Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 9-19-14

AuthorMessage
Administrator
It's Friday, it's time for feedback, so let's get to it!

This week, let's talk about our precious pets... I actually have a few questions for you. Do you rename your pet? If so, how often? What is your favorite pet's name? Also, do you have a pet named Baby Abby?

Looking forward to hearing about your companions. Have a fantastic weekend, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Community Leader
I don't have a pet named Baby Abby. XD

I rarely rename my pets.

DuelCircle Organizer. The Slowpoke Sloth is the best.
Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
I do sometimes rename my pets but never until i have trained them. ( I think it's bad luck to change the name before training) Oscar is my favorite name. and no i do not have a pet named baby Abby.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I sometimes rename them, but only after training them to max level. I will rename if they come up with a name I already have just to avoid confusion. My most used pets are all Enchanted Armaments:

Max has +15 Proof/Defy, Sprite, Fairy and MC Pierce
Minnie has +14 Proof/Defy, Sprite, Fairy and MC Pierce
Maxwell has +15 Proof/Defy, Sprite, Fairy and Unicorn

You can see why they got those names

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I prefer single named pets like Fluffy for my Mega Deep Leviathan. I only change pet names when the random name generator comes up with unintended,yet interesting results like Princess David, or Prince Mary.

While there's nothing wrong with either of these names, I wish you could select male or female, and the random name generator would limit male pets to having male names, and female pets having female names.

I'd also love to be able to add or create my own pet names. They could be submitted for review, and then be used on any of my pets anytime I want in the future.

Survivor
Mar 12, 2011
Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Professor Falmea on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
It's Friday, it's time for feedback, so let's get to it!

This week, let's talk about our precious pets... I actually have a few questions for you. Do you rename your pet? If so, how often? What is your favorite pet's name? Also, do you have a pet named Baby Abby?

Looking forward to hearing about your companions. Have a fantastic weekend, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
Hi Prof Falmea,
I often rename my pets, usually to try and get something that represents their school or talents. For example, my Triton is named Prince Sparky, my snowball is named Madame Misty etc.
It's not always possible to do this with the limited choices so I hope at some stage KI retires some names and introduces others

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
I do rename my pets, but only if they are generous to me and don't fail. ;)

All of my failures end up roaming around empty houses, so there is no reason why I would be particular in those names. However, when a pet finally succeeds, I do like to show it off and come up with a clever name to suit the purpose and feel of my perfect pet!

Hmmm....favorite name. This is tricky because there are so many good ones! I'm personally a fan of the "pet names," the ones that sound like and feel like pet names. Names like Duncan, Amber, Ellie, ones that our wizards could be called, don't excite me and give me that pet feel. I like names like Cocoa, Bandit, Whiskers, Spike, Shadow, etc....ones that can relate to, and match the personality of my pet.

And sadly no, because of the reasons listed above, I don't have a pet named Baby Abby. Although now that you mention it, maybe I should? ;)

~Vanessa Mythdust

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
Well I always rename my pets. I don't like having a first part of the name, like baby or king.. the name I always pick for a keeper pet is Precious.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2010
When i get a new pet from a boss i always rename it i only rename it once
And i don't have a pet named baby abby
Stephen Pixiedreamer

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I don't rename a pet until I know I am going to keep it. When I do rename the pet, I always remove the first part of the name, e.g. Baby, Lord, Lady, and Duke.

Survivor
Feb 22, 2011
When I started playing Wizard101, I changed a few pet names.
I do not anymore.
My favorite pet is = Phoenix, school quest pet, the bird is always with my Pyromancer, it helps me with healing in combat.
I have a pet named = Baby Abby, it's a Jellyfish with blue hat, a death pet, it is in my ice boy.

