Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Change your name/gender?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 12, 2010
Would it be possible for W101 to allow one person in each account (so it wouldn't be over used) or such, to change their gender? Or maybe their name? What about their looks from the beginning? I was thinking if we could change this but only allow it once for a person so that they wouldn't over use it?

Survivor
Jun 04, 2010
I don't think that they could really do this. One of the problems I see is people knowing you on their friends list, but what would happen if you changed your name?

Survivor
May 11, 2012
I do think it's possible, yes. Most games that allow for name changes usually show you what the player's previous name was, so that would be a non issue.

Survivor
May 11, 2012
Also, I TOTALLY support the gender changes thing! I posted a thread about this, but I know so many people who's main wizards were created many years ago with a gender contrary to their own; so, they want to change it but they can't. I don't think one time per account is thr best idea, though. Maybe one time per wizard.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
the method that people have come up with, that I agree with, is to allow a name change, but the price of that is totally wiping your friends list. the upside is getting rid of friends who you dont play with anymore, and the downside is refriending all those people. As for changing gender, no, I dont think this should be done.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
Amnerys on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
Also, I TOTALLY support the gender changes thing! I posted a thread about this, but I know so many people who's main wizards were created many years ago with a gender contrary to their own; so, they want to change it but they can't. I don't think one time per account is thr best idea, though. Maybe one time per wizard.
Woo! #equality!

I totally second the motion to have gender changes added to the game. I Mean people should be allowed to be their true selves!

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

Survivor
May 21, 2011
I play another game where you can in fact totally change the name, gender, and look of your character at any time (though I think they had a time limit of once every 6 months per character), so I don't see why wizard couldn't allow this. I think it would be a great idea and there is no need for it to have to affect your friends list.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2013
I don't really agree that this would be good. If you just changed your gender, you would still have to change your name or a lot of witches would be running around with names like Eric Soulhunter and Kevin Boompants. I also think it may negatively affect your friendships in the game. I have a lot of friends on my friends list, but I am only really close to a few of them. I am not quite as friendly at first if I do not recognize them. I am not unfriendly, just not quite as friendly as if I remembered them. It would be hard if a lot of people kept changing their name and gender, and I would not reconise them.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Why is this even an issue!?!

When you consider we're all playing In a world full of witches and wizards where anyone can access and use transformation potions and spells to make themselves look like someone or something else; changing gender isn't that much different.

My family has been playing since beta, and we all continue to meet players who selected the opposite gender as they were learning the game; and wish they could change their gender without eliminating all the hard work they've already invested in their wizard.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
Rebecca Ashhunter on Jan 16, 2016 wrote:
I don't really agree that this would be good. If you just changed your gender, you would still have to change your name or a lot of witches would be running around with names like Eric Soulhunter and Kevin Boompants. I also think it may negatively affect your friendships in the game. I have a lot of friends on my friends list, but I am only really close to a few of them. I am not quite as friendly at first if I do not recognize them. I am not unfriendly, just not quite as friendly as if I remembered them. It would be hard if a lot of people kept changing their name and gender, and I would not reconise them.
Dude they wouldn't be a girl if their name was Eric.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Sapphirewater on Jan 17, 2016 wrote:
Dude they wouldn't be a girl if their name was Eric.

Sarah UnicornFlower

Grandmaster Of Ice
Its not uncommon for male and female versions of most names to already exist. Eric would turn into Erica. And instead of attempting to argue, how some names don't an equivalent; KI can come up with, and create a list of male and female equivalent name; so when a gender change occurs, its quite established what name results.

It may not be perfect or comfortable for everyone, but during game play, there are some missions that transform you, in order to complete a quest, dungeon or battle. I'm sure there are complaints with some folks about this too; and yet, in order to advance even these wizards are forced to endure said transformations.

Here's to everyone having a happy place they can go to play Wizard 101.

Survivor
Nov 11, 2010
I think the limit should be what you character looks like and custom names. I don't think you should change your name or name, people would get confused and it would cause other problems.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I like this idea also the name change shouldn't be an issue, if I remember my computer science lessons correctly once you change the main variable (in this case your name) it should change everywhere else in the program. I would like it if we could change appearance and by extension gender. I would really like if they updated the wizard creator to be more like Pirate 101's version. I wouldn't mind shelling out some crowns for a new look.