Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion: Completely get rid of PvP gear

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 13, 2012
Okay, I've been wanting to get this out for a while. There's two sections here: a rant, and a logical argument. I recommend you read both

Why I'm frustrated:

I have 0 wins and 14 losses on my newest Life wizard. I've tried every single good strategy I'm capable of at least twice on separate days, each time going in feeling confident.

I'm level 58 right now. I have a good deck with cards like tower, feint, and life dispel. I have enchants and auras. I even stoop to a new low and stack my side deck with weavers, infections, weaknesses and towers. I have some of the best non-PvP gear for my level.

It doesn't matter if I spend the entire match carefully planning everything out; maintaining a pip advantage, shielding, blading, and all the other important things. PvP warlords are INVINCIBLE to privates. Even the ones who are a quarter of my level (which I'm paired with at least 80% of the time) have pets which heal them to full after my fully bladed and enchanted Centaur hits them for a whopping 500 damage.

It always ends with the blades they've accumulated coming at me in the form of a tc 50+ levels above theirs (e.g. Efreet or Snow Angel) and then it's game over for me.

There is no way to win. I'm confident I'm not alone in this. I'm 99% sure everyone who got up to warlord paid for gear so they could win against the warlords, and then when they got there, they were rewarded with their even more overpowered gear that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

But pay2win is a whole other rant that I will probably write next. Now it's time for a less frustrated and more logical argument.

Why it's unfair:

First, before I start really attacking PvP, let me a backup point: any good PvP game should be fair. Both people should have the same chance of winning, and the wit of each player should be the deciding factor of each win. A balanced game is a fun game. Right?

With that in mind, in a rating system like in Wizard101's, a higher rank usually means higher skill and experience with the competitive aspect of the game. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that somebody with higher skill is able to win way more often than people with less skill.

With THAT in mind, here's the point I need to make, which couldn't be more frustratingly obvious. Why are the higher ranked and supposedly more skilled players being given exclusive gear with incredible stats? Shouldn't people more experienced with PvP have a progressively harder time as they climb the ladder? That's how most games work; the higher up you get, the more effort you need to put into winning.

However, since Wizard101 does the exact opposite, it's hardest when you are starting out, and easiest when you're already way up there. A warlord against a private is not only an unfair match-up because of the skill difference, but the wizard with the most skill also has insane stats that the private can't even come close to.

It's obvious what needs to change. Get your act together, Kingsisle, please. For the players?

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
No, KingsIsle would lose money and players if they got rid of PvP gear. A better solution is to avoid PvP altogether if you don't enjoy it.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
George Washington on Dec 14, 2015 wrote:
No, KingsIsle would lose money and players if they got rid of PvP gear. A better solution is to avoid PvP altogether if you don't enjoy it.
wouldn't matter and I would rather just get rid of rank pvp THEN the gear (not try get warlord badge ever since came to wizard101 (now there perfect stat get immunity) now immunity ruin ~_~ because armor pierce and I had one wish and I would make new PvP world (ONLY FOR: Private, Corporal, Sergeant, Veteran)

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
JustinFrostHunter on Dec 26, 2015 wrote:
wouldn't matter and I would rather just get rid of rank pvp THEN the gear (not try get warlord badge ever since came to wizard101 (now there perfect stat get immunity) now immunity ruin ~_~ because armor pierce and I had one wish and I would make new PvP world (ONLY FOR: Private, Corporal, Sergeant, Veteran)
Some people actually spent money on PvP, and getting rid of it would be a bad idea. If you don't enjoy it, avoid it.

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
first off, wizard101 pvp is not or ever can be fair. turn based games like wizard101 cannot have a fair pvp system.
second. the under lvl 60 the pvp gear is king, above that well you start getting into needing critical, block and pierce so the pvp gear is no longer king.
third. they have good pets because they put the time and money into getting pets. they got the gear because they put the time and effort into getting the gear.

pay to win means paying real life money for advantages you cannot get through gear grinds. on that concept there is no pay to win in this game, it doesn't matter what gear you have, as long as you have the right focus on stats you are viable.

