Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hatching protocols?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 11, 2014
Ok, so I am level 50 pyromancer, as my main account. I have NOT yet hatched a pet. Only decent pets I have with a semi-hi number (preceding the DNA strand symbol), and provide decent cards at baby for my wizard are my Tiki Kahuna which is 58, and Helephant which is 53. I realized the higher this number is, seems to indicate that the pet overall has better abilities that can be learned such as epic, ultra-rare, common, etc. and is in fact a better pet, potentially...?

My first question is this, is there any way to definitively have any control over what abilities one's pet learns? Training certain attributes; such as will, strength etc. and feeding it certain pet snacks before it ranks up? Example, if I train my pet, feed it NO snacks VERSUS training my pet, and feeding it snacks that it LIKES and LOVES, before, say it ranks into an adult, does this significantly impact what abilitiy it may, and/or will learn?

Another question, is there some formula to hatching pets, to receive better offspring, and adopt good abilities, versus weed out bad abilities in the offspring's gene pool? Such an example is the following, pretend my Tiki Kahuna, and Helephant hatch together hypothetically speaking. Scenario no.1 Both my Tiki Kahuna, and Helephant are ADULTS, they hatch to get offspring (C). Scenario no. 2 Both my Tiki Kahuna, and Helephant are MEGA, they hatch to get offspring (C). Would offspring (C) in Scenario no. 2 be better/stronger in any way, shape, or form as opposed to the offspring in Scenario no. 1?

I sincerely hope my questions are clear to understand, I hope I can get some sort of logical, factual answers to these questions from someone that has a lot of hatching experience. Perhaps my questions cannot be answered in full, and the whole lot of it is, well, luck? Thank you all that take the time to read this, and validate it with answers! Have a good day :)

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Valdus Stormtalon on Sep 4, 2014 wrote:
Ok, so I am level 50 pyromancer, as my main account. I have NOT yet hatched a pet. Only decent pets I have with a semi-hi number (preceding the DNA strand symbol), and provide decent cards at baby for my wizard are my Tiki Kahuna which is 58, and Helephant which is 53. I realized the higher this number is, seems to indicate that the pet overall has better abilities that can be learned such as epic, ultra-rare, common, etc. and is in fact a better pet, potentially...?

My first question is this, is there any way to definitively have any control over what abilities one's pet learns? Training certain attributes; such as will, strength etc. and feeding it certain pet snacks before it ranks up? Example, if I train my pet, feed it NO snacks VERSUS training my pet, and feeding it snacks that it LIKES and LOVES, before, say it ranks into an adult, does this significantly impact what abilitiy it may, and/or will learn?

Another question, is there some formula to hatching pets, to receive better offspring, and adopt good abilities, versus weed out bad abilities in the offspring's gene pool? Such an example is the following, pretend my Tiki Kahuna, and Helephant hatch together hypothetically speaking. Scenario no.1 Both my Tiki Kahuna, and Helephant are ADULTS, they hatch to get offspring (C). Scenario no. 2 Both my Tiki Kahuna, and Helephant are MEGA, they hatch to get offspring (C). Would offspring (C) in Scenario no. 2 be better/stronger in any way, shape, or form as opposed to the offspring in Scenario no. 1?

I sincerely hope my questions are clear to understand, I hope I can get some sort of logical, factual answers to these questions from someone that has a lot of hatching experience. Perhaps my questions cannot be answered in full, and the whole lot of it is, well, luck? Thank you all that take the time to read this, and validate it with answers! Have a good day :)
This site has the best pet guides I have found to answers all my pet questions with.

http://www.duelist101.com/category/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/

http://www.duelist101.com/community/thepetguide/developing-pet-step-step/

If you have the time and patience pets can be hatched just the way you want them.

Mary

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
In answer to your first question, no, there is no way to control what talents your pet manifests. Which talents a pet manifests is random.

To answer your second question, a hatched offspring's pool is a random mix of from both parents. Whether the pet is adult or mega does not matter. I have noticed in my own hatching that if a talent is manifested in both parents it, more often than not, is transferred to the offspring; that is no guarantee, however, given how the randomness built into the hatching process.

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Legendary Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Master Sorcerer
Sabrina Boomblossom, Adept Theurgist

Survivor
Feb 13, 2014
First of all the talents that the offspring attain cannot be controlled it is fixed at the time of hatching. The snack or game you play doesn't affect the talent it will learn.

Secondly, The offspring in both the scenario will be having the same talents in the pool but attaining them would be different which is completely random

Which pet you receive at the time of hatching is random you have no control of that what so ever, many people say if you click ready first you get the opposite pet and some other say you click second to get the opposite pet but it has never worked for me i think its just a mere coincidence that happen to those people 1 in 3 tries you can get the opposite pet you hatch with.

Now about deducting a undesirable talent from the pet, it is not a easy task to be done. in order to do it you have to hatch two pets of the same talent you want to remove you have a chance of getting it removed from the offspring. But it is never perfect and doesn't have a 100% chance of getting it removed check the offspring talent slots if the undesired talent is there if its not there then you have successfully removed it, if not try again

If you have any more doubts feel free to ask, i'm always ready to answer.

The things i have given is not copied or interpreted from any guides or websites, it is of my own findings and experience. If there is any wrong information given by me please let me know.

Thank you

Charles greenstone lvl80
pet lover

Survivor
Jul 11, 2014
Ok, I since this post, I have hatched, and learned quite a bit. Thank you all for answering my questions! It really helped! Yes it seems to adopt abilities, and flush out others is just a matter of trial and error, along with a lot of gold and patience. As you guys said, there is no definitive way to control what it will learn on its own from being trained. Besides having mutiple generations of a single pet until it learns what you want it to :P