Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Improving PvP (Filtering)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 18, 2011
Hi there, I am new to this forum and I have a suggestion regarding PvP. The suggestion is focused more so on practice matches than anything else. The topic is about adding more filters to matchmaking. The goal is to achieve greater control in customization for PvP matches, especially to have balance (not the school).

If the matchmaker wishes to, they can permit or restrict the following:

• Treasure Cards
  • Ranks (from Warlord to Private)
  • Schools
  • Pet Stages (Mega to Baby)
If I have any more doable settings I will add them here. Thanks for coming to this thread.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I'd use the treasure card filter, but would not use the others. Comments below.

Arena rank limit: It isn't fair to prevent such a large number of players from having access to practice matches. Why should Warlords need to rank themselves down if they just want to do a simple practice match?

Pet rank limit: Pet limits don't make much sense to me, anyone can level a pet? It's very easy.

School limit: Limiting by schools is not a good idea--think about it. Suddenly, you won't be able to get a match if you're Life or Storm due to stereotypes people are continually regurgitating. They will largely be turned away from practice matches.

Treasure card limit: This, I can understand. Truly, there's no point in using treasure cards in practice matches unless all players agree to their use ahead of time. The way people tend to use treasure cards in practice matches is a lot like throwing sand in your opponent's face, it's a dirty move.

In sum, limit options should be determined by whether players have access to those elements ahead of time. Literally anyone can access treasure cards, so that's a fair option. Not everyone can access Warlord rank, Mega pets, or other schools of magic, so those are not fair options.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2011
Lucas Rain on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
I'd use the treasure card filter, but would not use the others. Comments below.

Arena rank limit: It isn't fair to prevent such a large number of players from having access to practice matches. Why should Warlords need to rank themselves down if they just want to do a simple practice match?

Pet rank limit: Pet limits don't make much sense to me, anyone can level a pet? It's very easy.

School limit: Limiting by schools is not a good idea--think about it. Suddenly, you won't be able to get a match if you're Life or Storm due to stereotypes people are continually regurgitating. They will largely be turned away from practice matches.

Treasure card limit: This, I can understand. Truly, there's no point in using treasure cards in practice matches unless all players agree to their use ahead of time. The way people tend to use treasure cards in practice matches is a lot like throwing sand in your opponent's face, it's a dirty move.

In sum, limit options should be determined by whether players have access to those elements ahead of time. Literally anyone can access treasure cards, so that's a fair option. Not everyone can access Warlord rank, Mega pets, or other schools of magic, so those are not fair options.
Arena Rank Limit:

I do recognize what you say when you refer to players and when I only mentioned rank. I will have to change this. What I should say, is not necessarily filters players by rank but filtering by the equipment worn. For example, Diego's dueling gear can be obtained at any level while his stock includes gear for all levels. The kind that removes mana but provides exceptional defense against all schools is extremely advantageous because incoming damage is reduced, but healing is untouched, so it lifts survivability by making each point of health worth more. The defense boost can reach up to 1/3 of damage reduced from what I have seen (and I am only level 35 [dueling other level 35's]). I only have between 500-1000 more health than them, but that does not matter much if we both heal for the same numbers. Let's say I have 2000 health and 10% resistance against all schools, my opponent has 1500 health and 20% resistance against all schools. Both go down to 500 health, and then both heal for 1000 health. I just restored 50% of my health and he/she just restored 66% of theirs. They are still at full health but I am 25% off. If the battle goes on like this I am eventually going to lose because my health points are worth less than theirs with resistance included. We are both skilled duelists but I just happen to be more susceptible to damage. I cannot find any better equipment in the crown shop or from farming outside the arena. And if the solution is to rank up, we do not want to grind for arena tickets (including derby races) just to reach equal terms, as we (friends and I) only play practice matches for fun.

Pet Rank Limit:

Yes, anyone can level a pet, but not everyone does. As mentioned in the paragraph above, I am a level 35 player so when I go into PvP (practice with friends) people mix in their pets of all different life stages. Sometimes everyone on my team has mega's, while other times everyone has babies. This makes a difference because of talents. The more life stages a pet grew to, the more and better stats for the wizard or skills it has to randomly use. For example, a common talent is Spritely or a cosmic spell like Conviction. If my team has only babies they are not going to have these talents. There are minigames where anyone can train their pet, yes, but not everyone is willing to play those games so I end up with many random pets and in turn imbalanced matches.

School Limit:

This was more for customization than balance, so I can understand why this would not be needed. This can be forgotten.