Survivor
Oct 05, 2009
The PvP Warlord gear is most certainly not the be-all and end-all gear. There a plenty of gear options around, some as strong as the Warlord gear.

The Level 56 Crafted Grizzleheim gear is almost as strong as the Warlord gear. It sacrifices defense in favour of attack. The Warlord gear is still superior, but not by much. For the Hat, Robes and Boots, you get 44% Life Attack and 15% (yes, this is a lot less) Defense. Compared to the 33% Attack and 40% Defense on the Warlord gear.

So, for the Centaur. It averages out at 555 damage. So, with one Lifeblade, the calculation goes:

555 x 1.4 x 1.44 x 0.6 = 671 damage. So compared to the 500 you stated earlier, this is already an improvement, and this isn't even properly done up.

With Lifeblade, Spirit Blade, Amplify and Gargantuan;

(555 + 225) x 1.4 x 1.44 x 1.35 x 1.15 x 0.6 = 1464 damage. Now this is a proper hit. They won't last too long under this without some shields.

Warlords do greater damage with the Centaur in this situation because of the superior defense being of greater benefit than greater attack power. But it isn't too much stronger.

The other pieces of Glendemming's gear don't really benefit combat stats in any large way, so the gap can be closed a bit more with strong gear in the form of the Amulet (sort of), Ring and Athame.

Waterworks gear is also good, although it is very difficult to get (and just above your level).

So the solution to this is to close the gear discrepancy by increasing your own power instead of lowering theirs.

As for pets, that took LOTS of hard work to get them using heals and buffing up the owner's stats. You can do this as well, good pets aren't some Warlord voodoo. But they are important if you want to reach the upper echelons of PvP rankings.

In higher levels, there are some pieces of gear that outright beat Warlord gear. If you want to PvP, get to higher levels, get gear that beats Warlord gear. If you get really serious, Castle Darkmoor gear destroys most other gear pieces.

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
PvP gear such as the commander robe is a very coveted piece of equipment. It is stylish, powerful for low level wizards, and is pretty much the most appealing looking robe in the game. Everyone and their dog has one, people want it to feel powerful, to feel special. The robe itself to some players and a big reason why it is so popular is because it is declaration of skill against others in the arena. It commemorates their triumph and skill as players in wizard101 over others. Players who have worked hard to rank up and get the warlord badge have every right to special benefits in the arena such as gear, they earned it plain and simple. A lot of people pvp just to get the robe because of how it looks not for its stats. And if you think that pvp gear is too powerful you haven't seen anything yet. The waterworks, hades, and darkmoor gear all far exceed the power of what pvp gear is capable of. If you want to succeed in the arena the trick is to not think but adapt to your opponent. There is no set way to win in pvp, no organized tactic that will always go the same way because you are fighting a person not a computer. Just make a targeted outcome as to how you want to defeat your opponent with a spell like centaur and work your way around the obstacles your opponent throws at you thats how you gain more skill.

Mason Greenbane Prodigious

Explorer
Dec 12, 2012
Guys, we are getting gear out of the game sooner or later, or, you guys should. This is getting way out of hand! When lvl 5 spammers are trying to get a warlord rank way back, and now they are lvl 77, same lvl as me, and then they totally just kill me Just because of that stupid gear!

STATS:
----------
The stats are way to high, too Seriously, I mean look:
Lvl 10- 140 , +3 power pop chance, +6 damage, +2 accuracy. Way to high. 30+ starts pierce even! And +50 starts crit! This pro gear should be taken out of the game.
(Gear was hat)
KatieLifeSword

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014
Ashley the Wizard on Dec 13, 2015 wrote:
Okay, I've been wanting to get this out for a while. There's two sections here: a rant, and a logical argument. I recommend you read both

Why I'm frustrated:

I have 0 wins and 14 losses on my newest Life wizard. I've tried every single good strategy I'm capable of at least twice on separate days, each time going in feeling confident.

