Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 6-13-14

AuthorMessage
Administrator
The temperature is climbing out there, and so are my spirits! It's also Friday, so that makes me one happy Fire Professor!

Today, let's chat about second chance chests. Do you use them, or do you prefer to just run the dungeon again? Are there any second chance chests you use over others?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Professor Falmea on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
The temperature is climbing out there, and so are my spirits! It's also Friday, so that makes me one happy Fire Professor!

Today, let's chat about second chance chests. Do you use them, or do you prefer to just run the dungeon again? Are there any second chance chests you use over others?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
I rarely use them, and rarely run a dungeon again either. I'm not much for farming... I get what I get.

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
Yes, especially when I am farming for a specific item, I use the second chance chest. I use them up to about 250 crowns, then wait at least another day to use it again. I with they reset every dungeon run, like in Pirate101. I would use them more if that happened.

Defender
Sep 18, 2010

~ I personally prefer to just do the Dungeon over again mostly because I don't like to waste Crowns on something that will 80% of the time give me what I want. Not to mention the price goes up each time I put Crowns in. And lastly, if the Dungeon is a long one like Tartarus it's sort of fun to do it over again and I have a chance of getting more gold, drops to sell or feed to my pet, and some TC, etc. that I could use. ~

~ Sincerely, Umbra...

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Used them until got to the bosses without them

Survivor
Apr 01, 2012
I'd say i use them very rarely. On pirates I use them all the time because they only drop rare items, but I only get lame and useless stuff from the wizard101 ones

Survivor
Sep 06, 2009
I almost never use them to be honest. The only case i do use them, is when its a main boss and they give me a drop that isnt for my school.

ex. When i fought malistare, he droppped a robe instead of a robe (i'm life)... so i went to his chest and got it first try

Maybe instead of putting in crowns and getting a random return, have it as a shop screen that only has his drops. People can pay the 50 crowns for something they need and not something random. (only let them have one purchase permanently!)

Community Leader
Second chance chests are not worth it. I feel that adding this feature is very underhanded and encourages more spending of money.

Boooooooo.

DuelCircle Organizer. The Slowpoke Sloth is the best.
Champion
Aug 15, 2012
Emerald9649 on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:

~ I personally prefer to just do the Dungeon over again mostly because I don't like to waste Crowns on something that will 80% of the time give me what I want. Not to mention the price goes up each time I put Crowns in. And lastly, if the Dungeon is a long one like Tartarus it's sort of fun to do it over again and I have a chance of getting more gold, drops to sell or feed to my pet, and some TC, etc. that I could use. ~

~ Sincerely, Umbra...
Does tartarus even have a second chance chest? I don't really use chests because the items I really do want don't have chests associated with them.
Sarai Thunderstrider
Master

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
I prefer to run dungeons over and over again, because I'm lvl 43 and need to try some way to make a ton of gold for being such a Bazaar-aholic. lol
-Miranda Dreamsong
I love piggles, I love them so much
I trapped them in a cage is my office so I can see them every day

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
I used to, but stopped mostly because I never get anything good from them. Just another big waste of money. I'll just run the dungeons again. Not as easy but the chance of getting something good is just the same and it's free.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I'll admit it - Years ago, when I first started playing; I clicked on anything and everything I could!

Time passed, and I got more selective. Regarding second chance chests; I just don't click them anymore. Its a great idea, but I've never experienced a wow moment clicking one; because items received haven't been perceived having greater value or worth, or able to be used by the character being played.

Now, it's possible to get more players to click on them using a simple mouse-over effect that lets players know what potential items might be obtained by clicking on said second chance chests.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
Most of the time when I farm a dungeon its for a certain item if not stuff to sell for gold and usually if its that certain item that item isn't in that second chance chest! I have tested this more than once on the test realm, I farm for an item then go to second chance and waste crowns until the items in the chest cycle around and the item that I was farming for never showed up and even though it was test and crowns weren't really mine to keep showed me if it was done on live game a lot of crowns would be lost for nothing. so yeah in my opinion and my experience the second chance is only a crown drain. Dreamhunter, Hunter, Redblood, Lifegiver, Stormthief, Iceblade

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
I threw crowns in Loremaster's chest a couple of times when my first wizard reached her. Hers is the only chest I ever messed with, and that was ages ago.

I'm not one for farming either. I sporadically farmed Loremaster for a short while when my necromancer was in Dragonspyre and Celestia. My necromancer farmed the Gladiator in Aquila until she got what she wanted from him. I plan on having her farm Cronus every once in a while for the Blade of the Felled Titan. My other two wizards won't farm beyond those two in Aquila for the ring and athame (when the time comes) either.

I give many kudos to those with the patience, tenacity, and skill to farm the long dungeons until they get what they want/need. I'll do my one run and stay out of y'all's way!

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Master Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Adept Sorcerer

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Never. The odds are horrible. It's a waste of money.

Survivor
Jan 13, 2012
I still try the second chance chests every now and then. I don't recall ever getting anything exceptional in one of them. If there was just a little more chance of getting something better, I would probably try them more often. I dislike doing the long or really difficult dungeons over and over. (It took me about 400 battles to get the deer knight spell from the Loremaster. Thank goodness it's only one battle. lol)

Survivor
Dec 09, 2011
I have used them a few times but have only ever got rubbish gear that is usually of a lower level than my wizard. There has never ever been anything of any use to me in them. I gave up as I felt it was a total waste of crowns.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
I would use it more if the drops were any better than what we get in the fights. Let's face it, I am PAYING to use the second chance chest, but the drops aren't any better and usually drop the same thing I just got from the fight itself. Typically a waste of crowns and $$$.

Survivor
May 17, 2010
Only on pirate 101 i have more luck there I do not on wizards cause i never get anything but lame clothes and gold

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
I run the dungeon again. No point in wasting crowns. Now if it were in Hades...

Defender
Feb 09, 2009
i tried the second chance chests, didn't get anything better than i got running the dungeon. i prefer to run the dungeon again, crowns cost money and i already pay for the game.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2013
I think second chance chests are a waste of crowns, I never get anything good out of them and so i prefer to farm the dungeons for what I am looking for

Survivor
Sep 25, 2009
I personally have almost never used a second chance chest. Knowing that the items I might get with those crowns can be obtained by simply redoing the dungeon makes those crowns feel wasted. I also am not extremely particular about what gear I get, so I rarely get things I have been looking for. Besides, as Emerald 5649 mentioned, you get a pretty good overall profit by completing a whole dungeon instead of just using a chest. Overall, I think I might only use a chest if there was something I really really wanted, but otherwise, I'd forget about it.

Defender
May 11, 2012
I don't use second chance chests. Never really thought about them actually.

AutumnFairyDreamer Level 79

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
Run the dungeon over. I'll spend my crowns elsewhere.