Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Pet System needs to be nerfed

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but this system is worse than the waterworks, which I am pretty sure KI regrets. (It gave us a "best set", not a variety to choose from)

Too Long; Didn't Read: The system is broken, disappointing, and really: It's a step towards "Pay-to-Win". It's the most broken aspect of the game, and that is coming from one of the earlier members. (No, not beta, but still before most)

The pets back before fairy, the mega update, all the fancy overpowered stuff, were overpowered as is. Those who could afford the money to purchase Evil Magma Peas, Deadly Helephant Ears, Couch Potatoes, or Mega Snack Packs had an advantage over the majority of the wizards who don't. Those who don't have it are forced to gruelingly fight for theirs, at an extremely slow pace (EMP every 8 to 14 hours of farming, anyone?).

Then, the system is also somewhat degrading and just disappointing. The lack of variety makes it extremely boring to play through, and the actually fun/challenging games, such as Way of the Ninja Pig or the Maze Game take way to long. In the time it takes to do one Way of the Ninja Pig round, I can do two to five dance games (depending on the level).

Now, usually, I'm against all this "CrownsIsle" and the game is "P2W" junk. But in this aspect of the game, it sadly is. If you want to excel in PvP, you must have a pet with decent attributes. You can't go in the arena and expect to get to commander now, especially with the new Aquila dungeons. Minimal, you need a decent pet at Ancient with at least two good talents. If you don't, don't plan on overlord. It won't happen.

Those who do have many successful pets though, are generally those who have lots of extra money to spend on the game, or multiple (six or more) hours per day to waste online. The average gamer, someone who can maybe only make one crowns purchase or a monthly subscription, cannot. You'll see in Azteca mainly hardcore gamers, those who are experienced in strategy, whereas you will not see Menu Chatters. Maybe one or two, but you won't see them as often as open chatters/text chatters who can actually talk to the people they're hatching.

The pet system also shows the constant trend of failure, or success. Whenever I receive a good pet, my reaction is, "Oh thank God. I won't have to do that again." However, nine out of ten times the turnout of the pet is a failure. Whether at teen or mega, it's always disappointing. You dumped 30,000 gold into that hatch only to have it fail. Do you know how discouraging that is? I have quit on pets. I don't have the time to come online daily and put up with this. The Mega Update just completely trashed everything else though, now a pet can essentially be a mini-commander robe.

So my Kudos to KI, but this update was by far the worst. It's a cash dump for those with the money, and a pain-in-the-rear for something that's almost necessary. I can't skip it like gardening or crafting, because of the shear difficulty now.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
"Those who do have many successful pets though, are generally those who have lots of extra money to spend on the game, or multiple (six or more) hours per day to waste online."

This is so not even close to being true. I come here a bit before work, and a bit afterwards. I don't devote hour upon hour each day to the game. I don't buy pets nor do I buy mega snack packs as a general rule.
I put in the time, use the snacks that are dropped or that I purchase in the bazaar.
I have some great pets, a lot trained to epic.

The system may be boring, but it is not broken.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
Rony The Turtle on Oct 19, 2013 wrote:
I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but this system is worse than the waterworks, which I am pretty sure KI regrets. (It gave us a "best set", not a variety to choose from)

Too Long; Didn't Read: The system is broken, disappointing, and really: It's a step towards "Pay-to-Win". It's the most broken aspect of the game, and that is coming from one of the earlier members. (No, not beta, but still before most)

The pets back before fairy, the mega update, all the fancy overpowered stuff, were overpowered as is. Those who could afford the money to purchase Evil Magma Peas, Deadly Helephant Ears, Couch Potatoes, or Mega Snack Packs had an advantage over the majority of the wizards who don't. Those who don't have it are forced to gruelingly fight for theirs, at an extremely slow pace (EMP every 8 to 14 hours of farming, anyone?).

Then, the system is also somewhat degrading and just disappointing. The lack of variety makes it extremely boring to play through, and the actually fun/challenging games, such as Way of the Ninja Pig or the Maze Game take way to long. In the time it takes to do one Way of the Ninja Pig round, I can do two to five dance games (depending on the level).

Now, usually, I'm against all this "CrownsIsle" and the game is "P2W" junk. But in this aspect of the game, it sadly is. If you want to excel in PvP, you must have a pet with decent attributes. You can't go in the arena and expect to get to commander now, especially with the new Aquila dungeons. Minimal, you need a decent pet at Ancient with at least two good talents. If you don't, don't plan on overlord. It won't happen.