I'm level 58 right now. I have a good deck with cards like tower, feint, and life dispel. I have enchants and auras. I even stoop to a new low and stack my side deck with weavers, infections, weaknesses and towers. I have some of the best non-PvP gear for my level.

It doesn't matter if I spend the entire match carefully planning everything out; maintaining a pip advantage, shielding, blading, and all the other important things. PvP warlords are INVINCIBLE to privates. Even the ones who are a quarter of my level (which I'm paired with at least 80% of the time) have pets which heal them to full after my fully bladed and enchanted Centaur hits them for a whopping 500 damage.

It always ends with the blades they've accumulated coming at me in the form of a tc 50+ levels above theirs (e.g. Efreet or Snow Angel) and then it's game over for me.

There is no way to win. I'm confident I'm not alone in this. I'm 99% sure everyone who got up to warlord paid for gear so they could win against the warlords, and then when they got there, they were rewarded with their even more overpowered gear that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

But pay2win is a whole other rant that I will probably write next. Now it's time for a less frustrated and more logical argument.

Why it's unfair:

First, before I start really attacking PvP, let me a backup point: any good PvP game should be fair. Both people should have the same chance of winning, and the wit of each player should be the deciding factor of each win. A balanced game is a fun game. Right?

With that in mind, in a rating system like in Wizard101's, a higher rank usually means higher skill and experience with the competitive aspect of the game. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that somebody with higher skill is able to win way more often than people with less skill.

With THAT in mind, here's the point I need to make, which couldn't be more frustratingly obvious. Why are the higher ranked and supposedly more skilled players being given exclusive gear with incredible stats? Shouldn't people more experienced with PvP have a progressively harder time as they climb the ladder? That's how most games work; the higher up you get, the more effort you need to put into winning.

However, since Wizard101 does the exact opposite, it's hardest when you are starting out, and easiest when you're already way up there. A warlord against a private is not only an unfair match-up because of the skill difference, but the wizard with the most skill also has insane stats that the private can't even come close to.

It's obvious what needs to change. Get your act together, Kingsisle, please. For the players?
ok so i don't and do agree read all of my post any new poster and old one and the guy who made this

i agree we shouldn't get rid of pvp gear because player have worked hard for it and a lot of players would be upset and the players with the gear you can't just take it away from them so what i thinking maybe a little bit of a nerf were states are lowered a little that way its more fair to other players

now as for the ranking here how i see it should be done privateers should vs privateers till there about to hit the next rank once they hit the next rank they should battle a person of the next rank to see if there ready and there enemy should be no higher then 5 level above them that way we don't have a level 15 vs a level 30 because right now that can happen with the system they have set up its needs to be chang just a little so its more fair for everyone and even out

as for warlord i think warlord who have past the rank for reaching warlord should have to vs there rank but higher then them and if there nobody higher then them then a rank of a warlord close to theirs so say you have 159 wins and the other warlord had 160 wins that would be a fair match

finely i think kingly needs to adjust all school so some of the balance can be restored to the game in pvp and if your about to say nothing need adjusting leave it alone well your wrong and i calling you out for it right here because i talked to all my friends and some random players and they all say the same thing pvp is so mess up that they don't even wanna do it and the ones that do wanna pvp try to stay within there school spells because they feel like its a little fair then instead of completely insane and i sorry but i wanna get to max level and become a pvp warlord so i would really like to see a pvp based update only before the next world or new spells or anything else new comes out but i not getting my hopes up its past time just like its past time that pirate101 got a update

Survivor
Dec 16, 2010
Here is one suggestion, Don't pick life that simple.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
When I learned to play the piano my class consisted of two parts. Theory and practice.

To apply that methodology here don't just practice, you need some theory too. That consists of watching matches. I've spent many hours watching warlord life players vs. every other school. What spells they used, the types of pets worn, when they played their cards, how to predict. This helped me to hone my strategy and I'm sure it will help you too.

If other people can do it, so can you.