Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Craft vs Drop

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 21, 2009
Hello everybody!

Tell me, are you a craft-o-holic who likes to pvp? Or do you prefer to just use drops from packs or buy stuff from vendors and use that for pvp? Well tell me your preference and why you think what you like in pvp gear is better than the other. Stuff like "It's less expensive." or "It's stronger than normal." you know. Debate on which type is more efficient.

I personally am a craft-o-holic who loves pvp. Grizzle heim has some powerful crafts in winter tusk that I really like because of the power. I also am working on an amulate for my wizard to use in combat. I think it's better because of the power, sure it takes time and gold but i think it's worth it.

What's your thought?

Now play smart and play nice

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I agree that Wintertusk is about the first world where crafting gear can actually be an upgrade. But in today's PvP world the best gear for certain levels is bought with arena tickets, unless you own all 3 pieces of Jade Gear from packs, which is one of the reasons I've changed my PvP level to level 50, and have completely written off Promethean PvP.

I personally love to craft gear, but the Azteca gear was such a minor upgrade for such a great amount of effort, that crafting at that level has also lost my interest. Hades gear looks decent but I've had no luck in Tartarus getting anything useful so far.

Glendemming's gear is simply superior for the level that it is.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
noahdd on Sep 18, 2013 wrote:
Hello everybody!

Tell me, are you a craft-o-holic who likes to pvp? Or do you prefer to just use drops from packs or buy stuff from vendors and use that for pvp? Well tell me your preference and why you think what you like in pvp gear is better than the other. Stuff like "It's less expensive." or "It's stronger than normal." you know. Debate on which type is more efficient.

I personally am a craft-o-holic who loves pvp. Grizzle heim has some powerful crafts in winter tusk that I really like because of the power. I also am working on an amulate for my wizard to use in combat. I think it's better because of the power, sure it takes time and gold but i think it's worth it.

What's your thought?

I play pvp quite a bit sometimes, I use the same clothing while playing pvp, as when I battle bosses.

Let's see, my hat is crafted, my robe is hades drop, my boots are from a pack I bought long ago. Also, I am debating on crafting Token of the Underworld Sun (Just got enough turquoise) which would only be useful in pvp.

My hat, Silvertongue Cowl, gives good resist to storm, fire and ice, the critical rating is good (won't find that in Aquila Crafted gear) and average damage boost. Plus, Avalon crafting items are easy to craft.

My robe, Hades' Rainment of Justice!, is basically like the Waterworks robe I used to wear, but ten times better!

My shoes which I forgot the name of, was from a pack I bought during that rare moment, which is I actually had crowns, which I never do. It gives 10 resist, which is the best thing about it, though I am currently trying to acquire the hades' boots.

So basically, I craft a little, I farm a little.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
Hello everybody!

What's your thought?

Personally for me I prefer neither. Crown gear is almost always better. And crowns aren't really that expensive when you think about it. I can spend hours grinding waiting for a drop or crafting or I can just spend an extra hour at work and that will be enough to buy all the crown gear I need. Only on the rare occasion that the stats on crafted or dropped gear are better for what I am trying to do will I take the time to get them.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Hello everybody!

What's your thought?

I prefer crafted gear in high level PvP and bazaar gear in midlevel PvP and crowns in low level PvP. But I definitely think its worth it to craft.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Hello everybody!

What's your thought?

I hate crafting, but do it anyway (for my high-level wizards). They don't PvP, but the WT crafted gear is on-par with Waterworks drops, which is the gateway to the Tartarus dropped gear.

I started PvP with dropped/crafted gear. But I've discovered that you can't rank up without spending real money. So I have done exactly that with my noobs~ nothing extreme, like mastery amulets or anything; just the level 5 gear with stupid amounts of resist.

When the day comes that dropped/crafted gear is better than the Crown shop stuff, or even on-par with the PvP elite gear, then I will use that instead. Until then, I'm not above using money power to circumvent the system.

-v.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
Right now, Hades gear is better than the crafted sets but eventually the best gear is going to go back to crafted.Don't forget the ice gear and the crown shop jade gear!

Defender
Aug 26, 2011
well... i'm personally a plain old ww fan i know it's old and whatever but it's got me there. i did however use wintertusk ring of valor on my climb to warlord. so a little craft stuff.
i still want to see customizable craft gear but that's a different topic.

