Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 6-7-13

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi folks! Another week into my favorite time of year... it's getting close to summer and I love it! Hope everyone is as happy as I am to see lots of sun and feel the warmth! It's also getting close to the end of Friday, and that means Feedback Friday time!

This week will be part 4 of 7 asking about specific school spells. This week, it's storm. I promise we'll get to everyone eventually, so if you don't have an storm wizard (or an opinion on the specific spell), please be patient and we'll circle around!

Storm Wizards: How would you make Wild Bolt's animation look more exciting?

Take care everyone, and have a fantastic Friday! ::grin::

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
A small pond with a dead tree on its shore appears accompanied by the sound of howling wind. The water in the pond starts spinning until it forms a sort of inverted whirlpool, a tornado of water if you will. A storm cloud grows into existence on top of it, and the whirlpool dissipates into water droplets that fall back to the ground. The dead tree is hit by lightning, and falls over into the pond. Blades traps and shields are activated, and the cloud floats over the target's head, to strike them with a lightning bolt that changes in scale depending on the damage dealt. The 10 damage one would be quick, and look more like a single pulse from a white laser being fired straight down. The 100 damage one would be moderately large, and be hard to tell if it was one bolt, or two in quick succession. The 1000 damage one would be an impressively thick bolt that lasts a good two and a half seconds.

In case you also plan to apply this to insane bolt, add rain to the cloud, and some tiny flashes of lightning that only extend about a foot or so below the cloud. use the 100 damage animation if it hits the target, and the 1000 damage animation if it hits the caster, with the cloud itself turning white in addition to the strike.

You don't need to use every detail I included if you don't have the time or budget for it. Have the cloud not move around at all for all I care.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
It would be nice if the animation was scaled to the amount of damage dealt.

Single digits bolt: a thin wire of lightning flashing briefly on the player

100 bolt: the current animation

1000 bolt: A fat cord of lightning that lifts the player's body clear out of the circle and leaves a scorch mark on their clothes and face

I also think Insane Bolt should have an epic animation for when someone bolts himself to death. Maybe even a line of text (like the line of text that appears when a boss is about to cheat) that says "WHAT'S THAT BURNING SMELL?" and then the bolt hits the player and the sad trombone sound track plays.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2010
Add a camera facing up towards a storm cloud with thunder snakes raining out of it, then use blades, then do the already now wild bolt animation, but with thunder snake sprites coming out of it.

This would look really awesome. But I have the most intriguing question.

Insane bolt is also a storm school spell, but it does moon damage, not storm. Was this intentional so that the player couldn't resist the insane bolt when it backfired? Because I have resisted all schools, including astral, so idk why I do.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
A storm cloud flickering with electricity gathers.

10 damage: a single bolt of yellow light quickly hits the target.

100: a single bolt of purple light hits the target, staying for slightly longer

1000: three purple bolts hit the target, and you can see electricity running along their body

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
I think it should start with dark clouds in the air and a few strikes of lighting coming down the battle circle fast, then a thunderbolt strikes the enemy. It would add a better twist to the spell.

Survivor
May 15, 2009
average moe on Jun 8, 2013 wrote:
A small pond with a dead tree on its shore appears accompanied by the sound of howling wind. The water in the pond starts spinning until it forms a sort of inverted whirlpool, a tornado of water if you will. A storm cloud grows into existence on top of it, and the whirlpool dissipates into water droplets that fall back to the ground. The dead tree is hit by lightning, and falls over into the pond. Blades traps and shields are activated, and the cloud floats over the target's head, to strike them with a lightning bolt that changes in scale depending on the damage dealt. The 10 damage one would be quick, and look more like a single pulse from a white laser being fired straight down. The 100 damage one would be moderately large, and be hard to tell if it was one bolt, or two in quick succession. The 1000 damage one would be an impressively thick bolt that lasts a good two and a half seconds.

In case you also plan to apply this to insane bolt, add rain to the cloud, and some tiny flashes of lightning that only extend about a foot or so below the cloud. use the 100 damage animation if it hits the target, and the 1000 damage animation if it hits the caster, with the cloud itself turning white in addition to the strike.

You don't need to use every detail I included if you don't have the time or budget for it. Have the cloud not move around at all for all I care.
That was beautiful

Really good idea!!!! Me likey

Peace,

Natalie IceRiver

Administrator
I love the idea of scaling it with the amount of damage it does! That's a neat idea! All of these ideas are quite wonderful, actually. You Wizards are very creative!

New Feedback Friday coming up shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea