Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chronomancy a new spell school

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 15, 2009
A support based secondary school whose aim is to manipulate the outcome of a battle by directly or indirectly influencing spells that are cast. The school contains no direct damage, instead modifying outgoing and incoming damage, healing, buffs and debuffs. This school will be PvE only, meaning many of the spells will not be taken into the Arena. This is so that the arena can remain as fair and balanced as possible without causing any unnecessary stress and unfairness from higher leveled players.

Now the all important question. Who will be trainer of this school of magic? Well obviously Merle Ambrose himself. Our prestigious headmaster is known to be quite a powerful wizard in his own right, having mastered schools of magic that we haven't even learned about yet. And as we continue to grow and become stronger it's become apparent that his beloved students may be ready to take on one particular school of magic he has been debating bringing into the academy's requirements of graduation.

I'm talking about Chronomancy or Time magic.

In order to begin Wizards need to be at least level 40 and have completed Bad Blood (the entry quest into Dragonspyre)

Now before any new magic can be bestowed upon a wizard, a test must be given to determine if they are ready to learn.

What better way than to have the wizard tested against a particularly powerful warlock who has taken residence in Mooshu's village of Sorrows.

With the completion of this quest you are given your first chronomancy card

Resonate- (PvE Only)
Cost: 2 Pips

Description:

When cast this will create an aura that will Block 50% of the next incoming attack, following this 25% of the damage will be returned to the attacker.

Additional Info:
You may only have one active Resonate aura at any time, attempts to cast another on the same wizard will remove the current aura and reapply it.

Right now this is just a section of what I have been working on. I felt like outside of the celestial schools we really didn't have much in the way of a support magic that can be accessed by all wizards.

I know the idea is a bit rough, but It takes time to craft a decent idea and I welcome any critique or ideas on potential spells.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Samuel Wolfe on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
A support based secondary school whose aim is to manipulate the outcome of a battle by directly or indirectly influencing spells that are cast. The school contains no direct damage, instead modifying outgoing and incoming damage, healing, buffs and debuffs. This school will be PvE only, meaning many of the spells will not be taken into the Arena. This is so that the arena can remain as fair and balanced as possible without causing any unnecessary stress and unfairness from higher leveled players.

Now the all important question. Who will be trainer of this school of magic? Well obviously Merle Ambrose himself. Our prestigious headmaster is known to be quite a powerful wizard in his own right, having mastered schools of magic that we haven't even learned about yet. And as we continue to grow and become stronger it's become apparent that his beloved students may be ready to take on one particular school of magic he has been debating bringing into the academy's requirements of graduation.

I'm talking about Chronomancy or Time magic.

In order to begin Wizards need to be at least level 40 and have completed Bad Blood (the entry quest into Dragonspyre)

Now before any new magic can be bestowed upon a wizard, a test must be given to determine if they are ready to learn.

What better way than to have the wizard tested against a particularly powerful warlock who has taken residence in Mooshu's village of Sorrows.

With the completion of this quest you are given your first chronomancy card

Resonate- (PvE Only)
Cost: 2 Pips

Description:

When cast this will create an aura that will Block 50% of the next incoming attack, following this 25% of the damage will be returned to the attacker.

Additional Info:
You may only have one active Resonate aura at any time, attempts to cast another on the same wizard will remove the current aura and reapply it.

Right now this is just a section of what I have been working on. I felt like outside of the celestial schools we really didn't have much in the way of a support magic that can be accessed by all wizards.

I know the idea is a bit rough, but It takes time to craft a decent idea and I welcome any critique or ideas on potential spells.
Interesting concept but I have a couple of questions:
(If what you're proposing is similar to Sun/Star spells then some of the following questions are moot)
-Would a wizard start out with one of the basic seven schools?
-After reaching level 40 would the Chronomancy option be a choice or automatic?
-If it's a choice, would you then, after level 40, no longer be able to gain new spells from your original school?
-Would these spells cost training points?
-With your "Resonate" spell, would the 50% Block be in addition to gear/pet resists?
-How would re-directed damage be affected by gear/pet damage boosts and would it utilize Balance blades, traps etc.?

Since we're talking about a time-relevant concept here, how about a spell that would cause a repeat of the previous round, in essence a bubble in time that would allow a sequence of events to start over with a possibly different outcome? Let's say for instance an aura effect that could give a percentage chance to trigger a single repeat after a negative event like a fizzle or a critical block. This could have either a positive or negative outcome. In the case of a fizzle obviously the desired outcome would be no fizzle but there would be no guarantee. In the case of an untimely critical block the outcome could be dramatically different... you could fizzle. So basically you take your chance by casting this spell.

