Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance vs life

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Hello fellow wizards i have a bit of a prob i dont know what school is better!! i been spending countless hours try to pick the best one so can you pleas help i am in the balance range right now vs life.

Balance-75%

Life- 25%

pleas reply!!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Tylericegem on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:
Hello fellow wizards i have a bit of a prob i dont know what school is better!! i been spending countless hours try to pick the best one so can you pleas help i am in the balance range right now vs life.

Balance-75%

Life- 25%

pleas reply!!
There is no such thing as a "better" school. All schools can be powerful, accurate, etc., depending on the wizard training. Choose the one you enjoy playing more.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

Balance-75%

Life- 25%

pleas reply!!
i have both. but it depends on you and your play-style. if you plan to pvp a lot, go with life. if not, choose balance. hope this helps, kinda sorta.

-von
90 balance, 42 life (and the rest)

Defender
Jun 06, 2009

Balance-75%

Life- 25%

pleas reply!!
LOL, you are a planner.

Ironically, I think that means your first two best choices are likely Life and Balance. Planning helps everyone, but it is key to Life and Balance being able to shine.

So, choosing between them -- I take it this is your sixth wizard and you are trapped by the fact that on a single account you have to choose one school to miss out on. Otherwise, if this is not your last wizard, why not try them both and see for yourself?

Anyway --

As has been stated by others, "better" and "worse" are individual assessments. Each school has strengths, each has limitations. What makes a school better or worse is how you relate to those strengths and weaknesses -- in other words, do you "get" the school? Understand its philosophy, its structure.

No way to know that for sure without trying it.

And it should be noted that the strengths and weaknesses of the schools change as you go up in levels. Some differences start to disappear. New ones show up. (In my opinion, it starts to get muddy after level 50 or so, culminating in a real mud bath by level 60).

Some questions to help you sort through this for the lower levels:

1) What is your goal? As in playing style. For example (and these will be silly examples to get the point across):

"I like power". Reliability is not important, I will eventually hit. But I want a big hit. Really, really big.
Answer: Storm. Maybe Fire.

or

"I like reliability." I will eventually kill the thing, so long as every time I pull the trigger a spell comes out and does some damage.
Answer: Life. Maybe Balance.

or

"I like to interfere". It will eventually come down to hits, but along the way I want to mess up the enemy's actions as much as possible.
Answer: Myth. Death. Maybe Ice.

Now, specifically choosing between Life and Balance, those would be some detailed questions.

Like:

Consistency or Flexibility? Life edges out in consistency, Balance is slightly more flexible.
Life has more healing options. Balance has more attack options.

You might just need to try them both to see.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Survivor
Jun 18, 2012

Balance-75%

Life- 25%

pleas reply!!
A better school doesn't exist, it all matters on how you play your cards. My best friend who is a life wizard is one of the best attackers i know. Your school is what you make out of it. A life wizard can be a beast at killing, and a fire wizard can be an amazing healer. It all depends how you play your cards. They each have their flaws and advantages.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Test run both schools and then decide. I personally would choose life out of the 2 but that is just my opinion. I say try them both to decide.
Play each one to level 5 or so and determine which you feel fits you better.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2012
Yeah, their is no best
all schools have thier advantages and disadvantages

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
I thank everyone one so far and what you have said is all true also this is my last wizard sadly and i love to attack and also like to help and i think balance will fit that but the only thing is that i love froest lord and gnomes but i also love ra and judgment. idk if i told you guys this but i had a lvl 45 life and deleted him to make my balance who is now lvl 22 after 3 days i have about 50 days left to decide what one i want to keep since when you delete a wizard you get 60 days to get him back till he is gone for ever! but you guys are the best

pleas reply........

Also i would like to know if you guys think to bring the epic bundle pack back for a day or to would be a good idea or put the attire in the crown shop so people dont have to pvp to get itlike what if you arent good at pvp and just can't win just putting it in the crown shop will be very helpful cause the guardiens gear is getting old

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Make your school balance, cause you seem to like it more. But you also like life, so when you get training points, use them for life

Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
Why not get balance school, then get a life amulet in teh crown shop? Problem solved!

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Autumn Moonstone on Feb 9, 2013 wrote:
Why not get balance school, then get a life amulet in teh crown shop? Problem solved!
LOL, that does resolve much of the issue -- but there are always some things which only the native school can provide. For example, non-Life wizards cannot train Forest Lord or Unicorn. You can get gear, Treasure Cards, etc., but you cannot train it.

So it still comes down to personal choice -- but I do agree, one way around the bulk of the issues is to take the school you like better and "Master" the other one.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Life. I have both, and I LOVE my life wizard more. Just make sure you have plenty of friends to help you, things get tougher once you hit Dragonspyre. (Soloing wise that is)