Those who do have many successful pets though, are generally those who have lots of extra money to spend on the game, or multiple (six or more) hours per day to waste online. The average gamer, someone who can maybe only make one crowns purchase or a monthly subscription, cannot. You'll see in Azteca mainly hardcore gamers, those who are experienced in strategy, whereas you will not see Menu Chatters. Maybe one or two, but you won't see them as often as open chatters/text chatters who can actually talk to the people they're hatching.

The pet system also shows the constant trend of failure, or success. Whenever I receive a good pet, my reaction is, "Oh thank God. I won't have to do that again." However, nine out of ten times the turnout of the pet is a failure. Whether at teen or mega, it's always disappointing. You dumped 30,000 gold into that hatch only to have it fail. Do you know how discouraging that is? I have quit on pets. I don't have the time to come online daily and put up with this. The Mega Update just completely trashed everything else though, now a pet can essentially be a mini-commander robe.

So my Kudos to KI, but this update was by far the worst. It's a cash dump for those with the money, and a pain-in-the-rear for something that's almost necessary. I can't skip it like gardening or crafting, because of the shear difficulty now.
I don't hate you because of your post, but i have to disagree in almost everything. First of all w101 is not (wasn't and won't be) a pay to win game. Check some other MMORPGs and you will see that KI puts in a great effort to avoid such thing compared to other companies. They are absolutely not greedy. Only one thing is not normal in w101, and that is unlimited card pack buys. KI should limit them to maximum 5/day, because it gets kids addicted, but this is a whole different story.

As for mega snacks, you don't even have to use them for bringing up your pet to mega. All you need is to plan your hatches and be patient. Don't take risk, hatch with the best possible choice. Learn how to not hatch when you go impatient. Mega snacks give around 50 expereince. A shanta pudding or other rank 7 snacks give 10-11. Nobody trains his/her pets with ONLY mega snacks. Couch potatoes? Try mealstrom snap dragons instead. Those seeds are easy to get as a drop (my whole bank is full of them) and you can get a lot of mega snacks from gardening.

I don't uderstand your point when you talk about pet games. You say that quick games are boring, the funny and entertaining games are too long. Then whats the matter? Play 5 dancing game in a row for quick xp, then play a "way of the ninja pig" for fun.

That's true what you said about hatching is really gold consuming. The only answer you can give this problem is to learn how you get fast gold. Have you ever tried Halfang'g cave in Vestrilund (Wintertusk-Grizzleheim)? Try it once. If you go there with a good gear and deck setup, then you can easily farm 100k gold or so in one hour.

You are also right about PvP. It's almost impossible to achieve higher ranks without a very good pet, but this is okay. Skill is just one component of success in pvp, preparation is the other part. You are racing with your opponennt before the match even starts. Who can get a better pet? Better gear? Better spells from the Loremaster or from crafting? Thats all part of the game, and i really love it!

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Jerry Saibot on Oct 21, 2013 wrote:
I don't hate you because of your post, but i have to disagree in almost everything. First of all w101 is not (wasn't and won't be) a pay to win game. Check some other MMORPGs and you will see that KI puts in a great effort to avoid such thing compared to other companies. They are absolutely not greedy. Only one thing is not normal in w101, and that is unlimited card pack buys. KI should limit them to maximum 5/day, because it gets kids addicted, but this is a whole different story.

As for mega snacks, you don't even have to use them for bringing up your pet to mega. All you need is to plan your hatches and be patient. Don't take risk, hatch with the best possible choice. Learn how to not hatch when you go impatient. Mega snacks give around 50 expereince. A shanta pudding or other rank 7 snacks give 10-11. Nobody trains his/her pets with ONLY mega snacks. Couch potatoes? Try mealstrom snap dragons instead. Those seeds are easy to get as a drop (my whole bank is full of them) and you can get a lot of mega snacks from gardening.

I don't uderstand your point when you talk about pet games. You say that quick games are boring, the funny and entertaining games are too long. Then whats the matter? Play 5 dancing game in a row for quick xp, then play a "way of the ninja pig" for fun.

That's true what you said about hatching is really gold consuming. The only answer you can give this problem is to learn how you get fast gold. Have you ever tried Halfang'g cave in Vestrilund (Wintertusk-Grizzleheim)? Try it once. If you go there with a good gear and deck setup, then you can easily farm 100k gold or so in one hour.