Gabriel Ashcaller lvl 76 warlord

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Gabriel 1 savage p... on Sep 27, 2013 wrote:
well... i'm personally a plain old ww fan i know it's old and whatever but it's got me there. i did however use wintertusk ring of valor on my climb to warlord. so a little craft stuff.
i still want to see customizable craft gear but that's a different topic.

Gabriel Ashcaller lvl 76 warlord
LoL, some of my level 90 wizards are still using at least one piece of Waterworks gear too. Many of the higher level "upgrades" seem to have omitted universal resist. And universal resist is the first thing I look for in a hat, robe, or boots.

Kind of sad that level 60 gear is still superior at level 90.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Malt22 on Sep 27, 2013 wrote:
LoL, some of my level 90 wizards are still using at least one piece of Waterworks gear too. Many of the higher level "upgrades" seem to have omitted universal resist. And universal resist is the first thing I look for in a hat, robe, or boots.

Kind of sad that level 60 gear is still superior at level 90.
Excuse me? All new "higher level "upgrades"" (aka hades' gear) are ten times better than WW gear.

• All Hades' robes gives +12 universal resist
  • All Hades' hats gives +8-12 universal resist
  • All Hades' boots gives +6 and up universal resist

I have no idea what you are talking about. The other kind of Hades' gear, doesn't give resist (maybe you're talking about that, but don't mislead these poor wizards). Kind of happy level 90 hades' gear IS upgraded with resist from the WW gear.

A little something for reference http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-gear-guides/wizard101-hades-gear-guide/

Survivor
Jul 08, 2012
I am a craft-o-holic.

I am level 81 fire wizard. I am wearing the avalon crafted hat, robe and boots
& the cosmic kris and stellar signet from celestia.

I use the cosmic kris and stellar signet because they give over 40 healing in and out
together, which is insane. I have the grizzleheim wintertusk w/e area is called rings.
which are nice but still do not give anywhere near as much healing. I may switch them
out from time to time but i do not see my self ever getting rid of my stellar signet or
cosmic kris. I plan to get level 90 jade gear later and the level 90 crown shop healing
wand and play testing them to see what having nearly 70 global resist and 70 healing
in and out will be like. might try to get a resist pet to boost it further too.

I have no global resist but i do have decent resist to the schools that i am weak
against, mainly storm and ice. resist aside my crafted gear is better than WW gear
mainly because mine is better in every stat besides having no resist and there is 2 more
tiers of craftable gear for me to make that are better than what i have on now and if i if
the fact my avalon gear is arguable to you and you think its not better then what about
when i craft the transcendent azteca version or the transcendent aquila amber version?

I will be rocking the best crafted gear in the game and swapping it in and out with Jade
gear while farming Hades for his gear which is the best in the game by far and pvping
in my spare time to get pvp gear just to test play it and also i like the look of some pvp
gear i might stitch it onto my crafted, jade and hades sets.

I have my eyes on all the crafted gear as well as Jade gear and Hades gear...

WW & PVP gear players can all bow down to me because so far i am not impressed with
it.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Wizgamer105 on Sep 28, 2013 wrote:
Excuse me? All new "higher level "upgrades"" (aka hades' gear) are ten times better than WW gear.

• All Hades' robes gives +12 universal resist
  • All Hades' hats gives +8-12 universal resist
  • All Hades' boots gives +6 and up universal resist

I have no idea what you are talking about. The other kind of Hades' gear, doesn't give resist (maybe you're talking about that, but don't mislead these poor wizards). Kind of happy level 90 hades' gear IS upgraded with resist from the WW gear.

A little something for reference http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-gear-guides/wizard101-hades-gear-guide/
Not all of us have been lucky enough to get a piece of Hades gear yet. I've been trying for that gear but until then some of my wizard's gear is still from Waterworks.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Malt22 on Sep 29, 2013 wrote:
Not all of us have been lucky enough to get a piece of Hades gear yet. I've been trying for that gear but until then some of my wizard's gear is still from Waterworks.
Um, that was irrelevant!

I did not say all of us were lucky enough to get Hades' gear. You specifically said, they "omitted" universal resist in the new gear, I then talked about the Hades' gear which has resist, what are you talking about?! . Please tell me.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2012
The high level crafted gear is better than drops from packs
EthanDeathsword lvl87