Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chivalry

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 29, 2012
I have an idea. Why don't we all start trying to act with some Chivalry around here. No more complaining when you lose or boasting when you win. No more exploiting glitches or calling names. Accept that PvP is part skill and Part Luck. It really is. If you really want to be a warlord, just keep playing, you will get there. Cheating or being hurtful to other wizards isn't going to help anything. Especially those of us that are Warlords or near, lets show the lower ranks what Chivalry really means. Win and lose with grace, have fun, be cool!

Amber Raven Song, 95Warlord

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
AmberRavenSong7 on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
I have an idea. Why don't we all start trying to act with some Chivalry around here. No more complaining when you lose or boasting when you win. No more exploiting glitches or calling names. Accept that PvP is part skill and Part Luck. It really is. If you really want to be a warlord, just keep playing, you will get there. Cheating or being hurtful to other wizards isn't going to help anything. Especially those of us that are Warlords or near, lets show the lower ranks what Chivalry really means. Win and lose with grace, have fun, be cool!

Hear Hear! I actually stay out of the arena because there is next to no chivalry and it just gets tiring to deal with it.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011

I totally agree. There's been too many times where I'm in a match and someone's friend is watching, giving the enemy my stats and just being flat out unsportsmanlike. Then when I win or lose and i give a 'gg' they just port off as if I'm a nobody. I know it's just a game, but some common courtesy shouldn't be too much to ask. Right?

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
I totally agree. There's been too many times where I'm in a match and someone's friend is watching, giving the enemy my stats and just being flat out unsportsmanlike. Then when I win or lose and i give a 'gg' they just port off as if I'm a nobody. I know it's just a game, but some common courtesy shouldn't be too much to ask. Right?
To be fair, there is a strategic advantage in not saying gg. Many times I have ported away quickly and not said a word just to face that opponent four more times, or more. If I had said gg they would know my gear. Many of these people have become my friends because we talk After a match, but as a rule, I don't "gg" I think it's also important to note that sometimes "gg" is used in a rude and aggressive way, such as saying it before the spell has even hit the opponent. Trust me, don't ever assume, it's never over until it's over. Many a match has been won with less than ten health left. I prefer to use emoticons to convey my good intent such as "wave" and "bow" that way my secrets stay with me until I am ready to show them.

Amber Raven Song, 95 Warlord

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
AmberRavenSong7 on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
To be fair, there is a strategic advantage in not saying gg. Many times I have ported away quickly and not said a word just to face that opponent four more times, or more. If I had said gg they would know my gear. Many of these people have become my friends because we talk After a match, but as a rule, I don't "gg" I think it's also important to note that sometimes "gg" is used in a rude and aggressive way, such as saying it before the spell has even hit the opponent. Trust me, don't ever assume, it's never over until it's over. Many a match has been won with less than ten health left. I prefer to use emoticons to convey my good intent such as "wave" and "bow" that way my secrets stay with me until I am ready to show them.

Saying gg before the match is actually over is not necessarily rude. If you know that your spell is going to defeat the opponent, why shouldn't you say gg?

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I just ran into this again last night. A pair of female wizards with foul rude chat, taunting, one friend watching who was also informing her playing friend all about me. It is totally uncalled for.

Unfortunately, I don't see these kinds of petty rude bully PVP players leaving, and it seems KI is not interested in making good sportsmanship a part of the arena. It would be so easy to just block all chat from observers during a match, so that this particular kind of abuse does not happen.

Back to the OP though, thank you for your very positive suggestion! While I have run into my share of rude PVP players and observers, I have also run into several that were quite noble and fun to play against. For a long time, the rude ones kept me away from PVP. Now I have one wizard trying it out, who is up to Commander. I so appreciate the more decent players who act as you have suggested,with chivalry and class. When people play with honor, PVP is actually kinda fun. When they act like spoiled brats, not so much.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
AmberRavenSong7 on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:

x mind blown x I never thought of it that way thanks for the advice

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 82

Explorer
Jan 29, 2013

I agree though sadly I don't think much will change. There are a lot of people who just have rude in them and don't have manors nor want to have any. I always be a good sport no matter what the other person says or acts like and have gotten "used" to the way some people act as much as I hate it. Also the maturity levels are so different that plays a factor to. All said and done it WOULD be awesome to have at least one full day in the arena with people acting more sportsman like but I don't expect to see it any time soon.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
You know.. One thing we could also consider is being kind on the message boards in the pvp section as well. I've seen numerous threads, and made posts in some, that look like they're about to erupt in an all-out flame war when a bit of kindness could go a long way towards a compromise between 2 parties.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
I agree I use to say hi in rank pvp to other people. Till these tc use ruined ranked pvp it used to be fun

