Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Blades or Traps?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 23, 2009
Which one best suits your strategy? Tell me why in a reply!

Personally, I prefer blades because they work good for over time spells.

Sincerely,
Hunter SpiritGem
~ "The Spiral is not in my hands, but ours. Teamwork is the key to success!"
-Hunter SpiritGem

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Each has its time to shine strategically. As a general rule I also prefer blades since your allies can't accidentally wand-hit into them. Stackable Feint is a different story, I rarely buy dragonblade tc but always try to keep about 8-10 Feint tc in stock.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I tend to blade up more then trap. As I have progressed I have found several blades that can be stacked and unless it's Feint most other traps are not as high as just using a few blades.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Depends on situation, wizard type and enemy. The true power of traps & blades occour when stacked, because the calculations are compounding. Also more efficient use of pips. I usually use combinations of blades, traps and feints.

My typical strategy is to try to defeat at least one enemy every time I attack, even when using multi-hit spells. So I often blade and place a feint on one enemy to ensure something gets defeated.

Blades
- great for multi-hit spells.
- team mates can't waste your blade (its yours).
- Myth enemies in higher worlds often remove your blades using Earthquake. Grrr.

Traps & Feints
- single enemy item.
- more types are available for stacking.
- stacking with feints leads to massive damage.
- frustrating if team members waste them.
- traps & feints are almost useless if a DOT was applied to enemy. Stacking becomes impossible.
- stacking feints you must be careful about stacking the 30% traps that get applied to yourself.
- if an enemy applies a 50% shield you can keep stacking and blast right through.

Death School Wizard
It doesn't matter how much damage you recieve while setting up (stacking) traps, feints & blades. When you attack you can easily get all your health back. My strategy was to keep stacking untill:
(a) I am ready to defeat at least one enemy.
(b) I have just enough health to withstand a typical attack. Then hit as hard as possible.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
Explorer
Jul 13, 2012
I prefer blades since I will use over time spells and attack all enemy spells with my death wizard.

Explorer
May 14, 2009
I perfer blades, however I don't stack them when fighting a storm or myth. I like blades because they aid in over time spells, while traps can't.

Defender
Jan 22, 2012
Blades are my thing - because Fire has so many AoE and DoT spells, I find traps a little hopeless.

Sierra Ashblood, Legendary

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Then there's a case for traps vs. quake-spammers in pvp or in Avalon. You're basically never going to get to use your blade trying to collect your spellwrit fomori quota, ever. It is a great time for multi-trappers like Windstorm and Fuel and Elemental traps. But yeah, I feel your pain if you're trying to AoE into an opposing team of quake spammers or enfeeblers. (Haven't seen almost any spamming of that, thanks to it not being available as a tc.)

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I tend to use Blades because with ONE spell you effect every outbound attack of that one spell you cast. traps have a use for situations where blades get removed by cheats or mass spell spamming of earthquake etc. Blades also give you more of a boost than traps do.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2011
Blades are better than traps, they give more damage and other people can't waste it.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2011
defiantly blades. im from ice school and ice blade gives 40% more damage. and the ice trap gives only 30%. but then again I got ice trap at level 7 or 8 and ice blade at level 38. but i love the blade a lot more. and hey hunter ur last name is almost the same as mine. my last name is spritegem.
-Kayla spritegemlevel 57

Defender
May 29, 2009
Blades, they usually give more damage, they affect all enemies on all enemy spells. They benefit more than most traps (except the 200% one from the jabberwock)

Anthony Ashcatcher lv76
"Don't fight fire with fire, unless you have a prism"

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
I have thought about this many times before.....and have concluded that they are equally best for me

To show you, I will make a pros and cons list about each:

Blades:
Pros: Works on all enemy spells, you can blade up and attack any monster you desire
Cons: Can get taken away by a spell, once you have one on you can't attack

Traps:
Pros: You can focus on one monster while doing wand attacks on the other, Cannot be taken away no matter what
Cons: Doesn't work on all enemies, another person could take your trap away

Blades and traps work equally, for a balance wizard

See you in the spiral! -Angie

Survivor
Jun 20, 2012
Blades are way better. This is because anyone can use your traps.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2012
I use both I use 2 different traps, 2different blades, darkwind, and an accuracy booster for storm alone and have like 2 attack. point is it depends on you school for me I'm and I just stack a TON of blades and traps use darkwind then use lightning strike and I can get over 30,000 damage I don't use DoT spells so I use both.

dragonsteel50 lvl 37 "Master your deck and you master your game"

Survivor
Jul 26, 2012
dragonsteel50 on Jun 16, 2013 wrote:
I use both I use 2 different traps, 2different blades, darkwind, and an accuracy booster for storm alone and have like 2 attack. point is it depends on you school for me I'm and I just stack a TON of blades and traps use darkwind then use lightning strike and I can get over 30,000 damage I don't use DoT spells so I use both.

dragonsteel50 lvl 37 "Master your deck and you master your game"
also a good idea to befriend a lot of balance people because they will give you a big boost ive battled with 2 balance and i got a kraken to 9573 damage