Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes to Critical Hit and Critical Block system

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 30, 2013
Professor Drake on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
Greetings, students. I would like to take some time to comment on the recent adjustments made to the Critical and Block system. As many of you are aware, we made significant changes to the system and how it works. These changes were not made lightly. I want to assure you that we would not have made these changes if we did not feel they were absolutely necessary. With this in mind, the system will not be reverted to the way it was in the past.

If it wasn’t made clear before, this is how the new system works: The attacker will roll to see if they score a Critical Hit. If the attack is a Critical, then the defender will roll to see if they successfully Block the Critical hit. Because this is working differently than how it was calculated before, some of you will notice a change in your chance to score a Critical Hit or Block.

Please give it a try and see the how the changes impact your gameplay in practice. We take your feedback very seriously (both positive and negative). We read the forums here and on other sites. Based on feedback we have already received, we are looking at tweaking some numbers to improve scores at certain points in the level curve. Overall, we want a healthy game where players are having fun. We will continue to monitor player feedback and your progression through the game.
Congratulations, everyone has already experienced everything with this system, and the results are destructive. You just lost more costumers who are my friends in the game. I don't even think that I will continue with this game anymore. Even P101 is better, at least they didn't make any changes that ruin the game.

Explorer
Sep 26, 2012
Hi,
thanks a lot Pr Drake for your feedback!!!
many players were worried KingsIsle wasn't listening to the community on that matter

but I need a little more clarification to be really sure, correct me if I'm wrong:
as seen here and confirmed by Pr Greyrose :
https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/my-idea-for-simplifying-the-criticalblock-system-8ad6a41650f5d54b015120e495fd1fda?page=1
I understand that, with the new system, there isn't a ratio anymore between hitter's Critical and target's Block
meaning, Block has the last word in the calculation, therefore, 100% will mean Immune to Critical
then, at some point, Critical will be irrelevant while, in the old system, we could always upgrade Critical or Block endlessly (even beyond 100%) to counterbalance one another

it seems we already can get close to that 100% Block as seen here :
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?456440-New-crit-system-a-change-for-the-worse&p=5224325#post5224325
just by adding a pet with Block talents, universal Block Jewels, etc, some players will probably be able to reach 100% Block (or will in the next world with better gear)
to me, the new system seems already stuck, not a long term system that can stay forever
with that new system, I would recommend players to just improve their Block and focus on Damage+Resist stats like we did when Critical wasn't reliable some time ago and forget about Critical forever
am I right?

another point to clarify :
why there isn't an official conversion table somewhere to let anyone knows exactly how work point vs. % with Critical/Block?
that would make the system (old or new) more comprehensible for everyone

window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

Survivor
Jun 30, 2013
Greetings, students. I would like to take some time to comment on the recent adjustments made to the Critical and Block system. As many of you are aware, we made significant changes to the system and how it works. These changes were not made lightly. I want to assure you that we would not have made these changes if we did not feel they were absolutely necessary. With this in mind, the system will not be reverted to the way it was in the past.

If it wasn’t made clear before, this is how the new system works: The attacker will roll to see if they score a Critical Hit. If the attack is a Critical, then the defender will roll to see if they successfully Block the Critical hit. Because this is working differently than how it was calculated before, some of you will notice a change in your chance to score a Critical Hit or Block.

