Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP confusions?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2013
Hello, I have been an on and off Wizard101 user since the year of 2009. I recently made a new account due to the fact my old one was hacked by an old friend... Long story. Anyways, when I began playing W101 the PvP wasn't a big deal. Now all over the web you see 'PvP Lord' ect... I was just wondering what the big thing is with PvP? Like I just don't see why PvP is this big thing. All i know about it is that you play versus different players. I sound stupid, Sorry. Happy Wizarding

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
carolineskull on Jun 11, 2014 wrote:
Hello, I have been an on and off Wizard101 user since the year of 2009. I recently made a new account due to the fact my old one was hacked by an old friend... Long story. Anyways, when I began playing W101 the PvP wasn't a big deal. Now all over the web you see 'PvP Lord' ect... I was just wondering what the big thing is with PvP? Like I just don't see why PvP is this big thing. All i know about it is that you play versus different players. I sound stupid, Sorry. Happy Wizarding
Well, you are right it is really not "the big thing."

However, there are those who play PVP who do seem to think it is the big thing, and they can get very haughty about it. So there is a kind of "playground 'we-think-we-are-better-than-you' clique" that has formed among some of the PVP crowd. It can get unpleasant. It does seem to have grown lately, but it is still mostly centered in the arena.

Though I do play PVP sometimes, I personally do my best to ignore that crowd. More often than not, I find I have to close chat windows and ignore folks I encounter in the arena.

On the boards I like to lend my voice to the 'common person' players in Wizard101, who were the great friendly folks I knew when I first started playing a few years ago. It is the game as a whole that is "the big deal" in Wizard101, the whole spiral, the story, and the kind folks you can meet. That is where the delight lives, that is where the magic lives, that is what makes this game really wonderful.

The arena is a very small area in Unicorn Way. It always has been, it always will be. PVP is a little thing. Sometimes, when people are too attached to a little thing, their egos can get disproportionately big. But they only seem to be such big egos, because, in the greater scheme of things, the stakes are really quite small.

You don't sound stupid. You sound very wise, in fact. Happy Wizarding indeed!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
You don't sound stupid at all. A lot of us do not do PvP at all. I don't get the attraction either, honestly.
And welcome back!

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
As with any card game, there are hard levels, and PVP is the hardest level you can play, I believe.
When fighting a Boss, you can get a basic idea of how to beat him, and go in and win.
If you don't win the first battle, you get to try again, at no cost, but time.

Not the case with PVP, your battling another person, that can think as fast as you can.
They may or may not have a better set of gear, and a better pet to boost their stats.
The strategy and card selection will constantly change as you gain more knowledge.
PVP is a test of sorts, to see how you compare amoung those who take the dare.....
Some will falter and drop, some will stand the test of time, and some will rise....

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
PvP in Wizard101, as with many other games, is a platform where you can achieve markers of advanced social status by competing with other players. The main lure is that by winning often enough and increasing rank, you can get special items and badges. There is a significant secondary lure, however, in that advanced players tend to earn respect through their privileged station. Higher ranked players receive special treatment from other players, such as invitations to join better teams, better hatching partners, and so on. Many opponents in PvP simply flee the duel if they are facing high ranks, simply because their perception is that high ranks are so privileged. So, if winning is the currency one uses to increase rank and get items, badges, and respect, players care very deeply whether the PvP system allows them to win with reasonable ease. Thus, there are countless posts about things that people believe are unfair, overpowered, unbalanced, or otherwise excessive. That is how PvP is such a big deal.

Do you have to be involved in PvP to play this game or even be good at it? No. It is just another route people choose.