Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death Drains and Sun School Enchants

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Something that annoys me, and no doubt my fellow necromancers, is the fact that damage enchants only give 2/3 of their stated boost to drain spells. Before someone points out; "yeah but that lost 1/3 goes to healing", know this: I usually use Crow on two street monsters for about 3k. That's about 3000 health for me. My max health is 3800. 99 fights out of 100, the monsters will NOT get me down to 800 health. Effectively, I get swindled out of 92 damage, before boosts. As for boss fights, I like to say; "If you're not hitting over 10k with Dr Von, you're doing it wrong", which would result in 5000 heal, which is more than my max health. It seems to me that weakening sun spells on drains really only hurts Death wizards, a school with characteristically low damage that gets worse on drains. It should be changed.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
If you want the full power of the sun school, DON'T use a drain spell. It shouldn't be changed. The way it is now is fair. By splitting it 2/3 and 1/3 it maintains the 50% damage to heal ratio of drain spells. Straight adding 100% to the damage would increase the healing too much.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
seethe42 on May 19, 2014 wrote:
If you want the full power of the sun school, DON'T use a drain spell. It shouldn't be changed. The way it is now is fair. By splitting it 2/3 and 1/3 it maintains the 50% damage to heal ratio of drain spells. Straight adding 100% to the damage would increase the healing too much.
"Before someone points out; "yeah but that lost 1/3 goes to healing", know this: I usually use Crow on two street monsters for about 3k. That's about 3000 health for me. My max health is 3800. 99 fights out of 100, the monsters will NOT get me down to 800 health. Effectively, I get swindled out of 92 damage, before boosts. As for boss fights, I like to say; "If you're not hitting over 10k with Dr Von, you're doing it wrong", which would result in 5000 heal, which is more than my max health."
Seethe32
Y u no read post?
Furthermore, if I just "don't use a drain spell", that rules out Dr Von, Crow, and Wraith. Skeletal dragon is impossible to trap for, add it to the banned list too. Now the highest spell I can use it Skeletal Pirate. Have fun with that against a 10k health boss.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 19, 2014 wrote:
Something that annoys me, and no doubt my fellow necromancers, is the fact that damage enchants only give 2/3 of their stated boost to drain spells. Before someone points out; "yeah but that lost 1/3 goes to healing", know this: I usually use Crow on two street monsters for about 3k. That's about 3000 health for me. My max health is 3800. 99 fights out of 100, the monsters will NOT get me down to 800 health. Effectively, I get swindled out of 92 damage, before boosts. As for boss fights, I like to say; "If you're not hitting over 10k with Dr Von, you're doing it wrong", which would result in 5000 heal, which is more than my max health. It seems to me that weakening sun spells on drains really only hurts Death wizards, a school with characteristically low damage that gets worse on drains. It should be changed.
The problem with strength boosting is NOT in the way it works, but in the way it's WORDED. This has been discussed many times. Seethe is correct about the percentages, altho we disagree about the healing aspect. We don't need to gete bcak into that debate however. The REAL way to fix this problem would be to change the way the spell READS; what it SAYS. As an example, instead of saying "adds 100 damage (symbolized by the closed fist)", it SHOULD say, "adds 100 to the effects of the spell". This would clear up the confusion. Another way would be to add a second line for life sap spells that says, "adds 2/3 to str and 1/3 to health" and this way it would be much clearer

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
dayerider on May 21, 2014 wrote:
The problem with strength boosting is NOT in the way it works, but in the way it's WORDED. This has been discussed many times. Seethe is correct about the percentages, altho we disagree about the healing aspect. We don't need to gete bcak into that debate however. The REAL way to fix this problem would be to change the way the spell READS; what it SAYS. As an example, instead of saying "adds 100 damage (symbolized by the closed fist)", it SHOULD say, "adds 100 to the effects of the spell". This would clear up the confusion. Another way would be to add a second line for life sap spells that says, "adds 2/3 to str and 1/3 to health" and this way it would be much clearer
To me, the boost would be more confusing your way, and would lead to "why can't I put it on a heal?"
Also,
Dayerider
Y u no read post?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 21, 2014 wrote:
To me, the boost would be more confusing your way, and would lead to "why can't I put it on a heal?"
Also,
Dayerider
Y u no read post?
Wow, that's kind of a rude way of answering people. Yes, I DID read the post, it won't be changed. happier now?

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
dayerider on May 21, 2014 wrote:
Wow, that's kind of a rude way of answering people. Yes, I DID read the post, it won't be changed. happier now?
Sorry if I'm being rude, your post did not address anymof the issues I mentioned, and I used a meme. Why won't it be changed? I have noted there that drains usually heal me more than my max health, so the lowered damage boost is a big scam on us necromancers.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
This idea is kind of off topic, but if damage can be replaced for health than maybe they can create a sun spell for death wizards that converts healing into damage. take ghoul for example. it does 160, and heal 80 (base) but when the sun spell is used, it would do 240 damage and no heal. Another example: Dr. Vons monster stacks for 820, then heals 410, but when this spell is used on the card, it would damage 1230 and no heal.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
I think drain spells should do more damage as well, but as Seethe42 said, increasing the damage would subsequently increase the amount of health returned. If the damage is increased, the healing should be decreased. You said yourself that you rarely drop to low health as a result of Scarecrow and presumably other drain spells. Why make it less of a challenge for Death than it already is?

