Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is the biggest problem in PVP?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 17, 2012
What do you personally believe is the biggest problem with W101 PVP? Even if you don't have a solution to the problem, you should still mention it. You can also list your biggest problems with PVP, like as a top ten list. PVP is probably the topic most people complain about on this forum, so I am wondering what people think is the worst, or the most glaring issue with it.

David Thundermancer 56

Survivor
May 03, 2015
Don't wanna use up all the disk space on this server, Better keep my mouth shut

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
  1. There aren't enough people playing PvP anymore.
  2. Puppet teams still exist.
  3. The matching algorithm doesn't take abilities like critical and shadow magic into account.
  4. Jade gear Death wizards use Cloak and Reshuffle to multiply their Bad Juju cards.
  5. There is no "mass cleanse charm" spell.
  6. There is no "mass trap removal" spell.
  7. There's no way to change the turn ordering after it is selected at the beginning of the match, which creates a set of unique advantages for the player going first.
  8. There are no battle rule options available in ranked PvP like there are in Tournaments.
  9. It is too hard to actually be competitive as a Storm in 1v1.
  10. There is no "mass ignore" or "spectator ignore" feature for bullies.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
The bullying and name calling. Most recently, my master balance was called a "noob" by a level 13 balance because I won the match, and another player called me a "dispel spammer" after casting balance dispel on him a whopping two times. I have been threatened so badly, I reported it via email to Kingsisle, and a friend's autistic daughter was called a loser.

As an adult who has an online presence, I am accustomed to being threatened, bullied, and harassed via the internet. But young children should not be exposed to this level of hatred and abuse. I wish KI would take this all much more seriously, and make it impossible to use open chat during PvP matches. It's very difficult to tell someone you are going to hack their computer because you refuse to flee if gifted, tell them they are ugly, threaten their account, and go around the chat filters to use obscenities (all of which has happened to me), if you can only use menu chat.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I would like to add one item to Lucas Rain's list.

11. When you can be hit by FFA on the first turn for over 3200 damage, that is a problem.
More of a problem for Storm, but still it's very hard to recover from that much damage
and win the match. I don't think that you should be able to get a shadow pips on the first
two turns.

Lucas also didn't mention all the other glitches that people have used over the years to
win a match. It's a combination of all of these items that have drove people away from
pvp and sadly, even to other games.

I would very much like to see KI stop producing new Packs, and other items, and just
try to fix and balance PVP. Starting by correcting the First Turn Advantage (correctly)
would be a huge move in the right direction.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
The biggest problem is pvp itself. It was set-up from the start very poorly, and incredibly flawed. Despite the flood of legitimate complaints, no real solution has ever been attempted. Instead, it has suffered from one "Band-Aid" fix after another, which never fixes the problems, and just creates more. The only way to "fix" pvp once, and for all, is to have it completely overhauled from top to bottom. But sadly, even if KI decides to take action like this, they have probably waited too long. It's only real hope is to add new content, such as the "Mayhem" suggestion I made in another post. But ultimately, nothing will work until the root cause is addressed, and dealt with.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
Intrepidatius on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
The biggest problem is pvp itself. It was set-up from the start very poorly, and incredibly flawed. Despite the flood of legitimate complaints, no real solution has ever been attempted. Instead, it has suffered from one "Band-Aid" fix after another, which never fixes the problems, and just creates more. The only way to "fix" pvp once, and for all, is to have it completely overhauled from top to bottom. But sadly, even if KI decides to take action like this, they have probably waited too long. It's only real hope is to add new content, such as the "Mayhem" suggestion I made in another post. But ultimately, nothing will work until the root cause is addressed, and dealt with.
Yea, that "Mayhem" idea sounds pretty good.

On topic though, there are many inbalances in PvP. As other have said: Puppet teams, OP gear (Jade, Aquila, Darkmoor), armor-piercing, the guy who goes first, the OHKO fest.

These are all problems that have destroyed PvP.

