Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Crafting Worth it?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
Is crafting really worth it? Is it really worth it to craft the level 56 Wintertusk gear when 4 levels later you're going to farm Waterworks? I mean, Waterworks is pretty much the best gear up until level 85 or so. Also, crafting is so boring and expensive. I don't think KI should change anything, but I do wish crafting was a little easier. So is crafting worth it?

Level 34

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
yes it's worth it and crafting the wintertusk gear and any other gear or spells,etc. it can help you defeat the bosses and stay alive and all the other good stuff in water works you don't want to go to water works with bad gear you need good to get better in my opinion but water works gear is needed for avalon and on into azteca until level 90 its good gear but before all of that you need good gear to help you in battles in waterworks

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Leesha Starforge on Apr 1, 2015 wrote:
Is crafting really worth it? Is it really worth it to craft the level 56 Wintertusk gear when 4 levels later you're going to farm Waterworks? I mean, Waterworks is pretty much the best gear up until level 85 or so. Also, crafting is so boring and expensive. I don't think KI should change anything, but I do wish crafting was a little easier. So is crafting worth it?

Level 34
Yes, crafting is definitely worth it. I'd at least craft the Wintertusk hat to get the blade. The stats aren't much lower than the Waterworks hat. Then there are the Avalon crafted boots which give you a lot of much needed block, unlike the Waterworks boots. You can upgrade them in Azteca, but the stat increase is very slight so I wouldn't recommend it. There's also an upgrade in Khrysalis that gives you quite a lot more damage, but you'll most probably be at least close to level 100 by the time you reach the vendor, so you could just as well farm Darkmoor.

TL;DR: Yes, it's worth it. There's some really good crafted gear out there.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
Delver
Jun 29, 2011
Leesha Starforge on Apr 1, 2015 wrote:

Level 34
Yes, crafting is definitely worth it. Although there's only a four level difference between crafting Wintertusk gear and farming Waterworks, you shouldn't rely on the unpredictability of Waterworks drops. Also, only the Waterworks hat and robe are the best available until you reach level 90. The crafted, so-called "block boots" of Zafaria, Avalon, and Azteca will help immensely in those worlds, as will the crafted rings and athames. You're only level 34 right now, but when you reach level 60+ you'll earn a lot more gold which makes it much easier.

Wolf Windrider
Exalted

Survivor
Oct 30, 2011
I keep my Wintertusk gear after I upgrade from it. It's great for when you want gear buffs for the one in a million badge. It's good for helping others win the badge also, of course. I know when I did Khrysalis, I made the robe from there to boost my accuracy. Crafting isn't just about gear, either. You can get the school spells that are craftable with much more certainty than loremaster. If you like to decorate your house, there are crown items you can craft without spending real money. The first craftable mount came out in the BOX event. Lots of stuff you miss out on if you don't craft.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
The faster you start leveling Crafting, the better. You will need to have large stockpiles of common reagents, such as stone block, for Transmuting in the later Crafting level recipes.

As a solo player, I view Crafting as a chore, or a necessary evil. I attempt to compensate for lack of an active Friend list for grouping with, by maximizing my damage/healing output, and resistances as best I can to insure duel victories.

The Crafting recipes are generally not that expensive, as your gold will be consumed in attempting to acquire additional reagents (not gathered or Transmuted) at the Bazaar, and TC vendors.

While I don't deny the benefits to much of the crafted gear recipes, the ingredients necessary to make the most sought after ones are absolutely ridiculous.

A POV from a player who does it, but definitely doesn't like it.

Gabriel

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Crafting is not worth it until you reach higher levels. And its much easier to level up you crafting once you have reached a higher level because you are more powerful, more wealthy, more mats in the bank, etc.

My suggestions:
- Start gardenining King Parsley right away for amber. Don't think... just do it.*
- Always pick up mats from the ground. Esp stone blocks and agave leaves.
- Never ever sell crafting materials.
- Whenever you are in the bazaar and see fossils, agave leaves, agave nectar, or turqoise... buy it.
- Stockpile mats for when you are ready to do your crafting quests.
- Don't bother with crafting until you reach avalon, then just zip through the whole set of quests.

*Dedicate a low-level or parked wizard on your account for gardening. Its well worth it.

Explorer
Feb 23, 2015
I just started crafting and just after I entered Avalon because I'd rather craft Deer Knight than bank on Loremaster ever giving it to me.

I've encountered players who've done nothing but Loremaster for a straight month without ever getting a spell drop and others who have, but it wasn't the spell they wanted or needed. So, I thought, "Why spend weeks fighting an unreliable boss when I can spend that time reaching Legendary Artisan, craft the spell, and then use crafting for whatever other benefits it nets me?"