You are also right about PvP. It's almost impossible to achieve higher ranks without a very good pet, but this is okay. Skill is just one component of success in pvp, preparation is the other part. You are racing with your opponennt before the match even starts. Who can get a better pet? Better gear? Better spells from the Loremaster or from crafting? Thats all part of the game, and i really love it!
I said this is one of the aspects that does seem like a P2W aspect to me. If you go to other games, you'll see you can play upwards of 5000 hours of free-to-play material before getting bored. I would name, but I'm not sure that's allowed. I can name three off the top of my head. (And this game has how many? 5 maybe? lol) But the packs are a problem. Truly, if I wanted, I could bring up a ton of points that make Wizard101 a Pay-to-Win game compared to other MMOs, but I respect the business model even though I don't agree with it. I'm not going to get started on packs, but I do not support them whatsoever. (That's also a P2W aspect, the 120 critical boots? Really KI?)

As for mega snacks: If you plan on going to mega without them, you're gonna be there for a verrryyyy long time...
Maelstrom Snap Dragons VS Couch Potatoes:
Maelstrom Snap Dragons: Chance of mega snack, two needs, and possibilities of rank 5 pests.
Couch Potatoes: Cost money, but guarrenteed reseed and mega snack (unless stacking glitch occurs). two needs, rank 1 pests max.

In that time I could do a way of the ninja pig, I could do another 5 games of dance. I don't have the time to do so, plus, I usually go online to talk to friends so it kinda wastes my time.

I do farm Halfang, and if I wanted, I could buy out the bazaar reagents. (I did that once lol, 350k gold to none, and some were still there... like a page and a half) But I'm talking from the average players perspective, a level 60 (worlds get harder...) and don't know about Halfang. It's quite discouraging.

But pets were originally just little cosmetics with little boosts, spells, deck prep, and gear were not.

@Ravenlady
Key word: Generally. Not everyone. Although you do have Brynn, Darth, and Goldendragon added in game, correct? All three of them have amazing pets. I don't remember which, but 2 of them buy energy elixirs and I know Brynn has seven EMP gardens. Assuming they haven't suddenly turned into greedy people, I'm guessing you hatched with them? Correct? The average menu chatter or low level doesn't have people with great pets added (most times, sometimes true, but most times not). You do garden? Correct? Most garden for Mega Snacks. I'm sure you have used a few yourself, don't lie.

Also, note that you said you only have epic pets. With the recent mega addition, epic isn't at the top. Tell me, on a scale of 1-10, how annoying is it to get to mega? Without energy elixirs (only available through crowns, or grub guardian, which costs crowns now... That's another topic but I won't start on that), it'll take at least a week (assuming you don't come on literally everytime your energy maxes out, or have energy gear) unless you do the "transferring between wizards" thing. I don't like it and I consider it cheating the system, but oh well.

It is broken. Those with money can breeze through the system, those without take forever. Now, who's gonna get higher rank? I could go on, but I hit the character limit. Lol... (3000, wow xD)

Survivor
Apr 13, 2013
I believe what you are saying has thought knit, but I am also sure this is mixed with personal experiences. In my playing time, which has been quite a while, I have never had what people consider to be a good pet. My first decent pet was a Starfish that got proof at teen, ice giver at adult, and may cast ice blade at ancient. Evidently, I used this for my Ice level 10 overlord. His rating is hovering around 1250. Liam, level 10 ice. My brother, who I 2v2 with has an even worse pet. His best pet is a White Winter Owl. And it is at teen, the only talent is gives a tower and may cast tower. He is a level 10 balance overlord at around 1200. He has an Ice 32 Warlord at around 980 and my Myth 35 is at 1400 right now. (Getting close to those leader boards!) The pet I use for my myth is a 17th generation nightmare, (Yup, IM that bad at hatching.) with May cast fairy, gives a feint and mana gift. Yup. I have been trying for a while now, Having my own archmage, to try and get a good pet but I have succeeded without them. So ya,
-Flint 88 Storm

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
No! The pet system is fine. Pets are one of the best parts of the game. It takes a lot of effort to get perfect ones, but perfect shouldn't be too easy no one really needs it. Getting the best gear is hard too. I don't spend crowns yet have some good pets. I do wish there were more ways to train and to get good snacks.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Gemma Luna on Oct 21, 2013 wrote:
No! The pet system is fine. Pets are one of the best parts of the game. It takes a lot of effort to get perfect ones, but perfect shouldn't be too easy no one really needs it. Getting the best gear is hard too. I don't spend crowns yet have some good pets. I do wish there were more ways to train and to get good snacks.
Why should people feel required to get into the hatching system? A player should be able to choose whether they want to be involved in it or not. Of course, crafting and gardening have advantages, but this one gives such a massive advantage that it is a game changer. May I ask, what is your best pet? Probably not a perfect SPUDF or anything along those lines, seeing as you probably don't use megas (you said you don't use crowns)

@Elijah
That's low levels. Try it at Promethean. A pet without any resist or good talents is gonna make PvP so much harder. Yes, I have had some personal experiences, but it is also mixed with the personal experiences of friends.

