Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making crafting more interesting...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
So we all know crafting can be a pain. It's hard to find all of the ingredients and just plain boring. What I suggest is a more interesting way to gather materials for crafting:

So lets say I want to craft the handsome fomori spell (which I do). Lets look at the current recipe: it calls for things like diamonds, sunstone, and amber. What? How do those reagents have anything to do with an ice giant? What if the recipe called for things like fomori axes, fomori fur, snow, and fir leaves? Things that are actually in the spell? These could be harvested from enemies and would make a lot more sense than collecting totally unrelated things. Lets see another example:

So there's this new gear that I want to craft. It gives a bunch of ice toughness and resistance to fire and storm with a whole bunch of health. This might be harder to implement but stay with me here. Maybe instead of whatever unrelated reagents are used to make it, more relevant reagents like storm and fire shields, ice themed wands, and some sort of healthy berries could be used. See what I'm getting at?

They already use this kind of crafting with the houses, which is good. But this kind of crafting would make crafting spells and the like much more interesting. What are your ideas to improve the crafting system?

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Two reasons why this isn't implemented

1) Reagents are included in a recipe based on a rarity and opportunity cost calculator not on relevance to the crafted item. Having a recipe full of flavorful but easily-auctioned items would defeat the purpose of changing the recipe.

2) A lot of recipes would use the same items over and over again, putting undue pressure on a few types of items. If all your gear required dozens of volcanic shield TC, you would spend most of your time gathering/crafting those. Meanwhile, some uncommon and rare reagents would find almost no use in any crafting recipe because they don't fit the flavor of any known item or spell.

Delver
Dec 18, 2009
crunkatog on Jul 23, 2013 wrote:
Two reasons why this isn't implemented

1) Reagents are included in a recipe based on a rarity and opportunity cost calculator not on relevance to the crafted item. Having a recipe full of flavorful but easily-auctioned items would defeat the purpose of changing the recipe.

2) A lot of recipes would use the same items over and over again, putting undue pressure on a few types of items. If all your gear required dozens of volcanic shield TC, you would spend most of your time gathering/crafting those. Meanwhile, some uncommon and rare reagents would find almost no use in any crafting recipe because they don't fit the flavor of any known item or spell.
I agree, but the idea in itself is pretty cool. It makes sense for houses and maybe pet snacks, but for TC and equipment, it wouldn't work