Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Oh Gosh, Pvp'ers....

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 13, 2013
Sorry Ki. I just need to talk out loud for one minute.

Since when did PVP come like this? I mean, I can't go into pvp without someone saying mean things.
Usually I have to flee by force. I think everyone might hack me. Tonight now I am making a new character hoping to level her up to 5 ( and at least not be called a noob, she can attack and defeat easily.) so I can get her to warlord. Still though, Pvp'ers make fun things.... harsh. And that means a new idea is up in my head! If you need to KI can look up the chat logs after every match to make sure nothing too "offensive" after the match. Now, back on topic.

For a second there, when I started playing seeing these "offensive" comments, I thought that KI was making a joke out of pvp. Nope, it was real people behind the keyboard, acting too offensive for this family friendly game.

I think Wizard101 has gone out of the kid friendly zone.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I agree with you, we're way past due for some help with mean people in the game. In my view, it is a disease that is going to do irreversible damage if something isn't done quick to head it off, keep it from spreading more than it has.

Big problems with bad attitudes in the game:
  • Hall monitors apparently don't do PvP, mostly just hang out around the Dye Shop.
  • Mean people don't believe reporting actually does anything, so they act up even more.
  • KI hasn't rolled out new controls that make it easy to prevent hateful behavior, such as a spectator and/or total PvP chat-locks which could be toggled with a single button click.
  • Attempts to suggest solutions are continually misunderstood, and people keep thinking we don't understand how to use options that already exist. (Actually, we do!)

It's logically simple. If you know where people are going to be mean, don't let them be mean. Don't take an enforcement view, stop it before it happens. There would never be a problem to begin with, and people would never have to feel afraid of getting hacked, bullied, or anything else.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Autumn Summerstone on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:

Since when did PVP come like this? I mean, I can't go into pvp without someone saying mean things.
Usually I have to flee by force. I think everyone might hack me. Tonight now I am making a new character hoping to level her up to 5 ( and at least not be called a noob, she can attack and defeat easily.) so I can get her to warlord. Still though, Pvp'ers make fun things.... harsh. And that means a new idea is up in my head! If you need to KI can look up the chat logs after every match to make sure nothing too "offensive" after the match. Now, back on topic.

For a second there, when I started playing seeing these "offensive" comments, I thought that KI was making a joke out of pvp. Nope, it was real people behind the keyboard, acting too offensive for this family friendly game.

This is why I won't do PvP. Ever again.

Just watching matches makes my blood boil. The people are SO rude, obnoxious and just plain nasty.

KI needs to seriously take a look at this rather than ignoring everyone's complaints.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
I think Wizard101 has been out of the Kid friendly zone for a long time. Some appear to think
it's a recent thing, but the rude comments, and unfriendly language has been going on since
early 2010, I can state that for sure.
I would question if KI has the resources to monitor all the PvP conversations.

I find that most of the rude comments in PVP matches, come when a Jade player is playing
against a Non Jade player.

I will also say that the Report Button has gotten out of control, and I expect that is part of the problelm.
I was reported several times, and everyone else watching a match, for simply talking. At no time did I say anything offensive, to anyone there, to any degree. Yet, one of my Wizards was reported several times.

I am not one to be rude, vulgar or insultive in the game, or at least I think that is true.

On the flip side of that, I would also like to state, that in the last 25 matches, I have only had
one person that was rude, vlugar and used language outside the E10 rating.
A few now say either GG/GJ, or most just port and say nothing. I do get the "You are so lucky" stuff,
but I expect that.

Defender
May 11, 2012
I agree. This game ceased being kid-friendly a LONG time ago for MANY reasons.

As to hall monitors, it has been so long since I have seen one doing anything about the problems in the Commons and other places that I thought they weren't in the game any longer.