Please give it a try and see the how the changes impact your gameplay in practice. We take your feedback very seriously (both positive and negative). We read the forums here and on other sites. Based on feedback we have already received, we are looking at tweaking some numbers to improve scores at certain points in the level curve. Overall, we want a healthy game where players are having fun. We will continue to monitor player feedback and your progression through the game.
After thinking, I see that I have to summarize all the problems to make you understand our problem.
First, PvP, of course. It was extremely broken before, and now it's even worse and this time it's for ALL levels. Formerly, the 'broken' part was mostly for exalted PvP. Please understand that WE are the ones who play and understand it and we know very well what could affect it either negatively or positively.
PvE was very perfect until this happened. Yes, now soloing is impossible for some schools. Please don't say anything about trying it out, because I did. Storm is literally impossible to solo against bosses, even in Khrysalis. Malistaire the Undying the other major problem along with the other bosses who are very powerful. We don't have to say why.
Life is now R-U-I-N-E-D, both school and our lives in the spiral itself. The only thing that made is special was it's ability to critical heals. Not to mention that a lot of possible damage spells were sacrificed for heals that aren't very special now. Wings of Fate being the worse spell ever adds up to this problem.
Low levels are now having to struggle because level-wise, the bosses there are harder than in Polaris. And I am NOT asking for health reductions.
Imagine a Storm dying in the Grandmaster Winterbane. I did. They spammed criticals on us all and even I, the exalted wizard, died.
Those problems are the ones on the top of my head. There are more. One more note: Please make the PvP gear USABLE for it's rank. Ever since the 3rd age came, previous overlords dominated new PvP'ers with their commander and Glendemming gear. It seriously needs the limitations.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
You have changed the rules far too late in the game. As others have already stated, this has essentially voided all their hard work in respect to gear, and more importantly crowns expenditures. Worst of all, it was thrust upon the masses, even with a flood of complaints on test. I understand that from time to time changes need to be made, but this was done very poorly. Many good posts were made about how to deal with this situation, and gave voice to concerns, but they went pretty much unheeded until now. Had you addressed member concerns in a more timely manner, then perhaps this brouhaha could have been avoided.
I love this game, I truly do, but too many times have members tolerated situations here that shouldn't have happened, but they did. I wish you well, and hope you have learned from your mistakes, but I can't support a game who to me at least doesn't seem to support its members. Fare well.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2012
More like chances for bosses to critical from Celestia through Khrysalis/Darkmoor need to be drastically reduced. I've been attempting to help some friends with Graveyard and we've not even passed Yevgeny yet because he and his minions are criticaling every round, and those criticals are landing, even with all 4 of us using conviction. The changes work perfectly in Polaris, but you step back even just 1 world, its a massive spike in difficulty. And because of that, spell quests are much harder to do than before, and gear will nearly be impossible to farm now. Its almost like they undid the nerf they did to the second arc creatures with Khrysalis, and this needs to change, badly.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2012
To be honest I am sort of fond of the new critical system, it is just that the enemies haven't been effected, making PvE harder. I also dislike how the critical and critical block chances have been decreased significantly.

My suggestion is that the critical chance be increased back to where it was before, but instead of cutting off 20%+, maybe 10% should be cut off. Same thing for the new block.

I like where you guys are going, but I dislike how I went from 35% to 5% critical chance. For this new system to work I do see how you need to lower the block and critical chance, but I think this is a little drastic.

Maybe you wouldn't even need to decrease the block or critical chance since the old critical system didn't really work with a "rolling the dice" sort of mechanic as even then people would block and critical less, since as I remember, if I had 35% block, I blocked almost all criticals.

Another suggestion is to do what I suggested before but also decrease the maximum amount of block and critical chance you can get from gear so that if someone wants to get the best critical or block they have to do quite a bit of sacrificing of stats like damage or resist. Maybe even make getting 100% block or critical chance impossible.

Also there shouldn't be any sort of decay where you lose critical and block when you are a higher level. I personally think that that is not a good way of balancing the system.

I really like how you guys are trying to make the critical system better, but it seems you guys took a turn and went the wrong direction. Again I like the new system, but I don't like how critical chance and block is decreased, and maybe if you tried removing the decrease, people would like it.

Otherwise from that I loved everything from the update and I think you guys are great taking some feedback like this.

- Alexander Silverblood

Survivor
Jun 29, 2012
This makes total sense, but what I don't understand is why did KI decrease the chances of criticaling and blocking by so much, just raise up the stat's the higher the level! these bosses in Polaris, Khrysalis, Azteca and even Avalon are beating me down and I can't defend myself with this new system, raise up the critical and blocking stats! There was nothing wrong with the way the system worked before, i've heard of no complains about the old way this worked but I've heard many complaints about this new one, if other players are complaining that they can't block, then get better gear that gives you more block! Hope KI acknowledges the players don't think this "balancing system" isn't working. My advice, change it back or at least raise the players stats more to give us a fighting chance.

