Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools Needed?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 25, 2012
I keep wondering this and I'm dying to know what the purpose of the different school lures. After getting the one spell (can't remember what it's called) for seeing where each school fish is, I can see that the location is what matters. So what I am asking really is, do the lures actually do something or are they a waist of gold?

Caitlin LegendBright

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
They are not a waste of gold.

Your chances of catching a fish increases when you use the lure that matches the school of the fish. For example...if the fish you want to catch is fire, then use a fire lure.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
petals08 on Oct 6, 2014 wrote:
I keep wondering this and I'm dying to know what the purpose of the different school lures. After getting the one spell (can't remember what it's called) for seeing where each school fish is, I can see that the location is what matters. So what I am asking really is, do the lures actually do something or are they a waist of gold?

Caitlin LegendBright
Each fish is related to a specific school. Ice lures will obviously work better catching Ice fish, as will Fire to Fire, etc. It is not a waste of gold if you intend to keep fishing

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Using a Rank 1 lure to try and catch a Rank 1 fish will work, but your odds of it getting away are reduced if you also use the right school.

Using a Rank 1 lure to try and catch a Rank 2 fish will work, but your odds of it getting away are increased, and even moreso if it's the wrong school.

Knowing the fish you're trying to catch, its rank, and its school and then using the correct lure are critical to giving you the maximum potential of landing it. You will still catch fish using the wrong lures, but you will probably deal with a lot of frustration as more fish are likely to get away.

I don't know if using Rank 2 lures to catch Rank 1 fish increases your chances of a catch, but I do know it hasn't caused a whole lot of Dekois or 'cudas to get away from me. So I think I can say with a certain level of confidence that it won't decrease your chances the way it would the other way using Rank 1 spells to try and catch Rank 2 fish.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2012
You know, there's a lot of questions like these that can be answered just by going to the wiki section of the fan site called Wizards101 Central. You don't have to wait a day for your posts to go up and another day for everyone elses posts to go up in reply. On top of that, you can edit things there to help other players with the facts you find. I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who wants quicker answers then what you can get here.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
If you're really high in character level, you're making money hand over fist. buying the Lure spells, even if you dont see a need for it, will help you burn thru some gold. Others have mentioned some really good points that I dont need to go over, but i'll say this:

As far as i'm concerned, I'll buy ANYTHING that gives me a better chance of getting the job done, be it fishing, fighting, farming, or pet training

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
I think it is likely that higher level fish will eventually show up, making the better lures needed to be able to catch them. There are many likely looking pools of water in higher level worlds than Mooshu. I'm hoping some of them might be stocked with fish.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
dayerider on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
If you're really high in character level, you're making money hand over fist. buying the Lure spells, even if you dont see a need for it, will help you burn thru some gold. Others have mentioned some really good points that I dont need to go over, but i'll say this:

As far as i'm concerned, I'll buy ANYTHING that gives me a better chance of getting the job done, be it fishing, fighting, farming, or pet training
I totally agree. I find myself buying gear for 50K gold just to get a 2 or 3 percent accuracy boost. I used to worry about it but now I'm just looking for something to "burn thru some gold" as you so aptly put it.
Like they say, "you can't take it with you"!

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
TucsonWizard on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
I totally agree. I find myself buying gear for 50K gold just to get a 2 or 3 percent accuracy boost. I used to worry about it but now I'm just looking for something to "burn thru some gold" as you so aptly put it.
Like they say, "you can't take it with you"!
That makes (at least) 3 of us. I even bought all of the pet food crafting spells with no intention of ever crafting any of them.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
High Five Ghost on Oct 18, 2014 wrote:
That makes (at least) 3 of us. I even bought all of the pet food crafting spells with no intention of ever crafting any of them.
lol yeah, buying all the crafting recipes would certain take a TON of money, but in the end, might be worth it if you're topped out and only dropped/crown gear is better (for your style)

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
High Five Ghost on Oct 18, 2014 wrote:
Same here. For me it was the transmute reagent recipes. I can't remember how many times I've farmed for long periods of time for a specific reagent only to remember that I could easily have used a transmute recipe. After reading your post I went back through all of my wizards and looked at all of the recipes I've never used. Most of them I purchased while I was in the middle of some other quest and, boom, there was a vendor I'd never seen before so I found something that looked promising and bought the recipe. Then proceeded to totally forget that I'd bought it. As it turns out there's some pretty cool stuff I didn't remember I could make! So now I have new tasks at hand... getting all of the stuff needed to craft all of these new found treasures. I guess I'm just too easily distracted.

Explorer
Mar 30, 2011
High Five Ghost on Oct 10, 2014 wrote:
Using a Rank 1 lure to try and catch a Rank 1 fish will work, but your odds of it getting away are reduced if you also use the right school.

Using a Rank 1 lure to try and catch a Rank 2 fish will work, but your odds of it getting away are increased, and even moreso if it's the wrong school.

Knowing the fish you're trying to catch, its rank, and its school and then using the correct lure are critical to giving you the maximum potential of landing it. You will still catch fish using the wrong lures, but you will probably deal with a lot of frustration as more fish are likely to get away.

I don't know if using Rank 2 lures to catch Rank 1 fish increases your chances of a catch, but I do know it hasn't caused a whole lot of Dekois or 'cudas to get away from me. So I think I can say with a certain level of confidence that it won't decrease your chances the way it would the other way using Rank 1 spells to try and catch Rank 2 fish.
you gave me a good patch of information saying that you can catch rank 2 fish with rank 1 lure thx