Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Addition to the text filter

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
The following suggestion is made with tongue tentatively in cheek but my reasoning may resonate with some...
My suggestion is that KI seriously consider filtering the "word" um - a representation of a common sound made when hesitating in speech

The key word in the definition is "speech". I am just as guilty as everyone of using the word um in normal speech. It's almost unavoidable. As the definition indicates it's used to fill a void in the stream of conversation and it's perfectly acceptible when used in moderation. But I've noticed a marked increase in the word being used during in-game text chat. This is ridiculous. Sorry, I don't need a reminder that it takes you some time to formulate a sentence. That is obvious, um, by the time it's taking you to formulate a sentence! I don't need "a representation of a common sound made when hesitating in speech". You're not speaking to me, you're texting me. Just type it!

Anyway KI, I think you'd be doing a huge service to the language and civilization in general if you'd consider my suggestion.

Thank you

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
TucsonWizard on Aug 1, 2015 wrote:
The following suggestion is made with tongue tentatively in cheek but my reasoning may resonate with some...
My suggestion is that KI seriously consider filtering the "word" um - a representation of a common sound made when hesitating in speech

The key word in the definition is "speech". I am just as guilty as everyone of using the word um in normal speech. It's almost unavoidable. As the definition indicates it's used to fill a void in the stream of conversation and it's perfectly acceptible when used in moderation. But I've noticed a marked increase in the word being used during in-game text chat. This is ridiculous. Sorry, I don't need a reminder that it takes you some time to formulate a sentence. That is obvious, um, by the time it's taking you to formulate a sentence! I don't need "a representation of a common sound made when hesitating in speech". You're not speaking to me, you're texting me. Just type it!

Anyway KI, I think you'd be doing a huge service to the language and civilization in general if you'd consider my suggestion.

Thank you

i dont think a text needs the word um in it.When you are texting you can easily stop and think of what to say instead of saying um.

Defender
Feb 27, 2015
omagicspells on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
i dont think a text needs the word um in it.When you are texting you can easily stop and think of what to say instead of saying um.
true

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
I think that there are two different uses of the word. There is the one you have mentioned when it's in the middle of a sentence, which to be honest I don't see often on w101 (though I just recently started playing again after a long absence so I may be wrong), and there is the use of "um" as a reaction. I most commonly see it used as the latter, in reaction to an incomprehensible statement or action. What would you suggest as a replacement for this that conveys the same attitude? Perhaps you could filter "um" by itself but add "um..." when it is accompanied by an ellipsis, as it is typically alone or followed by just a comma when it is in the middle of a sentence but used with an ellipsis when used as a reaction?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

Thank you

"eh" is unfiltered and works just as well~ then again, i am from canada, so i use "eh" and "ih" and "um| interchangeably.

-von "canadian, eh" shadowsong

Explorer
Jul 21, 2015

Thank you

I Don't Think They Should If Someone Asks A Question I don't understand I Say Um, Um?, Um...