Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Building a Deck question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 18, 2013
I am building my deck...I am a life wizard and death. Building my deck I was trying to maximize my healing and my damage dealing. I have my shields and heals full up and it leaves little room for my attacks. My question is....Do the number of cards I put in there affect how many of that card i get in battle. Example if I have 4 Fairy Cards in my deck do I only get 4 Fairy Cards in battle? or If I put 1 Fairy Card is it random on how many show up? Side note is Sprite Guardian worth having in at all? By the time I have the 4 pips up and able to cast her she passes for a few rounds before she even does anything. Thanks all.

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
Benjamin PixieBane on Oct 25, 2013 wrote:
I am building my deck...I am a life wizard and death. Building my deck I was trying to maximize my healing and my damage dealing. I have my shields and heals full up and it leaves little room for my attacks. My question is....Do the number of cards I put in there affect how many of that card i get in battle. Example if I have 4 Fairy Cards in my deck do I only get 4 Fairy Cards in battle? or If I put 1 Fairy Card is it random on how many show up? Side note is Sprite Guardian worth having in at all? By the time I have the 4 pips up and able to cast her she passes for a few rounds before she even does anything. Thanks all.
If you put 4 in your deck, you get four in battle. It IS possible to run out of spells in a long battle. In a boss battle, I find that sprite guardian is extremely helpful to have. She often heals and is rarely attacked by the opponent.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Yea it would be nice if she would appear with at least the amount of pips it took to cast her, then she could help us right away.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Generally your base deck should have 2 or 3 of your school blades, a trap or two, and few of your primary attack. You seldom need heals in street fights, and will rarely use more than one, though playing life you may want extras for healing teammates. Most fights should be buff-hit, or buff-buff-hit. If you are taking more than 4 or 5 rounds to beat an ordinary enemy you may be playing more defense than you need.

Add shields or prisms only when needed, otherwise try to keep your deck as small and focused as you can. Add stacking blades and traps for big boss fights when you want extra damage.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Hi there~ Von's wizarding family welcomes you to the Spiral!
(in other words, the great Vonawesome allows you to enter her domain!)

1)how much damage you deal is hugely dependent on the gear you equip.

different gear boosts different stats (damage, resist, accuracy, etc), so you may have to play around with it a little, until you find a set that suits your play-style.

some things to consider: do you play alone, or with friends? do you want your wizard to hit hard, or sacrifice big damage for greatly-increased accuracy/higher resist?

2) you must put each card you want into your deck; the order in which you draw them is random.

if you put 4 fairy cards in your deck, you are guaranteed to get 4 fairy cards. they may all come up the first round, or they may not come up until near the end.

3) unless you are myth or balance, i would not waste time with minions.

those pips you're using would be put to much-better use elsewhere, so save them for your attack spells.

-

I don't know what level your wizard is, or what you have equipped currently. But I'll give you the deck setup my life wizard uses for basic mob fights (some of these spells won't be available to you until later on, but better to know before you get too used to anything):

1 lifeblade
1 amulet lifeblade
1 spirit blade
1 gargantuan
1 forest lord
1 reshuffle

I pack a small deck and carry only what I need to get the job done right the first time; I do not carry heals or shields for mob fights, as they only take up space that is better used for attack spells.

-

Once again, my wizards and I welcome you to the Spiral!
Hope I didn't scare you (much)... Happy questing!

-von
your friendly neighbourhood half-evil balance wizard

90 and
40 and

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
well for one since your life i say you dont need all healing/damaging spells in your deck I say you want to do both damage and heal put a few death spells but mostly your life attack spells because for death you mainly will have to blade up and trap before doing great damage except if your fighting myth,life that's when you have boost on them....Also, if you put four copies of a fairy card it will only have four in your deck and they all will show up at random. You are life and life already has heal spells on top of spirit armor so you dont need to pack your deck with all heal and no damage or you'll be trying to do great damage with low damage/heal spell. For the minion i say only cast when needed sometimes summoning minion can be a waste of pips

lvl 77

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
Hey, Forsaken here, I suggest you put more attacks in. Unless your supporting someone while doing quests or whatever. If your past lvl 22 i recommend you put a seraph in your deck as it is a pretty strong attack, with your death cards i suggest that you have a few vampires in there since they are very strong and great at healing you back.

Now for your sprite guardian, not really needed in minion battles(street battles) but it's a must if your planning to solo as it gets very hard for lifes to sustain health and deal a good amount of damage in places like marleybone and mooshu.(dragonspyre and celestia are a pain)

Now if you put 4 fairies in your deck you only get four in battle. If you put one it doesn't pop up with a random number it only shows the one fairy you put in there.

