Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What have you learned in Wizard101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
Hi. My wizard is Eric Skywraith (level 37 Storm Wizard), but in real life I raise three children with my wife, and in my free time I am a graduate student studying how and what people learn in and from video games.

In the year or so that I have been playing, I have learned that:
--most players are very helpful and friendly
--my eight year old is a very good teacher when it comes to this game
--figuring things out is fun

Do any of you wish to volunteer what you have learned from the game, and how you learned it?

Thanks.

gillisr (Eric Skywraith)

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
I have learned that people might find somehting hard at first, but then they will be persistent and overcome it..

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
From this game, I have learned a lot on how others work and how to work with them. I have viewed the different roles that individuals take when it comes to a battle, which defines personality in a sense. I have watched people be forced into a role, and others doing their own thing. I can actually relate some of it to the actual world around us. Somewhat amazing how similar a game can be to real life.
~Shannon Skybreaker

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
gillisr on Mar 5, 2013 wrote:
Hi. My wizard is Eric Skywraith (level 37 Storm Wizard), but in real life I raise three children with my wife, and in my free time I am a graduate student studying how and what people learn in and from video games.

In the year or so that I have been playing, I have learned that:
--most players are very helpful and friendly
--my eight year old is a very good teacher when it comes to this game
--figuring things out is fun

Do any of you wish to volunteer what you have learned from the game, and how you learned it?

Thanks.

gillisr (Eric Skywraith)
Hi again. I saw this post on one of the fansites at wizard101central.com asking the same question:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?346857-What-has-wizard101-taught-you

I'm not sure if this was "your" post or not. Thought you might be interested...

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here are some of my observations:

1) Anybody can play as a male or female wizard. Obviously a female wizard is not necesarily a girl gamer. Lots of people choose opposite sex avatars. BUT... as a vast generalization there is a better chance that a female wizard will be more helpful, cooperative, and play nicely. A wizard that is troublesome is usually a male wizard. Interesting?

2) I find it much easier to hatch my pets with strangers using my friendly looking ice wizard (female, level 15, wears white & blue) vs my death wizard (female, level 85, wears black). Same pet, doesn't matter. Dress for success?

3) My wizard gets plenty of gifting requests when I wear fancy non-crown outfits from the bazaar. If I wear crumby outfits absolutely nobody asks for gifts. First impressions do make a difference!

Explorer
Feb 27, 2011
well one time I teleported to Drangspyre from a friend at a low level and found out I had to fight people with 1000 health and their not even bosses! And now I finished Dragonspyre with no problem!

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
AluraMist2 on Mar 6, 2013 wrote:
Hi again. I saw this post on one of the fansites at wizard101central.com asking the same question:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?346857-What-has-wizard101-taught-you

I'm not sure if this was "your" post or not. Thought you might be interested...
Thanks! I will check out that link. And, no, it wasn't me. I am new to this forum business. (Well, back in the day of phone modems and text bulletin boards, I knew my way around one or two boards...Atari 520 and 1040, anybody?. Now, not so much)

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
RottenHeart on Mar 6, 2013 wrote:
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here are some of my observations:

1) Anybody can play as a male or female wizard. Obviously a female wizard is not necesarily a girl gamer. Lots of people choose opposite sex avatars. BUT... as a vast generalization there is a better chance that a female wizard will be more helpful, cooperative, and play nicely. A wizard that is troublesome is usually a male wizard. Interesting?

2) I find it much easier to hatch my pets with strangers using my friendly looking ice wizard (female, level 15, wears white & blue) vs my death wizard (female, level 85, wears black). Same pet, doesn't matter. Dress for success?

3) My wizard gets plenty of gifting requests when I wear fancy non-crown outfits from the bazaar. If I wear crumby outfits absolutely nobody asks for gifts. First impressions do make a difference!
These are really some interesting points about perception. Since I picked up my grandson's account and therefore his male wizards, I noticed some interesting things like that too.

On the male wizards, other players both male and female, seem to expect a lot more from him. He gets comments like "is that all you have?" when he casts a lower damage spell (he is Level 64).