Pyromancer Level MAX (100)

Survivor
Nov 13, 2010
i only rename my pet once when i get it my favorite pets name is lord maximus and no i don't have a pet called baby Abby

Explorer
Sep 26, 2012
Hi!

wow, we talk about pet names, yay!
one of my oldest wish is to see some new pet's names added to the list, oh please make it real! ;+D

here is my pet name policy :
- I keep the random name on a pet until it becomes useful (so usually I don't rename until the pet isn't Mega)
- then it's allowed to drop the first name (Baby, Princess, King, etc) to get its own unique name
- I rename depending on my mood and the kind of pet (for example, obviously, Rex is a hound ;+)
- each Mega pet has a different name no other will have

I don't have one favorite pet's name but I usually like fun ones (Boomer, Diesel, Muffin, Whiskers...) more than real names

I already have 50 Mega pets, and yes I use them all (I have 6 wizards), switching between these pets depending on the needs : quests, PvP, hitter mode, healer mode, tank mode, etc or even for a specific dungeon because of its cheating bosses, and sometimes just for fun or to match my outfit, lol (yeah I'm crazy ;+P
that's also why they all have a different name

and to get there I have tons of other pets with random names and keep them to work on new lines ;+)
strangely, I never had a Baby Abby (or it was one of my million fails and I sold it, lol) but, among them, I have a Baby Abbey (my 1st Darkwalker ;+D

and that's also why I dream about new names, there are still a lot I didn't use but I don't like all the names and wish to have more choice ;+)

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
I think I changed the pet name once but I don't know for sure.. I am happy with the names they give me. :) But I love the Baby Abby name! :)

Defender
Apr 08, 2011
I only rename my pets if they're brand new and have a random name like "Princess Diego." My favorite pet is my brave hound named Spike, he's basically the only pet I level up!

Melissa daydreamer

Hero
May 02, 2009
I rarely rename my pets, as I'm generally just pretty satisfied with what the random name generator chooses for my pet names in the end there as well, regardless of how wacky they can often be there at times.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2011
I didn't know that I could rename pets, but I think I will in the future. Whenever I have bought starfish (like in celestia) or pets from the crown shop, I've carefully chosen their names. My favorites are Cookie and Lord Fluffy. And no, I don't have a pet named Baby Abbey, but after reading this, I've figured out that all pets dropped used to be called baby abbey :)

Survivor
Sep 27, 2012
I rename pets when they get the talents I want after training them, otherwise I don't change them even if they have a boy/girl combination like Princess Rufus, and I don't have a pet named Baby Abby

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Odd, i thought I posted on this, so sorry if it later shows up twice.

I don't usually rename because I don't want to confuse my hatching records but sometimes change them for finished pets.

I have at least one Baby Abby - a Pegasus Pony on my Balance wizard.

It would be nice to have more name options for both pets and wizards.

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
I always rename them. The randomly generated names never fit.

Nope, no Baby Abby.

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Legendary Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Master Sorcerer
Sabrina Boomblossom, Adept Theurgist

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I'm sure I have a Baby Abby somewhere in my menagerie.

I usually rename my pets to single names. But I like giving them either very-appropriate (a crystalline fossil named Spike) or very silly (a therizinosaurus named Fluffy) names.

-von 'owner of a polar cat named Kitty' shadowsong
(what's the point of a pet that won't come when you call it?)

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I'd rename all of my Krakens if Phil was an option.

But typically I only rename the pets that wind up being my permanent pets. Most of them however retain their system generated name.

When I do rename them, like the system generated names I tend to lean more towards silly names. Reptilian and fish pets I'll name Fluffy, things like Pixies I'll name Brutus, just stuff like that. Of course no matter what kind of pet it is, my wizard named Flint Stone will pretty much always have a pet named Pebbles.

I probably do have a pet named Baby Abby, but I don't know for sure. I have so many pets, I have no idea what all of their names are.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2010
Hi!

In the game, I don't think I've ever changed a pet name. I feel like the name the pet hatched with is the name the pet is stuck with. Unless I really dislike a pet name, I don't think I will be changing it.

And no, I don't have a pet named Baby Abby

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I have a Red Ghost named Baby Abby.

I don't usually bother to rename pets, but I might sometime.