Historian
May 15, 2009
TucsonWizard on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
Interesting concept but I have a couple of questions:
(If what you're proposing is similar to Sun/Star spells then some of the following questions are moot)
-Would a wizard start out with one of the basic seven schools?
-After reaching level 40 would the Chronomancy option be a choice or automatic?
-If it's a choice, would you then, after level 40, no longer be able to gain new spells from your original school?
-Would these spells cost training points?
-With your "Resonate" spell, would the 50% Block be in addition to gear/pet resists?
-How would re-directed damage be affected by gear/pet damage boosts and would it utilize Balance blades, traps etc.?

Since we're talking about a time-relevant concept here, how about a spell that would cause a repeat of the previous round, in essence a bubble in time that would allow a sequence of events to start over with a possibly different outcome? Let's say for instance an aura effect that could give a percentage chance to trigger a single repeat after a negative event like a fizzle or a critical block. This could have either a positive or negative outcome. In the case of a fizzle obviously the desired outcome would be no fizzle but there would be no guarantee. In the case of an untimely critical block the outcome could be dramatically different... you could fizzle. So basically you take your chance by casting this spell.
Yes. this is a support school much like the astral spells of Celestia, so your wizard would start out with one of the 7 primary schools.

at level 40 you would receive a notification to go see Headmaster Ambrose, but it would be a completely optional choice whether or not to begin learning Chronomancy.

No, after level 40 you will still continue to learn new spells from your professor. as I said above it's an optional school of magic that does not have to be used if you do not wish to.

I haven't thought about how many spells in Chronomancy i'd like to see. if there are more than a handful (say 5 or 6) then I would say that training points would probably be a good idea

think of Resonate as a functioning tower shield. it would work with all your normal resistances. Things such as criticals and pierce would affect how much it blocks as well.

any damage that is reflected back at the enemy would not be affected by your own boosted damage stats. This is because the damage being dealt back at the enemy is a portion of their own attack and I feel it should not be altered by our own stats. it would feel a tad overpowered.

As for your idea. I do like the idea of an aura that would give wizards a chance to attempt a spell for a second time should their first attempt result in a fizzle. However the second cast would only work with their spell accuracy and they could fizzle a second time.

I don't however like the idea of getting a second chance at a critical hit or a critical block as I feel that would give us too much security against later bosses such as those of Darkmoore

Explorer
Sep 15, 2015
This kinda just sounds just like star school and a bit like sun school. I do think the idea of something with time as a school is a really good idea but this is already kinda a school and it doesn't relate to time at all

-Sierra Pearl

Historian
May 15, 2009
Sierra Pearl on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
This kinda just sounds just like star school and a bit like sun school. I do think the idea of something with time as a school is a really good idea but this is already kinda a school and it doesn't relate to time at all

-Sierra Pearl
well rather then simply dismiss the idea, why not suggest something as well?
two heads are better than one, and having the community come together to think of ideas for a potential new class of magic seems like great fun.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Nice! I like it, maybe in the third arc we will see something like it.
Polaris, Mirage, Empyrea, Wallaru?, Darkmoor? is my bet for the new worlds!

Explorer
Sep 15, 2015
I have an idea for how it could be related to time! Okay so it can out up blades, traps, even auras and minions, and stuff like that and they increase in power over time! Also it can decrease the power blades and traps that the other person set up. I kinda got this idea from in the last battle of Polaris(in the test realm)(my friend is exalted so she showed me the battle) the minions that Rasputin casts increase in health every round so they start with 1 then they get 10 and by then they were defeated but it might keep going up with 100 1000 etc. Anyway the school would be kind of like the astral schools but they'd be in the third arc so maybe level 110 bc Polaris is already out. It would be tought by someone in whatever world is after Polaris and you would need to spend training points on it. It would start of with a simple balance blade kinda spell that starts by putting a +10% damage then each round it increases adding another 5%. Also since it would be unfair to have like +200% there would be a limit of +65% on traps and blades. Unlike the shadow school it would use regular pips(though you can use power pips) and for the balance blade thing it would be 0 pips but later on some could be 1 or 2 and for the minions it could be pretty high. I've basically just been making this up as I'm typing it so it may seem a but unclear but this is my rough idea for a school based around time!

-Sierra Pearl

P.S. Is it okay if I make another topic of the idea that I just explained and say in it that I got the time idea from u and that there's another topic you can search up called "chronomancy a new spell school" ?

