Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is a quest Storyline? Or Side?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 15, 2013
Hi! I am currently in Krokotopia i have been trying to get through it as fast as a can, but the thing is that i end up doing quests that i don't have to. So i though it would be a cool idea if there was a way to identify if it is a sidequest or storyline quest. I also have a ideas for this, The exclamation mark above their head could be red if it as a storyline quest, and blue if it is a sidequest. Anyway i just though that might be a cool idea

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Not a bad idea. One way you might be able to tell is if you can refuse the quest. This was not always the case, but KI has gradually been making main quests impossible to refuse. I don't know if there are still any main quests that you can refuse to take. You still need to talk to the quest giver to find out though. In the past, there was a greater tendency for people to accidentally bypass quests which are required to advance, and then later they discovered they had lost the main thread.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Gravity338 on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
Hi! I am currently in Krokotopia i have been trying to get through it as fast as a can, but the thing is that i end up doing quests that i don't have to. So i though it would be a cool idea if there was a way to identify if it is a sidequest or storyline quest. I also have a ideas for this, The exclamation mark above their head could be red if it as a storyline quest, and blue if it is a sidequest. Anyway i just though that might be a cool idea
Any quest you can decline is a side quest. That's pretty simple. I don't see the need to change it.
Now changing or tagging them once they are in your spellbook/list of quests, that I am all for.

And I wouldn't rush through everything quite so quickly. Skipping all side quests is going to mean you are a low level hitting those more difficult worlds...and that is going to be a problem.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2013
Explorer
Feb 02, 2014
RavenLady777 on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
Any quest you can decline is a side quest. That's pretty simple. I don't see the need to change it.
Now changing or tagging them once they are in your spellbook/list of quests, that I am all for.

And I wouldn't rush through everything quite so quickly. Skipping all side quests is going to mean you are a low level hitting those more difficult worlds...and that is going to be a problem.
I agree, make it easily identifiable in your list of quests. Would help a lot

Survivor
Dec 30, 2013
Another way to tell is if a new quest has an questionmark it is storyline bit if it is an exclamation point then it is side quest. (Will not work if the symbol is greyed out already)
Hope this Helps!
-Chase DragonTamer lvl 57
-Chris StormRider Lvl 12

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
wizard101 central has all the quest trees outlined. All you have to do is go to the quests tab, then -quest trees tab, and you can find the quest trees for all the areas. These show you main storyline and side quests too. here is a link to the one for krok:
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Quest:Krokotopia_Quest_Tree

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I think it would be a very good idea to have something that differentiates main quests from side quests, both when you're talking to the NPC and once it's in your quest log. Sometimes you get an NPC that's giving you a story line quest but also a side quest at the same time, so it would also be nice to have the same sort of indicator in the list of options you have to choose from while talking to them.

One question I have though because I've never declined a quest. If you decline a quest, is it gone forever, or can you go back to the NPC at a later time and pick it up again? That's one of the reasons I never decline them is because even though it's a pain to sort through all of the quests in the quest log at time, I don't want to run the risk of losing all of the potential XP that comes from side quests.

If declining completely eliminates the quest, maybe a "Not Now" option would be a nice addition too. But if declining already works that way, then an option like that is obviously not needed.

Administrator
Hello,

If you decline a quest, you can go back and pick it up later.

community@wizard101.com