Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Promethean Now? Feedbacks please...

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 10, 2011
I've been a Promethean 2 days ago and finished all the quest yesterday using my death wizard. KI managed to pull a decent challenging world in AZ. But here are some of my feedback after finishing the world:
  • the world indeed is challenging. but still players can finish the game without much fuss except for some bugs in quests that was remedied immediately. Some major lag can be experienced for weaker PC's. Virulence still freezes my spinning blades when casted
  • i've seen plenty Prometheans still wearing combinations of WW, crafted AV/WT/ZF gears. So there is no underpowered gears atm only varying skills in players.Some even finished the world after 2 days and are now completing the crafting quest.
  • pets are major helpers in this world BUT I did saw prometheans having not so traditionally known strong pet talents finishing. Some have health gifts, mana gift, smoke screen, etc.
  • the world provides players with ample "helpful" gears in terms of wands, rings, athames, and resist gears. A team mate of mine admit changing into a lot of dropped gears while questing and managed boss fights with them on. I myself love the wand drop that i used til the game ended. Decks with life points also drops aside from the fact that it can be crafted.
  • the Star and Sun school spells is the key in keeping up in the worlds plump enemy life points. Learn new ways to stack blades and pump traps with them and be amazed how you can damage. Moon school? never tried training them on all of my mages.
  • plenty of soloing can be done in this world, beside the fact that there are several mandatory solo dungeons that doesnt even allow porting. So for me. the scaling of difficulty is balanced unlike what was feared in test realm. I do admit, my storm is having a baptismal by fire with this world. But i have a fellow promethean storm wizard who said it can be done if you know when to call for help and switch into right gears in boss fights.
  • The ending will surprise you sadly not in a way you are expecting in a boss fight, but the fights before the finish was awesome and challenging
  • On my death mage, i barely used the rank 10 spell because the buffed blades/feint enabled the monster and crow to wallop a decent amount of damage
We may have different opinions depending on our experiences and schools so its not bad if other players who finished the game share their thoughts and tips because I myself have other wizards waiting to be leveled up and begging for some AZ perspective according to their school. Thanks!

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
while i havent done any questing what so ever(taking break because of test realm) i would be completely fine with this world if they just improved the gear we get, critical and critical block dont solve everything KI.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
gweedoboy on Nov 20, 2012 wrote:
while i havent done any questing what so ever(taking break because of test realm) i would be completely fine with this world if they just improved the gear we get, critical and critical block dont solve everything KI.
Critical and critical block doesnt solve everything but it is important in AZ. As I said, many finished the game with what they have on even before AZ went live. Gear drops like the wands are very good too. Its the first world i noticed where dropped gears really help.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I dropped my crit to zero since avalon because everything has a huge block rating so i dont waste my time with it. I just pump my damage boost and do great that way.

Crit block is needed though.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Find new ways to blade up :) Azteca does require a wizard to build damage power in ways other worlds did not. I fin dmyself revisiting pets that give blades instead of my fancy pets with spritely, pips, resist, etc. I need POWER.

My Theurgist casts a mean Forest Lord with 5 life blades plus dragonblade, plus colossal, plus 68% damage boost from my gear.

Happy Blade Stacking,

Iridian Shadowweaver

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Monsoon Jo on Nov 20, 2012 wrote:
Critical and critical block doesnt solve everything but it is important in AZ. As I said, many finished the game with what they have on even before AZ went live. Gear drops like the wands are very good too. Its the first world i noticed where dropped gears really help.
i never said it was useless. it just seems thats what KI is trying to base almost ALL of there gear off, while the rest is either healing gear or something else that makes me laugh.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
gweedoboy on Nov 21, 2012 wrote:
i never said it was useless. it just seems thats what KI is trying to base almost ALL of there gear off, while the rest is either healing gear or something else that makes me laugh.
We are trying to help each other here to somehow get some tips from other schools or players who "actually" played the world and has been through it. I guess it will be best for you to make a thread about poor gears in AZ rather than discuss it here.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Nov 21, 2012 wrote:
I dropped my crit to zero since avalon because everything has a huge block rating so i dont waste my time with it. I just pump my damage boost and do great that way.

