Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Petition to speed up Khrulhu

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Perhaps it would be a bit shorter if instead of Khrulhu turning to heal the caster after a drain attack on a target, the animation could be redesigned to proceed to the next target. After there are no more viable targets Khrulhu then turns to heal the caster for half of the sum total. So if there are four targets it might shave off 5-7 seconds per extra target, so 15-21 seconds faster if a full group is present? I haven't timed it, lol just a guesstimate

I endorse this message.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
TucsonWizard on Jan 21, 2015 wrote:
That's a boss hitting you - I'm talking about the player hitting the boss and his minions. I'm just saying that in a normal battle a player-cast spell will hit each enemy in turn, not all at the same time. All of this for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. Some enemies might have shields up, others might have traps on them, and depending on school they all might have different inherent spell resistances. If the hit happened to all enemies at once we'd be in the dark as to why one enemy might have been more damaged than another and this info can be critical to know early in a fight especially if it's a first time fight with this particular boss. It's somewhat off topic and not worthy of further argument I just wanted to clarify my statement.
It is not off topic at all, because a hit all at once would speed up the Khrulhu spell animation. And if a boss can do it to us, then Khrulhu could be made to hit all enemies at the same time.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
TucsonWizard on Jan 21, 2015 wrote:
That's a boss hitting you - I'm talking about the player hitting the boss and his minions. I'm just saying that in a normal battle a player-cast spell will hit each enemy in turn, not all at the same time. All of this for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. Some enemies might have shields up, others might have traps on them, and depending on school they all might have different inherent spell resistances. If the hit happened to all enemies at once we'd be in the dark as to why one enemy might have been more damaged than another and this info can be critical to know early in a fight especially if it's a first time fight with this particular boss. It's somewhat off topic and not worthy of further argument I just wanted to clarify my statement.
But with Morganthe and Malistaire, the players might have different shields and resistances and it still works, so I don't see how it wouldn't work with the spells players cast. Sure, it would require new animations and coding, but it is possible.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Lucas Rain on Dec 5, 2014 wrote:
KI got explicit feedback that this spell was too slow when test realm was out, but I can't see that much has been done to improve the speed on this particular spell. Therefore, I'm issuing a petition to remind developers that the players weren't happy. Sign below or comment if you agree.

I appreciate what the developers have done to speed up most of the spell animations in the past, and hope the developers will do something to bring this spell on par with other AoE's. (I've met many people farming Darkmoor who know this as "the slow spell." They don't even call it Khrulhu.)
dr. von approves of this message.

while awesome in theory, the animation for khrulhu is kind of a mess in practice; it was cool at first, but now is just a time-suck, especially when players are forced to look at it so many times over the course of a battle. i have put off doing castle darkmoor on my exalted death wizard because i hate that spell; at this point, poor valerian doesn't even want it, and i might crack if i see it one more time.

there is no reason that any animation should be that long and drawn-out.

-von

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
lewski on Jan 22, 2015 wrote:
But with Morganthe and Malistaire, the players might have different shields and resistances and it still works, so I don't see how it wouldn't work with the spells players cast. Sure, it would require new animations and coding, but it is possible.
Oh I'm not disputing that it would work. My point is that when I hit I like to see the results of the hit if for no other reason than to prepare for the next hit. A boss might have an unknown resistance that wouldn't be readily noticeable if all enemies are hit at once. All in all though we're talking about "SECONDS" of time. I agree, the Khrulhu spell is a bit drawn out but that's part of the beauty of it. If waiting for the spell to play out is cutting into someone's time for some other activity then maybe they shouldn't have entered the fight to begin with. I have no doubt that if the animation only lasted five seconds there would be people complaining that "wow, that spell has so much potential for more animation and KI just blew it!"
Also, Khrulhu is almost like a built-in pause button... gives me time to run to the kitchen to top off my coffee.
I believe Monty Python said it best: "Always look on the bright side of life"

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Mr Talon on Jan 22, 2015 wrote:
Perhaps it would be a bit shorter if instead of Khrulhu turning to heal the caster after a drain attack on a target, the animation could be redesigned to proceed to the next target. After there are no more viable targets Khrulhu then turns to heal the caster for half of the sum total. So if there are four targets it might shave off 5-7 seconds per extra target, so 15-21 seconds faster if a full group is present? I haven't timed it, lol just a guesstimate

I endorse this message.
I think that's an amazing idea.

Survivor
Oct 29, 2014
Robobot1747 on Dec 6, 2014 wrote:
Just have it function like the boss AoEs, which hit everyone at once. It will also look cooler.
agreed, this is probably the best option, still might be too long..... great animation, but as someone else said, we are trying to fight battles, and long animations are horrid to watch over and over and over and over and over........ i am sure you get the point........ and over and over and over and over and over......

