Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pets and their Wizard's School

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
I'm sure this topic has been posted a thousand times, but I couldn't find any that answered my questions. First, is there any rule or guide to what school your pet should be in comparison to what school you are? (ex: Should a fire wizard have a fire pet, or another specific school, or does it not matter at all?) Are there any good Wizard/Pet combos such as Life/Death, Fire/Ice, etc...? Lastly, are there any suggestions on when to train a pet (such as wizard level), or can/should you train a (few) pet(s) at all levels on the way to Grandmaster?

Sorry for the mess of questions, but I find most guides online are outdated (back when GM was 50), or only talk about pet talents, and not these basic questions. Thank you for any response or links to helpful pages.

Aedan Flame ~ Pyromancer

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Typod360 on Feb 4, 2013 wrote:
I'm sure this topic has been posted a thousand times, but I couldn't find any that answered my questions. First, is there any rule or guide to what school your pet should be in comparison to what school you are? (ex: Should a fire wizard have a fire pet, or another specific school, or does it not matter at all?) Are there any good Wizard/Pet combos such as Life/Death, Fire/Ice, etc...? Lastly, are there any suggestions on when to train a pet (such as wizard level), or can/should you train a (few) pet(s) at all levels on the way to Grandmaster?

Sorry for the mess of questions, but I find most guides online are outdated (back when GM was 50), or only talk about pet talents, and not these basic questions. Thank you for any response or links to helpful pages.

Aedan Flame ~ Pyromancer
1) There are no rules or guides. It's all a matter of preference.
2) Again, a matter of preference. For most of my wizards I usually use a pet of the same school. I do make exceptions, like for my Life wizard who has Fire as her secondary school - I've use a fire pet with success.
3) Train your pet as you can or want to. I train pretty much every day I play. Little wizards (after level 7) can train pets just as successfully as full-on level 80 wizards. The wizard's level has nothing to do with training.