Crit block is needed though.
its interesting how differently we can solve problems for each school while in AZ. I found my critical rating very helpful on my death mage. It doesnt always push through but it did manage to make more critical hits than being blocked with my experienced. I got very good damage boost on my pet alone (pain giver + death dealer) and resist with defy and proof. The critical block though came from switching wands that dropped in AZ. Also, Im excited in crafting the wands being sold by the vendor at AZ.

Find new ways to blade up :) Azteca does require a wizard to build damage power in ways other worlds did not. I fin dmyself revisiting pets that give blades instead of my fancy pets with spritely, pips, resist, etc. I need POWER.

My Theurgist casts a mean Forest Lord with 5 life blades plus dragonblade, plus colossal, plus 68% damage boost from my gear.

Happy Blade Stacking,

Iridian Shadowweaver

My Vons Monster can consistently hit 40K upwards with proper blading. regular 35, regular 35(SB), regular 40, regualr 40(SB), regular feint 70, regular 70(PT), Pet feint 70, TC 40, I can crow 5K upwards too and more if it critical. Stacking is fun!

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
I finally finished AZ with my Storm! Exchanging hits with AZ critters while hanging on to 3.1K life points is pure joy. I hope someone finds them useful so here it goes:
  • I got full AV set that gave me good critical block. this carried me throughout AZ while switching with my storm resist gear (eureka coif, Pandemonium Plate and another AV boots). I got 99% storm resist when switching because of my pet with pain giver, storm giver, spritely, proof and storm resist. It became too important when doing storm boss fights, boss with storm minions and even storm mobs. BTW, my damage went down from 99 to 90 because of the switch to a more critical block happy gear.
  • I never had to use shields up to AV, But I gave in to train for tower shields in AZ. And it comes with Volcanic shields (storm/fire) to boot. I also trained to Satyr before so i also have Legend shield (death/myth) from life school. I have countless boss battles where i need to switch these shields to help protect my glass like stature lol.
  • Heals. Life current helped a lot when lucky, but it may spell your death if not. So bringing in satyr and pixie nullifies the need to gamble with it sometimes.
  • I soloed as much as i can, but not as well as my death did. I found lots of new friends though because nothing beats a group if you cant do it alone. Storm can withstand alone with shields but its almost certainly bound to fail when out of luck and dealing with two 20K+ boss.
  • The star and sun school spells are dangerous in storms hands. Period.
  • The storm owl is just simply dreadful to an enemy. I wouldnt want to be at the receiving end of a buffed owl.
  • I also switch to an onyx shenlong dragon pet that gives a useful feint, guardian tower, pain giver, defy and proof in some boss fights to boost both my resistance and defense (mc tower shield) at the expense of some damage boost.
  • Lastly, having a good critical rate pulled me out of the ditch several times in AZ. They do block well but they didnt, they are dead.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2010
I just started azteca as soon as it came out. I had no problems but my opinion is just too many bosses! You kill one boss, an after one quest after that its another boss!! I like that but sometimes a bother some thing. other then that, Azteca is kewl!

