Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet questions and other noobie topics

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 18, 2014
First of all, let me start by saying I love this game and the players (for the most part). My daughter got me addicted to it and that's cool cause I love it. I mostly play on the Wu realm because I heard that was the 'adult ' server and I am an adult. I also found out very quickly that I should only friend players who can text message me. I am a Death Wizard with Ice trained up to Tower Shield and also have reshuffle.

Anyway I have a few noobie questions; first of all, my pet. After my free to play trial I bought a subscription and some crowns. I did some pet research and bought an Ianthine Spectre and leveled it to mega using mega-snack packs and energy boosts. I just hoped that some veteran players could tell me what they think of it's stats. Here they are:

IANTHINE SPECTRE

strength: max 190
intellect: max 300
agility: max 200
will: max 265
power: max 275

TALENTS

pip' o plenty: +5% (uncommon)
mana gift: +112 max (rare)
astute: +50 max intellect (unknown)
deathgiver: +6% death attack (unknown)
careful : +25% will and power (unknown)

I've only tried the derby one time and am clueless but here are it's derby stats. (btw I came in last haha)

stonewall: 40s cooldown (rare)
think fast: 45s cooldown (rare)
bananas: 60s cooldown (rare)
leech: 60s cooldown (uncommon)
lock: 60s cooldown (uncommon

Also he summons a death minion with X number of pips.

Anyway, any tips on how to play my primary school, soloing, secondary and tertiary spells, or any other advice for an adult new player would be greatly appreciated.
Feel free to say hi and add me as a friend in game.

~Digby Deathstalker

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Hyrkulon on Jun 8, 2014 wrote:
First of all, let me start by saying I love this game and the players (for the most part). My daughter got me addicted to it and that's cool cause I love it. I mostly play on the Wu realm because I heard that was the 'adult ' server and I am an adult. I also found out very quickly that I should only friend players who can text message me. I am a Death Wizard with Ice trained up to Tower Shield and also have reshuffle.

Anyway I have a few noobie questions; first of all, my pet. After my free to play trial I bought a subscription and some crowns. I did some pet research and bought an Ianthine Spectre and leveled it to mega using mega-snack packs and energy boosts. I just hoped that some veteran players could tell me what they think of it's stats. Here they are:

IANTHINE SPECTRE

strength: max 190
intellect: max 300
agility: max 200
will: max 265
power: max 275

TALENTS

pip' o plenty: +5% (uncommon)
mana gift: +112 max (rare)
astute: +50 max intellect (unknown)
deathgiver: +6% death attack (unknown)
careful : +25% will and power (unknown)

I've only tried the derby one time and am clueless but here are it's derby stats. (btw I came in last haha)

stonewall: 40s cooldown (rare)
think fast: 45s cooldown (rare)
bananas: 60s cooldown (rare)
leech: 60s cooldown (uncommon)
lock: 60s cooldown (uncommon

Also he summons a death minion with X number of pips.

Anyway, any tips on how to play my primary school, soloing, secondary and tertiary spells, or any other advice for an adult new player would be greatly appreciated.
Feel free to say hi and add me as a friend in game.

~Digby Deathstalker
Glad you are enjoying the game!
Train the Spirit traps and blades in Krok (the Kroksphinx)
You don't really need a secondary school. You can train the Sun, Star or Moon school beginning in Celestia.
Anything to boost strength and accuracy is always helpful.
Death is, in my opinion, the easiest to solo with due to the drains. I soloed Malestaire with my Death wizard. Couldn't do it with any other...yet.

As for WU realm, there are no 'adult' realms. There are some more populated with riffraff...and that's one of the big ones. I avoid WU like the plague. I play in Orthurus realm...it's not as heavily populated and there are very few incidents of the ones you're likely to run into on WU or Scarecrow.

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
Welcome to the game and message board.

RavenLady gave you some excellent tips for your necromancer. Train Spirit Blade and Spirit Trap; you can get them from Niles the Balance Tree near the Krokosphynx. Once you hit the second story arc (Celestia through Khrysalis) it's a good idea to train Stun Block; Diego the Duelmaster on Unicorn Way has it. In the upper worlds you can train in the Sun and Star schools to increase damage and accuracy; the Moon school spells are fun but not useful.

My necromancer trained to Colossal (for the damage boosts) in the Sun school and picked up Sharpened Blade and Potent Trap in Azteca. She trained Amplify, Fortify, Infallible and Vengeance in the Star school; in hindsight Vengeance was a waste of training point as the baddies almost always block critical in the upper worlds. Virulence replaced Amplify in her deck once she trained it in Azteca (unless she's up against a Life baddie).

Death is a great school for soloing. My necromancer was able to easily solo all but the most difficult dungeons until Azteca. Death is also a very versatile school, which I love; in a team setting my necromancer has been a tank, been a hammer, buffed and shielded the team's hammer, and helped to heal (thanks to a healing pet and Life secondary school).

My wizards tend to run on Scarecrow realm, but it seems crowded lately so I find I'm switching to other "perfect" realms more than I used to.

Good luck and happy questing!

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Master Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Adept Sorcerer

Survivor
May 28, 2014
I also have a beginner pet question, regarding pet stats.

