Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

School Choosing 2.5

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
As of right now I'm stuck in a situation. I honestly want to get 3 or 4 schools done and to be honest its hard for me to pick, as I have tested all and I'm not bad at any of them. I confirmed Fire, Myth, and Life ( I decided to put Myth back in since its not difficult to fix its disadvantage and the fact I gave it the Acropolis). Balance and Storm are always the ones I well despise in certain situations I don't think I could get the hang of. So that only leaves 2 of some most popular schools, Ice or Death?

Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
Darkness Guardian on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
As of right now I'm stuck in a situation. I honestly want to get 3 or 4 schools done and to be honest its hard for me to pick, as I have tested all and I'm not bad at any of them. I confirmed Fire, Myth, and Life ( I decided to put Myth back in since its not difficult to fix its disadvantage and the fact I gave it the Acropolis). Balance and Storm are always the ones I well despise in certain situations I don't think I could get the hang of. So that only leaves 2 of some most popular schools, Ice or Death?
The Ice school has the most health, making a good tank. the downside is really weak spells

The death school can steal life from opponents. The problem is, you only get half meaning if you want more you need traps and swords.

Both are good in pvp too.

Ryan SoulShard Magus , second , third

Survivor
Sep 29, 2012
Well, it really is up to you.

But a way I can help, is the way you choose. Let's start with Death

Death exells in making LOTS of traps, and it has high-powered blades like ice and life. Death is the 3rd weakest school, and it usually doesn't deal lots of damage unless you have lots of blades and traps. Death also takes health from their enemies, and gives the enemy's health to you. For example, Scarecrow is a good health taker, and there is also another death card, where there's Dr.Frankenstein, but sadly i forgot what it was called. Death has a medium amount of health, and it a good solo battle type. Death has pretty good death minions too, dealing mostly 100-400 damage, and their minions cast traps too.

Now let's talk about ICE

Ice excells in the amount of health it has, ALTHOUGH it is very weak. You may have noticed this, and Ice is generally good doing solo-battles. Ice is very weak, and it usually takes a long time to defeat your enemy, due to lack of offense. Ice is often used in PVP, and it usually has a lot of defense-type moves, like Ice Armor, and Tower Shield. Ice gives strong blades just as Death And Life, and it Gives 30% traps too. Sadly, there are a lot of ice bosses, and enemies, in Wintertusk, and Grizzleheim, Although i know many who have made it up the ladder of winning. Ice has pretty good minions, and from my experience they usually deal lots of damage, like the minion's moves are; Frost Shark, Frost Bats, Frost Snake. These are all related to storm as well, and the Frost Shark just happens to be stronger than the Ice Wyvern! But when you get your Ice colossus it's not that bad. Ice Minions sometimes, give you blades, and they ALMOST NEVER use pixie.

Well, thats all i have! i hope i helped at least :)

~Nora Night Master Thaumaturge

Survivor
Oct 03, 2010
I am in the same situation trying to decide between Balance and Ice. I chose I was going to do all schools except balance because I felt balance was just a summary of all the schools combined, so just do that. Or if you really enjoy balance then do the test Merle gives you at the beginning. Remember all schools have their strengths and weaknesses.

Michael Redfist Level 76 Wizard

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Unless you have a specific goal in mind, i.e. you need a particular pvp wizard and have the road mapped out for how you will develop him, I would just go with one that complements the strengths of the wizards you already have.

For instance, if your schedule is changing and you expect you'll be soloing more, either death or ice is a good choice. Death is more versatile but ice is, well, ice.

If your other wizards are good gardeners, AND you're looking to hatch frequently, you'll want a farming tool - someone who can level fast, chew through lots of enemies fast, is equally handy in Mirror Lake, Ravenscar, and Vestrilund. That would most probably be storm. You wouldn't need to do much else with him, and farming is a group activity so the fatal flaws in your storm will often be compensated by your farming companions.

If you're not interested in pvp or hatching or gardening or crafting, and just want to explore a different school and see the world through the eyes of that school, then let your play style and temperament help you decide.

My temperament is naturally risk-averse and I do not like luck-based games. So I choose schools with high accuracy and health, and low damage, and work to improve the damage. This is much easier for me than starting with a wizard that is mostly a coin flip, and trying to work against the random number generator. I would probably go with death here for three reasons.

1) Second highest starting accuracy in the game
2) Reasonable starting health
3) Reasonable damage, not counting the healing you get in return.

Oddly enough, balance would be my second choice, for many of the same reasons - good accuracy, good health, decent damage, and an early sweeper (Sandstorm). The big drawback would be vs. balance mobs, and this is where secondary school is super important. You want two things: Tower Shield and a non-balance sweeper. The first is easy, the second will cost some serious train points.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2013
Death of course! This may just be because I am extremely impatient, and ice gives low power spells, but you get a lot of health (storm does the most damage). This is because icebergs are slow and steady. Death is amazing, it takes health from your enemy and gives you part of it! I highly suggest the death school from you options, of course my favorite is storm . School loyalty
Megan Stormshard

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Ice-tank class, defensive. Not as offensive as fire/storm. High health, decent accuracy, good resist.
Death-Drain spells. Attack and get health back. Good accuracy, decent health. Can be offensive.
Which one sounds better to you?

Survivor
Jun 09, 2012
do ice it gives you protection and allot of attacks
wolf sole runner,,, lvl 39

Explorer
Apr 14, 2013
One word: Death.

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
Everyone the post is over; My friends helped me decided and I did a little bit more testing and so Death is confirmed. I know Ice has the survival rate and resist to easily build up an overkill but I prefer death since I get the healing without having to go and cast satyr all the time.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
Darkness Guardian on Jul 24, 2013 wrote:
Everyone the post is over; My friends helped me decided and I did a little bit more testing and so Death is confirmed. I know Ice has the survival rate and resist to easily build up an overkill but I prefer death since I get the healing without having to go and cast satyr all the time.
Glad you've joined us.

Explorer
Mar 23, 2013
Elite aspect on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
Well, it really is up to you.

But a way I can help, is the way you choose. Let's start with Death

Death exells in making LOTS of traps, and it has high-powered blades like ice and life. Death is the 3rd weakest school, and it usually doesn't deal lots of damage unless you have lots of blades and traps. Death also takes health from their enemies, and gives the enemy's health to you. For example, Scarecrow is a good health taker, and there is also another death card, where there's Dr.Frankenstein, but sadly i forgot what it was called. Death has a medium amount of health, and it a good solo battle type. Death has pretty good death minions too, dealing mostly 100-400 damage, and their minions cast traps too.

Now let's talk about ICE

Ice excells in the amount of health it has, ALTHOUGH it is very weak. You may have noticed this, and Ice is generally good doing solo-battles. Ice is very weak, and it usually takes a long time to defeat your enemy, due to lack of offense. Ice is often used in PVP, and it usually has a lot of defense-type moves, like Ice Armor, and Tower Shield. Ice gives strong blades just as Death And Life, and it Gives 30% traps too. Sadly, there are a lot of ice bosses, and enemies, in Wintertusk, and Grizzleheim, Although i know many who have made it up the ladder of winning. Ice has pretty good minions, and from my experience they usually deal lots of damage, like the minion's moves are; Frost Shark, Frost Bats, Frost Snake. These are all related to storm as well, and the Frost Shark just happens to be stronger than the Ice Wyvern! But when you get your Ice colossus it's not that bad. Ice Minions sometimes, give you blades, and they ALMOST NEVER use pixie.

Well, thats all i have! i hope i helped at least :)

~Nora Night Master Thaumaturge
Dr Von's Monster