Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Worrying Trend - Behaviour Within the Arena

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
I am a very tolerant person, but one thing that always bothers me is the belittling of others to the point they quit something they love. I will give you an example. This was an actual occurrence.

A certain 4v4 match that I participated in was "hijacked" (I use the term loosely) by a group of talkative, rude and unmannerly warlords (and their friends who were watching the match.) Now, I know what you are thinking, another labeling of warlords, but I am not making a point of their rank for that purpose. Before the game even started they started saying "good game" and "you should just flee." Unfortunately for our team one of our teammates did flee and we were left short handed. Long story short they insulted and teased my two teammates to the point that one fled and the other stop playing. Of course, it was a massacre. Fortunately for me, I had two back to back critical spells that ended the match quite promptly.

The stunned opposing team then accused me of using TC (in which I found amusing because they were using nothing but TC the whole match) and called me a whole list of stuff. Then they turned on my partner, who had perished in battle, and called him a noob.That aside, I really didn't give them much attention, since I knew the only way we wouldn't have gotten accused and insulted is if we had different opponents. What was more worrying was that my teammate had told me he will quit PvP and never return to the arena. As I spend most of my time salvaging players and convincing them to return to the arena, this was very saddening. It is as if one returns, another four leaves.

So I gave him an offer to come to my house and to practice some tactics at the private arena. To be honest. when he first started, he wasn't in the top tier of the best players I've seen, but eventually he got the gist of things and was battling like a pro.

But even though he had garnered the skills of a great tactician, he refused to return to the arena. His reasoning was that the atmosphere was too stifling to fully enjoy the experience, and he would rather put my teachings to effective use in PvE. Yes, I did tell him to turn off PvP enemy chat but he still refused.

The behavior is driving away players who play this game to get away from the pressure of their lives.The vast majority of these players are children also, seeing them get exposed to such behavior worries me to a great extent. I know this a problem KI can't solve since it is purely societal. So I ask the players of arena, why?

• Why is it the "cool" thing to get a warlord badge and belittle others?
  • Why is it that these warlords are willing to use every TC in their possession but can't handle if it is returned?
  • Why can't players have respect for others and the arena?
  • Why do players think that if you fight without TC you aren't very good at PvP?
There is a reason we aren't respected by the PvE community. Who wants to be stereotyped due to a few players with no behavior? Certainly not me. So what will you do about it?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Bullying is a problem, yes.

I want for KI to do 3 things:
  1. Get Hall Monitors to do their jobs. Where are they anyway?
  2. Put a chat canceling button on right on the GUI so we don't have to go option-hunting and ignore-hunting. No one has time for that.
  3. Consider giving PvP contestants a 'Send Away' ability that can be used under certain circumstances. I'm confident there's a way to do this that is exploit-resistant.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2014
Invitirion on Feb 9, 2015 wrote:
I am a very tolerant person, but one thing that always bothers me is the belittling of others to the point they quit something they love. I will give you an example. This was an actual occurrence.

A certain 4v4 match that I participated in was "hijacked" (I use the term loosely) by a group of talkative, rude and unmannerly warlords (and their friends who were watching the match.) Now, I know what you are thinking, another labeling of warlords, but I am not making a point of their rank for that purpose. Before the game even started they started saying "good game" and "you should just flee." Unfortunately for our team one of our teammates did flee and we were left short handed. Long story short they insulted and teased my two teammates to the point that one fled and the other stop playing. Of course, it was a massacre. Fortunately for me, I had two back to back critical spells that ended the match quite promptly.

The stunned opposing team then accused me of using TC (in which I found amusing because they were using nothing but TC the whole match) and called me a whole list of stuff. Then they turned on my partner, who had perished in battle, and called him a noob.That aside, I really didn't give them much attention, since I knew the only way we wouldn't have gotten accused and insulted is if we had different opponents. What was more worrying was that my teammate had told me he will quit PvP and never return to the arena. As I spend most of my time salvaging players and convincing them to return to the arena, this was very saddening. It is as if one returns, another four leaves.

So I gave him an offer to come to my house and to practice some tactics at the private arena. To be honest. when he first started, he wasn't in the top tier of the best players I've seen, but eventually he got the gist of things and was battling like a pro.