I've read the online help and the guidebook, but am still confused about what the pet stats (strength, intellect, etc.) actually do.

Do they directly help the wizard? Or do they only help the pet, if the pet has an ability that would benefit from it?

What do the stats do?

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
RavenLady777 on Jun 9, 2014 wrote:
Glad you are enjoying the game!
Train the Spirit traps and blades in Krok (the Kroksphinx)
You don't really need a secondary school. You can train the Sun, Star or Moon school beginning in Celestia.
Anything to boost strength and accuracy is always helpful.
Death is, in my opinion, the easiest to solo with due to the drains. I soloed Malestaire with my Death wizard. Couldn't do it with any other...yet.

As for WU realm, there are no 'adult' realms. There are some more populated with riffraff...and that's one of the big ones. I avoid WU like the plague. I play in Orthurus realm...it's not as heavily populated and there are very few incidents of the ones you're likely to run into on WU or Scarecrow.
I don't know that server/realm matters all that much. you can run into idiots anywhere in the game on any server. I'm addicted to hatching but I run into some real fools in the hatchery some nights.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
On the pet stats part. The stats affect the percentage on things like pain giver, accuracy, pip chance etc. The higher the better. Most people don't care too much for the "selfish" talents. like astute and careful. They do boost the stats but at the cost of getting another talent which they want. A lot of death wizards will try for things like spell proof, spell defy, pain giver, death dealer, death giver etc. To boost the wizards resistance and hit power of the spells they cast. Maximum stats with out having a "selfish" talent is 250 each slot. You can hatch with a pet that has higher numbers and improve those. If you place your mouse over the talents it will show what each talent helps.

Also you may consider looking at what cards you want with your pet. Animate is not used much later in the game very much if at all. So a pet with a blade such as death blade, feint, balance or dragon blade can be pretty handy. The Enchanted armament pet is pretty handy since as a death you can use the cards it gives to convert your death blade to a 50% blade and stack it with a regular 40% blade. It also is a decent all around pet since the "sharpened blade" card it has is universal for any school.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Dakota Goldrider on Jun 10, 2014 wrote:

I've read the online help and the guidebook, but am still confused about what the pet stats (strength, intellect, etc.) actually do.

Do they directly help the wizard? Or do they only help the pet, if the pet has an ability that would benefit from it?

What do the stats do?
This guide and others at this site help get pet training off the ground.

http://www.duelist101.com/community/thepetguide/pets-101-meet-sir-romeo/

Mary

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Dakota Goldrider on Jun 10, 2014 wrote:

What do the stats do?
Higher stats can help the pet or wizard, depending what talents the pet has. High natural stats (at hatch) are always good. Talents that increase stats (selfish) are good for derby, but bad for combat because they waste a slot that could have a more beneficial talent.

Talents like spell poof or pain giver provide a boost to the player (increased resist or damage). Those get higher with higher stats on the pet. So for pets to help you in battle, you want all talents that help the player, and the highest natural stats on the pet.

For derby racing, combat talents have no benefit, so the goal is to add "selfish" talents that boost the pet's stats - reducing cost to cheer.

Survivor
May 18, 2014
Thanks all for the welcome and great. posts guys. If anyone knows a good detailed pet guide I wouldn't mind a link but I can probably find one with a little bit of effort.

Anyway. See you all in-game!
~ Digby Deathstalker: Adept Necromancer (currently adventuring in Krokotopia)

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Training Spirit blade is good, and the sun damage boosts will be key. I'd have stopped training that pet at adult and hatched for better talents, but at least pips and damage boost will help you. Getting good pets takes a while but it's worth it. If you haven't tried gardening and crafting, I suggest doing so.

Check out Duelist101 and Wizard101Central for guides and to connect with other players. This site isn't bad, but those have more detailed information. Death is a fun school to play and you get a special perspective of the story.

Wu is one realm I try to avoid. It's the opposite of adult from my experience, lol.

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
dune327 on Jun 11, 2014 wrote:
On the pet stats part. The stats affect the percentage on things like pain giver, accuracy, pip chance etc. The higher the better. Most people don't care too much for the "selfish" talents. like astute and careful. They do boost the stats but at the cost of getting another talent which they want. A lot of death wizards will try for things like spell proof, spell defy, pain giver, death dealer, death giver etc. To boost the wizards resistance and hit power of the spells they cast. Maximum stats with out having a "selfish" talent is 250 each slot. You can hatch with a pet that has higher numbers and improve those. If you place your mouse over the talents it will show what each talent helps.

Also you may consider looking at what cards you want with your pet. Animate is not used much later in the game very much if at all. So a pet with a blade such as death blade, feint, balance or dragon blade can be pretty handy. The Enchanted armament pet is pretty handy since as a death you can use the cards it gives to convert your death blade to a 50% blade and stack it with a regular 40% blade. It also is a decent all around pet since the "sharpened blade" card it has is universal for any school.
True. Sharpen is very handy. I don't have the enchanted armorment though. I do have a pet with may cast dragonblade...he doesn't cast much though. So I leave him in the bag and use his mother for her fairy and shatter may casts. :)