Have you ever noticed when you are PvPing, the better your pet, the less skill you need to win?

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
I think the pet system is fine the way it is. Most of the points you bring up about the crown items are basically time vs money. you can either speed your way through this portion of the game by spending money on it, or taking the time to farm for the couch potatoes or whatever. it seems like you would rather have it free and take hardly any time, but kingsisle has to make money someway, right?

For mega snacks, you can also farm winterbane( tier 1 is a breeze).

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
There were some threads posted on a fan site last year where a few players made really nice pets on low level wizards without spending any crowns. As others said, if you want it perfect fast you can spend, but if you take it easy you can do fine on the cheap. Gardening, pets, and crafting are all optional, but all of them can help you. I think those things are supposed to be part of the game and add to the fun. If you don't want to, you don't have to, so there's no reason to change pets or anything.

The best thing for PvP would be if everyone used exactly the same arena only gear with no pets and no treasure cards. Then maybe people would stop complaining that every new thing in the game is "OP" and that whatever someone else has is "unfair". Rather than nerf things for everyone, there should be a one-design class PvP. That would be a real test of skill!

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
AustinShadowSwordA... on Oct 22, 2013 wrote:
I think the pet system is fine the way it is. Most of the points you bring up about the crown items are basically time vs money. you can either speed your way through this portion of the game by spending money on it, or taking the time to farm for the couch potatoes or whatever. it seems like you would rather have it free and take hardly any time, but kingsisle has to make money someway, right?

For mega snacks, you can also farm winterbane( tier 1 is a breeze).
Time VS Money
The most pathetic excuse I find KI using. Sorry, but it's my real opinion. All it's saying is "those with more money have a huge advantage over those without". Do you know how wrong and unfair that is? It means that those that want to PvP without it are at a major disadvantage. It's almost as if they're selling PvP rank. They make enough money off the [very corrupt] hoard packs, subscriptions, and areas. I understand they need money to expand, but they're selling advantages. If you farm for couch potatoes, boy, are you in for a great time. It takes roughly 3 to 4 hours to get one now. (Did you nerf the drop rates, KI?)

For mega snacks, that area costs money to purchase. $40, actually. That or begging, which is frowned upon.

@Dakota
While you do bring up good points, the "gardening, pet training, and crafting are optional" point I very much disagree with. If you have a perfect mega pet and you face someone with no pet, who's going to win? Apply that logic to the other two, it doesn't really make a big difference.
I'd be ok if it was a few advantages, but now, if you want, you can almost purchase yourself a mega pet.
I would like to see more variety in PvP, that way those who want to PvP (quitting isn't an option for some... I'd explain but that's a completely different topic) would still be able to PvP without all the flaws in the current system, but I don't complain about that since I have nothing constructive to say.

I could think of a few things that could help with the idea, because well, I've been a little less than constructive (I admit, no matter how valid a rant is, being unconstructive makes it have no value...). I would like to see potions being craftable, including energy elixirs... And mega snacks, maybe KI? Add some more value to crafting? Don't make recipes cost crowns, or else I will have a huge rage. o_o

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Rony The Turtle on Oct 22, 2013 wrote:
Why should people feel required to get into the hatching system? A player should be able to choose whether they want to be involved in it or not. Of course, crafting and gardening have advantages, but this one gives such a massive advantage that it is a game changer. May I ask, what is your best pet? Probably not a perfect SPUDF or anything along those lines, seeing as you probably don't use megas (you said you don't use crowns)

@Elijah
That's low levels. Try it at Promethean. A pet without any resist or good talents is gonna make PvP so much harder. Yes, I have had some personal experiences, but it is also mixed with the personal experiences of friends.

Have you ever noticed when you are PvPing, the better your pet, the less skill you need to win?
Funny that you mention that. I do have an SPUDF Tricky dragon, though i don't use it much. I usually want some offensive talents, so that one is sort of a fail to me but not too bad. Mega snacks are easy to get if you garden. Crowns are not needed.

