Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I need someone to really teach me how to PVP.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
I have tried so many times to learn from other players, watch videos, read discussions, posts, etc., and I'm none the wiser. With so many rules being changed and added, it's so hard to keep up with them all and learn how to PVP! Out of everything in Wizard101, this is the worst part of this game! Ugh, it's so frustrating!

Angel Darkblood (Level 100 Myth)
Adam Darkblood (Level 100 Death)
Jasmine Fireforge (Level 100 Storm)
Aaron Darkblood (Level 40 Life)
Alex Darkblood (Level 40 Balance)

Explorer
Mar 06, 2014
Angel DarkBlood on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:
I have tried so many times to learn from other players, watch videos, read discussions, posts, etc., and I'm none the wiser. With so many rules being changed and added, it's so hard to keep up with them all and learn how to PVP! Out of everything in Wizard101, this is the worst part of this game! Ugh, it's so frustrating!

Angel Darkblood (Level 100 Myth)
Adam Darkblood (Level 100 Death)
Jasmine Fireforge (Level 100 Storm)
Aaron Darkblood (Level 40 Life)
Alex Darkblood (Level 40 Balance)
Well if you are having a hard time go to Duelist101 and read the pvp guides. What pet do you use? What talents does your pet have? You might have the wrong pet for pvp. Or it is because you are not doing the steps correct. I have a level 6 pvp vet. But I also have a level 67. Maybe you spent your train points wrong. Ok here is my train point guide. Ice to tower 5 tp life to the level 10 heal 4 tp infection 1 tp reshuffle 1 tp balance to weakness 3 tp life dispell 1 tp cloak 1 tp. Note this only works for level 35+. If you do not have 14 train points at your level do Zeke's quests up to Mooshu for the train points. There is a trainer for reshuffle and life dispell in wizard city. Go to the death tree in Nightside to get infection if your death its free! If your ice tower is free. So if your level 35 ice get the highest resist gear for your level. If you can not find the stuff for Zeke's quest go watch video guides. Also get a resist pet with spell proof like I have. The tc you put in is blizzard and frostbite I think. But I am giving you an ice guide to pvp. These schools are op in team pvp. But don't do 2v2 3v3 4v4 because there are people with jade gear,puppets,Critical noobs,And smoke screen spammers and tempest spammers, Life wizards can heal people with crazy heals! Only do 1v1 with your ice gear and spell proof pet. You will lose sometimes but do not call the person you lost to something mean. But go to Duelist101 so you can see Sparrow using the ice gear in action and what to train and such. If you get level 5 warlord first then level to 35 or 50. Hope this helps. Adam SoulCaster level 67 Austin level 6 pvp veteran

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
Pets:

My level 100 myth has a mega medusa(maycast fairy spell, spell proof(9%), spell defy(5%), maycast life shield and maycast mythspear).

My level 100 death has an epic deer knight(spell proof(9%), critical hitter(19%), mana gift, and a pet derby talent)-still working on leveling up deer knight to find out what next talent is.

My level 100 storm has a mega ianthine hound(maycast fairy spell, spell proof(9%), spell defy(5%), pierce train{maycast pierce spell}, and sharp shot(+6% universal accuracy).

My level 40 life has an epic ianthine hound(maycast fairy spell, spell proof(10%), spell defy(5%), and maycast life shield)-still working on leveling up ianthine hound to find out what next talent is.

My level 40 balance also has an epic ianthing hound(pain giver(6%), spell defy(5%), and two talents that add agility and will to stats)-still working on leveling up ianthing hound to find out what next talent is.

Character's Cards bought with training points:

All my characters have ice school up to tower shield(5 tp), life school up to satyr heal(6 tp), infection (1 tp), reshuffle card (1 tp), cloak (1 tp), balance school to weakness (3 tp), and life dispel (1 tp), and stun block (1 tp).

So I'm guessing I'm using them wrong if I have everything you just mentioned.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
Or now that I'm really starting to get into learning PVP, maybe I just don't know how to strategize. Actually I'm very sure I don't know how to strategize. LOL

Maybe you could give me some strategies, or maybe there are beginning strategies and as I become more and more familiar with PVP there are expert level strategies. Please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

:)

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Angel DarkBlood on Oct 31, 2014 wrote:
Or now that I'm really starting to get into learning PVP, maybe I just don't know how to strategize. Actually I'm very sure I don't know how to strategize. LOL

Maybe you could give me some strategies, or maybe there are beginning strategies and as I become more and more familiar with PVP there are expert level strategies. Please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

:)
Angel,

I would start with a low level Wizard, maybe around 30, unless Fire, then go Level 22.
Pets are nice, I would at least get double resist at the low levels.
May cast fairy is nice, or the storm heal spell, can't remember the name.
Myth is nice to start with, what I consider the best at level 30 to 50, or Ice isn't too bad.
I'm thinking form the starting out position, not someone that has PvPed for a while.

If you don't have crown gear at this level, I would suggest that you get it.
Then as Adam suggested, go to Duelest101 and find a guide that is for your level and school.
Look at several, and pick out the one that is closes to your style of play. This will give you
a starting strat and deck setup, plus get and pet normally.

From here, you can see what spells you don't use, just remove them, and put in what you really
need to suit your paly style. Pack your Side deck as the Guide does, yes, you need a side deck
in PvP, even practice. I practice the same way I play ranked, with my sidedeck.