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Timothy Deathstalk... on Dec 3, 2012 wrote:
I just started azteca as soon as it came out. I had no problems but my opinion is just too many bosses! You kill one boss, an after one quest after that its another boss!! I like that but sometimes a bother some thing. other then that, Azteca is kewl!
Well thas not really the problem, have you ever wondered how fun it actually is to fight the new bosses? The real problem is those minions they always have, a 1v1 with a boss is difficult enough hats it's fu nand challenging, add an annoying minion to the equation just messes everything up. I've already finished hte new world and looking back, I think i had more problems with the minions than the actully bosses.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
I just got my Ice mage to Promethean but not yet finish with twin giants. I thought sitting on 5.1K life points is OP for AZ but i have deaths so far. My ice have 52 damage which i got from a snow beast (pain giver, spritely, unicorn, ice dealer & proof). Inherently ice is strong (resistance) vs. storm and fire so it helps a lot in AZ. Mine got AV armor/hat and a level 58 boots almost similar to WW ice boots that i don't have. This i sometimes switch to an AV Dun dara crafted boots when block is needed. Im sure others have their own strategy, but here is what I observed so far:
  • Mine trained to satyr and feint. Bringing two feints in my deck and a single potent trap is very important in boss fights. Having A 70 and 80 feint vs a boss helps a lot. Just be careful about the 30/40 hex on your own toon. Always trim your decks to a minimum (2/3 full or less) so you will not stall.
  • Besides defense, ice strengths lie in its blades. With sharpened blades(sun school) and sleet storm (star), hits are decent.so its rewarding to be patient in stacking them.
  • AZ ice enemies. They cast shields that have 70% resist to fire (e.g volcanic shield) so prisms alone will not do. I have to switch wands to an AZ fire one and stock some tc fire elf to take care of them. Aside from the usual stun spells, they can now Lord of Winter which hurts a lot both in damage and pips.
  • Trickster's Lying Bow (ice wand) is what i use because of the two 45 blades, good critical block and rate it gives. One problem having it is when getting rid of weaknesses and efreet hits. So I bring around 8 TC imps along with TC 40 blades & reshuffle in my sideboard.
  • Shields. Even with a huge life stat, i will not be able to finish most solo boss fights without them.
  • Lord of Winter is strong, but i use it to kill and not for its pip effect. Frost giant is still my most used spell though.
  • Soloing. Did i say bring feint & feint w/ potent trap already?

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
I finally made my 4th & probably last promethean for this game. Its an unconventional Life wizard trained in full Death (mastery amulet) and Ice (tower) schools set for offense. The critical block (only at 100+) and resistance (only 28) are low. But the damage range fm 77-79, with 30% healing in and 210 critical rate. Its pet is a forest beast with pain giver, Life bringer, spritely, unicorn and proof. True to its school, the "stubborn" healing is the center of defense while the critical rate churns for two-fold effect both when hitting or healing.
  • a decent healing "in" boost plus a good critical rate under sanctuary (did not train mend or circle of life) and a pet with unicorn/spritely kept my healing set up painfully tenacious for enemies. This allowed me to solo even the most spamtastic boss/mobs in AZ. Healing with satyr ranges from 1.2K to 3.3K (+/- sanctuary/critical).
  • the aura slot is for Empowerment spell to drain enemy pips by letting them hit me while gaining pips for use in healing or attacks afterwards.I also use Berserk at the middle/end of stacking blades/traps for max hits.
  • Shields. tower, volcanic, legend & dream helped a lot with the healing set up while the empowerment spell is on.
  • Blading. the blades/traps/feint (buffed by SB/PT or not) worked well both for my Life and Death attacks (Wraith/Scarecrow TC). In three rounds, Forest Lord can hit 5K upwards with its fat blades.
  • Gear is AV hat, AZ Robe and WW boots and was used throughout the game (AV robe before level 84)
  • AZ Enemies. Life ones can cast Gnomes!, making you dangerously low on health while being unable to cast life spells twice (Entangle). Cleanse and casting 0 pip blades works and sometimes I cast Wraith/TC Scarecrow instead to drain/kill
  • Soloing is doable. Again I use feint/feint-PT combos for main boss and Forest Lord is still King for minions/mobs. Spinysaur is a great kill card - hurts even more with the DoT
  • no-damage Star spell is a letdown BUT not necessary IMO

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
First off, thanks to the players who are still reading this. I didn't mean it to be a lonely thread so far but amidst all the negativity plaguing the threads, i thought its best to share unsolicited (LOL) helpful (I hope)advice than to scare the young wizards of W101.The prometheans I have now made it because of common spells or strategies I used in AZ. None of them is absolute so other ideas are definitely welcome.

