Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does transferring item cards with pets work?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
I see a lot of pets that have up to three cards, and I've been saving up gold for hatching two of my own with their own cards to help my out.
I have a Bolt Demon with Elemental Blade, and I've recently acquired a Storm Cat with the Storm Cat item card. Would the cards be transferred randomly to the offspring hatched from these two in the form of item cards, or separate talents?
If it helps, the Bolt Demon is Adult with Storm-Giver and Gifted (selfish +25 intellect and power), and the Storm Cat I recently just got from farming Herkir in Grizzleheim about like 10 times and is still an egg.
I still want to level the Bolt Demon for a chance at getting the talent Blade Flurry (400/500 xp), and then I'll leave it. The cat however will grant me its card when it's Ancient, and I don't know if this will impact my chances of transferring it. I'm also only going to take it as far as Adult since it's first-gen.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Most treasure cards on pets are attached to the breed of pet they are, not talents. Talent based cards can be passed on to any type pet. Breed based cards are automatic and only appear on that type pet when hatching. Both the pets you mentioned are breed based cards, not talents.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
the cards that a pet gives will transfer ONLY to a child pet of the same kind. You cannot get a pet by hatching that gives cards from both it's parents if the parents are not the same kind of pet.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
seethe42 on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:
Most treasure cards on pets are attached to the breed of pet they are, not talents. Talent based cards can be passed on to any type pet. Breed based cards are automatic and only appear on that type pet when hatching. Both the pets you mentioned are breed based cards, not talents.
Aww, that's too bad. So then if I hatched the two together and the baby was a Storm Cat, then it would inherit the card from the parent Storm Cat?
And my Bolt Demon got another selfish talent.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Enigmatistry on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:
Aww, that's too bad. So then if I hatched the two together and the baby was a Storm Cat, then it would inherit the card from the parent Storm Cat?
And my Bolt Demon got another selfish talent.
Yes, the cards that come with the pet will be the same as whichever parent is the same kind of pet. Hybrids work a little differently, but you have to study the wiki to see which hybrids give which cards.

Selfish talents are not always bad, especially now that there is Ultra level and gems.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Breed specific cards can sometimes be more trouble than they're worth. For instance, a Wendigo - Forest Lord and Humongofrog hybrid - grants the Enraged Forest Lord card. First thought might be, cool, I now have another AOE spell - but - the Wendigo is a Myth pet and the card is a Life based spell so if you're using it with a Myth wizard without a Life Mastery amulet it's not going to get a lot of use - plus - it's only a 60% accuracy spell so, good luck with that.