Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why do Wizards hate Pirates?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 10, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
sorry but pirates are pirates just because their the lesser of 2 evils doesn't change that they're evil i prefer a game where there are some good guys in there
Obviously you have not played the game or have not played to any extent to understand the storyline. These pirates have character. They are considered Virtuous Pirates. Many a thieving, bad guy pirate is won over to the good side and has admitted that they like being a good guy now, just from following the lead of the good captains over in the Pirates side of the spiral. Please take a bit of time and play it through and you will see that these pirates are NOT bad guys, they help people out again and again and the only ones they pillage from are the true bad guys, the Armada and their allies because they hurt and abuse the creatures of the spiral. Consider them Piratey Robin Hoods with Ships that rob from the bad guys to help out the good ones. I love playing Wizard and have from year one but I also am VERY proud to call myself a KingsIsle Pirate. A good gal.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
Obviously you have not played the game or have not played to any extent to understand the storyline. These pirates have character. They are considered Virtuous Pirates. Many a thieving, bad guy pirate is won over to the good side and has admitted that they like being a good guy now, just from following the lead of the good captains over in the Pirates side of the spiral. Please take a bit of time and play it through and you will see that these pirates are NOT bad guys, they help people out again and again and the only ones they pillage from are the true bad guys, the Armada and their allies because they hurt and abuse the creatures of the spiral. Consider them Piratey Robin Hoods with Ships that rob from the bad guys to help out the good ones. I love playing Wizard and have from year one but I also am VERY proud to call myself a KingsIsle Pirate. A good gal.
what kind of message is that sending to kids? stealing stuff makes you good guy! go take his stuff it will make him happy! pirates aren't and should not be viewed as anything other then thieves with boats

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 11, 2013 wrote:
what kind of message is that sending to kids? stealing stuff makes you good guy! go take his stuff it will make him happy! pirates aren't and should not be viewed as anything other then thieves with boats
Like I said, you need to read the storyline to understand. These are good guys, trust me. You are judging way too harshly. Besides Wizards do the same thing. What do you think your collection quests are? You are beating up on mobs to take things from them to help out other characters. It is the exact same thing just in a different setting. You are a pot calling the kettle black.
In either game the players are the heros, the good guys. Just calm down and be honest with yourself and take the time to play the game and understand the plot before you harshly judge without knowing the facts. We are all good guys and can be friends. * Extends hand of friendship *

Historian
May 06, 2009
critical blizzard on Dec 11, 2013 wrote:
The game is not teaching kids to be cutthroats and theives. The game does start off as making some mistakes and stereotypical Pirating, but the story is moving in a way to redeem yourself from your crimes; starting from a troubled past to a brighter future. Talk to the writers of the game! They'll tell you so. KI is not making a game that influences kids to start being bad. The PC still remains good and acts more realistic than the Wizard. They'll make a bad choice here and there, but they will correct it in time. And unlike Wizards, they're not like all-good-only-do-good statues going by the book. Pirates, in KI's game, will do some bad and some good. Is that not what Humans do as well in real life?

There is no doubt that you are going to see the typical badness of Pirates (theiving and betraying), but what are you going to do? A Pirate is a Pirate. But the playing character that the story focuses on is different. They do fight for the good side. And they will do whatever it takes to do good. And if they mess up, they will take the strives to correct it. Here's a tidbit: The PC ended up starting a war between Marleybone and Valencia and Marleybone was loosing. But did they go fly off and leave Marleybone to be destroyed? NO. They fought against the Armada and have saved Marleybone. Now what do you call that?

But honestly, from what I'm seeing, you won't ever understand or like Pirate101 and the things it offers. And that's just fine. Don't even bother trying to look their way, it will save you the distress. I am not going to waste my time anymore to try and educate you on what the game is about. Pirates are not the noble all good knight like Wizards, but they are also not villianis and evil like Malistaire, Morganthe, or Kane (the Armada). They will be what a Pirate is, a thief and a cutthroat, but they will fight against the bad guy and bring justice. It's not in the Wizard's harden textbooks, but not everything in the Spiral is. Families and kids do play and enjoy Pirate101. They are not being transformed into miscreants of crime. It offers the same good intentions as Wizard101 does for it's players. Whether or not you will ever take the time to see, learn, understand, and accept that is your own choice. But I'll leave you to your adamance about the game.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
Well as far as child friendliness goes wizard101 is a much more dark game Infact my mother isn't exactly happy about me playing the game but doesn't mind it and let's me play because I get very good grades and it makes me happy they've even added "shadow magic".

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
Balance princess on Dec 13, 2013 wrote:
Well as far as child friendliness goes wizard101 is a much more dark game Infact my mother isn't exactly happy about me playing the game but doesn't mind it and let's me play because I get very good grades and it makes me happy they've even added "shadow magic".
Actually, I think Pirate101 is a much darker game. Like Finnegan said, there is one part where you start a war. And the majority of Pirates101's MooShu is in shambles. I don't think is Shadow magic isn't really that dark at all. Also, the controls are a lot more complicated in Pirate101, so it is definitively for older players. By comparison, of course, both of the games are very light.

Haley MoonHeart, Innate Shadowmancer

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
RavenLady777 on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
I do not like the way the game play, and specifically battles, is set up. I do not like the storyline. I could go on...I won't.
I played it in beta and gave it a chance in the live game, uninstalled it and have not gone back.

Yes they have different teams, supposedly. But since Pirates went live Wizard has suffered. Example: Our 'support' is pretty much non-existent. (quoting 'support': "ooo, looks like you need to uninstall the game and reinstall it." For a programming error, that after maintenance fixed itself. yeah.)
I've been experiencing this problem myself with downloading the game. After downloading, it says to install it again. And it goes on and on and on. Kingsisle needs to fix this problem, or else it won't get many players.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
I didn't hate it per se. I just didn't like it enough to go much further than a one month membership. Just didn't float my boat.

Survivor
Nov 17, 2011
Sometimes I like one game, sometimes I like the other. It just kinda drifts between Wizard101 and Pirate101. Mostly Wizard101. Actually, mostly neither. Games are games, preferences are preferences. Some people like P101, some people like W101. A lot of these posts have the same basic meaning to me: I like (Insert P101 or W101 here). Not trying to say I don't appreciate your input, these are exactly the type of posts I like to read. But still... Anyway, I personally preferred the graphics of Wizard101 to P101. The battles in Pirate101 seemed a lot easier, not sure why. I like the ships in P101, but the houses seemed a bit overpriced. I find it hard to make money in Pirate, but then again I haven't gotten that far. Maybe I'm just not used to getting low amounts of money. I feel like I'm going to get farther in W101 than in P101. It just appeals more to me. We'll just have to see how far the games themselves get.
I randomly threw this junk together at 12:30 a.m. because I was bored. Don't judge :/
Anyway, time to go find another thread to read.

Survivor
Mar 19, 2011
I like both games but I do prefer wizard over pirate. I feel that they are both amazing games and I play them both and switch from time to time. The reason I like wizard better though is because it just has a sense of nostalgia from me playing with my friends back in 2009 that pirate just doesn't give to me.

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
critical blizzard on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
sorry but pirates are pirates just because their the lesser of 2 evils doesn't change that they're evil i prefer a game where there are some good guys in there
There are pirates (and others) that aren't evil... Even though I have only played for a bit, I do know that your character starts out as arrested by the armada, and Boochbeard and Gandry rescues you. Those two are good guys. :)

~ Vanessa