• Empowerment is key in AZ's pip bashing world. Any rank 4 spells upwards that hits you gives 1 pip in four turns. This free lone pip is essential to cast a regular tri-blade, tri-blade + sharpened blade, feint, feint + potent trap, TC 40 elemental/spirit blade without losing a power pip and to quickly blade up for an attack. In a group, casting it on the first turn can lead to a punishing wave of consecutive AoE spells from each wizard much sooner and at 0 pip cost. Its an alternative spell too vs. enemies that can wipe out blades, pips or even chain stun you (should you fail to draw stun block/conviction) on earlier rounds. After casting a major spell, it can quickly help recover pips so you can attack or heal. I also use it to disable Berserk. I know, getting hit isnt nice, but with a timely shield, decent HP, resist & block this spell works like a charm.
  • AoE spells Casting an AoE spell that will kill all minion/s first leaving a severely wounded boss behind is best. Using a card that hits only one enemy when facing three of them including a boss exposes you to stall while recovering pips. So hit hard once to kill the minions first then another one for the boss.
  • Feint. Any non death school should train for it. With Feint + Feint with Potent Trap on any boss, I can sometimes one hit a boss with its minions using a single AoE spell. This works well with the new Rank 10 AoE spells too. About the 30/40 hex, feint only with enough HP to spare, after casting a shield, after the enemy dishes out its strongest attack or drained out of pips.
to be continued...

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Monsoon Jo on Jan 16, 2013 wrote:
First off, thanks to the players who are still reading this. I didn't mean it to be a lonely thread so far but amidst all the negativity plaguing the threads, i thought its best to share unsolicited (LOL) helpful (I hope)advice than to scare the young wizards of W101.The prometheans I have now made it because of common spells or strategies I used in AZ. None of them is absolute so other ideas are definitely welcome.

• Empowerment is key in AZ's pip bashing world. Any rank 4 spells upwards that hits you gives 1 pip in four turns. This free lone pip is essential to cast a regular tri-blade, tri-blade + sharpened blade, feint, feint + potent trap, TC 40 elemental/spirit blade without losing a power pip and to quickly blade up for an attack. In a group, casting it on the first turn can lead to a punishing wave of consecutive AoE spells from each wizard much sooner and at 0 pip cost. Its an alternative spell too vs. enemies that can wipe out blades, pips or even chain stun you (should you fail to draw stun block/conviction) on earlier rounds. After casting a major spell, it can quickly help recover pips so you can attack or heal. I also use it to disable Berserk. I know, getting hit isnt nice, but with a timely shield, decent HP, resist & block this spell works like a charm.
  • AoE spells Casting an AoE spell that will kill all minion/s first leaving a severely wounded boss behind is best. Using a card that hits only one enemy when facing three of them including a boss exposes you to stall while recovering pips. So hit hard once to kill the minions first then another one for the boss.
  • Feint. Any non death school should train for it. With Feint + Feint with Potent Trap on any boss, I can sometimes one hit a boss with its minions using a single AoE spell. This works well with the new Rank 10 AoE spells too. About the 30/40 hex, feint only with enough HP to spare, after casting a shield, after the enemy dishes out its strongest attack or drained out of pips.
to be continued...
thanks for the helpful tips and all but not everyone can do everything you can just to point that out. im glad to hear that you beat azteca on all 4 of your wizard with such ease but sadly even with your tips most still have a lot of problems especially those that dont come to the forums. i soloed about 75% of azteca but still came out with a head ache. the topic says promeathen now feed back plz so i will give you my feed back as i have completed azteca so here are some things i didnt like and after that ill explain how to improve them.