Historian
May 15, 2009
eSnowFrost on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
Nice! I like it, maybe in the third arc we will see something like it.
Polaris, Mirage, Empyrea, Wallaru?, Darkmoor? is my bet for the new worlds!
each new world of this arc we will be facing creatures of shadow, the children of old cob and as seen with the new spells of Polaris, we will be gradually incorporating shadow magic into our school

Historian
May 15, 2009
Sierra Pearl on Oct 29, 2015 wrote:
I have an idea for how it could be related to time! Okay so it can out up blades, traps, even auras and minions, and stuff like that and they increase in power over time! Also it can decrease the power blades and traps that the other person set up. I kinda got this idea from in the last battle of Polaris(in the test realm)(my friend is exalted so she showed me the battle) the minions that Rasputin casts increase in health every round so they start with 1 then they get 10 and by then they were defeated but it might keep going up with 100 1000 etc. Anyway the school would be kind of like the astral schools but they'd be in the third arc so maybe level 110 bc Polaris is already out. It would be tought by someone in whatever world is after Polaris and you would need to spend training points on it. It would start of with a simple balance blade kinda spell that starts by putting a +10% damage then each round it increases adding another 5%. Also since it would be unfair to have like +200% there would be a limit of +65% on traps and blades. Unlike the shadow school it would use regular pips(though you can use power pips) and for the balance blade thing it would be 0 pips but later on some could be 1 or 2 and for the minions it could be pretty high. I've basically just been making this up as I'm typing it so it may seem a but unclear but this is my rough idea for a school based around time!

-Sierra Pearl

P.S. Is it okay if I make another topic of the idea that I just explained and say in it that I got the time idea from u and that there's another topic you can search up called "chronomancy a new spell school" ?
So basically your idea is this.

We get a spell blade that has a low starting value of say 10 or 15% extra attack damage.During each turn if that buff has not been used it will be replaced with a stronger version of the same spell up to a max or say 50 or 60%

Another idea would be that it is an enchant which you can place on any blade buff which will cause that buff to increase in strength by increments of 5% for each turn in which the active blade is not used up to a maximum of a 20% spell damage increase.

naturally a spell like this would require a fairly substantial level to obtain otherwise it would make the Sharpen blade enchantment in Azteca obsolete which is not my intention and why I am going over each idea slowly to try to come up with a middle ground that everyone would be happy with.

Historian
May 15, 2009
The next Spell Idea:

Time Winder-
cost: 2 pips

This places an aura on the wizard and when that wizard is attacked they will gain a healing DoT that will return 45% of the damage dealt over 3 turns.

this spell acts as a bit of a buffer for schools such as Storm who have little to no health sustain or defense in the higher leveled worlds.

it can mean the difference between victory and defeat

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
One problem I would have with the reversal of the damage might be the use of traps. If I've got a Feint and a Potent Feint on an enemy, they cast a spell on me and 25% of that spell is deflected back to them, are the traps burned with that returning damage?

If traps are NOT burned, it may save a prism from being wasted when you're fighting a same school enemy if they cast a school spell. But without the damage being converted by a prism, that 25% going back to the enemy likely isn't going to amount to very much damage if they have high resistance to their own school (which is the case for most enemies). I guess that's not a big deal because it's still damage they're taking that they wouldn't have otherwise taken.

If traps ARE burned though, that's a huge waste, especially if you were stacking for a huge hit. Now you've lost your feints and a prism for 25% of a spell. Imagine if you will if the spell that was cast was a one pip Tempest with no blade buff.

Can the 50% block be pierced, or is it pierce immune?

Anyway, not trying to discourage you, just suggesting some things to consider. Even without a 50% block, I'm thinking something that offers pierce immunity is going to be valuable sooner than later... just as another suggestion.

Historian
May 15, 2009
High Five Ghost on Nov 1, 2015 wrote:
One problem I would have with the reversal of the damage might be the use of traps. If I've got a Feint and a Potent Feint on an enemy, they cast a spell on me and 25% of that spell is deflected back to them, are the traps burned with that returning damage?

If traps are NOT burned, it may save a prism from being wasted when you're fighting a same school enemy if they cast a school spell. But without the damage being converted by a prism, that 25% going back to the enemy likely isn't going to amount to very much damage if they have high resistance to their own school (which is the case for most enemies). I guess that's not a big deal because it's still damage they're taking that they wouldn't have otherwise taken.

If traps ARE burned though, that's a huge waste, especially if you were stacking for a huge hit. Now you've lost your feints and a prism for 25% of a spell. Imagine if you will if the spell that was cast was a one pip Tempest with no blade buff.