But even though he had garnered the skills of a great tactician, he refused to return to the arena. His reasoning was that the atmosphere was too stifling to fully enjoy the experience, and he would rather put my teachings to effective use in PvE. Yes, I did tell him to turn off PvP enemy chat but he still refused.

The behavior is driving away players who play this game to get away from the pressure of their lives.The vast majority of these players are children also, seeing them get exposed to such behavior worries me to a great extent. I know this a problem KI can't solve since it is purely societal. So I ask the players of arena, why?

• Why is it that these warlords are willing to use every TC in their possession but can't handle if it is returned?
  • Why do players think that if you fight without TC you aren't very good at PvP?
There is a reason we aren't respected by the PvE community. Who wants to be stereotyped due to a few players with no behavior? Certainly not me. So what will you do about it?
I know how yours friend feel.

I got name called also and I use to call others wizards that called me names back at them.

But I stopped now because it hurts people feelings.

Now I only say GG.

I'm a wizard lvl 6 and a rank pvp captain.

Ashley FireBloom lvl 38 I think maybe lvl 39 now.

What is yours wizards lvl and yours friends lvl?

I just want to help you and yours friend.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
They should just make spectator chat visible only to spectators. Allow players to chat between themselves, allow spectators to see that but only allow their responses to be seen by other spectators. It would eliminate outside influence and trash talking hecklers from having any effect on the matches.

Defender
May 09, 2010
By Bartleby this is beautiful. I've had a similar experience before, Warlords thinking they're so great. Frothing insults in an attempt to get a reaction: It's just like real world bullying. As an avid PVP, I've grown used to the insults and when I reflect back on them, I see now that they powered me. Them calling me a "Noob" in an attempt to show dominance made me focus more on strategy and tactics. About a week later, I actually got paired with the guy (and his 2 same friends) that were insulting me earlier (miraculously). Me and my buddies used tactics and strategy efficiently enough to beat them both into the dirt. Obviously, he and his buddies insulted me and my friends. The guy challenged me to a 1v1 of course, and called me a noob and so fourth. But as Morganthe once said "Such a threat is beneath me". I did end up dueling him and winning, but I learned a lesson. I realized he was just another one of those people who couldn't keep his ideology together. He was just another one of those trolls.

Anyways, story time over. Back to topic...I understand what you're getting at. And I thank you for being mature in your response to the people of the MB. Just work around it, keep your bearings together, and maybe offer up some solutions?

Delver
Mar 17, 2011

I agree something needs to be done i don't even like pvp anymore because of this

there should be a butten that only comes up when you in pvp and lets say your in for vs for
the players around you are being rude and disrespectful so you vote to have them removed like when you hit the butten a list of names will come down you fined there name and just hit yes i like this person to be removed and reported for being rude or what ever and you team has to all agree in removing them

next up i think there should be a report all butten for bad sport in pvp or rude in pvp on the enemy side

i had this happen so many times and i sorry but words do hurt after so many times

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
Lucas Rain on Feb 9, 2015 wrote:
Bullying is a problem, yes.

I want for KI to do 3 things:
  1. Get Hall Monitors to do their jobs. Where are they anyway?
  2. Put a chat canceling button on right on the GUI so we don't have to go option-hunting and ignore-hunting. No one has time for that.
  3. Consider giving PvP contestants a 'Send Away' ability that can be used under certain circumstances. I'm confident there's a way to do this that is exploit-resistant.
Those sound very nice.

Especially love the 'send away' option but like you said, it has to be under certain circumstances.

I think all the players are considered moderators in the game since they deal with those issues through reporting. If a player can report another when they see a bad act happening then it should work shouldn't it? Yes, in theory. The problem is some players abuse the report option and some are too demoralized to even remember that there is one. I've been thinking about a game implementation that might help solve this issue but I always draw on nothing. It's more a community issue that needs to be addressed.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
Ashley Star on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:
I know how yours friend feel.

I got name called also and I use to call others wizards that called me names back at them.

But I stopped now because it hurts people feelings.

Now I only say GG.

I'm a wizard lvl 6 and a rank pvp captain.

Ashley FireBloom lvl 38 I think maybe lvl 39 now.

What is yours wizards lvl and yours friends lvl?

