Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New drop item, gift item: stitching coupons

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I think we should have coupons for "1 free stitch/unstitch" with Eloise Merryweather.

Here's how the idea might work:
  • players obtain coupons either by gift, by rare boss drop, or perhaps by online games reward
  • recipient goes to the Commons and talks to Eloise
  • inside the Stitch/Unstitch menus, Eloise displays how many stitch coupons you have in your inventory
  • select coupons as the currency you want to use
  • if selected, completing a stitch or unstitch reduces your total by 1 coupon

Here's why it would be a good addition:
  • It's faster than earning crowns, which eases the burden on crown-less players
  • It gives players who have spare crowns a new way to share with their friends who don't.

And how much money is KI making off of stitching anyway? Guessing from recent updates, it seems that KI's marketing model relies mainly on packs, bundles, and memberships. I would wager that KI would earn at least as much as they are now by creating coupons.

"But Lucas, is this needed?"

It's a game. Is anything needed? It's a collection of impractical ideas that come together and make a fun experience. Un-needed things get added all the time, and "neededness" is largely in the eye of the beholder. I'd say look at the benefits (happier players, more earnings), then look at the drawbacks (I don't know--the devs have to do work?).

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
"It's faster than earning crowns,"
People should be very greatful that KingIsle is letting people get some crowns free right now without paying. Asking for anything more is selfishness.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Faster than earning crowns? Farming and hoping for boss drops of any type takes quite a bit of time. Stitching only costs 100 crowns. You can earn 100 free crowns EVERY DAY playing trivia for 15-20 mins. The questions never change, figure out the answers and make it part of game routine and you'll have plenty of crowns for all the stitching you want to do and the occasional card packs.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Alex Stormlight on Dec 2, 2014 wrote:
"It's faster than earning crowns,"
People should be very greatful that KingIsle is letting people get some crowns free right now without paying. Asking for anything more is selfishness.
Crowns can be free because KI makes more money in other ways. The biggest earnings come from hardcore players who spam-buy packs, dedicated players who buy bundles regularly, and consistent subscribers. Don't get me wrong, a few hundred crowns here and there is a nice gift, and I'm grateful for it, but KI can offer them because it doesn't even make a dent in their overall profits.

But there's another part of this that is getting ignored. Coupons would be giftable, meaning you could stitch a 4-piece gear set in seconds, rather than waiting 4 days to earn enough crowns through trivia. There's no question, that's much faster. And, frankly, if I had some extra crowns lying around that I wasn't going to use, and I saw someone asking for a stitch coupon, I would feel pretty good about giving it to them.