Anyway, not trying to discourage you, just suggesting some things to consider. Even without a 50% block, I'm thinking something that offers pierce immunity is going to be valuable sooner than later... just as another suggestion.
my intention was that the damage would be unaffiliated with any particular school and that the reflected damage would not break any traps or trigger any blades. As for the idea of Pierce immunity, no it wouldn't be immune. although the idea of having a spell that has an immunity to pierce is quite interesting an I would love to pick your brain on any other ideas you might have.

the reason it's not pierce immune is because this spell if incorporated would be a level 40 card and at that point pierce isn't nearly enough of a threat for it to be pierce immune simply because It can be.

Historian
May 15, 2009
I have a new spell idea I wish to post:

Chronobreak:

Cost: 4 pips
level required: 95

Effect:

This spell is one of the most known time spells I will generate an aura that will completely nullify the next incoming attack.

This spell has pierce immunity because it makes the target wizard invulnerable to the next incoming attack, However. After nullifying an attack a DoT effect is spawned dealing the wizard 100% of the attack damage over 4 turns ( so 25% each turn)

this spell is geared more towards wizard who like to play a solo style or with one or two friends helping them as they progress the story. In the later worlds such as Khrysalis we have bosses who can become extremely frustrating with the amount of damage they can put out, especially bosses who can cheat cast absurdly powerful attacks.

this is an attempt on my part to help make these later worlds a little easier by mitigating those spells into something more manageable.

Historian
May 15, 2009
Another spell idea I was thinking about the last day or so.

Chronojump
pip cost: 3

Effect: When cast it will consume a DoT effect on a wizard and cause it's total effects (or the remaining effects to occur immediately)

for instance if you were to cast it while you had a Healing over time effect, the DoT would be consumed and you'd gain the total health from all 3 turns, or the healing from the remaining turns.

however this spell can also jump Damage over time effects as well.

this spell would consume one single effect over time currently on a wizard and like blades, traps, shields, etc. it would consume the most current effect that was placed.

so if you have two DoT effects on you, then the most recent would be the one to be taken off

Explorer
Aug 13, 2013
High Five Ghost on Nov 1, 2015 wrote:

uh what part of this did you forget this was a PVP school

Explorer
Aug 13, 2013
Samuel Wolfe on Nov 6, 2015 wrote:

Chronojump

Effect: When cast it will consume a DoT effect on a wizard and cause it's total effects (or the remaining effects to occur immediately)

for instance if you were to cast it while you had a Healing over time effect, the DoT would be consumed and you'd gain the total health from all 3 turns, or the healing from the remaining turns.

this spell would consume one single effect over time currently on a wizard and like blades, traps, shields, etc. it would consume the most current effect that was placed.

so if you have two DoT effects on you, then the most recent would be the one to be taken off
i think you forgot somewhere along the way that you said this is a PVP class only

Explorer
Aug 13, 2013
Samuel Wolfe on Nov 6, 2015 wrote:

Chronojump

a pvp class that will affect the outcome of the pvp

Historian
May 15, 2009
shadowstreem on Nov 8, 2015 wrote:
a pvp class that will affect the outcome of the pvp
I respectfully ask that you not spam my thread with the same thing over and over.
it's state quit clearly in the first sentences that this school would be PVE only.

Meaning there isn't a single spell in this school if added to the game that would be allowed into PVP

Historian
May 15, 2009
New Spell Idea:

Name Wind-up

Pip cost: 2

Effect: This spell places a +30% trap on the target. When that trap is broken ( when activated by combat and not when it is cleansed off by another spell) another will be applied boosting the next attack by +40%. Once this is broken one final trap will be placed at +50% (note that even if one puts multiple copies of this trap on a single opponent, it will only break the most recently placed this is to prevent people from getting a free +30% +40% and +50% all at once.)

the idea of this spell is to encourage teamwork by having players working together to take down the enemy, with damage growing strong each time the trap returns. It would encourage players to work towards chunking the monsters that are simply too big to swat with a single attack.

Historian
May 15, 2009
Spell Idea:

Name: Time Marches Forward
pip cost: 1( debatable)

effect: when cast, this produces an aura on the target ally. on their next turn they will get another pip on top of the usual 1 per round. This pip also has a chance to be a power pip, the chance being dependent on their Power pip chance like usual.

the idea of this spell is to help nudge players into grouping and giving them ways to support each other outside of just sitting there and slapping on blades and traps for the one hit wonder all out attack against bosses and other mobs