And sadly, the rage of these angry PvP players sometimes spreads to PvE, when PvPers come to whine/vent their anger to PvErs (like me). Hope they fix PvP soon.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2010
i would say lvl 50 warlords, they can get very good gear and all they use is treasure cards. I say ban tc from rank matches

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
NeoNebula17 on May 29, 2015 wrote:
What do you personally believe is the biggest problem with W101 PVP? Even if you don't have a solution to the problem, you should still mention it. You can also list your biggest problems with PVP, like as a top ten list. PVP is probably the topic most people complain about on this forum, so I am wondering what people think is the worst, or the most glaring issue with it.

David Thundermancer 56
allot of people in pvp mostly storm mostly trouble with complain about to every school so, win with offense & defense so, possible for others school kill (overpower school)

1. puppet team
2. shadow magic
3. unfair rank
4. immunity
5. shadow enhanced spell
6. armor pierce (way to high) much worst with jewel socket "clued gear to much critical"

mostly sick people complain "sick of playing wizard101" make pvp fair for others school mostly like ice/myth/life

ice (want better resist gear or better spell so, heal allot more easy) instead getting single spell (useless effect) like abominable weaver because it stronger then lord of winter but isn't better as lord of winter because "abominable weaver isn't heavy" just spider but that spell more better off as school hybrid pet mostly like to hybrid with call of khrulhu!

life (once new aoe) never got one for while "waiting for so, long" complain about spell (spell nearly same as others but lower value! only spell have aoe is tc "only get from boxes event"

myth same issus same thing for ice (same trouble with healing) less aoe damage others school clued there effect "people mostly don't like myth" don't want myth getting secondary earthquake

about ice wizard
(but now some ice keep there tank so, now getting more deeper in immunity" sharing immunity so, pvp more harder "so, ice won't be only school with immunity" don't want face them easy be setup (strong guess know what school they are vs too (so, don't use myth/storm) because have shadow shrike you beat them easy "not for death tank & ice tank" when use immunity (don't use shadow magic) or spam bad juju for every time cast shadow magic or spam empower & bad juju

(immunity becoming more of a risk) don't win pvp that easy when others school to overpower!
--------------------
list of how many immunity (each school now)

: 0 Immunity
: 1 Immunity
: 7 Immunity
: 2 Immunity
: 4 Immunity

Explorer
Oct 23, 2011
NeoNebula17 on May 29, 2015 wrote:

David Thundermancer 56
I think the biggest problem in PvP is puppets. Puppets make unfair matches and steal the rank we worked for.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
I would like to see all the fire spells just put one trap instead of three
do away with all tc beguile use only let death use that spell
make juju no cloak
give balance a way to stack blades or traps or something like every one else can
and most of all stop that mastery amulet use. make everyone use their pips

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
gorman moonweaver on Jun 6, 2015 wrote:
I would like to see all the fire spells just put one trap instead of three
do away with all tc beguile use only let death use that spell
make juju no cloak
give balance a way to stack blades or traps or something like every one else can
and most of all stop that mastery amulet use. make everyone use their pips
Why no mastery amulets?

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
NeoNebula17 on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
Why no mastery amulets?
people dispel you (use mastery amulets) know (spirt dot around wizard) also use battle order (look circle spot see what school spot standing one so, remember to fine which school wizard vs with (know right spell to use to defeat them easy) why use immunity so, fail into a trap (so, make them use armor pierce or convert) so, fail there shadow shrike (Armor Pierce NOT Break resist) using HIGH SHIELD SPELL!

resist over: 127 (infallible useless) immune to 15% armor pierce (shadow shrike also useless using allot high shield spell percent (still immune it) event don't fortify (still immune) shield also basic as call: resist too!

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
There are many problems with PvP. I can't believe people are even still playing and haven't moved on to better games with better PvP. I can't believe I'm still playing. Maybe it's because underneath all the problems there is actually a one of a kind unique game that can't be compared to any other. Perhaps we are all sticking around clutching onto the hope that one day KI will get around to repairing all the problems that are preventing PvP from being as great as it could be. We know that if PvP was without it's faults it could easily be one of the best PvP games to exist. But as of right now it doesn't seem like quality PvP is a priority for KI, it also seems like they are not even taking notice of PvP section of the message boards.