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Kyle SeaHunter on May 22, 2014 wrote:
This idea is kind of off topic, but if damage can be replaced for health than maybe they can create a sun spell for death wizards that converts healing into damage. take ghoul for example. it does 160, and heal 80 (base) but when the sun spell is used, it would do 240 damage and no heal. Another example: Dr. Vons monster stacks for 820, then heals 410, but when this spell is used on the card, it would damage 1230 and no heal.
Interesting... but I wouldn't use it. I really like my 10k heal with Dr Von.

Defender
Apr 05, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 19, 2014 wrote:
you do not know your schools drains dont matter its defense and attacks

Defender
Apr 05, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 20, 2014 wrote:
"Before someone points out; "yeah but that lost 1/3 goes to healing", know this: I usually use Crow on two street monsters for about 3k. That's about 3000 health for me. My max health is 3800. 99 fights out of 100, the monsters will NOT get me down to 800 health. Effectively, I get swindled out of 92 damage, before boosts. As for boss fights, I like to say; "If you're not hitting over 10k with Dr Von, you're doing it wrong", which would result in 5000 heal, which is more than my max health."
Seethe32
Y u no read post?
Furthermore, if I just "don't use a drain spell", that rules out Dr Von, Crow, and Wraith. Skeletal dragon is impossible to trap for, add it to the banned list too. Now the highest spell I can use it Skeletal Pirate. Have fun with that against a 10k health boss.
my death is better it can solo things just like pagoda hard mode

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
neonxgaming on May 24, 2014 wrote:
you do not know your schools drains dont matter its defense and attacks
I see you have continued to stalk and harass me. Drains matter to Death school, it's where I get all my healing. This also touches on attacks, being that the Sun school enchantment debuff is unfair to Necromancers. Please stop making posts like this.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 21, 2014 wrote:
Sorry if I'm being rude, your post did not address anymof the issues I mentioned, and I used a meme. Why won't it be changed? I have noted there that drains usually heal me more than my max health, so the lowered damage boost is a big scam on us necromancers.
I wouldnt mind experimenting with spells, in test realm, that damage/heal at different percentages. Instead of 66%/33%, maybe 75%/25%. It's a slight damage boost with a slight healing loss. Maybe not's not the right percentage, but still, it's worth looking into. Even in K2, most fights, I don't need the amount of healing I get and wouldnt mind losing SOME of it for more damage. However, if damage:healing was changed around, I feel some other death spells would need to be changed as well in order to balance the school

Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
Kyle SeaHunter on May 22, 2014 wrote:
Even though this idea is kinda off topic as a death wizard I think this idea is genius and there should be a separate post just to discuss this idea. Although I think it would be a bit too op for the higher drain spells, this is definitely something that should be discussed and worked on.

About the original topic, I am a level 80 death and I think the way the game handles the drain spell enchantments is totally fair. The fact that death has the ability to have to spell that drain the opponent is a HUGE advantage and I'm okay with the fact that damage enchantments get nerfed a little on drains. I believe Kyle Seahutner's idea would be a better solution, although I think as the death drain spells do more and more damage that kind of enchantment would need to be adjusted. Once again, that is something that should be made into a separate post and discussed.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
BlackGlaciator646 on May 26, 2014 wrote:
Even though this idea is kinda off topic as a death wizard I think this idea is genius and there should be a separate post just to discuss this idea. Although I think it would be a bit too op for the higher drain spells, this is definitely something that should be discussed and worked on.

About the original topic, I am a level 80 death and I think the way the game handles the drain spell enchantments is totally fair. The fact that death has the ability to have to spell that drain the opponent is a HUGE advantage and I'm okay with the fact that damage enchantments get nerfed a little on drains. I believe Kyle Seahutner's idea would be a better solution, although I think as the death drain spells do more and more damage that kind of enchantment would need to be adjusted. Once again, that is something that should be made into a separate post and discussed.
To each his own, I suppose.
I want drain spells to get a little more boost from Sun spells because, as I stated above, I am usually healed several times over when I Dr Von the boss/crow some street monsters. It seems unfair because the explanation given is that the 1/3 lost goes to healing, but I simply cannot get that much health so that 1/3 is completely lost. Even more annoying that it only applies to death.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 26, 2014 wrote:
To each his own, I suppose.
I want drain spells to get a little more boost from Sun spells because, as I stated above, I am usually healed several times over when I Dr Von the boss/crow some street monsters. It seems unfair because the explanation given is that the 1/3 lost goes to healing, but I simply cannot get that much health so that 1/3 is completely lost. Even more annoying that it only applies to death.
Even more annoying that it only applies to death.