1. i found that even with 243 critical(witch is 48% chance) they still blocked nearly all my criticals
2. i hardley get any droped gear thats for my school witch if you like droped gear thats gonna be a problem
3. even if i did like droped gear the stats for MOST of it are near terrible except for some of the wands that are droped and to give an example i have seen level 86 gear that gives 2 cards 190 health and 7 power pip chance, pretty pathetic if you ask me.
4. the enemies have our new spell before we get it and it doesnt help that they can cast it on round 1, what ever happened to them getting our new spells in the next world.

thats some of the problems so heres how i would fix it.

1. either lower the enemy block a little or raise the amount of critical on future gear without having it penalize the other stats on it.
2. raise the percentage on getting droped gear thats for the persons school
3 simply listen to your subscribers.
4. this is also simple, just dont give the enemies in the next world our new rank 11 spells. give them it in the world after that.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
First, Congratulations!

Im not oblivious to the problems of AZ. I finished the game sans nerfing, I dont think I have superpowers that enabled me to do it because i have the very same tools that everybody else has access to. If I can do it, anybody else can do the same. So I would rather teach people who needs help how to fish than giving them one. Moving on.

1. With mob fights? I do have more hits than blocks. Its not a huge margin but still it works. But the value of critical rate for me is always twofold, healing and atacking.Boss fights? yes they block well, BUT I do relish the fact that when it pushes through, I always end up having a smile on my face from one ear to the other. Check the new wands in the crown shop, it seems the game design is pushing for critical rate to be the stat needed to beat AZ & the next world.

2. If you noticed, I didn't equip most of AZ drops too except the wands and probably some trinkets. But I have friends who, unlike me, value resistance, dropped their damage for it and found that turtling up while taking potshots at the enemy equally effective. Im a damage freak, and I value critical block more than resistance at AZ. Also, there really is no other choice but to use critical rate with the way the crafted gears are made. They are inseparable. So i figured why not use it?

3. What more can i say, they are pathetic, but wizards are expected to see what works for them at AZ. I have friends who find the dropped resist gears helpful. So preferences doesn't matter as long as it works for you.

4. Come on. I'm sure you witness how horrible the enemies used this new spells except probably Lord of Winter. Still not a big deal, It only makes beating them more satisfying when you hit them with a weaker spell that hits 2- 4x harder..

I LOL when I read your number 3 solution. I think they should talk more especially in the forums than quietly listening all the time.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Monsoon Jo on Jan 18, 2013 wrote:
First, Congratulations!

Im not oblivious to the problems of AZ. I finished the game sans nerfing, I dont think I have superpowers that enabled me to do it because i have the very same tools that everybody else has access to. If I can do it, anybody else can do the same. So I would rather teach people who needs help how to fish than giving them one. Moving on.

1. With mob fights? I do have more hits than blocks. Its not a huge margin but still it works. But the value of critical rate for me is always twofold, healing and atacking.Boss fights? yes they block well, BUT I do relish the fact that when it pushes through, I always end up having a smile on my face from one ear to the other. Check the new wands in the crown shop, it seems the game design is pushing for critical rate to be the stat needed to beat AZ & the next world.

2. If you noticed, I didn't equip most of AZ drops too except the wands and probably some trinkets. But I have friends who, unlike me, value resistance, dropped their damage for it and found that turtling up while taking potshots at the enemy equally effective. Im a damage freak, and I value critical block more than resistance at AZ. Also, there really is no other choice but to use critical rate with the way the crafted gears are made. They are inseparable. So i figured why not use it?

3. What more can i say, they are pathetic, but wizards are expected to see what works for them at AZ. I have friends who find the dropped resist gears helpful. So preferences doesn't matter as long as it works for you.

4. Come on. I'm sure you witness how horrible the enemies used this new spells except probably Lord of Winter. Still not a big deal, It only makes beating them more satisfying when you hit them with a weaker spell that hits 2- 4x harder..

I LOL when I read your number 3 solution. I think they should talk more especially in the forums than quietly listening all the time.
my my we have very different opinions on some things. now just because you give people some helpful advice doesnt mean that there gonna march back into the game suddenly just as good as you are and become a pro player, while your tips help they dont magicly turn people into hard core players. could they do it? yes but only with a bunch of commitment.

