Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fleeing PvP should cost Crowns!

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Why is it so hard to find a decent teammate for 2v2? Most of my friends have moved onto other games, so I don't really have anyone I can count on anymore... I usually stick to 1v1, but thought I would try something different.

I just fought TWO VETERANS, by myself. My teammate bailed on me a few rounds in, so it was just me and them: level 82 Ice with universal immunity and level 90 life turtle in jade gear.

After my teammate left, I gave the other team quite a show... But, as awesome as I am, I can't take down TWO veterans with immunity. So here is my idea:

1) Fleeing PvP should have a Crowns cost.

This would keep most people (unless you are stupidly rich or just a horrible person) from abusing the privilege~ if you don't have Crowns (or just don't want to waste them), then don't flee the match/inconvenience or annoy your teammate(s).

2) If a teammate flees during a multiplayer match, the remaining ones should be compensated for their trouble.

Because, really, it's not my fault that I lost. Nothing short of a miracle could have made me win that match, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been there.

3) Jade gear should be made No-PvP.

Yes, there is Infallible, and small bits of armour piercing from gear. But none of that can counter immunity of that magnitude... Imagine that guy had a SPPD pet! That's 100% IMMUNITY. And the average wizard without Crowns can get through maybe 25% of that... and that's being generous.

-

PvP is so broken, it's almost not worth fixing. The matching system is completely random and has nothing to do with level or rank; plus it's no secret that money buys the latter.

When I started playing, the Crowns vs Time balance was actually, well, balanced. Now, the Crowns stuff gives so much leverage over those who actually put time and effort into the game, that those of us who choose the hard-work route simply can't compete... I have Crowns, lots of them. But my 2 (soon to be 3) promethean wizards are level 90 because I worked hard: not because I bought my way through the game.

And, if I ever make it to Warlord status (which I sincerely doubt), it will be because I earned it, without expensive and overpowered Crowns items. And if that means I'll be a private forever, then I'm okay with that, too. I'd rather be a private than use money power to exploit loopholes in the system.

KI has made it clear that putting my time and effort into this game is no longer enough. I honestly won't be surprised if, in the next world, people will be able to bypass entire worlds and buy stats or levels for Crowns. And, if that's how it's going to be, then perhaps I made a poor choice in coming back here.

The next time I leave, it will likely be for good.

-v.

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
Wow... sad story there. But I don't have crowns (well, I have 25, but that won't get anything) so if I fled after I was defeated, and my teammates couldn't heal me, I'd actually owe KI money. But anyway, I do think overpowered things shouldn't be in PvP, and even if they stay, I rarely do it anyway. Also, I know KI will be smart enough to still have Crowns players play legit, even if someone will spend 1,000,000 crowns on a level, because the attraction of a game is to play it, and have challenges, rather than breeze through it to find yourself at a dead end.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Dr Von,

All three items really drop down to you finding a solid PvP partner, not just a random players that has no experience.

If they made fleeing a crown cost, I would quit the game, today. There are many times that I run out of time,
or need to do something else, like eat, etc, where I have to flee. So a crown fee comes in, and I move to
my other games (and you have just lost another player from PvP and you have less to battle).

Item number two, again, why do you have a parnter that flees, is that the other players fault, your fault,
no it's just a player that doesn't know how to pvp. Plus how do you set up a stratergy with someone that
you random join with? How do you know what ther person is going to do, how many heals they have,
how many reshuffles they plan to use, etc? You don't, and therefore you put yourself at a huge disadvantage
from the very start of the pvp match.

Item number three, my deck and sidedeck is set up for Jade, and to play from Second.
Yes, I don't care about first, cause they are usually easy wins. So my deck is designed to play from second, and it works well.

You have to kill Jades fast, without delay, and know what is in your deck and how to do it. A good Jade must be taken down before the Guardian goes up, if possible. This is the fastest way to do it, imo, but you need to have learned feints, etc, and have the correect setup.

As far as gear goes, crown items are nice, but I find the Cronus Athame, the Galidator Ring, and the Hades
gear does just fine in the Ring (along with a good pet). The Gear helps a lot as you rank up past Commander, but before that it's the deck setup that really helps.

These are just my opinions, and I am sure others will counter what I say.

Hope you have a great day,
imjustanoob.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Dr Von on Oct 3, 2013 wrote:
Why is it so hard to find a decent teammate for 2v2? Most of my friends have moved onto other games, so I don't really have anyone I can count on anymore... I usually stick to 1v1, but thought I would try something different.

I just fought TWO VETERANS, by myself. My teammate bailed on me a few rounds in, so it was just me and them: level 82 Ice with universal immunity and level 90 life turtle in jade gear.

After my teammate left, I gave the other team quite a show... But, as awesome as I am, I can't take down TWO veterans with immunity. So here is my idea:

1) Fleeing PvP should have a Crowns cost.

This would keep most people (unless you are stupidly rich or just a horrible person) from abusing the privilege~ if you don't have Crowns (or just don't want to waste them), then don't flee the match/inconvenience or annoy your teammate(s).

2) If a teammate flees during a multiplayer match, the remaining ones should be compensated for their trouble.

Because, really, it's not my fault that I lost. Nothing short of a miracle could have made me win that match, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been there.

3) Jade gear should be made No-PvP.

