Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells darker than usual

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 30, 2012
Ever since I started playing again, I noticed that sometimes, the color of a spell is darker than it should be. Leprechaun, for example, will sometimes have a dark shade over the entire spell.
My friend also experiences this sometimes.
Minor but annoying bug that needs to be addressed.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2009
Yep, this has been an issue with the game for a while now.
I believe it has something to do with the Graphics card on all computers.
I have played on many Windows and Mac computers and the problem has occurred on all of them.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
I think if your in a dark place it does that?

Survivor
Aug 11, 2012
This happens to me, too. I don't find it to be a major annoyance. (In fact, my sister and I hold that "dark" spells are the most powerful. xD) However, it is indeed a bug, and if it can be fixed then that's great. ^^

~Melissa Hawkriver

Level 31

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
It is not the computer causing it because it is not consistent and the very same spell will look just fine when cast later in the same fight, so yea, I agree, its a bug.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2012
The best way to describe this shading is like the the sun in the game is being blocked by a building or something else. But yes, when you spell is cast & is shaded it does appear to be more powerful.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
I have experienced this too. it does kind of makes your spell not look good, hopefully they patch it.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Kyle Myth Wizard on Oct 27, 2013 wrote:
No, I was once in colorful Mooshu and it happened.

Survivor
Feb 24, 2013
I have had that happen too, same with frost beetle looking more like crystal than ice

Gavin MythBreaker Legendary Necromancer
Jonathan DarkWhisper Master Sorcerer
Jack FairyBreaker Adept Pyromancer

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
Happens to me too, mostly with death spells . My wraith will look darker than usual, but it doesn't bother me at all. It makes it look super evil lol. It doesn't happen to me a lot anymore, but probably just once in awhile.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
Happens a lot to me, and it's probably a bug, but I used to think it was just because of darkness. Anyway, I've noticed for some time now, so I don't know, but I really hope KI can fix it.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2011
I have had that happen many times myself. I don't know what causes it. and i agree it needs to be fixed. I often wonder if the attack has a different effect, like high or lower damage.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2011
Stormgem307 on Dec 1, 2013 wrote:
Happens to me too, mostly with death spells . My wraith will look darker than usual, but it doesn't bother me at all. It makes it look super evil lol. It doesn't happen to me a lot anymore, but probably just once in awhile.
I think that it might have to do with what type of wizard you are. i am , and the darkining happens most with & . So, who knows? It could be random, it could make spells more powerful, but it should go away.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2013
Kyle Myth Wizard on Oct 27, 2013 wrote:
I don't think it's because of that Kyle.
Because the whole area is colorful except the spell.

Mark

Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
To me, this has happened with blades and I think traps. Except they don't get more powerful. Which would be so O.P.

Kenneth Earth/Dark Leaf, lvl 28/15 /
Anthony Titansword, lvl 7

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
It also happens with Cyclops sometimes but chill by the fire and relax, it wont mess up anything, just a little shade. And if you don't believe me ask Autumn Summerstone.

Autumn Summerstone lvl 23 secret shopper
p.s i'm usually at my house or sometimes the commons

Keep Cool, Stay Cool, That's The Way Life Goes.

Explorer
Apr 13, 2013
I have also had that problem. Dark sprites (that are usually on me) will somethimes look darker than usual.
This has also happened on leprachans. This may be a minor problem, but I am not a big fan of it.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2012
I have it happen a lot too, especially with locust swarm, humungofrog and icezilla spells
I hope it gets fixed by ki.
Seth lotusword, lvl 39 , secondary
Alicia lightslinger, lvl 6, secondary

Wizard101 be the best.
I hope they make more worlds after khrysalis though.
Please khrysalis not be the end! And look at nico scythea posts, please
Ki make that into a world like that after khrysalis! But i am getting a bit off
Track. That is all i have to say.
Seth lotus out

Survivor
Dec 28, 2012
I think its just with old computers cos when i tried it on my friend and families other computers it was fine
Seth lotus

"Timing saves lives. So do heals." Anonymous

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
It happens to me also, but I like how it looks

The wraith appearing with pure black graves and a black ground, looks amazing

Famori coming through the forest that looks like black snow with tree out of them, just spectacular, but does gives a creepy feeling

The locust spell looks like a sphinx coming out of the abyss of the underworld nice touch gives a " I brought zombie locusts" against ya

so it does make some spells look better imo, but if it is a bug it can be fixed

Survivor
Jun 24, 2013
this use to happen all the time with me, but it starting to get more rare to see this dark shading when i am doing a spell.

Defender
Oct 21, 2010
seth lotus on Jan 17, 2014 wrote:
I think its just with old computers cos when i tried it on my friend and families other computers it was fine
Seth lotus

"Timing saves lives. So do heals." Anonymous
I don't think it's just on old computers, I've encountered this on computers enabled with OSX Mavericks and Windows 8.

-See Ya In The Spiral!!

Julia DragonLeaf

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
Yeah, sometimes this happens. Actually, it not only is darker sometimes, it's BRIGHTER. I find that sometimes, when I put up sanctuary and cast some life spell, it happens. Sometimes, though.

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, leveel 54 theurgist

Survivor
Dec 28, 2012
If you read the test realm updates, it sounds to me like its fixed.
Seth lotussword 45

Survivor
Jan 28, 2014
This happened a lot to me. Oddly, it never occurred in dungeons for me.

At first I thought the spells with darker animations were just treasure cards and KI shaded them so we could tell the difference but, I found it wasn't the case when I casted deathblade and it was a shade darker. It really got under my skin. Things like that are one of my pet peeves.