Apart form us still here that are too stubborn to let go and move onto other games, I really do believe that Wizard101 has lost so many players that were unsatisfied with the current state of PvP. The bulk of players in the game would be PvE players. KI needs to realise that there are another group of players that seek competition and are only really in it for the PvP. KI has failed the capture this audience with an unsatisfactory PvP system. This is why there are not as many players as we would like to be. KI could have a much larger subscriber base but have failed to realise that there is a group of gamers that are drawn to a certain game feature they have been neglecting.

Here is my list of issues in order of what I consider most game breaking.

1. The turn system gives a disadvantage to the player going second.
2. Players are paired into matches with too greater level difference.
3. Ranking system does not accurately rank a players skill level. (I suggest something like ELO)
4. The sheer power of some and resist of others has become far too extreme resulting in many of the original strategies dying. There is no more variety and it's boring.

If KI is acknowledging this they need to realise that none of these are out of repairs reach.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
The Darkmoor and Jewel update. The Darkmoor spells are the biggest problem however. They need to make them no pvp.

How are players still able to puppet team?

Arthur

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Arthur Wethersfiel... on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:

Arthur
I was kind of stunned at your remark. There has been a plethora of legitimate complaints about pvp ,and the need for a mass overhaul, and yet the only response given from administration is yours, and it only addresses a very small part of the problem.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010

Arthur
I haven't seen many puppet teams, but it appears that a very low ranked Exalted wizard (maybe around 0-150) being paired up with a low level can still get Grandmaster teams as opponents. The root problem in general is that a low ranked Exalted wizard can be paired with an average ranked Grandmaster in 1v1 , I think an entire level separation needs to be done to fix puppet teaming completely.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2013
A good solution, which actually does punish the player(s) who smart mouth and harass others, is just by suspending their chat for a few days. Kingsisle could program a list of combination of words gathered from what has been said in the game/arena and suspend those who enter said combinations have their chat suspended. It would completely neutralize the issue.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Veracity8 on Jun 2, 2015 wrote:
I would like to add one item to Lucas Rain's list.

11. When you can be hit by FFA on the first turn for over 3200 damage, that is a problem.
More of a problem for Storm, but still it's very hard to recover from that much damage
and win the match. I don't think that you should be able to get a shadow pips on the first
two turns.

Lucas also didn't mention all the other glitches that people have used over the years to
win a match. It's a combination of all of these items that have drove people away from
pvp and sadly, even to other games.

I would very much like to see KI stop producing new Packs, and other items, and just
try to fix and balance PVP. Starting by correcting the First Turn Advantage (correctly)
would be a huge move in the right direction.
And I would like to add another item to that list.

12. No variety whatsoever.

Before Loremaster came out, and Darkmoor, people had to choose between using spells with an aftereffect or just raw damage. For example, Power Nova vs Ra. Now, because of Loremaster spells and Shadow Enhanced Spells, Exalted strategies have been boiled down to the exact same spells over and over again. Everything is predictable, but there is no counter. Will I use Seraph over Luminous Weaver? No, because Luminous Weaver does more damage and places a Weakness on the opponent. Will I Savage Paw or Gaze of Fate? Gaze of Fate, because it costs the same pips and is 2x stronger. There is no "decision making" in PvP, and it will always remain like this until Shadow Enhanced Spells become No PvP and when all Loremaster spells get nerfed to do on-par damage with normal spells.

Another thing I could say is the fact that nobody is able to use mastery amulets anymore because block rating is too low without Morganthe amulets or the Amulet of Divine Influence. We can't use off school spells to widen strategies and everybody is forced to use in school attacks with no second option, was again, forcing everybody into the same strategy.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Intrepidatius on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:
I was kind of stunned at your remark. There has been a plethora of legitimate complaints about pvp ,and the need for a mass overhaul, and yet the only response given from administration is yours, and it only addresses a very small part of the problem.
Actually I was stunned for the opposite reason. Here's the developer's asking for a specific description of the problem, obviously because they want to get it fixed.

