Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questing and level cap question

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
So, here I am, with the help of some great friends, finally in Azteca. I know the level cap is 90 and I'm currently sitting at L83. I know once I hit the cap, I wont gain any new experience, and we can infer from previous experience, the next level cap will only be 10 levels (unless something changes). It seems that every new world from Zafaria and up you can max out the 10 levels without even finishing the world. So this brings me to my question. Since KI won't give us any input, will it really hurt me to quest while not gaining experience? Other than the off chance that they COULD raise it 20 levels next time?

Administrator
Your statement "Since KI won't give us any input," is hardly fair. We have repeatedly stated that there are many chapters to this story and we're only just approaching the culmination of Morgranthe's tale. We don't release dates or teasers until the content is ready for our players to see.

When you reach level 90 your experience bar will disappear,and you will not gain experience from duels or quests.

Just as when we raised the level cap to 60,70,80 and again 90, when we raise the level cap again, you will start out at level 90 and be able to once again receive experience from duels and quests that you participate in after the level cap is raised.

Many players choose not to continue with a character that hits the level 90 cap until the next level cap increase release. Instead, they spend time leveling up other characters on their account.

community@wizard101.com
Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Prof. Greyrose,

You seem to be the most knowledgeable and accessible of the professors, so I will ask this to you (would love to hear from other profs as well);

Khalkos Copperflame that stands near Silenus in Aquila after defeating Zeus the first time, has crafting possibilities for hats, robes, shoe and wands. Is there some point in time down the road where a second or third person will be available for the remainder of the items?

Also, I was excited to hear that after defeating Cronus, Wizard101Central sounded as if he had something grand to say, much less, I thought the three lost souls would transform into Hestia, Hera and Demeter. Sorry, but I was bummed at his response, and wondered why, with all the grottos and caves, they weren't added in?

Freddo is doing fine, and when I manage to find a team of three others that are needing to do Tartarus, I will be happier about being treated like a joke.

Timothy Pearflower, L90

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I should have clarified that statement, and I apologize for not making myself clear. What I meant was, that anytime anybody asks why the cap is only ever upped by 10 levels, there doesn't seem to be a reply from the devs about why this is the case. 10 seems like a magic number, but seems so arbitrary as well.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Continuing through a world without collecting additional experience is honestly, no problem at all. Once a new world comes out, KI makes sure there is enough XP to take you to the next level cap without any difficulty.

I have a couple of wizards that when they reach the level cap, they continue on, because I want to see the remaining content of the game. I'm not going to cheat myself just because I hit the level cap before the end of the new world. Honestly, it's not a big deal and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Enjoy the game. No worries!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
dayerider on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
So, here I am, with the help of some great friends, finally in Azteca. I know the level cap is 90 and I'm currently sitting at L83. I know once I hit the cap, I wont gain any new experience, and we can infer from previous experience, the next level cap will only be 10 levels (unless something changes). It seems that every new world from Zafaria and up you can max out the 10 levels without even finishing the world. So this brings me to my question. Since KI won't give us any input, will it really hurt me to quest while not gaining experience? Other than the off chance that they COULD raise it 20 levels next time?
Each world that KI has released so far, has had enough experience to reach the level cap. They specifically do that for the players that complete every quest in the game and only have the new released quests.

For most of the worlds, the main quests alone will net you roughly 10 levels of experience. However, there are a few worlds where several side quests are needed to complete 10 levels.

You will never not have enough experience as new worlds are released, so it will not hurt you to quest while not gaining experience.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I should have clarified that statement, and I apologize for not making myself clear. What I meant was, that anytime anybody asks why the cap is only ever upped by 10 levels, there doesn't seem to be a reply from the devs about why this is the case. 10 seems like a magic number, but seems so arbitrary as well.
5 and 10 level increments are usually the MMO standard.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Oran of Urz on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
5 and 10 level increments are usually the MMO standard.
do other MMOs make you pay for spells twice? That seems to be a break from any standard i've ever heard of. We pay for spells in both mana AND pips. If we were to go with a standard, it would be Mana only, but then, I don't have the experience many people do in RPGs/MMOs these days.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
Hey let's hope it's 11 levels... 101! perfect lvl cap!

Explorer
Dec 16, 2012
dayerider on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
do other MMOs make you pay for spells twice? That seems to be a break from any standard i've ever heard of. We pay for spells in both mana AND pips. If we were to go with a standard, it would be Mana only, but then, I don't have the experience many people do in RPGs/MMOs these days.
If it was mana only, many would just spam their most powerful spells (Every turn Some do that already). Therefore, I tend to think of them as a "spell regulator" instead of a currency. Also, that is aside from the point that we are discussing.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
When the level cap was raised to 90, I was probably a grandmaster. I hit promethean a couple months ago after I finished pitch black lake (Pyramid of mother moon)! I decided to keep questing, since it would be easier, I got my spell two levels ago, and I really wanted to go through Xibalba. I know I gave up three levels of experience, but whatever. There are plenty more things you can do after you've finished though, more time for gardening (darn amber drop chances), pvp, helping friends, Aquila dungeon farming, lormaster etc.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
DominoDog222 on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
If it was mana only, many would just spam their most powerful spells (Every turn Some do that already). Therefore, I tend to think of them as a "spell regulator" instead of a currency. Also, that is aside from the point that we are discussing.
actually, that's part of the point we're discussing. You're saying that 10 is the standard in RPGs/MMORPGs and yet they break from that standard by charging us pips as part of the cost of spells. So in one half of your statement, you say they're following the standard, but in the other half you're saying they're not following the standard.

And that was exactly my point - it seems arbitrary the way some of the things they do are, and 10 seems arbitrary even if many have adopted the "10 levels per release"