1. as for me mobs block about half the time i depend more on my damage boost. with bosses the only criticals i count on going through are heals, again i depend on my awesome fire wizards damage boost to do the work and i always get an over kill witch also brings a smile to my face after the head ache of knowing i have to fight another one. i have checked the wands in the crown shop but i have already bought the last queztals bite and i wanna save my crowns for the nexts worlds crown gear witch will be even better.

2. i value both resistance and damage boost. anyone who have seen my wziard knowes this because he has 39 universal R. and 76 damage boost while mantaning pretty good stats in everything else(180 critical just to let you know). i value block a lot as well and i have about 120 universal of it. i just dont rely on critical and so far that has worked wonders for me. in my mind its pretty simple, whats the point of block without any resistance? same goes the other way around especially with damage boost and health.

3. glad we agree the gear needs an update and i also agree use what works for you. obvilously going full out offensive with your gear works for you so keep up the good work.

4. yes they may not use it as smartly as we do but they still hurt especially storm owl. i mainly complained about this because some people like to get there spell, cast it, and see it for the first time(yes i may be part of those people).

i agree they should be telling us what they think of the situation and tell us how there gonna fix it.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
I was scratching my head with your "my my..." comment. Nowhere in this thread did i mention that you will be an instant pro gamer if you read my advice so please don't twist my words into a rather ugly perspective. I'm not even the best player among some of my friends who taught me all about hatching pets and gave me gardening tips. This thread is not for grandstanding. State your ideas about game strategy and AZ and we will discuss about it. But please refrain from bating anyone into childish squabbles if you can because it's counter-productive. There are enough threads for that already so Im steering clear off of it. Im merely offering advise that might help other players "who needs it" to get through AZ from any feedback I can muster so far.

On Topic: You are lucky to be able to buy wands at will, I don't have the same resources as you have. But from what I can see, the "pure" WW sets in AZ becomes stronger again combined with the newer crown wands including what you have bought. The pip percentage, critical Rate and Block Boost of these newer wands combined with the damage boost, healing in and resistance of the WW sets makes it an all around gear if tweaked right.

I'll continue with what else i can share later when work and chores permits me to do so. Im currently in celestia with my mothballed myth wizard

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Monsoon Jo on Jan 22, 2013 wrote:
I was scratching my head with your "my my..." comment. Nowhere in this thread did i mention that you will be an instant pro gamer if you read my advice so please don't twist my words into a rather ugly perspective. I'm not even the best player among some of my friends who taught me all about hatching pets and gave me gardening tips. This thread is not for grandstanding. State your ideas about game strategy and AZ and we will discuss about it. But please refrain from bating anyone into childish squabbles if you can because it's counter-productive. There are enough threads for that already so Im steering clear off of it. Im merely offering advise that might help other players "who needs it" to get through AZ from any feedback I can muster so far.

On Topic: You are lucky to be able to buy wands at will, I don't have the same resources as you have. But from what I can see, the "pure" WW sets in AZ becomes stronger again combined with the newer crown wands including what you have bought. The pip percentage, critical Rate and Block Boost of these newer wands combined with the damage boost, healing in and resistance of the WW sets makes it an all around gear if tweaked right.

I'll continue with what else i can share later when work and chores permits me to do so. Im currently in celestia with my mothballed myth wizard
as for the first paragraph, fair enough. the my my comment was never meant to be offensive it was just something i typed but i guess it could be taken as offensive, also i was just saying what i thought you were trying to say but everyone makes mistakes.
on topic.
yes i am lucky and im smart to so as any smart person would do ill give people my own advice(no boasting intended). first of all if you do have crowns save them for later, ki will release better stuff in the next world however if you must have a better wand now go ahead and get one, you wont regret it(i should know).
a tip for the spell bosses well as we all know its 3vs1 and many people are having to buy henchmen to get there spells so heres the way to do it without henchmen.
1. the bazaar has a lot of old gear that gives you a lot of resist to one school, so all you need to know is what school the enemies are and buy the best resist gear to that school or craft it. i know the star boss has minions of another school so just try to balance out the resist as best you can.

