Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best new wizard?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 08, 2015
I still never got to pick a wizard yet. Every time I pick one I end up going back and deleting it to make a new one that I heard on the forums was better, but I then I delete that one because I heard this one was better, and so the cycle continues ....... Eventually I've came to narrow it down to Death , Fire , and Balance . They most fit my play styles.
(Remember.. just my opinions) No ice because tanking is boring to me, No life cause it just dosent fit me, No myth because it has too unique a set of spells, and No storm because.. while I like ridiculous damage and just storm in general.. I came near death in unicorn way due to lowest health ever... Matter of fact maybe storm could work

I know there is no perfect, best, number one school... I just need to make a choice, so could somebody leave their experiences with (and maybe the slightest chance ) and why it would be best to choose it.... THANKS

Explorer
Jul 04, 2015
absolutely correct, at the end of the day, there is no 'best' school. they're all unique and it all boils down to play style and preference.

a few examples:

- storm; is very weak early on (health wise to balance out their insane damage output), but they really shine end game and become fairly quick to farm with.

- life; some people complain about this school, but it's the school that has the most boosts toward any other class.

- balance; has no overall boosts, but they get their aoe really early. their strength lies in being part of a team, strengthening his companions.

- death; can be slow, with your main aoe being scarecrow (or deer knight if you're lucky), but can outlast most enemies if played right.

hope this helps, even if a little :)

Survivor
Feb 08, 2015
Yea that does kinda help... but which would you say was the funnest to play as, like story and game play wise???

I guess no Balance since it works best in a group... that leaves just Death, Fire, and Storm I suppose... which one?

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
I'm happy to share my POV based on my experience playing the 3 schools you're curious about.

Fire: Powerful DoT spells and ST spells, a decent health pool. Accuracy is a concern early on to lower the Fizzle rate.

Balance: Good health pool, and base accuracy rate. Enemies usually have little to no resistance against Balance spells, other than Balance mobs/Bosses. Great utility spells, shielding against 6/7 school damage, and a multitude of damage enhancements. Decent damage is slightly overshadowed with useful, but low Pip cost enhancement spells, prolonging duels.

Death: Unique benefit of dealing damage while healing. Strongest Trap available. Good health pool, and base accuracy. Useful utility spells. Unless the wizard acquires Deer Knight early on, the 1st learned AE spell is not until level 48.

I hope this helps in your decision; best of luck to you.

Lincoln Realm
Gabriel 100
Scarlet Fireblossom 89
Brahm Spellbreaker 74
plus others

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i have balance, storm, and death at exalted~ here are my reasons for and against each:

balance:

pros: is versatile and good in group situations, can change roles easily and play any of them (hitter, healer, tank, etc); has no trouble soloing.

cons: cannot break shields or wand off weakness until level 92, fewer buffs available, accuracy buffs require a huge cut to other stats, and nothing benefits balance exclusively. be prepared to rely heavily on off-school treasure cards, and get used to the other schools saying "just pass and let me kill" (i ignore them).

death:

pros: awesome drain spells, can hit and heal at the same time; self sustaining. also great vs. life and ice, as their drains bypass absorb shields. oh yeah, and malistaire is death.

cons: for some reason, it is my experience, it's a lot harder to find a team with a non-jade death; also, you only get one attack-all spell (unless you take the time to craft deer knight, which i did).

storm:

pros: raw attack power, high damage makes it easy to one-shot pretty well anything, near-perfect accuracy at higher levels.

cons: extremely low base accuracy and health means that you will fizzle and die (a lot).

fire:

pros: strong hits,a well-timed efreet, damage over time spells break shields easily and are the gift that keeps on giving after you die; easily the best pvp school, if you're into that.

cons: lots of fizzling, low-ish base health (easily remedied at high levels).

hope this helps!

-von
exalted
arch
legend
magus

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
I'll go and give my two cents.
Storm:I can definitely agree about being a Storm wiz in Unicorn Way, too many near-death encounters. However, you do begin to pick up beyond Wizard City; I'm getting ready to hit Krokotopia and my Storm wiz is managing, though I always need to team up for bosses due to the paltry health (670).
An important tip, though. To mitigate the 70% fizzle rate, buy tons of Keen Eyes or Accurate (10% vs. 15%), and pack your deck up with them. Go to Unicorn Way (for the least trouble), and make treasure cards out of your Storm Sharks and Lightning Bats with the ones you've bought; they'll fizzle less and be comparably better to Fire, imo.
Fire: Good DoT spells and AoE's. Early on they have the same accuracy problem as Storm. I never went far with my Fire wiz, so I can't say much on it.
Death: Advantage of healing while hitting. However they need to use Blades and Traps in order to make the most of those spells. It gets pretty smooth if you get Deer Knight though.
Tip. Use Tough or any other spell like it to boost the damage of your drain spells and the amount they heal you.
Balance: Pretty much the team player. No shields to block it, and the most buffs and such. However they are weak on their own school, so you could go for a hard-hitting school like Fire or Storm, though I've been seeing quite a few going for Myth.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2015
Yay it did help.... Death here I come :D

Thanks all that helped out!!