Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Mage Survivability

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
I started a storm mage out of curiosity. I'm around 14 now, and I'm finding his survivability is not nearly as good as his life mage and balance mage cousins. My life mage often has a tough time with damage, but can hang on a long time and generally wear down the opponent. Whereas, my storm mage, while awesome when things go well, really struggles if he has a chain of fizzles (which are a lot more likely for storm mages).

Is this just the way these classes go, or am I approaching it wrong somehow?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Medicio on Dec 22, 2014 wrote:
I started a storm mage out of curiosity. I'm around 14 now, and I'm finding his survivability is not nearly as good as his life mage and balance mage cousins. My life mage often has a tough time with damage, but can hang on a long time and generally wear down the opponent. Whereas, my storm mage, while awesome when things go well, really struggles if he has a chain of fizzles (which are a lot more likely for storm mages).

Is this just the way these classes go, or am I approaching it wrong somehow?
Yes, that is how the schools work.

You can augment Storm's massive fire power with more damage increases (becoming a "glass" cannon) or you can augment their weakness by getting gear with more resists, health or accuracy.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2012
Oran of Urz on Dec 22, 2014 wrote:
Yes, that is how the schools work.

You can augment Storm's massive fire power with more damage increases (becoming a "glass" cannon) or you can augment their weakness by getting gear with more resists, health or accuracy.
He's right. when you go into a fight don't base yourself around how you fight with your other wizards base it off of storms strengths and weaknesses. like stack shields and bring heal tc so you can save pips for a strong hit

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Storm never gets gear that offers you a health plus resist combo that rivals other schools (not even Jade gear gets your heath up to a respectable level). If there were such gear that could make Storm better health and resist, I'd use that gear even at the expense of some damage. I don't really find it fair either, because other schools can go glass cannon as well as revert back to being relatively well-rounded, but Storm can't. Even at its best, it's still glass.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
As a storm wizard, up until level 65, it was challenging to survive and last long, in battles and dungeons.

But then something wonderful happened at level 65...

...I found my storm wizard being able to take on and beating four bosses simultaneously.

Here is what's helped my storm wizard the most:
  • Get into the habit of always upgrading to better gear and equipment when it becomes available.
    Every now and again, check to see what the bazaar and vendors sell; and buy when you can afford better equipment.
  • Train your pets to get the talents you want
    For those talents you may want, like May cast fairy, added resistance against spells, higher critical or damage, etc...
  • Continue to experiment and discover exactly what damage each of your spells bring; with and without blades and traps.
    Go into the easiest areas and dungeons to fight monsters and boss to test this
  • Always be willing to put on your big wizard pants before entering a battle or dungeon.
    Sometimes, what you face is very challenging, so be ready for anything, and have fun along the way!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Lucas Rain on Dec 23, 2014 wrote:
Storm never gets gear that offers you a health plus resist combo that rivals other schools (not even Jade gear gets your heath up to a respectable level). If there were such gear that could make Storm better health and resist, I'd use that gear even at the expense of some damage. I don't really find it fair either, because other schools can go glass cannon as well as revert back to being relatively well-rounded, but Storm can't. Even at its best, it's still glass.
The gear for Storm is not designed to be comparable to other schools health, resists, etc. The advice I was giving was to increase already low stats to increase survivability of that school, not survive "better" or the same as other schools.

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
Damage, critical, pip chance, and accuracy are the four keys. For bosses, get tc shields, heal when needed, trap and blade up a bit, and bam.