Yes, there is Infallible, and small bits of armour piercing from gear. But none of that can counter immunity of that magnitude... Imagine that guy had a SPPD pet! That's 100% IMMUNITY. And the average wizard without Crowns can get through maybe 25% of that... and that's being generous.

-

PvP is so broken, it's almost not worth fixing. The matching system is completely random and has nothing to do with level or rank; plus it's no secret that money buys the latter.

When I started playing, the Crowns vs Time balance was actually, well, balanced. Now, the Crowns stuff gives so much leverage over those who actually put time and effort into the game, that those of us who choose the hard-work route simply can't compete... I have Crowns, lots of them. But my 2 (soon to be 3) promethean wizards are level 90 because I worked hard: not because I bought my way through the game.

And, if I ever make it to Warlord status (which I sincerely doubt), it will be because I earned it, without expensive and overpowered Crowns items. And if that means I'll be a private forever, then I'm okay with that, too. I'd rather be a private than use money power to exploit loopholes in the system.

KI has made it clear that putting my time and effort into this game is no longer enough. I honestly won't be surprised if, in the next world, people will be able to bypass entire worlds and buy stats or levels for Crowns. And, if that's how it's going to be, then perhaps I made a poor choice in coming back here.

The next time I leave, it will likely be for good.

-v.
I'm sorry that happened Von . But think about what could happen, what if you didn't expect the match to be so long (lets say 30 minutes over the estimated 45 minutes to an hour that a 2v2 at high level could take) And say it goes 30 minutes over that, but you had to be somewhere? Like say your boss needs you at work to take over that shift? Then you can't really help the fact that you have to go. I'm just saying. Ooh or you could say that if they flee in the first like 5-10 minutes it costs crowns. Because if they really have to go somewhere they should know they can't do a match And need to be somewhere in 5-10 minutes.

Hope you have better luck (I'm good at 2v2 with a balance hit me up LOL)
Wolf Skullslinger

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
"PvP is so broken, it's almost not worth fixing."-Dr. Von

I disagree with you. As i have stated on many occasions,to suggest pvp is broken,would indicate that it once worked,and thus works no longer. I suggest that it was never setup properly to begin with,and the only way to solve the the problem is a complete overhaul of it from top to bottom. I don't think that will happen though,as KI seems loathe to devote the time or resources to such an endeavor. Sadly,the "band-aid" fixes that they do implement from time to time seem only to exacerbate the problems.
I do agree that people who flee matches should invoke some sort of penalty. The tired defense of "time to eat, something came up,bedtime,etc." doesn't hold water. If you don't have time to complete a match,then don't join one. Barring an emergency or such, finish the match.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Intrepidatius on Oct 4, 2013 wrote:

I disagree with you. As i have stated on many occasions,to suggest pvp is broken,would indicate that it once worked,and thus works no longer. I suggest that it was never setup properly to begin with,and the only way to solve the the problem is a complete overhaul of it from top to bottom. I don't think that will happen though,as KI seems loathe to devote the time or resources to such an endeavor. Sadly,the "band-aid" fixes that they do implement from time to time seem only to exacerbate the problems.
I do agree that people who flee matches should invoke some sort of penalty. The tired defense of "time to eat, something came up,bedtime,etc." doesn't hold water. If you don't have time to complete a match,then don't join one. Barring an emergency or such, finish the match.
If you're playing a 4 hour match against death spammers and jades, someone will eventually flee. There are occurrences that you cannot predict, such as suddenly having your game/computer crash, having an extremely long match, or just having to go without warning. Perhaps a small penalty, such as as small amount of arena tickets, but there should not be a large penalty on fleeing. There are just too many things that could cause a person to flee, and some of them cannot be avoided.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Intrepidatius on Oct 4, 2013 wrote:

Well, I only started playing in 2011, so I gave KI the benefit of the doubt and assumed that, at some point, things weren't always this bad.

I agree with you, 100%. I think KI should either put in the effort required to really FIX PvP, or do away with it completely. These band-aid fixes aren't going to cut it.

I suggested a Crowns penalty for the simple fact that Crowns cost real money and, therefore, people would be less likely to abuse them. Yes, life happens, but I sincerely doubt that every person magically has to eat, work, or go to sleep in the middle of a match. I agree completely with Intrepidatius there as well: if you don't have time, don't join.

Leaving in the middle of a match is disrespectful to your opponents/teammates AND a total waste of everyone's time: a knock at the door, a sick or injured child, your boss calling you into work... Those are emergencies, as they are outside of your control. Anything else is just a lame excuse.

Veracity said:

All three items really drop down to you finding a solid PvP partner, not just a random players that has no experience.

As I mentioned in the original post (assuming you read it), I used to have a solid group of people I played with who knew what they were doing. But they've all moved onto other games now~ does that mean I should have to give it up, just because they did?

My problem is not killing jade turtles. I have done it before, and will likely do it again. But I can't take on 2 of them by myself~ there is only one of me.

I have awesome gear (all in-game stuff) and a solid deck. But I don't have a mastery amulet, or the jade set~ yes, the offensive stats on it are horrible, but you don't need offensive stats with that amount of resist. The stats on the PvP elite gear are already ridiculously inflated, but I can get through 55% universal resist~ not 100%.100% universal resist (assuming the guy has a SFPD pet) is excessive and doesn't belong in the ring, period.

Wolf Skullslinger said:

Hope you have better luck (I'm good at 2v2 with a balance hit me up LOL)

I will. Thanks. :)

-v.