On the female wizards that I created on his account, other players tned to be more protective of them. They jump in right away in duels (which I strongly encourage whenever I am playing), and they are usually amazed or almost in awe when the girls cast a strong spell. They get comments like "nice shot", "nice spell", etc.

And sometimes the male wizards are much more aware of clothing and items. One time two male wizards joined my female in a duel, and one of them commented to the other ... "hey, isn't she wearing the same robe as you, but her's is white?". And the other didn't comment, just frowned. I thought that was funny.

There are a lot of good comments here in feedback. Hope you get lots more.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2011

I'm an elderly woman, and I've been playing for about a year and a half. I play solo and only have random contact to other players, mainly because I'm not a native English speaker.
I started out with several male characters, but at some point I made a girl wizard. I was so surprised of the difference in how others reacted to her.
She got a lot of compliments for her looks, and she couldn't walk out the door without someone coming up to chat and ask for friendship. Many young boys wanted her to be their girl, which was something I found very hard to handle. I didn't like her overly feminine look, and I always chose clothes that wasn't too tight, to make her look less sexy. When she was level 36, she couldn't take it any more, and left school to go back to earth.
Now I have six male wizards, and they are all thriving.
Others treat them with respect because of their skills and demeanor, and no one seems to care how they look.

Explorer
Nov 15, 2008
I learned that if you go into battle unprepared, you get squished like a grape.
Now keep this motto in your heart.

Ashley Level 77 Fire

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
Shannon Skybreaker on Mar 6, 2013 wrote:
From this game, I have learned a lot on how others work and how to work with them. I have viewed the different roles that individuals take when it comes to a battle, which defines personality in a sense. I have watched people be forced into a role, and others doing their own thing. I can actually relate some of it to the actual world around us. Somewhat amazing how similar a game can be to real life.
~Shannon Skybreaker
Interesting! How do people get forced into roles? I usually only battle with my son as an ally, so he is the "go for broke" one and I try to have a little strategy. It turns out, though, that he knows more about the enemies and his own spells, so there is strategy in his "go for broke" style.

Rob

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012

I never thought about the different gender roles. That is really interesting.

Now, to reveal the levels of my ignorance, what are gift requests? I know I can swap things with other players, but no one has ever asked me to give them a gift.

gillisr

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
AluraMist2 on Mar 7, 2013 wrote:
These are really some interesting points about perception. Since I picked up my grandson's account and therefore his male wizards, I noticed some interesting things like that too.

On the male wizards, other players both male and female, seem to expect a lot more from him. He gets comments like "is that all you have?" when he casts a lower damage spell (he is Level 64).

On the female wizards that I created on his account, other players tned to be more protective of them. They jump in right away in duels (which I strongly encourage whenever I am playing), and they are usually amazed or almost in awe when the girls cast a strong spell. They get comments like "nice shot", "nice spell", etc.

And sometimes the male wizards are much more aware of clothing and items. One time two male wizards joined my female in a duel, and one of them commented to the other ... "hey, isn't she wearing the same robe as you, but her's is white?". And the other didn't comment, just frowned. I thought that was funny.

There are a lot of good comments here in feedback. Hope you get lots more.
I guess I do too much individual questing (may be a function of when I get a chance to play). I need to start paying more attention to the gender of the wizards around me. I didn't realize that being male or female made such a big difference (in the game ).

gillisr

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
Danish Wiz on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
I'm an elderly woman, and I've been playing for about a year and a half. I play solo and only have random contact to other players, mainly because I'm not a native English speaker.
I started out with several male characters, but at some point I made a girl wizard. I was so surprised of the difference in how others reacted to her.
She got a lot of compliments for her looks, and she couldn't walk out the door without someone coming up to chat and ask for friendship. Many young boys wanted her to be their girl, which was something I found very hard to handle. I didn't like her overly feminine look, and I always chose clothes that wasn't too tight, to make her look less sexy. When she was level 36, she couldn't take it any more, and left school to go back to earth.
Now I have six male wizards, and they are all thriving.
Others treat them with respect because of their skills and demeanor, and no one seems to care how they look.
Wow. I will have to create a female wizard to see what happens. Do you think you can tell if a female wizard is being played by a male or a female real world person?