Are puppet teams still an issue? Why? How? Help them get it fixed if you have information.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014

Arthur
I agree mostly everything want (PVP KING SAY)

mostly right because ice wizard have trouble defeat balance low level when ice at exalted (spam everything) mostly spam spell (harder for them to attack) so, exalted ice so, can't use mastery amulet (others school know ice people ice spell they will use (use mastery amulet) others school dispel them so, can't use spell when have mastery amulet on! mostly hard for ice wizard get good gear (I only use immunity) because can't heal/get rid of dispel or get rid stun or people spam shield!

everytime pvp tournament I watch in wizard (life wizard mostly spam heal & heal so, harder for others school to attack so, get enough protection before others school attack! mostly lower level wizard puppet exalted storm! high armor pierce/critical/damage etc. make harder defeat them use jewel socketing for to get more block/heath!

Survivor
Jun 25, 2010

Arthur
I have done some testing on puppet teaming lately, my 100 myth (around 100 rank or so) can do a 2v2 with a level 60-70 ranked captain+ and typically gets paired against legend overlords with 1600 rank or so, or a grandmaster team with even higher rank. Puppeting is certainly still possible, however it just doesn't have nearly as many benefits as it has had in the past. Of course, as more and more Grandmaster-Transcendent wizard get higher and higher rank, they will consistently be paired against higher and higher levels. Example of this being, I can do 1v1 on my myth at 500 rank, and fight, say a level 72 overlord with 1300-1400 rank or so, very possibly even grandmasters with 2000+ rank, but that hasn't happened as much unless I go to sub-private. Hope this helps!
~Alexander FrostFlame

Squire
May 10, 2013
JustinFrostHunter on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
allot of people in pvp mostly storm mostly trouble with complain about to every school so, win with offense & defense so, possible for others school kill (overpower school)

1. puppet team
2. shadow magic
3. unfair rank
4. immunity
5. shadow enhanced spell
6. armor pierce (way to high) much worst with jewel socket "clued gear to much critical"

mostly sick people complain "sick of playing wizard101" make pvp fair for others school mostly like ice/myth/life

ice (want better resist gear or better spell so, heal allot more easy) instead getting single spell (useless effect) like abominable weaver because it stronger then lord of winter but isn't better as lord of winter because "abominable weaver isn't heavy" just spider but that spell more better off as school hybrid pet mostly like to hybrid with call of khrulhu!

life (once new aoe) never got one for while "waiting for so, long" complain about spell (spell nearly same as others but lower value! only spell have aoe is tc "only get from boxes event"

myth same issus same thing for ice (same trouble with healing) less aoe damage others school clued there effect "people mostly don't like myth" don't want myth getting secondary earthquake

about ice wizard
(but now some ice keep there tank so, now getting more deeper in immunity" sharing immunity so, pvp more harder "so, ice won't be only school with immunity" don't want face them easy be setup (strong guess know what school they are vs too (so, don't use myth/storm) because have shadow shrike you beat them easy "not for death tank & ice tank" when use immunity (don't use shadow magic) or spam bad juju for every time cast shadow magic or spam empower & bad juju

(immunity becoming more of a risk) don't win pvp that easy when others school to overpower!
--------------------
list of how many immunity (each school now)

: 0 Immunity
: 7 Immunity
: 2 Immunity
: 4 Immunity
Your saying Ice has 7 immunites? That is so off.

Infallible + Shrike + Malistare Gear means there is no immunity.

~PlayHard~

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013

Arthur
I would like to 2v2 pvp. the past four times i have done it i have been matched with characters who are being controlled by the same individual. four different times. it is common. Your matching setup should check the ip and prevent this from happening, when one person uses two accounts to pvp together. It can and it really should.

playing two characters in the same match is not good sportsmanship. KI should not indulge it.