Survivor
Oct 31, 2010
This system has just ruined PvP. Unless our chance to block is raised there is no point in PvPing anymore, and most people will leave. Now pretty much if someone critical's in PvP you have hardly any chance of blocking. Even though they are still very common, this idea needs to go or PvP is done. We need a system that balances both PvP and PvE. I don't understand how changing it for us to basically never block was an absolutely necessary change. The PvP community makes up a very large amount of people that play this game, and it isn't fair that the new system has been made with literally no thought about us.

Survivor
May 12, 2012
Zekrr on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
The only things I see that are needed to be done, is that our chance of Blocking needs to significantly increase, and the ratio between Critical and Block being a factor in deciding if you block or not needs to return. Critical's are still very common in both PvP and PvE. Especially in level 60 PvP, due to no decrease in what Critical counts for. So if the two above things are not done, PvE and PvP will continue to be a huge mess of Critical's commonly happening and not being Blocked. Even if you lower Critical even more, having our chances of blocking being low is not a very good idea, if our block is close to the opponents amount of Critical, we deserve to block more often than not. And I am not just making this stuff up, I have seen it for myself. I have been testing it in the arena, and I can say I have not blocked a single Critical, even though they are still very common. And this is just not fair. I would say that if our chance of Block were to be increased by a decent amount, this new system would be perfect. Randomness and variation cannot be a factor in something as major as Critical.
This is very similar with what I had in mind. I believe the current system is very nice but the old would be preferred by me. That's just because as a life, I like to see critical heals but that's it.
I don't mind adjusting to the new systems at all, and I think this might be better than the old system since now it will not be as troublesome if your critical is not high enough than your opponent's block. But like you mentioned Prof. Drake, the values are a bit too low and that's what I believe is disappointing many players. For example, with current system 270+ block is not much at all and would be <30%. That chance of blocking is very low and very hard to handle when your opponent who would land through you, especially with high ranked spells(I.E Glowbug Squall). I still struggle with many criticals even with 50% of blocking. That is about 350 block rating, and I believe that is a lot higher than average on Wizard101, Polaris questers. That's with me sacrificing a lot of critical to achieve it and still hold decent stats on damage, resistant, and etc. I think if this is going the way it is, it will comes to where you would have to pick one or the other. Critical or Block. It would be very hard to try to find the middle line, because your critical would be too low of a chance to actually critical in sanctification, and same with block.
So like you mentioned, maybe the values just need an increase for a better chance.

A bit of a disclaimer, these percentage numbers are from the top of my head. They may not be completely correct but they do stand somewhere to the real value with rating accordingly.

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
I don't want to be the special snowflake in this topic (because I am not) but I honestly think this system is... perfect for the game. I used to be against it, but with the new understanding of it, I now realize it's better.

Having a dice/randomness system for the critical and block system is very useful in this game. This, as how the creator's intended, is making the player's actually think instead of just randomly attacking. Of course, this would come off very strong to many player's who were completely adjusted to just attacking withought using their heads. This new system makes us use our heads, and of course this would come off as a punch in the gut for many players.

But not everything is ice cream and candy for this system. Being honest, the fact that it lowers as you progress and that since the 18th of november a lot of players lost a big chunk in their critical is worrying but logical. Changing to a percentage system is very good, but making that percentage lower as you progress is a big no no. I think as you progress the boost should just maintain itself instead of lowering.

Another thing is the fact that most enemy's aren't being affected by it. How come they can critical like before and we can't? Honestly this is making soloing difficult

My conlcusions would be these.

1. This system is for the better good, and even if it might come of as rock hit to the face, that rock has a diamond inside.
  2. Loosing a chunk of critical is painful for many, but might be beneficial in the long run. Remember that if you have 47% of critical, 47 out of 100 chances you will critical, which doesn't sound that bad (I personally don't feel that much of a change since i'm lvl 48). Same with the block.
  3. Lowering the block and the critical as you progess is just no. If anything, it should stay the same as you progress and only change if the gear changes.
  4. Enemy's should be affected more. Please.

This is what i deduce from other player's testimonies.

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 48

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
Before a major part of this game was knowledge of the game. Now it's luck.