Also, I was very surprised by the appearance of the Headmistress in Wisteria. Her dress reminded me of Shirley Jones playing Marian the Librarian in the movie, "The Music Man", but her, umm, "assets" surprised me.

gillisr

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
AshesAshes100 on Mar 9, 2013 wrote:
I learned that if you go into battle unprepared, you get squished like a grape.
Now keep this motto in your heart.

Ashley Level 77 Fire
Unless my son is helping me, I get Squished, a lot.

gillisr

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I learned that if you free gold, clothes, food, and gems, go beat people up. Now if you excuse me, I have a fight to pick.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
To keep things short, I have learned to shoot for the impossible. It doesn't matter what you or others think you can or can't do. Go for it.

Explorer
Jan 29, 2013
Well one thing I have learned especially from the dungeons is to have patience. I also like seeing how other players relate to eachother and help out. I have learned though that not everyone is helpful and met a few that were downright mean. I have also learned that you can't be too old to have fun with this game. And it is interesting how gender plays a role in the game.

lvl 49 life

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
ExtremePianoWizard on Mar 11, 2013 wrote:
To keep things short, I have learned to shoot for the impossible. It doesn't matter what you or others think you can or can't do. Go for it.
Great attitude! How did you develop it? Does this carry over into "real Life"?

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
LesRoo. on Mar 11, 2013 wrote:
Well one thing I have learned especially from the dungeons is to have patience. I also like seeing how other players relate to eachother and help out. I have learned though that not everyone is helpful and met a few that were downright mean. I have also learned that you can't be too old to have fun with this game. And it is interesting how gender plays a role in the game.

lvl 49 life
I have not run into any mean wizards. Are they in a particular world, or all over?

Explorer
Jan 29, 2013
gillisr on Mar 12, 2013 wrote:
I have not run into any mean wizards. Are they in a particular world, or all over?
It was only two people that were mean and I met them both at the commens in WC. Everyone else I have met has been super friendly and helpful. I was just surprised by those two individuals comments.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
LesRoo. on Mar 14, 2013 wrote:
It was only two people that were mean and I met them both at the commens in WC. Everyone else I have met has been super friendly and helpful. I was just surprised by those two individuals comments.
Thanks. My children play this game, so I am trying to find a balance between being laissez faire and over protective. They are old enough that talking about inappropriate behavior when it happens is probably more effective than trying to completely screen it from them.

Explorer
Dec 01, 2012
I have learned:
  • That the best way to get health and mana is to spend a good time looking at stuff in the bazaar.
  • When you really need a spell, it fizzles.
  • You don't really need clothing that gives you energy, because your base is enough.
  • People over react about how much mana they need.
  • Some enemies, (Like the ones in Kengiston Park) are too hard for the area that they are in.
  • People are very friendly, except if you get on their nerves.
  • Some enemies are too easy for the places they are in.

Brandon SoulTheif

Currently Level 45

Explorer
Jul 13, 2012
I've learned:

that there is a WIDE range of gamers playing and that it's possible to have fun playing with any of them.
that there is a WIDE range of gamers playing and that it's possible to hate playing with any of them.

that there are a lot of "elitists" out there that can be very mean spirited towards others.

that some of the kids playing are very bright and articulate.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
What have I learned in wizard101?

1. People that live in magical worlds live extremely shallow lives and are incapable of doing some of the most basic tasks for themselves.

2. Never try talking things through with bad guys. Just shoot boiling lava at them.

3. No matter how many times you beat bad or evil things they will always just keep re-appearing.

4. Creatures that live in magical worlds are pathetically bad at simple puzzles. Especially advanced races that live in underwater cities.

5. The simplest tasks are never straight forward. (you must defeat 4 ogres and 3 trolls before replying to this post).