Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 21, 2010
I'm a level 45 balance wizard, and I want to start Ranked pvp. Anyone know of a good deck set-up for me?

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Talon Sky Song on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
I'm a level 45 balance wizard, and I want to start Ranked pvp. Anyone know of a good deck set-up for me?
Personally, I recommend farming/buying a myth mastery and using basilisk. My balance can, with perhaps 4 blades, do a 3000 damage basilisk. With comboing judge in, as well, it kills almost all players at low ranks. Any attacks besides high level tc in your tc deck should probably be enchanted with monstrous. It may be difficult to get warlord at that level, though, because you'll either be battling high levels with critical, level 50 warlords with their warlord gear, or lower level high rank warlords. I would recommend doing pvp at either magus or grandmaster.

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
Look up "Level 50 Balance 1v1 Guide" by Nick S. He uses his 2009 deck when he was lvl 40 and it still worked for him. Look up "Discarding Tutorial" also by Nick S. One of the biggest advice I can give you is how to discard.

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
Forgot to say on duelist101.com

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Recommended stats:
at least 20% damage to all schools you plan to hit with
at least 20% resistance to all schools

At Level 45 Balance, you probably need an amulet and a powerful surprise attack. You can choose what your KO attacks will be, but I recommend Death attacks. People assume when they fight a Balance that it's just a race against Judgment--and often they're correct. But there's no reason you can't charge up a large Skeletal Dragon or wear them down with Deer Knight. Besides, the "Big Old Judgment" strategy, in my opinion, is pretty easy to counter with weakness and tower shields, so you need some backup attacks.

Balance has two major weak spots, practically speaking.

One is that they almost never carry or use a damage bubble like other schools. So, train or pick up tc bubble cards. If you control the bubble, you control your opponent's ability to one-shot KO you.

The other major weak spot is that your AOE spell, Sandstorm, often isn't strong enough to take out a minion, so opponents can force you into wasting a huge hit on them instead. That buys them more time to charge up and beat you, which is bad. The solution is to use stronger AOE, like Humongofrog or Meteor, or learn Deer Knight from the Loremaster--and Deer Knight is the very best AOE attack a wizard under Level 48 can learn.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Lucas Rain on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
Recommended stats:
at least 20% damage to all schools you plan to hit with
at least 20% resistance to all schools

At Level 45 Balance, you probably need an amulet and a powerful surprise attack. You can choose what your KO attacks will be, but I recommend Death attacks. People assume when they fight a Balance that it's just a race against Judgment--and often they're correct. But there's no reason you can't charge up a large Skeletal Dragon or wear them down with Deer Knight. Besides, the "Big Old Judgment" strategy, in my opinion, is pretty easy to counter with weakness and tower shields, so you need some backup attacks.

Balance has two major weak spots, practically speaking.

One is that they almost never carry or use a damage bubble like other schools. So, train or pick up tc bubble cards. If you control the bubble, you control your opponent's ability to one-shot KO you.

The other major weak spot is that your AOE spell, Sandstorm, often isn't strong enough to take out a minion, so opponents can force you into wasting a huge hit on them instead. That buys them more time to charge up and beat you, which is bad. The solution is to use stronger AOE, like Humongofrog or Meteor, or learn Deer Knight from the Loremaster--and Deer Knight is the very best AOE attack a wizard under Level 48 can learn.
For minions, you can just use a sandstorm with monstrous on it. It will remove shields and weaknesses, as well as doing quite a bit of damage to the enemy and killing their minion, depending on your damage.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Sandstorm and monstrous would work, except that more experienced players shield their minions or place weakness on you (esp. if you're Balance). Damage over time is a more efficient and certain method.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Lucas Rain on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
Sandstorm and monstrous would work, except that more experienced players shield their minions or place weakness on you (esp. if you're Balance). Damage over time is a more efficient and certain method.
I suppose my opinion might be biased, since I have 64% damage at level 50 and can OHKO minions through a shield and often a weakness as well. Deer knight costs more pips and takes longer to kill minions, so I have never really wanted it on my balance. Even on my death, I often don't use it as a minion killer. Vampire is very efficient because minions have no resist, so it can get you back a lot of health.