2. when i had to fight my school spell boss, well the boss was life and the minions were fire and i wasnt very well equipted for life and fire(didnt help that the life guy couldnt stop criticaling) so what i did was mark location then i killed the minions and the boss killed me with a critical, then i ported back and NO MINIONS just me and the boss so i put my kill you gear back on and defeated the boss.

simple as that however it is easier said than done so i wish you all the best of luck especially you balance wizards, from what ive heard youve got it the hardest.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
I made Promethean some time back, and then finished the game shortly after.

I did the first 1/3 of Azteca using the rules of thumb the last several worlds taught me: Good Resist, stack blades, hit with Colossal Forest Lord.

Learned quickly to switch hat and boots to resist the boss or at least one of the schools in each battle, and the drops gave me nice numbers in that space, which made surviving long enough to hit a possibility.

Then I ran into the street battles where stuns became even more frequent, Earthquake stole blades, Mana Burn stole pips, Smoke Screen stole accuracy, etc. I tried to adjust but still had some deaths. Totally spoiled by a sense of invincibility long before I got to Water Works, this was a slap in the face.

I adjusted and adjusted and adjusted, and the battles kept getting better and better as I made my attacks smaller and smaller.

Finally, in frustration, I went to my spam deck. Still gearing for Resist and 100% Power Pips, with a Balance Mastery for cheap Reshuffle, I packed small. Hit: 6 Colossal, 6 Leprechaun. Heal: 6 Fairy, sometimes 6 Sanctuary, and once I learned it, 6 Primordial. Sideboard: Completely filled with TC Fairy from the Library. Used some of these, but not as much as you might expect.

Under the spam deck, the last two thirds of Azteca were a cake walk, including my level 88 spell quest.

If my Health dropped below 2600, I cast Fairy. Otherwise, I cast Leprechaun. Cut through everything like a hot knife to butter.

The new spell is a DoT. Finally. Costs 10 pips. Have never cast it. Too expensive. There is no place where use of this spell makes any sense to me.

Azteca is done, I am back to helping friends get through it, usually as a healer (Outbound Heal 107%).

Sharpens and Potents now complicate short deck, but that makes the game less formulaic and is probably a good thing.

Glad I did it, but mostly because that means I don't have to do it anymore.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
I like to start by saying thanks to J.Todd Coleman. I hope the legacy and vision he had for W101 lingers on in the spiral. I use to play Magic The Gathering trade card game a lot. W101 just released Celestia when i signed in. I was blown away by the way it captured the essence of a turn-based card game where you can build decks and witness your cards turn into living breathing animated spells. Thanks Todd for co-creating a virtual world that closely resemble the game I enjoy playing so much back then. Most of the points I listed here apply to an offensive type of play.
  • Shields. In my hunt for the highest critical block that i can squeeze out of my gears, my resistance often becomes second priority in terms of defense. Why? because I rely on trained 70% double shields to foil enemy attacks. Of course tower shields is the default spell to train.
  • Critical Block. Except for my Life mage, all my prometheans have a critical Block ranging 130 to almost 170. Some do better at some schools but its the highest range I can manage without sacrificing damage. Wands and crafted gears (more in boots) excel in this very important defensive stat at AZ. I do switch to wands with higher block rate for boss fights.
  • Resistance. Resistance is important. I get most of them from my pets who always have spell proof if not defy/proof combo as talents.
  • The Deck. The standard level 85 no auction deck drops has 64 main slots 16 deafault slots for wand/amulet and 34 cards in the sideboard. Its only logical to use them (or crafted ones) because of the life points and pip boost they carry. Preference in spell choices varies for each school. But the rule of thumb for me for any deck is never put cards more than 2/3 full on the main window. It's even better if you can manage less than that. If you are stalling, having nothing to cast a lot of times,it only means you have too many copies of the same spell or have many high pip cost spells crammed in.
thats it for now, I got to work lol, meanwhile be positive guys, its just a game
(EDIT - previous Crit Block stats was mistyped)