Survivor
Jan 26, 2013
I'm done,I have been playing for fore years now and have had a good time.i spent a lot of money let me tell you,but now with this new system in place I am pulling my hair out.I played p.v.p. today for the first time since the updates,and was very disappointed.I am a grand master death warlord with a 2168 rating,and went against a 63 ice warlord with a 1174 rating.Not a problem.I know how to win most the time against such odds considering the health difference.But when going against him twice in a row and me having conviction up and running his critical still went through for the win both times.his critical was 133, and with conviction up I had over 200 block. It seems to me the random number generator on this new system is very flawed for that to happen twice in a row.I don't think you guys have made up for the level differentials.please let me know when you fix this so i can come back and play my favorite game.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2012
Ok so it's one thing to kill the critical, but now this is insane, they added so much critical gear but now no one has no critical block! Not only do we not have critical block but now bosses kill us really easily! I am lvl 110 right now, I have 138 block do you know how much in percentage that is? It's actually 1% that's insane instead of having this block rating we need to have just straight up percentages because to be honest it's confusing for one, and our block is going down as we level, and the gear isn't helping! King Isle is making us lower our block, and they're trying to manipulate us by doing so by increasing our critical and damage, but some wizards want to be balanced. They're lowering our block and our resist and even our piercing. The new boots don't give critical block, they have no pierce, and to be honest, one critical and we're all dead. the new wands don't give enough critical or critical block as well. As i said they're focusing all on damage and that alone, they're lowering our block attempting to raise our critical just a bit so that we have 50-60% critical and it's a really bad idea.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
Is it just me or does it seem like obtaining a higher level just makes you weaker? how does anyone think this is a great idea. It seems like the dev drank some bad coffee at work and immediately took it out on the game. I do not understand how any of this makes any sense to anyone running these game. I went from 81% critical to 61% and mind you i crafted this gear. I love soloing the game. I am not one to go crying all day help me help me help me. This just isnt me. I gave up all block to pull this off, but i pushed for 100%+ accuracy guaranteeing I would not miss. I am death I depend alot of my drains when soloing the game. I could most of the time care less if they landed a critical or not because I would refill on the next turn, using crow or enchanted bats. I called the build I was going the "glass cannon" build I was rather proud of it. I went from buying all your bundles, about 100-200k crowns a month and all to obtain certain things all to be penalized 7 years later. I have been here since this game started and honestly this isnt even my only account. If you are going to add a new system to the game how about taking in consideration fixing all the gear you have in the game to fit your new system. This gear does not add up to whats going on. It would make one think that maybe you do not understand your own game, or you are not willing to fix all the gear because of the time spent on doing it. Once again how do you go from pulling off a critical at level 80 thats better than someone at level 110. I think I will just stay my current level of 88 until you realize what you have done. I am very disappointed how you have just thrown this in our laps and then gave some lackluster explanation of it. How about getting more interactive with the community and actually getting involved with youtube as well and talk this stuff over with your players. WE all HATE this new update that alone should tell you something. honestly not one person who likes feeling weaker!

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
Intrepidatius on Nov 21, 2015 wrote:
You have changed the rules far too late in the game. As others have already stated, this has essentially voided all their hard work in respect to gear, and more importantly crowns expenditures. Worst of all, it was thrust upon the masses, even with a flood of complaints on test. I understand that from time to time changes need to be made, but this was done very poorly. Many good posts were made about how to deal with this situation, and gave voice to concerns, but they went pretty much unheeded until now. Had you addressed member concerns in a more timely manner, then perhaps this brouhaha could have been avoided.
I love this game, I truly do, but too many times have members tolerated situations here that shouldn't have happened, but they did. I wish you well, and hope you have learned from your mistakes, but I can't support a game who to me at least doesn't seem to support its members. Fare well.
That sums it up pretty well, and I feel the same. I also will be moving on. So sad that it has come to this. I also wish you well though. Good bye.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
I would like to say that, while I agree with everyone here, I do like the fact that KI and their staff are A) taking risks and making changes and B) listening to and encouraging player feedback. I have little doubt in my mind that this new critical system was considered very, very carefully before implementation. And I do like the philosophy behind the change: that there should be one roll for critical and one roll for block.

However, block is too difficult to acquire (and acquiring it often means sacrificing a lot of other statistics) and once you do acquire block, it is still not usually helpful.

Furthermore, enemies are executing critical attacks too often. Even a high resistance is not enough to save you after a while.