And, you are right. A LOT of people think being reported is a huge joke. They brag about how many times they have been reported, brag about how many bans (permanent and otherwise) they have received, and brag about how many new wizards they have made because of the bans. They just don't care; they just turn around, make a new wizard, and start causing problems all over again. The free players could care less if they are banned, because it is doesn't cost them anything but a couple minutes of there time to make a new character.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Some players in the game and PVP with limited social skills, or anger issues make it really tough to be around them for very long. Who hasn't heard the phrase:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones / But names will never hurt me"

But in reality, a person's actions, behavior, and words they choose can be hurtful and mean.

Eleanor Roosevelt says "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Its a shame another player's offensive behavior gets them reported and ignored; but its their choice to act this way.

And just as they choose to act this way, I choose never to be another person's doormat or punching bag. When I make another player aware of their offensive behavior and they choose not to stop; I click the ignore button.

Be grateful your time with such individuals is limited to a battle, dungeon or PVP match only.

Imagine having to spell a day, week, or lifetime around such folks. Remember, you're here for you, and not them.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I turn off chat bubbles, close chat box, and turn off PvP chat before heading into the arena. I haven't been bothered since!!!!

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013

You have to flee by force? No one can force you to flee. I really doubt anyone can actually get into KI's system and delete you/remove items.

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
There will always be people who play just to argue and if you argue back it will just get worse. Complimenting them on anything will help a lot to stop it, but being rude back will NEVER end it.

Insults are only offensive if you make them to be. The old definition of "noob" was a new player to a game. My definition of a "noob/cheater or any other name that comes from a poor sport" is - An amazingly awesome strategy that either your opponent did not see coming, or they did and couldn't stop it.

If someone calls you a noob for winning, just agree that you are a noob. You can't have a one sided argument, it requires two or more people. Otherwise they will look weird talking to themselves.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was thinking this isn't so much a thread about how to handle being unhappy, where we insert motivational platitudes about dancing in the rain.

I was understanding a subtext of "KI, can't we do better than this by now?" It shouldn't always be on us to go zen or grow a thicker skin every time someone is nasty. Why can't we just stop people from being nasty?

Squire
May 10, 2013

The point of your opponent saying harsh, offensive and rude things is because they want to make you "rage" quit.
Rage quitting is a strategy used by cyber-bullies, so you can be said, they feel good, and they win.

KI doesn't have a hall monitor in each PVP match (I don't think there are THAT many hall monitors)
Which is a problem, so we can get revenge on those who seek to make us rage quit.

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
Robobot1747 on Jun 28, 2014 wrote:
You have to flee by force? No one can force you to flee. I really doubt anyone can actually get into KI's system and delete you/remove items.
I didn't mean I HAVE to flee. They're just so offensive I report them, ignore them, and flee. ( Actually my parents want me fleeing from offensive matches)

Survivor
Apr 29, 2014
I have reported people in PvP matches and areas a lot for constantly cursing around the filter. Which it says to do so. They say nothing will happen to them and you know what? So far nothing has. Even when 5 people report it. pvp ugliness has gotten out of hand. This should be a family oriented game. Kid friendly. One even threatened to hack my friends account because she won. Still nothing happened to the guy.

I know he can't but real life threats need to be dealt with. Anyhow I have noticed just horrible people in the pvp areas lately who only have a robe. They stand around and troll when they haven't done much at all in pvp then someone disagrees and the cursing and real life threats begin. Would be nice if KI handled this.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Lucas Rain on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was thinking this isn't so much a thread about how to handle being unhappy, where we insert motivational platitudes about dancing in the rain.

I was understanding a subtext of "KI, can't we do better than this by now?" It shouldn't always be on us to go zen or grow a thicker skin every time someone is nasty. Why can't we just stop people from being nasty?
I agree. You have had some great posts on this issue for quite a while now. Thanks for your contributions.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
Lucas Rain on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:

"Why can't we just stop people from being nasty?
This is the exact topic that FinnAgainWindRider and I have been discussing.
We clearly have different ideas on the topic, while Finn's idea is clearly the better option.