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
Aaron SpellThief on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
Saying gg before the match is actually over is not necessarily rude. If you know that your spell is going to defeat the opponent, why shouldn't you say gg?
They should say hi before saying gg

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
kymma shadow on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
Who cares, if you're annoyed ignore them.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
kymma shadow on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
Saying "Hi" before saying Gg might present problems if people don't know your stats, however, if the match has gone on for a while a little friendly conversation between opponents is quite fun.

I know in a match I had last night me and my friend had a friendly conversation with the opposing team after we had gotten a general idea of their stats. One of them even added me afterwards. A match well spent, if you ask me.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
I agree with Amber, there should be more chivalry and kindness. I was in a tourney on my Magus today, and I ran into two different kinds of people. The first guy I faced was someone who just kinda ported away immediately, not rude, not kind, he was just there. Then I ran into a guy who PvPed me in silence until near the end of the match. At that point I said: "Why are my cards not helping me?" or something and he replied with a negative comment about his own mistake. We had fun near the end of the match chatting while fighting each other. I won, he left after saying gg, then added me. I went into my next match and it was a guy who was stuck up and rude and he started taunting me. I was frustrated with my performance in the match and aggravated about losing. I ended up arguing with him about his attacks and how he was being rude. It didn't do much though. I then fought my friend again and beat him (which he accepted) I thought I was going to lose and was fine with losing to someone I had respect for. I ended up in 2nd place and the player who beat me ended up in first. Even after a second match after fighting the disrespectful winner, he text chatted me and told me I was a loser..again. He said: "See peasant, I win and you lose." I was fed up with him and ignored him. If you become chivalrous, saying GG after every match, people could start to have respect for you, you'll even make friends. Most of my in-game friends are from them being nice in PvP. Instead of being extremely rude about winning (as the second example was).

Wolf Legend
P.S. sorry this was long

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
I only call warlords tc warlords as a nick name so I want false report them.

They don't need to call private noobs when they are higher lvl.

I hope if there is another max wizard and a knight I hope my wizard will be place with the warlord to help them.

It really easy to beat a max wizard that just heals the fire wizard but the fire wizard could have won if he didn't heal the life wizard. I'm going to try to make rank pvp friendly again.

And sorry for calling warlords fat and others stuff.

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
Scarlet Nightdream... on Feb 18, 2014 wrote:
Saying "Hi" before saying Gg might present problems if people don't know your stats, however, if the match has gone on for a while a little friendly conversation between opponents is quite fun.

I know in a match I had last night me and my friend had a friendly conversation with the opposing team after we had gotten a general idea of their stats. One of them even added me afterwards. A match well spent, if you ask me.
i also used to do the same thing until i was against this ice wizard who didn't care for friendly conversation he started cursing calling me weak. ever since that i haven't played pvp since( which was more than months ago) and all i did to him was say hi

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I just want to bring this post back up for notice. This notion of us being kind to each other, and letting each other enjoy the game as a game -- and not as a mean attack on each other -- is so important!

Here on the boards as well, could we stop calling people names, like "noob, TC noob, TC warlord" and so on? It is possible to disagree with a person without being unkind. It is possible for us to say what we like or don't like, what frustrates us or challenges us, without it being an attack.

All the complaining about the ways in which we are defeated, too, is not helpful. I notice this especially in the TC vs. no-TC posts. People seem to get entrenched in their opinions or upsets, and then it can turn mean. But I have yet to see much that is positive come out of this back-and forth upset.

As a general principle, when good players lose to other good players in a game, they take that as an opportunity to learn how to play the game better. Champions may not like losing, but they rarely blame their opponents for their losses. Rather, they take responsibility for their own losses, and use the losses as opportunities to learn how to improve their game. They learn from their opponents, and get better for it.

So both in game play, and here on our posts, maybe we could try to do the same? Be chivalrous, be kind, and have a touch of understanding for opinions that differ from our own.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
FinnAgainWindrider on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:
I just want to bring this post back up for notice. This notion of us being kind to each other, and letting each other enjoy the game as a game -- and not as a mean attack on each other -- is so important!

Here on the boards as well, could we stop calling people names, like "noob, TC noob, TC warlord" and so on? It is possible to disagree with a person without being unkind. It is possible for us to say what we like or don't like, what frustrates us or challenges us, without it being an attack.