I just want to help you and yours friend.
I appreciate your self control and maturity. It takes a lot to hold back your tongue when being barraged with insults. If more people in the arena realized that all players have feelings then a lot of strife could be avoided.

As for our levels, lol, I was using a level 40 wizard at the time and I think he was level 38 or so. I hope that helps. Though I am quite intrigued as to why the revelation of our levels may help you help us.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
seethe42 on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:
They should just make spectator chat visible only to spectators. Allow players to chat between themselves, allow spectators to see that but only allow their responses to be seen by other spectators. It would eliminate outside influence and trash talking hecklers from having any effect on the matches.
Hmm, that is interesting indeed. However, one flaw. I think it should be an option. Forcing it on all players may be a little stifling for some who love to have their friends' support. But I am sure you meant to have it as an option anyways. So that is an interesting idea.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
lettup on Feb 14, 2015 wrote:
By Bartleby this is beautiful. I've had a similar experience before, Warlords thinking they're so great. Frothing insults in an attempt to get a reaction: It's just like real world bullying. As an avid PVP, I've grown used to the insults and when I reflect back on them, I see now that they powered me. Them calling me a "Noob" in an attempt to show dominance made me focus more on strategy and tactics. About a week later, I actually got paired with the guy (and his 2 same friends) that were insulting me earlier (miraculously). Me and my buddies used tactics and strategy efficiently enough to beat them both into the dirt. Obviously, he and his buddies insulted me and my friends. The guy challenged me to a 1v1 of course, and called me a noob and so fourth. But as Morganthe once said "Such a threat is beneath me". I did end up dueling him and winning, but I learned a lesson. I realized he was just another one of those people who couldn't keep his ideology together. He was just another one of those trolls.

Anyways, story time over. Back to topic...I understand what you're getting at. And I thank you for being mature in your response to the people of the MB. Just work around it, keep your bearings together, and maybe offer up some solutions?

Offer some solutions...hmm. It was because of your post that I actually thought about it and was able to find a suggestion for a solution. I then started a new topic instead of putting it in my reply. I also thank you for the praise.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
sliver moon wolf on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
I agree something needs to be done i don't even like pvp anymore because of this

there should be a butten that only comes up when you in pvp and lets say your in for vs for
the players around you are being rude and disrespectful so you vote to have them removed like when you hit the butten a list of names will come down you fined there name and just hit yes i like this person to be removed and reported for being rude or what ever and you team has to all agree in removing them

next up i think there should be a report all butten for bad sport in pvp or rude in pvp on the enemy side

i had this happen so many times and i sorry but words do hurt after so many times
Yes, words can hurt. Especially if it's about a person's skill. I hope you stay committed to PvP and ride through the storm.

Defender
May 09, 2010
Invitirion on Feb 19, 2015 wrote:
Offer some solutions...hmm. It was because of your post that I actually thought about it and was able to find a suggestion for a solution. I then started a new topic instead of putting it in my reply. I also thank you for the praise.
No problem my friend. I'm most happy to help out anyone who asks if needed. I adore posts that bring a problem to light and actually provide solutions to the subject. Unlike some of the more revered users here on the MB that blame their blight on the "Loss of Magic" instead of finding the solutions they so desire. The praise you thank me for is not needed, but I accept your acknowledgment.

Solutions are what this community needs! More people offering their ideas and suggestions.....not their complaints or excuses. Power comes with Unity......and those who are United, can make the difference they want.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2012
I agree, pvp is just getting worse and worse. I used to call names and they would laugh, like as a joke. But now there is no more joking just rudeness. I have been pvp-ing for a long time and am a warlord but a rank or badge just means more experienced or just a person who has pvp longer than the other. privates can be just the same or better than a warlord. I like having fun in pvp so I recently was being a "noob" and was wild bolt spamming. got some trash talking commander, beat him, and got trash talked by spectators, one even reported me.

I hope kingsile will do something about this. Or at least just read all the stories in the comments including this one...

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
lettup on Feb 20, 2015 wrote:
No problem my friend. I'm most happy to help out anyone who asks if needed. I adore posts that bring a problem to light and actually provide solutions to the subject. Unlike some of the more revered users here on the MB that blame their blight on the "Loss of Magic" instead of finding the solutions they so desire. The praise you thank me for is not needed, but I accept your acknowledgment.

