Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why No Boy No Pink?!

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 29, 2013
Why can't boys wear pink?
Boys should be able to wear pink
I want to rock Black and Pink Spell-casting gear
I want complete freedom of color choice

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Been covered to death. Limited spaces for colors early in the game left pink and brown up in the air. Girls wanted pink more, boys wanted brown more. That's what we got. Reprogramming the entire game to give a couple boys pink clothes and a couple girls brown clothes just isn't worth the cost.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
seethe42 on Jul 21, 2014 wrote:
Been covered to death. Limited spaces for colors early in the game left pink and brown up in the air. Girls wanted pink more, boys wanted brown more. That's what we got. Reprogramming the entire game to give a couple boys pink clothes and a couple girls brown clothes just isn't worth the cost.
How would another color mean reprogramming the game? lol

Defender
May 29, 2013
seethe42 on Jul 21, 2014 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Reprogram the entire game?
Did they have to do that to bring in fishing? What about Shadow Magic? Khrysalis? What about new pets? Mounts? what about new spells? New crafting items?

The answers to these are a big N O
They will not be reprogramming the whole game if they were to implement this

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Epic Patrick on Jul 21, 2014 wrote:
Changing the size of any field in a database requires changes in code. It's not simply adding another color. People who think it's as simple as just saying OK, let's add pink and it's done are naive to realities of programming.

Explorer
Jun 08, 2012
Epic Patrick on Jul 21, 2014 wrote:
It wouldn't, LOL.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
kylesar1 on Jul 21, 2014 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Reprogram the entire game?
Did they have to do that to bring in fishing? What about Shadow Magic? Khrysalis? What about new pets? Mounts? what about new spells? New crafting items?

The answers to these are a big N O
They will not be reprogramming the whole game if they were to implement this
Adding new content isn't the same as changing old content. Right now brown and pink are the same code only differentiated by gender, in order to change that they need to be separated. That does require recoding everything because it means reassigning new codes to both colors for every item in the game. It also means changing the way the game assigns colors and requires more variables in the database. I'm not saying it's not possible to do, but it would require a massive restructuring of the existing game code and database.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2011
I'm a girl so I have pink, but I think that both genders should have all the colors.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
seethe42 on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
Adding new content isn't the same as changing old content. Right now brown and pink are the same code only differentiated by gender, in order to change that they need to be separated. That does require recoding everything because it means reassigning new codes to both colors for every item in the game. It also means changing the way the game assigns colors and requires more variables in the database. I'm not saying it's not possible to do, but it would require a massive restructuring of the existing game code and database.
Seethe is right on the ball here. If I remember right he was also one of the ones in the previous topic addressing this alongside me and a few others that presented this. I don't know if he was the one to first use this reference but I'm going to use it now:

Restructuring old code is like a game of Jenga. One false step and the entirety of it comes crumbling down. And apart from the variables that were mentioned there's also an added issue of retexturing every piece of gender specific clothing to allow for the new color.