Waterworks is very popular. I'm not sure why you think KI would consider it a mistake. I know a lot of level 90 players who still use some of the gear, and it is a fun instance to farm.

I know some people only care about PvP, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't enjoy all aspects of the game, including pets just as they are.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Gemma Luna on Oct 24, 2013 wrote:
Funny that you mention that. I do have an SPUDF Tricky dragon, though i don't use it much. I usually want some offensive talents, so that one is sort of a fail to me but not too bad. Mega snacks are easy to get if you garden. Crowns are not needed.

Waterworks is very popular. I'm not sure why you think KI would consider it a mistake. I know a lot of level 90 players who still use some of the gear, and it is a fun instance to farm.

I know some people only care about PvP, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't enjoy all aspects of the game, including pets just as they are.
Thus saying if I want a good pet (with many mega snacks), I must garden? And if I want that good garden, I must farm hours upon hours at an almost non-existent farming rate? The rate of dropping now is maybe one every few hours. That or I have to purchase a lot of items.

I really don't want to get into the topic of why Waterworks was a mistake, it set the standards we have too high, plus it excludes menu chatters. To be a menu chatter and successfully farm with a group on multiple runs is rather difficult. For the personal player, it isn't a disadvantage, but to the game design as a whole, it very much is. Tell me, which is better, the new level 90 to 95 bazaar gear in test realm, or level 60 gear. It eliminated players choosing "which set would be better for this fight? Set 1 or 2?" Now, it's stuck at #1.

PvP is a fundamental part of most MMORPGs. If the MMORPG presents the option of PvP, then more players are attracted and stay longer. Of course PvP is gonna have a major affect on the way the game runs. Odds are if it is overpowered in PvP, it's overpowered in PvE.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
Gemma Luna on Oct 24, 2013 wrote:

LoL. I have a SPUDF pet too, and used mega snacks only from drops.

I made it to warlord with a pet know the following talents: spiritely, spell froof, add balance.

Don't tell me thats a rare, and hard to obtain pet. Only needed a couple of hatches from zero.

I think Rony this is your time to retreat. Pet system is just cool as it is.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Jerry Saibot on Oct 26, 2013 wrote:
LoL. I have a SPUDF pet too, and used mega snacks only from drops.

I made it to warlord with a pet know the following talents: spiritely, spell froof, add balance.

Don't tell me thats a rare, and hard to obtain pet. Only needed a couple of hatches from zero.

I think Rony this is your time to retreat. Pet system is just cool as it is.
Sadly I'm persistant <3

And for a menu chat that pet actually is pretty tough to get lol

Yes, but what level were you at? Level 90? Level 30? Level 10?
If it's level 10, then I hate to say it, but it means nothing. Level 16- is easy to get overlord on :/ (Yes, I tried it)
Level 30, pretty easy, I can get to commander without a pet, but as soon as I transferred my SPPD (No mega update at the time) to him, I got to overlord easily.
Level 90, with that type of pet that would be an amazing accomplishment. I won't deny that. That's pretty difficult. Mainly because most have good pets at that point.

How long did it take you to get the mega snacks?

Wait... You have a SPUDF but used a SPA to get to warlord..? Wah? O.o

I could have expanded on what I was saying but I'm tired... So meh. ^-^'

Explorer
Jun 08, 2012
Rony The Turtle on Oct 19, 2013 wrote:

Most people will not agree with you. KI does what most of the people would like. Let's say 60% of the people like an update, 40% hate it. Do you think they would risk the 60% leaving the game to keep the 40% here?

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
So basically you are saying because other people bother to farm for seeds, garden for snacks, hatch and train pets, but you don't want to, everyone should have pets nerfed.

Sorry, I like pets just as they are.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Shayden181 on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
Most people will not agree with you. KI does what most of the people would like. Let's say 60% of the people like an update, 40% hate it. Do you think they would risk the 60% leaving the game to keep the 40% here?
Following that logic, reshuffle never would have been nerfed. However that's another topic. This is for game balance, and so pets don't feel "required". KI has done this before, and those 60% aren't gonna leave because of a singular update.

@Dakota
I want you to farm for seeds, odds are you bought them. Nowadays, I don't bother farming anymore. It takes 4-5 hours to get just one seed. I shouldn't have to spend that much time. Training pets and hatching isn't easy, especially to a menu chatter.

I have an idea to fix this, but I'm planning on posting it to another thread on central rather than here (quicker and more responses). It would be a program that would help players who don't have chat to get great pets, and to farm areas for megas or seeds (similar to guilds, except more monitored).