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
The following reminders are only meant to inform players who needs a wee bit of help at AZ.
  • The Sideboard. It is important to remember that putting in too many cards in your sideboard makes your deck slower. This is my default TC set-up on a level 85 dropped deck (with life points & pip boost).
-3-5 reshuffle (never trained it). With it, you can discard your whole hand to dig up any card you need and never run out of cards.
-Elemental or Spirit blades bought at WC library. A +40% TC tri-blade doesn't only pump damage, it is the most efficient draw that will prevent you from missing a turn. There are school specific TC single blades too (+40%) that you can harvest from honey sickle.
---ends here & both cards occupy only half of the sideboard---
BUT
when against fire, balance, death --> throw in (4-6pcs) cleanse charm *
when against storm, myth, ice --> add (4-6pcs) stun block
- dispel, pierce & extra heal TC cards are optional choices too.

*If you have enemies that has weakness/smoke screen spells and spam shields at the same time, keep a wand (must be right school for non-tower shields) handy so you can hit the shield while removing the negative charm in one turn.
  • Healing. When you heal, you leave an opening for the enemy to recover while loosing valuable pips in the process.So just heal ENOUGH for you to survive the battle. You only need 1 life point to win. Unless the next round kills you, do not heal at all and continue setting up for an attack. Most of the time, a healing pet or a timely shield is enough to survive a battle.
  • Knowing the enemy. Knowing your enemies school, cheats, weakness and which type of shields/prism to put in is half the battle won already. During a battle, a boss with a twinkling comet revolving around their neck means they are wearing a mastery amulet. So check what school it is so you'll know what to bring if you fail the first time. Can't do it alone? Team up!
Thanks for reading and remember its just a game!

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
Greetings fellow wizards! yes im back. My myth finished Xibalba too. It stands at 4K+ HP with 62 damage. Its critical rate is 240 with a universal block of 150 and resistance of 34% across the board. At level 84 it is already wearing AZ Robe and boots crafted by my death guy. I kept the AV crafted hat on for HP and critical rate. His solid stats come from my storm pets Onyx Shenlong Dragon with feint card, pain giver, defy, proof, guardian tower and spritely.
  • Strengths. cheap AoE spells. Even with weak damage, Earthquakes blade/shield devastating effect at only 6 pips and Humongofrogs 4 pips makes them a very good one two punch combo. Enhanced by Sharpened Blade, reliquary, colossal and myth bubble, I was able to deliver attacks with decent damage. Minions however, are too unpredictable to use pass Wysteria.
  • Critical Rate. With 240 CR. At Twin Giant, He can hit up to 9K with Earthquake or Humongofrog if criticals hits unblocked. Having a high critical rating with weak damage but cheap AoE spells was a logical choice for me
  • Single attack spells. Myth owns the Swiss Army Knife of cool spells among all the schools in W101. From the lowly two hitting Minotaur & Orthrus, Medusa's two turn stun, Basilisks Stun/DoT and the awesome raw damage of the Calendar with pip steal, no defense is too strong to stand against it
  • Feint. Again, when combined with potent trap, pet feint plus myths single attacks spells, boss fights are easier.
  • Shields. I throw in twin 70% shields if not tower when needed
  • Soloing. I only have to team up with Belloq and Xibalba, 20K twin bosses are manageable after changing my deck to single attack ones. For some reason, fire enemies are big problems because myth attacks either has no boost or due to inherent strong resistance. Same school enemy fights are easier compared to fire with what I experienced.
-nothing to do now but farm agave leaves and plant DHE's, KP's and Couch Potatoes

Prometheans R. Lionhand J. Winterbane F. Stardust S. Titanfist Brahm