Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Idea: Cloning

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
OK, I'm sure we have all had pets that start out great but then you train them up -- using a lot of time and snacks -- only to get a selfish talent or two at the high end, like Epic or Mega. What would be nice would be to be able to have a "do over" by "cloning" rather than "hatching". Cloning would require Ancient or above, would only involve 1 pet (rather than 2), and would produce a slightly-younger version that is one step "lower" (e.g., an Ancient pet, when cloned, would be Adult) and has the same attributes for those levels as the original. I would expect cloning to cost about double to double-and-a-half what hatching would cost, as you are getting back a partially trained-up pet. Also, there would be no guarantee as to what you would get if you train the clone from that point -- you might get the same thing, or you might get one of the other things. This wouldn't give you pets that are any more powerful than their potential, but it would cut down on the "duds" and you would have more room in that one house that has all the forgotten pets out on the back 40. Just a thought. Thanks!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Hrothgar the Thoug... on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
OK, I'm sure we have all had pets that start out great but then you train them up -- using a lot of time and snacks -- only to get a selfish talent or two at the high end, like Epic or Mega. What would be nice would be to be able to have a "do over" by "cloning" rather than "hatching". Cloning would require Ancient or above, would only involve 1 pet (rather than 2), and would produce a slightly-younger version that is one step "lower" (e.g., an Ancient pet, when cloned, would be Adult) and has the same attributes for those levels as the original. I would expect cloning to cost about double to double-and-a-half what hatching would cost, as you are getting back a partially trained-up pet. Also, there would be no guarantee as to what you would get if you train the clone from that point -- you might get the same thing, or you might get one of the other things. This wouldn't give you pets that are any more powerful than their potential, but it would cut down on the "duds" and you would have more room in that one house that has all the forgotten pets out on the back 40. Just a thought. Thanks!
I honestly don't see the point. You never lose the original pet, so why on earth spend money to clone it?

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
I like the idea, but I personally think that this would get abused very quickly by players. Imagine someone getting a pet with really really good traits just clones it over and over, and gets a pet with the abilities they had on the previous one, plus the chance at more very good traits. I think something like this would have to cost crowns just to help avoid abusing this feature. I personally love it though, because I have quite a few pets that i wish i could go back, or restart.

I also think if you did this cloning thing, it would have to make the new pet baby, because otherwise you could pay a few crowns, or a little bit of gold, and have a pet at ancient, epic, or maybe even mega!

That is my two cents on this topic, I hope they add something like this though, it would be very interesting for players to use.
-TheXboxGuy

Survivor
Aug 18, 2009
Yes, like the person above me said, it should cost crowns, not gold. It will be quickly abused, but I do agree, it takes so much money, including real money, and time to train a pet that turns out to be worthless. (I got Sharp-shooter on my mega talent) Pet cloning would be an excellent idea for players that have multiple wizards on their account, so they don't have to train a perfect pet for not only one, but up to 6 wizards. So great idea overall, but there needs to be enough handicaps that it is not abused, like maybe only being able to clone once a day and it costing crowns.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
hey, The XBoxGuy and The Ice Lord, those are good points, thanks.

I had not considered the idea of creating pets for alts. It might make sense to have clones be "No Trade", which would cut down on "duplicating abuse" just to hand out pets to your other characters. While some pets are very school-specific, many have very general usefulness.

Cloning once per day (or having some other long "cool down") sounds like a good limitation as well.

I had originally figured a 2x to 2.5x cost increase in gold, as compared to the cost of a normal hatching of the same pet, would make this an expensive proposition, and would put the range for most "pretty good" pets in about the 65k-90k gold range. But I could see a crowns cost of about the cost of a "regular" just-bought pet of that type would make sense, too -- on the one hand, the pet would be partially trained up, but you would be paying crowns twice if starting with a crown-purchased pet, or once for a drop or vendor pet or already-bred pet. You would have to have some provision for later generation pets that might be much higher than a "new" pet of that type, and not all pets can be bought with crowns, so maybe just a simple formula of a "crowns cost" per point of pedigree of the pet to clone would work. I agree it should be expensive so as not to be abused, but not too expensive so no one wants to take advantage of it.

I think a "No Trade" aspect is a must. A cool-down should also be in place whether it costs crowns or a LOT of gold, or maybe a shorter cool-down when they pay in crowns if both methods were allowed. It might be nice to allow a "pay in gold" cloning maybe once a month, with a "pay in crowns" be about once a week. Maybe cut each cool-down in half for members.

Thanks! Regardless of the finer details, I really hope KI does something like this.