Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Choppy? Stuttering? Skipping?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
I don't know what to call it, but if a visualization could be a stutter, that would be the best description.

I sent in a bug report but haven't heard anything back. I talked to a lot of people before submitting the report to see if maybe it was just me and my computer. Definitely not. We have narrowed down a few things:

1) It appears to only happen in places that are already completed. Since my wizard is maxed, it happens EVERYWHERE except her house. It doesn't happen on every wizard that completes a world as I have 4 wizards in Khrysalis and only my storm is affected, but from people I've talked to, it seems to only happen on wizards that complete a world. When they go on to a new world, it stops. When they go back to completed world, it starts again.

2) It happens only on one wizard, therefore it is most definitely not an issue with my computer.

3) It is not the gear she is wearing. I have removed everything, including mount, and it still happens.

It drives me insane and it's about to put me in the funny farm! I love my storm wizard but can't bear the stuttering, so I don't play her anymore. :(

Jazz

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
First I've heard of this. None of our maxed out wizards have had this happen on any of our 3 family accounts.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
What exactly is happening? I see a lot of explanation regarding efforts to debunk the cause, but I can't tell what's even happening based on what you've said.

Perhaps a better of explanation of the problem would help.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2014
Try uninstalling the game. Then Install the game again.Trust me, you won't loose any thing.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
Destiny Winter on Oct 24, 2014 wrote:
I don't know what to call it, but if a visualization could be a stutter, that would be the best description.

I sent in a bug report but haven't heard anything back. I talked to a lot of people before submitting the report to see if maybe it was just me and my computer. Definitely not. We have narrowed down a few things:

1) It appears to only happen in places that are already completed. Since my wizard is maxed, it happens EVERYWHERE except her house. It doesn't happen on every wizard that completes a world as I have 4 wizards in Khrysalis and only my storm is affected, but from people I've talked to, it seems to only happen on wizards that complete a world. When they go on to a new world, it stops. When they go back to completed world, it starts again.

2) It happens only on one wizard, therefore it is most definitely not an issue with my computer.

3) It is not the gear she is wearing. I have removed everything, including mount, and it still happens.

It drives me insane and it's about to put me in the funny farm! I love my storm wizard but can't bear the stuttering, so I don't play her anymore. :(

Jazz
I think I might know what you are talking about. If it is like when you are moving your character and after awhile get teleported back, that's called rubber-band. There really isn't anything much Kingslsle can do to fix it.

Now if its your screen freezing up randomly that might be because you don't have a good enough Graphics card or your settings you have is like fancy etc. which your computer cant handle well.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
A video is worth a thousand words, but not sure how to get the video out there.

Basically, she takes 4 steps, then stops a second. Takes another 4 steps, then stops a second. If she is standing still, the stutter can still be seen by watching all the animations around her.

Does that make it easier to picture? Not sure how else to describe it.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Hmm... well, I can kind of picture it now, but unfortunately it hasn't given me any new insight as to what it might actually be.

I can't say that I've ever experienced what you're experiencing. Do you have a completely empty quest log? I know I completed Khrysalis, but I didn't turn in all of my side quests even though I completed almost all of them. I'm saving them for the next level cap increase so I can start out with some decent XP towards Level101. But maybe it has something to do with the quest log, though for the life of me I can't figure out why that would affect anything.

I wish I could help, but I honestly can't think of any good suggestions to help you resolve the issue. I hope KI is able to help you sort it out. Good luck!

Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
iDamocles on Oct 26, 2014 wrote:
I think I might know what you are talking about. If it is like when you are moving your character and after awhile get teleported back, that's called rubber-band. There really isn't anything much Kingslsle can do to fix it.

Now if its your screen freezing up randomly that might be because you don't have a good enough Graphics card or your settings you have is like fancy etc. which your computer cant handle well.
This has happened to quite a few people. Yes, I understand that it "sounds" like a problem with my computer, but it is most definitely not. It happens on 1 out of 16 wizards. It happens in worlds and streets, but not in stores and homes. I can port to your home and be fine. The moment we go back to commons areas, it happens. It does not happen in battles inside buildings. Not sure of street battles as I don't do many of those anymore. I'll have to try it.

As many people as I've talked to that have experienced the same thing, and not just recently either, this goes back years, it is in KI's end. They know about it because others have said they've reported it over the years. They were told to delete and reinstall the game. I will do the same thing. It's a pain. I don't want to do it. Waiting for every area of every world to load again is NOT fun. But I will do it as I apparently have no choice.

It would just be really nice if KI would investigate the problem, come up with the solution, and perform the surgery that will fix the boo-boo rather than making the injured party pay for and apply their own bandage!

Defender
May 23, 2009
Destiny Winter on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:

Basically, she takes 4 steps, then stops a second. Takes another 4 steps, then stops a second. If she is standing still, the stutter can still be seen by watching all the animations around her.

My has the same problem but only when she's on a mount. As long as she's on her feet, she is fine whichever world she's in. I thought it was a character issue but after reading your case I'm not as sure. I doubt it is a graphic or computer issue as all my other wizards are fine regardless whether they are on a mount or not. I don't know if I can handle my death going through another world on feet.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
i have this happen but have fixed it KI was not helpful in solving. My max wizards dont have this issue it shows up when making a new wizard and having alot of quest pop up bubbles, an excessive amount makes the game pause for 1 second every other second. close out all the pop ups and close w101 log back in the chops go away. if you have no quests on your max wizard and your drivers are all up to day no spyware etc then I do not have any further detail to assist. hope this may help some?

Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
masterryan1969 on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
i have this happen but have fixed it KI was not helpful in solving. My max wizards dont have this issue it shows up when making a new wizard and having alot of quest pop up bubbles, an excessive amount makes the game pause for 1 second every other second. close out all the pop ups and close w101 log back in the chops go away. if you have no quests on your max wizard and your drivers are all up to day no spyware etc then I do not have any further detail to assist. hope this may help some?
You are a genius! I figured you might have something with the quest book thing. I had just one final quest in my book, fishing. I hate it so avoided it. Decided to test it out and wipe my quest log clean. Finished the fishing quest and BAM, no more stutter! She flies along smooth as the day she was born. :)

Thanks for the insight everyone! So didn't want to reinstall!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Destiny Winter on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:

This happened to me, but only on one wizard... the one who had completed end-game.

I have 5 other wizards who were unaffected, but my exalted diviner was basically unplayable. Combat was fine, but moving was horrendous, due to intermittent lag and freezing, exactly like what you're describing.

I sent a dxdiag to KI Support, and they told me to simply turn off my quest helper. It worked beautifully: no more lag, and no more eyestrain.

Hopefully this will help others having the same trouble.

-von

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Actually, I have noticed this effect for years on my wizards and just ignored it. From where I sit, it's a framerate problem.

I'll describe it this way: you'll will experience smooth animation (adequate fps, or frames per second) for about 3-4 seconds, then a sudden drop in the framerate for a fraction of a second, maybe only 200 milliseconds, then resumed normal function. Then, repeat ad nauseam. It's actually pretty distracting.