You will get comments all the time as you win, Your Terrible at PvP, you don't know how to play,
etc, etc. Take all of these comments as compliments, and go to the next match.
Believe it or not, I would suggest 50 to 100 practice matches, why, because you can refine
your deck, and play. Learn what will hit you in Ranked and what strategies are waiting for you.

Find out how you get into trouble, and how you need to get out of it, and especially when
to heal. Too many don't know when to start healing, and then try after they get boxed into
a corner and can't get out.

If you can find someone in Practice that will train you or give advice, take it.

Good luck.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2011
Advices of Veracity are good.

What I can add is :

- the strategy is not the same with each school, try to improve your way of playing first on one single school, it will be enough for a beginning.

- the strategy is different in 1v1 pvp and teams pvp, very very different.

In any case check if you have the good spells, and if not study what are the ones you need, reset spells and learn the good ones (for example polymorphs worth NOTHING).

How to fill deck and what treasure cards you put in it are also very very important.

And finally which kind of pet do you need ? Offensive and healthy or defensive and healthy ?

That is to say to be good at pvp is not a one and single thing.

For example I am very good in teams pvp as support, but not so good in 1v1, because I did not find the good combination of gears, deck and pet for 1v1... So you have to find the kind of PVP which benefits the most for you, and work enough time to become good at it (it took one year for me, no less, to learn only supporting in teams as death).

Brand Deathstaff, number 8 in leaderboards

Survivor
Aug 02, 2011
Oh, I forgot something else...

There are two tricks even some good players do not really know :

1) never pass, play a card each turn (that is why it is important to have spells that cost no pip in deck, for example tower shields, elemental shields, spirit shields, curse, hex...) because PVP is something like a race of spelling... If you pass it is like you waste a tempo in a dance where each tempo is needed.

2) learn reshuffle and put at least two of them in deck when you play ranked pvp, to be able to drop the cards which are not good at the moment you are wanting to cast a spell. And throw treasure cards instead... With reshuffle the cards you drop will not be wasted, you will get them back after reshuffle.

Brand Deathstaff, number 8 on leaderboards

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Underzevolkano on Nov 12, 2014 wrote:
Oh, I forgot something else...

There are two tricks even some good players do not really know :

1) never pass, play a card each turn (that is why it is important to have spells that cost no pip in deck, for example tower shields, elemental shields, spirit shields, curse, hex...) because PVP is something like a race of spelling... If you pass it is like you waste a tempo in a dance where each tempo is needed.

2) learn reshuffle and put at least two of them in deck when you play ranked pvp, to be able to drop the cards which are not good at the moment you are wanting to cast a spell. And throw treasure cards instead... With reshuffle the cards you drop will not be wasted, you will get them back after reshuffle.

Brand Deathstaff, number 8 on leaderboards
I disagree about passing part.
There are times when you need to pass even if you have cards that cost no pip.
It is situational. That suggestion will only work about 80% of times. But 80 is not 100.
Also about second part I would recommend using 3 reshuffles (minimum).
Sometimes 2 are just not enough and you will get to those situations when your opponent is just too good, and you play on defensive.
I would also recommend that, learn when is a good time to go offense or defense. I saw players throw away their games because of that. Also in between battles take few minute break to calm your self. People also loose games because they are excited about their previous victory or mad because of their previous loss. In pvp you must be calm and never ever under any circumstances bluff. In pvp you must control the situation and dictate the engagement of both you and your opponent. Now the thing that no one can teach you is experience. Ability to predict your opponents moves and be able to coordinate your self. In battle you must always keep your opponent guessing do not make your moves obvious. (That is the best at 1v1 when you are 2nd) Why? Because of prediction 1st person has a chance to counter your attack or heal or whatever you do. It does works both ways and should be used in both ways however All I am saying is where it is suited best.

Explorer
Oct 22, 2009
If you want, I can give you some tips and hints. I have helped people many times with good success.

Look for my team in 3v3 or 4v4 practice. Mostly on my low level team lately: Cori Story, Autumn Blade, Tasha Blue.

I can help you with the masters, not much of a high level PVPer.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm the luckiest player in this game to be able to have so much help from so many experienced PVP players! You guys seriously deserve a round of applause just for deciding to lend me your experience! *claps his hands*

I'm starting to get the hang of it. Even though I still am losing ranked matches, I'm winning more now than I ever have before playing 1v1 PVP. I tried doing 2v2 PVP battles, and i maybe one once or twice out of like the 20 2v2 PVP matches that I can remember. So I've put 2v2 or even 3v3, or 4v4 on hold for now.

I definitely would love to go against any of you in 1v1 and learn more tips. I think I got my perfect deck setup, however, I know that it might need just a little sprucing up, which is why I'm going to continue to advance myself. My only goal in PVP was to be able to get to Sergeant Rank only so I could get the Conviction spell from Diego, and I'm still not their yet....I'm still ranked Private (304), but I'm happy cause I have never been higher than 200 before until I tried to take all of you guys advice. So message me on here and give me a date and time you will be online doing 1v1 PVP, and I'll be there ready to learn!

Thanks again for all the help! Oh, btw, my character has now been muted, unfortunately, but I have another account, characters are only level 17 and 18, but I can make sure one of my other accounts characters are in the audience if you prefer to be able to chat with me.

Thanks again to everybody who sent me messages, and the advice that was given! All of you guys are awesome!