It would be nice if you could tell us your level so i can further into explaining heals and stuff
Anyway good luck and happy dueling.

May the glory of winning guide you to victory

BrianSkullStalker-lvl 76

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Life being my first wizard I have taken a lot of time learning that school before I even made a second wizard. I can say Life maybe considered a slow but sure go. Waiting until lvl 58 for an all around spell can be rough. We don't always have to be the healer in fact we make pretty good dealers. I was in no hurry to rush though the game so it made an easier go on me.

As for spells question, the amount of spells you put into the deck will be the amount you will get in battle. Unless you train or buy TC's of Reshuffle you will not have any more available. So one sprite in deck will be one sprite available in battle.

I didn't really start to play Life to it's full potential till mid Mooshu when the battles started to get a little more difficult. I kept up on gear from the Bazaar and was starting to get a pretty good power pip percentage going. I did train Death to Feint, I went back and got the Tri Blade from Niles and I dropped all the Balance spells I took as secondary. I learned not every spell I was given was going to be used. By then I carried one Sprite and one Satyr for healing, added a spare sprite for boss battles, you will find you need less then you think. I soloed except for some end of world instances and did use the 300 health minion probably longer then most in certain boss fights. I found if I was focusing more on healing I wasn't getting rid of the problem of taking on damage.

When constructing a deck set up consider the monsters you are currently faced with and only put that amount of damage in your deck. Life gets a lot of help from blades and traps and for boss fights Feint. I am horrible about shielding and unless the instance is very difficult I don't at all. Use Treasure Cards as a back up.

Celestia was my biggest wake up call - I used the Rapture gear as soon as I could and did WW many times but did not get the robe until I was at Mirror Lake in Zafaria. The rapture gear got me though the best it could. I learned about the crafted gear in Wintertusk and made the Helmet. I also learned about Wizard101Central.com and read a lot about how to get by.

Mary StarGem lvl 90

Survivor
Sep 29, 2012
I would like help building a good deck, for attacking all enemies. I am a level 48 storm wizard. I have storm Lord, tempest, looking for t.v. or other school spells I should try and get? I am working on lore master to get death deer. Thanks

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Dr Von on Oct 25, 2013 wrote:
Hi there~ Von's wizarding family welcomes you to the Spiral!
(in other words, the great Vonawesome allows you to enter her domain!)

1)how much damage you deal is hugely dependent on the gear you equip.

different gear boosts different stats (damage, resist, accuracy, etc), so you may have to play around with it a little, until you find a set that suits your play-style.

some things to consider: do you play alone, or with friends? do you want your wizard to hit hard, or sacrifice big damage for greatly-increased accuracy/higher resist?

2) you must put each card you want into your deck; the order in which you draw them is random.

if you put 4 fairy cards in your deck, you are guaranteed to get 4 fairy cards. they may all come up the first round, or they may not come up until near the end.

3) unless you are myth or balance, i would not waste time with minions.

those pips you're using would be put to much-better use elsewhere, so save them for your attack spells.

-

I don't know what level your wizard is, or what you have equipped currently. But I'll give you the deck setup my life wizard uses for basic mob fights (some of these spells won't be available to you until later on, but better to know before you get too used to anything):

1 lifeblade
1 amulet lifeblade
1 spirit blade
1 gargantuan
1 forest lord
1 reshuffle

I pack a small deck and carry only what I need to get the job done right the first time; I do not carry heals or shields for mob fights, as they only take up space that is better used for attack spells.

-

Once again, my wizards and I welcome you to the Spiral!
Hope I didn't scare you (much)... Happy questing!

-von
your friendly neighbourhood half-evil balance wizard

90 and
40 and
Wow, I just love your writing style. "The great Vonawesome allows you to enter her domain.", That is just priceless. Delightful. You are always so helpful and have such a wonderful balance of tough love. I aspire to your greatness.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
@Login,

You can apply about two thirds of what Dr. Von said to your school as well. Her post was aimed at assisting a Life school wizard, but a lot of her suggestions can be implemented regardless of the school a player has chosen.

Dr. Von also mentioned, in another Post, not to overload your spell deck options. Street fights don't last that long so you don't want to be wasting turns discarding, and passing waiting for that special spell.

At your level, I would use Triton, Storm Lord for the AE (Area Effect) damage + Stun, and Tempest. I would use Blades enhancing Storm damage as often as possible. The use of Shields and other Charms are situational.

Any school without the ability to self heal should always consider loading some sort of heal spell for survivability as a Zero health wizard does no damage.

Gabriel Level 70