And Fire actually, but that's beside the point. Seems like your complaint is that death has drain spells. If you dislike drain spells so much and all the health they give, stop using them or pick another school that isn't focused on drains.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
seethe42 on May 27, 2014 wrote:
Even more annoying that it only applies to death.

And Fire actually, but that's beside the point. Seems like your complaint is that death has drain spells. If you dislike drain spells so much and all the health they give, stop using them or pick another school that isn't focused on drains.
Fail alert.
Fire doesn't have drains, and Sun spells give DOTs their full damage boost. My complaint is NOT that Death has drains, the problem is that Sun spells discriminate against Necromancers, particularly on our already-lower damage drain spells. I actually love drains, I think Death is the best school ever. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 28, 2014 wrote:
Fail alert.
Fire doesn't have drains, and Sun spells give DOTs their full damage boost. My complaint is NOT that Death has drains, the problem is that Sun spells discriminate against Necromancers, particularly on our already-lower damage drain spells. I actually love drains, I think Death is the best school ever. Stop putting words in my mouth.
Fire has Link and Power Link, they aren't "drains", but they are attack and heal in one spell in the same manner. The difference is that Link and Power Link only give a set healing amount. Drain's healing is boosted by every attack buff including Sun Spells. The mechanics of the spell make it necessary to split the damage with healing and it's extremely powerful as it is. They could make death drains all work like Link with a set healing amount, but I imagine a vast majority wouldn't like that much. You cannot have it both ways. The only way to make it fair by giving death full damage would be to make Scarecrow give 400 damage + 200 from each enemy, instead of converts half to . This way you always get half the base damage in healing and nothing for buffs, since all the buffs already add to the damage.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on May 28, 2014 wrote:
Fire has Link and Power Link, they aren't "drains", but they are attack and heal in one spell in the same manner. The difference is that Link and Power Link only give a set healing amount. Drain's healing is boosted by every attack buff including Sun Spells. The mechanics of the spell make it necessary to split the damage with healing and it's extremely powerful as it is. They could make death drains all work like Link with a set healing amount, but I imagine a vast majority wouldn't like that much. You cannot have it both ways. The only way to make it fair by giving death full damage would be to make Scarecrow give 400 damage + 200 from each enemy, instead of converts half to . This way you always get half the base damage in healing and nothing for buffs, since all the buffs already add to the damage.
Link and Power Link arent all that useful as healing spells though, unless you buff them, and even then, they're really not that useful. IMO, their biggest use is that they're advanced shield busters. They kill shields with DoT and have the added benefit of HoT effects, but beyond that, they're useless for healing (for PvE). I'd rather use Sprite/Fairy which heal more and 9with mastery) cost the same or less

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
seethe42 on May 28, 2014 wrote:
That would make drains completely useless, if I used a Dr Von I would only get about 500 or so heal; Necromancers would basically become useless because they now have bad damage and no real way to heal.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 30, 2014 wrote:
That would make drains completely useless, if I used a Dr Von I would only get about 500 or so heal; Necromancers would basically become useless because they now have bad damage and no real way to heal.
And that's why it works the way it does. It makes the drain extremely powerful while balancing out the damage to heal ratio. You want all the power added to both damage and healing, you cannot have it both ways and make it fair.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
seethe42 on May 30, 2014 wrote:
And that's why it works the way it does. It makes the drain extremely powerful while balancing out the damage to heal ratio. You want all the power added to both damage and healing, you cannot have it both ways and make it fair.
The REASON I want that is because most of my hits result in a massive overheal, hence I want to get full damage because the boost will have almost no effect on my heal, 15k heal is about quadruple my health.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Robobot1747 on May 31, 2014 wrote:
The REASON I want that is because most of my hits result in a massive overheal, hence I want to get full damage because the boost will have almost no effect on my heal, 15k heal is about quadruple my health.
The REASON you can't have it both ways are already stated. You want BOTH the damage and healing boosted more. You keep using an extreme example of Von's Monster with a bunch of boosts. What about a simple vampire with colossal? Are you telling me that has no effect? The simple fact of the matter is that it's 100% fair the way it is and they aren't going to change it just to make death over powered.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Robobot1747 on May 31, 2014 wrote:
If you are massively over healing.....why are you using a drain? Seems you should use an enchanted Skeletal Dragon (or other damage spell)....followed up by a drain of some sort.

All your asking is that the different Sun mechanics be removed from drains/hybrid spells. KI has indicated numerous times that this is the intended effect, given that drain spells are more powerful. Unlikely they will change it. You will probably need to change your strategy instead.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/wraith-gargantuan-is-only-650-not-725--35160