I really don't want to come across as reactionary or seem like I am against change. I'm not. At least, I like to think that I'm not. I'm just really, really, struggling in the game and it has completely wrecked my main myth wizard.

Someone previously mentioned taking out the critical and the block and all of that stuff entirely. I like that idea. Emphasis on strategy and style, not gear and numbers, you know?

Survivor
Feb 18, 2011
JohnJSal on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
"Please give it a try and see the how the changes impact your gameplay in practice. We take your feedback very seriously (both positive and negative). We read the forums here and on other sites. Based on feedback we have already received, we are looking at tweaking some numbers to improve scores at certain points in the level curve. Overall, we want a healthy game where players are having fun. We will continue to monitor player feedback and your progression through the game."

The past two days have been a flood of complaints for how the new system seems to be working in the old worlds. Basically, that we obviously notice the difference in our new stats, but that old world bosses (and even regular enemies) don't seem to have been adjusted. They still crit often and we almost never block now. And in my experience, the few times that I do crit, they still get blocked every time. On top of that, there doesn't seem to be any way to increase these stats as we level up, because there is no new gear at these levels to make up for the drop in stats that we saw with the updated system.

I do hope you are reading and taking seriously what everyone is saying. Asking us to "give it a try and see how the changes impact your gameplay" almost sounds like a joke, as if that isn't what we've been doing for two (now three) days.

I hope you will consider this thread especially, as it gives many examples and details of what we think is still wrong:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?456440-New-crit-system-a-change-for-the-worse
Three Days plus all of test realm where we also complained and told KI to revert back to the original system like they should have but didn't.

I feel like they changed from the old system that had a long longevity to a new system which has no longevity, for absolutely no reason. There's also no balance here, theoretically someone with 99% crit could be blocked with someone with 1% block and vice versa? Is that called balanced? What about all the time and money we spent on the gear for the old system does that have no value?

This update has seen the largest exodus of players, a time I feel.

And I ask you this KI was it worth it? Losing your reputation and players, was it really worth all of this for a system you'll have to change come the next world update or the one after that? Was it really worth it when you could have kept a system that had good longevity and that needed minor tweaks? Was it really worth it?

Survivor
Feb 10, 2011
I usually play the game solo (I'm a grown up with grown up responsibilities so I tend to play at odd hours) and the new update has significantly reduced the fun factor in the game.

As a solo player who doesn't care for PvP, even in Azteca, I walk into an instance with a boss already max power pips and a minion (sometimes 2) very near max pips. One critical from the boss, another from the minion, no block and my health is melted turn one.

The rest of the time is spent using pips to heal which means I can't attack. Meanwhile, boss and minions are hitting turn after turn after turn. Get a decent pip level to maybe attack next round, nope, another critical that is unblocked. Time to spend pips on healing - again.

The pet that was supposed to be "adjusted" is near useless for healing and I can never attack since I'm casting spells, using pips, trying to stay alive. I am a subscriber, I shouldn't have to buy crowns to keep buying crown minions just to play the game that shouldn't be this difficult for solo players because of changes made to the critical system.

Before the change, even on the rare occasion of a mob critical, that was a guaranteed block. Now, you can die to mobs (not even bosses) while doing storyline questing because they critical but I don't block anymore while my pet sits watching the clouds go by.

The critical / block situation needs to be fixed or should be removed from the game completely, at all levels.

-Mob critical should be an auto critical block
-Pet should heal automatically each time player sustains a critical hit
-Block chance percentage needs to be higher

I hope the game can be fun to play again. Dying over and over again as a solo player because you have no chance to block criticals or even less chance to critical yourself is not fun.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
This is the part of the message board for ideas to improve the game, and this is a way...