Solutions are what this community needs! More people offering their ideas and suggestions.....not their complaints or excuses. Power comes with Unity......and those who are United, can make the difference they want.

Yes, for change to happen we do need to be united, and if we can all agree that we don't respect or want the bullying or bad behavior by the players of game and especially the arena, maybe KI would see that it needs to be addressed.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Invitirion on Feb 19, 2015 wrote:
Hmm, that is interesting indeed. However, one flaw. I think it should be an option. Forcing it on all players may be a little stifling for some who love to have their friends' support. But I am sure you meant to have it as an option anyways. So that is an interesting idea.
You could also make it so friends can talk to friends, but not their friend's opponent. That would eliminate the heckling, shaming, name-calling... without removing any cheering or support.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
bestwizard524 on Feb 21, 2015 wrote:
I agree, pvp is just getting worse and worse. I used to call names and they would laugh, like as a joke. But now there is no more joking just rudeness. I have been pvp-ing for a long time and am a warlord but a rank or badge just means more experienced or just a person who has pvp longer than the other. privates can be just the same or better than a warlord. I like having fun in pvp so I recently was being a "noob" and was wild bolt spamming. got some trash talking commander, beat him, and got trash talked by spectators, one even reported me.

I hope kingsile will do something about this. Or at least just read all the stories in the comments including this one...
I also hope KI does take this seriously, as they are going for a niche in family friendly games. However, this is quite the conundrum. As most insults come over open or text chat, they might believe that reverting the player back to menu chat would be a quick and swift solution. I just hope they don't think that there is already a soluton and that a fiddle with the settings would be a "quick fix." Sacrficing the options of players will definately not go over well. As the most succesful games today that players willingly fork out their money for tend to have various options available that can be used to suit a player's taste. For example, imagine if you didn't had the option to tweak your character's features, or the color of your gear? Would you still want to play this game? The option to have open or text chat should still be available even if players don't want to be bullied. Your story saddens me, and I hope things will change.

Explorer
Jun 06, 2011

I can feel your pain. It happens to most of us Privates. They think they are so great. Something that annoys about everyone is tower shielding and weaknesses. Their behavior is inexcusable. Most of them are like that. Fame went to their heads and act like brats. Like you said, they have no respect because they think about power and are just selfish. I would put a cork in those warlords' mouths. We don't have an advantage over them because:

Tower Shield

Prisms

Cloak

Weakness

Satyr

Feint

After all of this is over (Depending on which school) They could triton or frostbite, scald and poison. It is hard for me to have a fair match as my ice or fire. I know Kingisle can't do much but still. Most things that bother me are the interior's behavior. But it can be stopped by going to Ronald SilverHeart and get the ranked or practice pedestal but the price is 2000 or 500 I can't remember which. A way to obtain that is through top three in tournaments.

Jacob LotusCaller level 100

Survivor
Feb 17, 2012
This is a problem. What I would do is make it so that only the teams can talk to each other and no other bubbles appear. This would fix the problem without Kingsisle having to do much.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2014
It is a worrying trend to be sure. I myself am a Warlord who chose to rank down to escape the attached attitude that come with most Warlords. I as well do not use TC attacks, and I am a low level PVP'er. But I still find a way to win and it enrages them.

At the end of the match, just menu chat " Good Match" and leave them alone. If they text you nasty comments, DO NOT reply to them, they will eventually stop bothering you.

Most Warlords flee before I could finish them in matches, so I guess we can call them sore losers. I am not a big supporter of TC, but it is not going away, so accept it.

Thing is, we all win some, lose some. Warlords need to put their egos away and move on.

If you want some revenge on a Warlord, look me up and we will go find them LOL.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Ok here is how to deal with those people.
In-Battle:
1. Never ever talk.
2. If opponent talks, look at his stats and don't answer.
3. If opponent insults put him to ignore list.
4. If spectators talk to you don't answer.
5. If spectators insult you put them to ignore list, don't answer them.
After-Battle:
1. Always say GG.
2. Always be polite to opponent.
3. The moment they start saying stuff like noob or anything that will insult you, put them into ignore list.
4. Leave the Arena and go for another match if you want.
Those are most practical ways of dealing with those people.
Well at least in my opinion they are.
Anyway hope it helps you.
Nicholas Star