Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 6-14-13

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Heya Wizards! It's been a busy week, so though it feels like it was almost just last Friday, here it is again! And that's good, because it's time for another week's Feedback Friday!

This week will be part 5 of 7 asking about specific school spells. This week, it's balance. I promise we'll get to everyone eventually, so if you don't have a balance wizard (or an opinion on the specific spell), please be patient and we'll circle around!

Balance Wizards: Discuss whether or not Balance’s blades, shields, wards and traps should critical for 2x

Have a wonderful weekend all!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Squire
Mar 07, 2011
How does a shield or ward get a critical? Why would balance school be singled out for not getting the 2x bonus for critical? Is this a general question on whether or not critical should even be in the game? Either critical is 2x for everyone or it isn't. This is a very poorly thought out question.

If I were in charge, I would eliminate critical from PvP altogether (keep it for PvE). It adds a luck element that is not enjoyable unless you happen to be a storm with 368 critical. Then again, most of the recent "improvements" to PvP have been anything but.

Explorer
Dec 20, 2012
Professor Falmea on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
Heya Wizards! It's been a busy week, so though it feels like it was almost just last Friday, here it is again! And that's good, because it's time for another week's Feedback Friday!

This week will be part 5 of 7 asking about specific school spells. This week, it's balance. I promise we'll get to everyone eventually, so if you don't have a balance wizard (or an opinion on the specific spell), please be patient and we'll circle around!

Balance Wizards: Discuss whether or not Balance’s blades, shields, wards and traps should critical for 2x

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
Finally! Balance! I think so, because it would be uber-useful (why did i say that ) when you get to worlds like AV and AZ.

Valerian Hammer

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
Does anyone have any idea what Falmea is talking about? Because she's not being very clear on what she wants to know.

I'll take a wild guess, I would like the recent changes to reshuffle to only apply to PVP and can be used multiple times when battling monsters.

What? I got that the question was about a balance spell.

Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
i'm a balance so i think tc shouldnt because well i'm loaded with critical not that i don't enjoy a chance to be op but, shields shouldnt count only blades but only on your self since we balance have weaker blades i think this could make it more fair.

Defender
May 29, 2009
I don't think this is a good idea unless you made it only balances blades, traps, shields, and wards then i guess it would make a balance a pretty good school, and also to have an advantage, but would this be available only for balance spells, or only for people from the balance school. I think it should be all spells but only for sorcerers.

So I have seen all you wizards putting quotes under your name. Here's mine

Anthony Ashcatcher lv76
"Don't fight fire with fire, without a prism"

Delver
Oct 30, 2011
Many would disagree on the shields so.Traps and blades allow it for all schools.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Nope, unless you could only crit blades and shields applied to yourself and not to your puppeting lvl 90 storm friend.

Crit is a bad idea for the game in general and a horrible one in pvp.

I would like to see balance get a better mass trap, it's frustrating trying to blade and then ra going second without someone enfeebling you or quaking in your face the turn you go off.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Yes Yes Yes Yes they totally should!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't have many blades and we need some better boosts

Angie

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
I'm finding the question rather confusing.

Regarding shields, I'm not quite sure how a shield would critical, and there is no balance shield (but since you brought it up, it would be nice to have one); all we have are the elemental and spirit tri-shields. If you mean their blocking power would double, that would be very nice, but why limit it to just balance? If shields can critical, they should do it for everyone.

As for blades/traps criticaling at 2x, do you mean an extra 2x for the blade or trap, over and above the base 2x critical for the buffed spell? Or are you asking whether the 2x critical boost should be calculated on the base spell damage, without factoring in the blade/trap boost?

Since I don't really understand what you're asking, all I can say is that I think balance blades/traps should behave the same as other school blades/traps when it comes to criticals. Singling us out for either more or less would be unfair.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2011

I agree 100%! Balance wizards get the weak blades and traps, so we'd really need that! After all, in Krokotopia, it says balance is the strongest and classes like storm are way ahead of us.

Blake FireGem

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

finally, something useful for balance.

since we can't break shields, and the other schools all have more and better buffs available than we do, this would even the playing field, so to speak. as long as it benefited us exclusively (because everything else is universal), i see no problems with this.

exceptions

-don't apply it to spirit/elemental blades and traps, because then everyone will have it;
-don't apply it to shields, either; then, everyone else will complain (and, if the other schools get it, ice will be even more overpowered than they already are).

-v.
promethean and

Explorer
May 17, 2010
Yes there is some confusion about the question. My understanding is simply if blades, shields, traps, etc.. should be allowed to critical. First, and my confusion on the question, is if that would only happen for balance school wizards or only for balance school spells or for all spells (and wizards). And I think it would not be fair to allow that for only balance (school or spells). Either all blades, traps, etc.. can critical or none. Next if they can critical that should mean that multi-action spells (e.g. rebirth) that critical will finally have both parts critical .
But as for the basic concept of critical on these spells brings up other concerns. On blades and traps, I see no problem just doubling the value (i.e. a 30% blade becomes a 60% blade). But on the shields and wards, this is a problem. A simple tower shield doubled would be 100% shield! Not to mention one of those 90% weakness wards becoming -180%! Maybe the way to solve that problem would be that shields and wards that critical add an additional 'treasure like' version of the same shield or ward. Then a tower shield that goes critical would be 50% & 50% which would in essence act like a 75% shield. (the 90% & 90% would be 99%). The last question is how a critical blade, shield, etc would act compared to the same one that did not critical. If they stack that would be crazy strong (both ways), but going off the shield idea I mention above than they don't stack since the critical spell itself produces both one is normal and the second is 'treasure-like' version and self-stack but not stack on another non-critical but same spell. So to prevent blades and traps from further stacking, maybe this same duplicity could be used on them also.
Finally, what about block??? No block on blades and shields? But yes block on traps and wards?

Personally I don't like any critical, it adds too much chance and randomness.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
prairiefalcon on Jun 16, 2013 wrote:
I'm finding the question rather confusing.

Regarding shields, I'm not quite sure how a shield would critical, and there is no balance shield (but since you brought it up, it would be nice to have one); all we have are the elemental and spirit tri-shields. If you mean their blocking power would double, that would be very nice, but why limit it to just balance? If shields can critical, they should do it for everyone.

As for blades/traps criticaling at 2x, do you mean an extra 2x for the blade or trap, over and above the base 2x critical for the buffed spell? Or are you asking whether the 2x critical boost should be calculated on the base spell damage, without factoring in the blade/trap boost?

Since I don't really understand what you're asking, all I can say is that I think balance blades/traps should behave the same as other school blades/traps when it comes to criticals. Singling us out for either more or less would be unfair.
Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't understand this question.

Defender
Feb 26, 2012
This is a great idea in my opinion since balance doesn't have the most powerful attacks and criticaling doesn't happen every turn I would say its fair and for shields to double when we critical block, its a good idea.

John Dragoncatcher 83

Administrator
Hiya Wizards! Sorry for the confusing question - originally I meant to ask if you should get two instances of the effect applied on you instead of one, but everyone brought up some very interesting points. We'll definitely discuss with the designer Wizards and keep in mind your feedback for any future actions.

New Feedback Friday shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea