Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP Audience Troubles: Rudeness Necessary?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Here I am, back again but this time to complain about something OTHER than unfair matches. I actually need to address two problems, but since the other one is a bit... Different but related to PvP, I might decide to just create a new topic for it.

Here I am, having an 2v2 exalted match (I have a level 100 Fire) and someone in the audience starts babbling about me. First, it seems harmless since he just says what badge I have which is Samurai: "Miranda is a Samurai" but then it suddenly gets rude with senseless hate. "But where's her gear gone? All I see is training "crop" (he bypassed the filter here, and excuse me if I am as well)" And then the other people beat us and he says that we deserved it. Now, my question is WHY do we deserve it? I ignored and reported him for "Unnecessary rudeness" (I might have spelt unnecessary wrong though, but it should still be understandable)

You'd think it end there but for some reason we face those same people again (for 3 times, actually! Even though both me and my partner ignored them since people said that ignoring them meant we won't have to face them again!) and he is in the crowd again. The last time we actually won but my cousin said in the middle of the match he started bypassing the filter further. I could state them here but considering I already posted one, it's best if I don't. It's much more unpleasant than the other one.

Seriously though, can't we have nice audiences that don't eat at us for losing or randomly try to infuriate us? This isn't the first time it's happened but this is the most severe one, really. It didn't help either facing those same people 3 times in a row with him in the audience. I guess I'm sort of saying we need more filters and you could say I might just be overreacting but I really don't need such unpleasant experiences in a game I like to play with my family. Especially since some of my cousins are younger than I and I'd rather they be exposed to such words later. I don't need them asking me "What does he mean by that" and then I have to tell him or I could pass it off. But passing it off would just get him curious and look up it and I'm sure he'll find it even if it's bypassing it.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2013
Xiouen on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
Here I am, back again but this time to complain about something OTHER than unfair matches. I actually need to address two problems, but since the other one is a bit... Different but related to PvP, I might decide to just create a new topic for it.

Here I am, having an 2v2 exalted match (I have a level 100 Fire) and someone in the audience starts babbling about me. First, it seems harmless since he just says what badge I have which is Samurai: "Miranda is a Samurai" but then it suddenly gets rude with senseless hate. "But where's her gear gone? All I see is training "crop" (he bypassed the filter here, and excuse me if I am as well)" And then the other people beat us and he says that we deserved it. Now, my question is WHY do we deserve it? I ignored and reported him for "Unnecessary rudeness" (I might have spelt unnecessary wrong though, but it should still be understandable)

You'd think it end there but for some reason we face those same people again (for 3 times, actually! Even though both me and my partner ignored them since people said that ignoring them meant we won't have to face them again!) and he is in the crowd again. The last time we actually won but my cousin said in the middle of the match he started bypassing the filter further. I could state them here but considering I already posted one, it's best if I don't. It's much more unpleasant than the other one.

Seriously though, can't we have nice audiences that don't eat at us for losing or randomly try to infuriate us? This isn't the first time it's happened but this is the most severe one, really. It didn't help either facing those same people 3 times in a row with him in the audience. I guess I'm sort of saying we need more filters and you could say I might just be overreacting but I really don't need such unpleasant experiences in a game I like to play with my family. Especially since some of my cousins are younger than I and I'd rather they be exposed to such words later. I don't need them asking me "What does he mean by that" and then I have to tell him or I could pass it off. But passing it off would just get him curious and look up it and I'm sure he'll find it even if it's bypassing it.
Yeah I have been in a similar situation too... except before I got a chance to report it they teleported away.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I still think we neeed a total chat lock option for PvP.

We should not have to switch ourselves to menu and blocked chat to ensure that mean kids won't spoil the fun. We shouldn't have the responsibility of ignoring every one of the hundred mean kids we run into. KI made the arena. KI made the chat function. I say they take responsibility for the ill-mannered chat climate that has started and do something about it, because player actions alone are pitifully inadequate to address the magnitude of the problem.

Explorer
May 08, 2014
I was in a 2v2 pvp and I thought it was gonna be a good game. Well not only was the opponent calling us noobs and saying we are bad at the game and that we should delete our accounts. But he also spammed tc and he was calling us noobs. It took a while to beat him considering he had way better gear than us because he was a commander with way better gear and we were only sgts. And after we beat him he said we cheated and reported us we shrugged it off but it made me decide to post this.

Please don't be childish and trash talk or be a sore loser it makes pvp horrible for everyone.

If you had a bad experience with a trash talker post it in the comments.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Personally I think a lot would be solved by simply changing the nature of spectators in PvP. Allow them to watch. Allow them to chat with each other all they want. BUT, don't allow the competitors in the arena see any of it. I understand the point of allowing spectators is to have friends cheering you on, so how about a compromise. The spectator can talk to the friend they ported to and their other friends, but the player on the other side can't see it. It would totally eliminate all the trash talking. Just stick a wall of silence between the sides. Allow players to talk to opponents, just exclude the crowd from being able to talk to the other side.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Unfortunately this happens in every PVP community that I've seen... but for some reason it mostly happens in W101. Usually never gets to the extreme that I've seen in other ones. Possibly because the chats in those aren't filtered out to the extreme so they never feel they have to curse because it's not restricted. In any case you did the right thing, reporting him when he went around the filter. As for how to deal with them next time. Usually responding with a bit of logic actually helps a lot. Many insults are based on sheer whim and a bit of logic will break them down almost instantly. Saying someone deserves it based on sheer opinion can easily be broken down with actual fact and (for lack of a better word) in fact a lot of insults can be broken down with fact as well. Good luck on dealing with rude ones like that and I hope this is helpful to some extent.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Ya, PVP and trolls, isnt it great?