One of the things that has given me my point of view, is the belief that people only change if the want
to change. The people in this game, just don't seem to want to change, imo.

Maybe it's because they have poor role models, maybe not, but whatever the case,
no mater what I seem to say, it just doesn't seem to have any affect. After multiple
years of dealing with this, I have finally decided to just press the ignore button.
I no longer report, and put the burden on KI, as I feel muting someone just allows them
to move to a different account.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
PlayHard101 on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
The point of your opponent saying harsh, offensive and rude things is because they want to make you "rage" quit.
Rage quitting is a strategy used by cyber-bullies, so you can be said, they feel good, and they win.

KI doesn't have a hall monitor in each PVP match (I don't think there are THAT many hall monitors)
Which is a problem, so we can get revenge on those who seek to make us rage quit.
This strategy was all started by John Mcenroe (a tennis star years back), and has been picked up
by a multitude of players since, in different sports. Oldly enough, it has been a strategy that many
have used in PVP for many years now. The point is to get your mind off the match, or upset you,
so the cyber-bully can win. Does it work, yep, I have watched the tactic work in many a match.
Is it considered cheap, certainly by me, but I'm sure there are many that will disagree with me.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
IcicleWar on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
"Why can't we just stop people from being nasty?
This is the exact topic that FinnAgainWindRider and I have been discussing.
We clearly have different ideas on the topic, while Finn's idea is clearly the better option.

One of the things that has given me my point of view, is the belief that people only change if the want
to change. The people in this game, just don't seem to want to change, imo.

Maybe it's because they have poor role models, maybe not, but whatever the case,
no mater what I seem to say, it just doesn't seem to have any affect. After multiple
years of dealing with this, I have finally decided to just press the ignore button.
I no longer report, and put the burden on KI, as I feel muting someone just allows them
to move to a different account.
Actually, on this practical point, we do somewhat agree. I turn off chat balloons, keep dialogue boxes closed during matches. I find it is necessary to keep me focused on the game, and I don't want to give any energy to people using nasty chat either for tactical reasons or just plain meanness. When I forget to turn off chat, I hit ignore if talk goes bad. Given the current state of the PVP culture, these measures are necessary for me to keep the negative energy out of my own experience as much as possible.

However, I completely agree with Lucas Rain, that we should not have to resort to such measures. For instance, if KI kept audience chat from being heard in the fighting ring during matches, that alone would cut down on a lot of the bad behavior -- both cat-calling and also friends informing their friends of the other player's spell choices. If in-match chat was limited to drop-down options, that would cut down on a lot of the cheap and foul chat that some players use.

People could still chat openly after matches, so friendships could be nurtured still. We would likely still get some inappropriate conversation then, but it would be cut down by a lot just by keeping it out of the actual dueling ring. Perhaps It would also be possible to leave open chat available for friends who are in the ring together -- using the friend chat, rather than the universal chat.

These are just ideas -- but I think it is possible to find some way to limit the excessive rudeness now seen frequently in the arena, and to thereby generally improve the culture of PVP. I think we should work toward that goal both here on the boards, and in encouraging KI to move in that direction.

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
Alright, not enough caps up top, so... here I go into a more "deep" conversation, on a message.

So pvp has been nice lately in the 2008's huh? Why isn't it now? Is it because spammers get on people's nerves? Or is it the "rage quit" strategy explained up above? Then again, what made PVP so bad? So bad that KI has so many message board messages about it? Well, in my opinion its the players that made it terrible. Sadly, KI would try to fix it, but Hall Monitors ( and possibly moderators) can't do this alone. KI should have the whole entire game have hall monitors ( like you and me). And maybe have rainbow space junk flying all over the arena :P ( just kidding)

Although KI can't do anything about it, they can ban PVP chat. If the players can't behave in a "kid friendly" game, the only thing to do is ban pvp chat...