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
OK, I've seen the light. I got into a long drawn out battle over the weekend fighting a high level battle alongside two death wizards. Both were using Khrulhu and the enemies were constantly throwing up tower shields. I timed the spell after about the fourth time they cast it... one minute and twenty seconds when used against a full compliment of four enemies. As of now consider me a proponent of shortening the spell. While it's beautifully animated it does get tedious at times.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
TucsonWizard on Jan 28, 2015 wrote:
OK, I've seen the light. I got into a long drawn out battle over the weekend fighting a high level battle alongside two death wizards. Both were using Khrulhu and the enemies were constantly throwing up tower shields. I timed the spell after about the fourth time they cast it... one minute and twenty seconds when used against a full compliment of four enemies. As of now consider me a proponent of shortening the spell. While it's beautifully animated it does get tedious at times.
It's very tedious. It's still my strongest spell, and thus I'll use it. It'd be a lot better if it was shortened in some way, for example making it hit all enemies at once, or going through the animations for each enemy, then returning half of the total damage to you.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
lewski on Jan 28, 2015 wrote:
It's very tedious. It's still my strongest spell, and thus I'll use it. It'd be a lot better if it was shortened in some way, for example making it hit all enemies at once, or going through the animations for each enemy, then returning half of the total damage to you.
Even if it was only shortened by 1/3. I agree with your suggestion - skip the animation between hits where the spell gives health back to the caster...show all four hits individually then all of the health drain to the caster in one shot. This would cut the length of time down between 40 and 50 seconds which would make it a about a 30 second spell - very close to the length of Forest Lord, Deer Knight, Ra etc. and a lot easier to sit through.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2012
I agree it is too slow. When in Darkmoor where it seems to be spammed at times it adds a lot of time to the dungeon that is already really long.

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
lettup on Jan 12, 2015 wrote:
Yeah, most people compare it with Ra, or Forest Lord. Both of those spells take some time, but i think Khrulhu takes the top. People often groan, " This spell takes years", and "Ugh, not this one!" I hear those phrases quite often. I think they could speed up the animation on the part where he comes out of the water, and the part where he takes health away. I Agree to your petition.

Blaze Stormmancer - Victor Of Kan Davasi
I think another time-waster is where it takes a few seconds just to STARE at its target. Like, "Look at meeee! I'm a some sort of awesome-tastic squid swimming in it's own ink. Isn't my animation neat?!?"

Now that we've had it for several months, we're more like, "OK, yeah yeah, you are cool-looking. Please get on with it now, thanks."

Has anyone timed the other shadow-enhanced? The Colossus takes a while too (not quite as long, but still...)

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I hope it's ok to disclose this. Someone, I won't say who, said this is being worked on.

The new version will be SO much better. Khrulhu still drains each player individually, but stops to read from "Mountains of Madness" between each attack, then bakes a cake before returning to the deep.

With that and the new version of Eirikur Axebreaker (the dragon starts a campfire with sticks, then toasts a marshmallow to perfection for each player in the circle) the game will have a more epic feel.

If only Forest Lord and Centaur were longer. Perhaps the soil should form by weathering and lichens before the trees start to grow?

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
When doing Aphrodite and all the tendrils are death... It is nightmarishly slow. Please redesign.

Thank you.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Prince of Shadows on May 14, 2015 wrote:
I hope it's ok to disclose this. Someone, I won't say who, said this is being worked on.

The new version will be SO much better. Khrulhu still drains each player individually, but stops to read from "Mountains of Madness" between each attack, then bakes a cake before returning to the deep.

With that and the new version of Eirikur Axebreaker (the dragon starts a campfire with sticks, then toasts a marshmallow to perfection for each player in the circle) the game will have a more epic feel.

If only Forest Lord and Centaur were longer. Perhaps the soil should form by weathering and lichens before the trees start to grow?
Ummmm.... What? I am so lost right now

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
lewski on May 14, 2015 wrote:
Sorry, I guess we need a sarcasm font. I was kidding about making the longest spells in the game even longer.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
I think what KingsIsle should do is zoom the camera out a bit so that all enemies are seen on the screen, and then Khrulhu can drain the health from all of them at the same time.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
lewski on May 14, 2015 wrote:
Very funny it was. Your sarcasm detector must be malfunctioning.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Prince of Shadows on May 15, 2015 wrote:
Sorry, I guess we need a sarcasm font. I was kidding about making the longest spells in the game even longer.
Absolutely agree on the subject of a Sarcasm Font. I suggest we use Heckvetica. Unfortunately, sarcasm sails over many a cranium on this forum. Not to be sarcastic... or anything even remotely similar.

Explorer
Jan 28, 2012
I'm upset everytime someone casts it. so long!

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
I, too, would like for this spell to be sped up.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2012
I completely agree. The Animation was done very well, and its really cool to look at! It just takes a VERY long time. It would be awesome to see the animation sped up!

See y'all around the Spiral!

Carlos Soulbrand

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
I think all slow aoe spells should get this treatment.
The first time you use it in a match use the original slow animation. (This is for the flavor)
After a spell has been used once, all other instances of that spell should be sped up.

Survivor
Dec 08, 2011
Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Please don't forget Forest Lord or Ra guys; those spells are almost as bad.

As to Khrulhu, petition signed. Other slightly tedious spells are Keeper of the Flame, Catalan, and Goat Monk. Mystic Colossus is actually rather long as well, but currently doesn't have an "oh lord...not this again" vibe that Khrulhu has attained.

Adrian
Exalted , Level 40
Promethean Crafter