Chances are you are dealing with one or more multi-boxing trolls, or a 'troll team'. You can always scroll up your chat window, click on the names, and take it from there.

Another thing you can do, if there is someone on you know/trust, message them letting them know about it, and see if they can port over, quietly, as a silent witness, so to speak. Things get too intense, report. They cross any lines and administration will see it in the review.

Thats why they flee coming on the end of the match. To get away from things before you are no longer being distracted by the match.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
O man i have this same exact problem nearly every match i have. Either they are saying my clothes look bad. Or their saying i have a terrible strategy. And my instances have been worse than that they cursing and swearing up a storm at me and all i did was join a match. Sometimes it gets even worse when i beat them cause then the person i beat starts it up too. I mean common i don't really get bothered by that kind of stuff but it sure is annoying me. I would much rather just play the game how i want to i dont need your opinions of how i should be doing stuff to be honest just get a life and do other stuff than harass other people over the internet. Just about had enough of people like that. The arguements go no where its not benificial for either side just want it to stop.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
If someone is just being annoying and rude, unfortunately it's not reportable. If that person is cursing or other things that are against the rules (like bullying & harassment), this is reportable.

What I've seen in the arena appalls me. I have met some really nice people, but for the most part, other PvP players and their friends are the rudest, nastiest people in the game. I quit PvP when they switched to the 2nd age. One, because I didn't want to rank my high-level wizards again, and two, because of the PvP attitudes I've run across, especially in the last two years.

I will sometimes watch matches, and if I see anyone breaking the rules, they are reported immediately

Administrator
Please avail yourself of the option to Block PvP Chat.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/updatenotes/december2009#PvP

Under Options is a setting that allows you to hide your opponent's Chat in Player vs Player combat. If you have this option enabled, during a PvP duel:
Anything you type cannot be seen by your opponents, but can be seen by your teammates and spectators.
Anything your opponents type you can’t see, but can be seen by their teammates and spectators.

All Menu Chat can be seen by everyone.
You can change this setting at any time, including during a PvP duel, but it will not take affect until the next turn.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Roland SilverHeart on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:
Please avail yourself of the option to Block PvP Chat.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/updatenotes/december2009#PvP

Under Options is a setting that allows you to hide your opponent's Chat in Player vs Player combat. If you have this option enabled, during a PvP duel:
Anything you type cannot be seen by your opponents, but can be seen by your teammates and spectators.
Anything your opponents type you can’t see, but can be seen by their teammates and spectators.

All Menu Chat can be seen by everyone.
You can change this setting at any time, including during a PvP duel, but it will not take affect until the next turn.
Roland, thanks, but we're saying that's really not enough anymore, and that we need better options. These might include a spectator chat lock or total chat lock. Please pass this information along.

Spectators can still creep up on you and be rude unless 1) you single each one out and ignore them, which is time consuming, or 2) you turn yourself to menu chat, which is excessive.

Survivor
Nov 17, 2011
Xiouen on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:

Well, something like that has happened to me before. Actually it happens often. Level 100 Cameron Anvilfinder.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
I hate to break it to you, but this is how PvP works. Friends are always going to come and trash talk, I will admit that in the past I have patronized my opponent or a friend's opponent for their choices. PvP is about strategy, luck, and wits, and I love PvP because it gives you a rush and a feeling of accomplishment when you come out on top. Being that as it may, people can sometimes get caught up in the moment and start trash talking when they know they're winning or losing, and it's natural human behavior.

My advice is to ignore it, don't even talk to them. Focus on killing their friend and winning the match, just so you can silently port away and make them really rage from not getting a rouse out of you.

We've all had the LOL'ers, the people who find everything hilarious when they realize they're about to lose.

Person: LOL I'm going to lose
Person: LOL she healed
Person: LOL she shielded
Person: LOL she attacked me
Person: LOOOL I'm still alive!
Person: LOL she wanded me
Person: LOL I'm dead
Person: LOL I lose

If someone is trash talking you in PvP they're either;
a. Trying to get your stats
b. Trying to get a rouse

So just ignore them, Kingsisle cannot filter every single thing, people will always find a way to bypass the filter and sometimes it's best to just let them be.

Defender
Jul 11, 2013
Sometimes, it's just what it is. Just ignore them when they're like that.

Defender
Dec 20, 2012
Yes, I agree, people are unbearable! I was watching my friend pvp, and people were making fun of his gear, and I was like, people, just stop! Anyways, I seriously agree with you. Rudness is not necessary!

----Cheyenne StormHunter Lvl 63

Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
I think they should have the audiance to talk (kind of) because they could check out what spell I am going to do and they could easily shout that out, which gives the person I am PvPing with a chance to defeat me (a bit). Second is because it can distract you from your battle. Which is obviously not a help. Third is because yes, the rudeness that people saldy do. It can also lower of what you think, and sometimes just make you stop trying.