All the complaining about the ways in which we are defeated, too, is not helpful. I notice this especially in the TC vs. no-TC posts. People seem to get entrenched in their opinions or upsets, and then it can turn mean. But I have yet to see much that is positive come out of this back-and forth upset.

As a general principle, when good players lose to other good players in a game, they take that as an opportunity to learn how to play the game better. Champions may not like losing, but they rarely blame their opponents for their losses. Rather, they take responsibility for their own losses, and use the losses as opportunities to learn how to improve their game. They learn from their opponents, and get better for it.

So both in game play, and here on our posts, maybe we could try to do the same? Be chivalrous, be kind, and have a touch of understanding for opinions that differ from our own.
I'd appreciate if this was implemented as well. While posts that are actually debating are great to read through, posts that actively shoot down other posts of a different opinion with no evidence gets old fast and usually causes me to lose more sanity than would normally happen from just being on the internet. Finn, you have good points and I'm certain I am not the only one who appreciates the idea you have just provided.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
I just don't like using TC I think it not a real learn spell to use in rank pvp first before I stop calling them TC warlords they need to stop calling Amy a noob just because she doesn't use TC doesn't make her a noob.

She just get in bad rank pvp matches that is all.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
I try to be nice in rank pvp and on here. I think it would be nice for the small there group to get there own rank pvp where they don't have to worry about tc users in rank pvp.

There are people just like to quest mostly and go in a fair match in rank pvp but there no fair player in rank pvp.

That why people leave mostly.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
kymma shadow on Mar 10, 2014 wrote:
I try to be nice in rank pvp and on here. I think it would be nice for the small there group to get there own rank pvp where they don't have to worry about tc users in rank pvp.

There are people just like to quest mostly and go in a fair match in rank pvp but there no fair player in rank pvp.

I view fairness in PvP just like Vimes views fairness in guarding his home. (Unfortunately the young assassins in the Assassins Guild, they haven't learned that he doesn't like to play by their definition of fair and honorable.)

If you don't take up all the defenses you can get, you'll up dead. To be fair though, if you don't NEED to use treasure cards, then don't. It's really all a matter of choice and some people do actually win using only enchantments and the like. (Worst I carry is Kraken, anything above that is seen by me as a waste of pips.)

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
kymma shadow on Mar 10, 2014 wrote:

Kymma.. We get you do not like Treasure Card users.. But saying that TC makes matches unfair is entirely false. In PVP, anything goes and everything is fair.... well most everything, there are a few points that everyone calls unfair. But everyone has access to TC, and deciding to not use them doesn't make everyone who does use them unfair. In this topic, and yes I'm being a bit hypocritical here, it is meant to promote being kind in PVP and you have constantly complained about the TC users here and I believe, cannot remember exactly, that you have also done a bit of insulting of them in there. While you have since apologized for some of them. Continuing the complaints doesn't exactly do good here.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
How about the warlords just let my balance wizard get the veteran outfit and I will stop being rude to TC warlords.

Her name is Amy and lvl 84

Please let her get that one outfit and I will stop.

PS How about warlords stop calling people noobs that how they got the nickname TC warlord.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
Joshua Starflame on Mar 10, 2014 wrote:
Kymma.. We get you do not like Treasure Card users.. But saying that TC makes matches unfair is entirely false. In PVP, anything goes and everything is fair.... well most everything, there are a few points that everyone calls unfair. But everyone has access to TC, and deciding to not use them doesn't make everyone who does use them unfair. In this topic, and yes I'm being a bit hypocritical here, it is meant to promote being kind in PVP and you have constantly complained about the TC users here and I believe, cannot remember exactly, that you have also done a bit of insulting of them in there. While you have since apologized for some of them. Continuing the complaints doesn't exactly do good here.
I wasn't being rude at all in that post I know there are tc users and I don't care. All I want is to get the veteran outfit for Amy my balance wizard that all she wants and that all I want for her.

If only the warlords just let her get that outfit she will give them all her TC cards to them so they want have to buy it anymore from the bazaar. I'm trying to do a trade off for one outfit in rank pvp I know it doesn't have good stats but she like the look can the warlords let her get that one outfit.

And I'm really sorry if I called names on here. But the name on the message board is my death wizard and she lvl 33 and has hardly done rank pvp.

Amy lvl 84 Get the veteran outfit and she will trade all hers TC cards to the warlord.

I hope that sounds fair.