Bring back the old block and critical, I understand you were only trying to fix the brokenness. Thing is, you made critical and block even more broken. My friend and I were in pagoda, he has 115 block and is lvl 66. I have 365 block and is max death (110). He blocks a critical, and I DONT. How does that even work, you tried to fix the block and critical to make it less chance. Its even more chance, some of my friends irl even have quit the game until this update is reverted back. I'm speaking for them, me, and a lot of other people out there. You listened to us about fixing Winged Sorrow, and the storm one, and Wings of Fate being buffed yes. Thing is, I would take all of those back if you fixed this update. Its not even fun anymore when your block and critical doesn't matter. My other max storm friend (110) who has 800-900 critical. He only has around 80% block or so. How is that realistic. That's like really really broken. On top of that, you decreased the chance for mobs to critical in Polaris yes? Not in Darkmoor. They critical just as much, making it impossible. If you want to stick to this way, at least make it so Darkmoor isn't broken. On top of that, you just made 100-110 PVP even more broken than it was. You trying to fix something, caused it to be worse. I'm really mad, and thinking about quitting as well. Bring back the old way, this will fix the game so much. Best idea ever am I right.....

Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
Prince of Shadows on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
1- Please restore block and crit back to the levels they were, or close. Defensive builds should block most bosses. Max level offensive builds should crit most or all of the time. You've just made farming and mob grinding harder, and negated the last two years of upgrades. That hurts, and makes the game less fun.

2- crit in low level PvP is still out of hand. Please set critical 'off' under level 40 or 50 in the arena. In the old system, a small bit of block would stop a small bit of crit, so low levels with any block had at least a chance against a quad crit pet and pack wands. Now there is almost none.
I agree with level 1. I am thinking actually about quitting the game for the new block and critical reasons. I'm really really angry and so are my friends.

Survivor
Jul 20, 2014
The changes are terrible. Two days ago I was helping somebody farm Cronus and after four turns I would have 3500-4000 hit points. Now at that same point in the battles I'm having 800 hit points every time. I'm around 250 critical rating and block.

It's unplayable right now-why did I put all that time and effort into my Wizard just to have you people make him much weaker? I'm seriously considering cancelling my subscriptions if it doesn't get better soon

Survivor
Oct 19, 2012

Uh drake? I kinda love this feature but one problem: I have no block on my ice Just critical (why did i ever use that drop gear?) We need block and critical slow increase starting from level 50. According to school it will either be faster or slower(ice being fastest and storm being slowest.) They will start from zero from level 49 and below, and 1 from 50, then increase by 1.5 for all other schools, 2 for ice and 1.25 for storm. Just a recommendation :D

-Tarlac SeaSpear(78 )
-Tarlac SwiftRunner(9)
-Seth Dragonsword(27?)

Survivor
Dec 27, 2009
I for one don't understand that if our voices count soooooooooo much, why are they not listening to us??? I really love this game and have played for like 6 years. Why does it take hundreds of people to tell KI to change things back??? I thought that our voices counted for something?? I worked my tail off for my critical and block and now my hard work is garbage.

I spent months and months getting what I had and now its gone. I guess I wasted my time and hard earned money for nothing. Why do we have to suffer for your mistakes on this game??? I am not putting more money into this game until its fixed. I am very disappointed now!!

Survivor
Feb 25, 2011
Could it be possible for KI to Alternate the PVP Critical system to the current and put the PVE to the old one? It would help the players who normally quests by themselves. It would be a win-win if people are wanting a new critical system for pvp and the old system for the players who pve.

Chris Mythtalon- Master of

Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
Just to throw my 2 cents out there

I am very happy with the new changes to the critical and block system, its a LOT more balanced and im getting the feeling they are trying to redo it just like it was first implemented in Celestia. you had a LOW chance of scoring a critical and the enemy had a LOW chance of blocking it, it was more of a "cherry on top" bonus to combat compared to today's "this better critical or else!" kinda montage i have seen lately, yes im looking at you storm and fire people, who can go over 100% critical rating with ease (sorry other schools who have already, i just see these 2 a LOT)

Old system notes
critical was ~600 cap
and the way it was set up, every 1% you had OVER 100 would take away from the opponents PERCENT chance of blocking
say 105% against opponent 40% well now they have 35%,
this is not bad and all, except when vengeance is thrown in there (20/25/30% bonus) then the blockers rating goes to 15/10/5% chance to block, this was getting really hectic for blockers and it seemed conviction was the only way of saving them at some points

with the NEW system notes
your critical rating is based on its own system and block has its own system like Drake said,
critical: crit rating determines critical
block: IF critical happens, chance to block it

so in the basic terms: critical is HARDER to get, but more REWARDING to players who get it