Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

At The End Of My Pet Leash......

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Firstly let me say that this post is not meant to come across as sour grapes or spitting venom, it is purely and simply born out of frustration and yes perhaps a little anger too.
I've been playing this game now for three years and I'm quite content with almost every aspect of it...except pet hatching and talents (or more accurately lack of them)
The oldest wizard on my account, James Dreamweaver, Balance had no luck getting a healing talent on any of his school pets, even after numerous hatches so I bought an Evil Sandman for him, still no heal and nobody willing to hatch with me...I ended up buying four Sandmen at a cost of nearly 10,000 crowns until I got spritely. Same thing happened with my Harpy and Pirahna Hunter, np I thought, these things happen its random etc, better luck with another wizard...wrong!
Pyromancer...no spritely from Phoenix or Efreet...hatch Efreet five times..still no heal. Try for a heal with Fennec Fox...nope so I go back to using Availing Dragon from the old Dragon pack that I've had for three years.
Storm Wizard...still having to use Triton since continuous hatches of Deep Leviathan gave zip. Frankenbunny...nada.
Life Wizard...forced to "borrow" my Storm Wizard's Night Hawk from Hawkrider bundle..A life Wiz without a life healing pet..what a joke.
And so on and so on. My point is....yes I know talents are random..yes I know it can take countless hatches but c'mon KI six wizards with numerous pets and nothing???? Either I am very very unlucky or KI has it in for me. It has gotten to the stage where despite the temptation I won't bother trying to hatch or spend more crowns on useless pets. I'd rather pay crowns to gaurantee the talents I want rather than to continue this farsical situation.
Over to you fellow Wizards.
James Dreamweaver
Michael Stormhammer
and others

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Getting pets with the talents you want can be a long journey, but you can do it. It doesn't require buying a lot of pets, or spending many crowns, but usually takes a lot of hatching and a fair bit of training.

Some suggestions:

Seek out help on fan sites like W101 Central and Petnome. Hatching with good pets is the best way to get them. There are guides there and helper groups that offer hatches with many types of pets.

Invest in seeds like Evil Magma Peas, Deadly Helephant Ears, and Couch Potatoes that give high rank snacks. This will provide a good supply of high rank snacks and gold for hatches (by selling TC and low rank snacks).

Learn to use the T/DAOP on Central & use the Wiki so you don't waste effort training pets that don't have the talents you want in their pools. The key to efficiency is selective hatching and training.

Train first generation and transitional pets only to adult, then rehatch. Save your higher level training for pets that have been hatched several times for the talents you want. There is always a random factor, but you have a much better chance "refining" a pet than starting from scratch every time.

While the fails may be daunting, the pet system is one of the most interesting and rewarding parts of the game. You can master it, just relax and go at your own pace.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Prince of Shadows on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
Getting pets with the talents you want can be a long journey, but you can do it. It doesn't require buying a lot of pets, or spending many crowns, but usually takes a lot of hatching and a fair bit of training.

Some suggestions:

Seek out help on fan sites like W101 Central and Petnome. Hatching with good pets is the best way to get them. There are guides there and helper groups that offer hatches with many types of pets.

Invest in seeds like Evil Magma Peas, Deadly Helephant Ears, and Couch Potatoes that give high rank snacks. This will provide a good supply of high rank snacks and gold for hatches (by selling TC and low rank snacks).

Learn to use the T/DAOP on Central & use the Wiki so you don't waste effort training pets that don't have the talents you want in their pools. The key to efficiency is selective hatching and training.

Train first generation and transitional pets only to adult, then rehatch. Save your higher level training for pets that have been hatched several times for the talents you want. There is always a random factor, but you have a much better chance "refining" a pet than starting from scratch every time.

While the fails may be daunting, the pet system is one of the most interesting and rewarding parts of the game. You can master it, just relax and go at your own pace.
Thank You!
Your encouragement has really made me feel better and has also shown me that my situation isn't unusual or rare.
Great advice about the snacks, my Storm Wizard has plenty of seeds but I really didn't think about gardening in relation to pet hatching/training.
Can you tell me what T/DOAP is please?
Is petnome part of Central or is it on another site?
Thank you for all your advice and encouragement Prince.
James Dreamweaver Exhalted

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The problem with trying to get a pet talent like this, by spending crowns, is that you are starting over every time. Instead of doing that, hatch the pets you have already. Hatching 2 1st generation pets of the same type have the same odds of getting any of the talents available as buying a new crown pet to hatch, and it costs you nothing but gold. Once you have one talent you want, start hatching that pet with another pet that has another talent you'd like. Don't go backwards by constantly returning to 1st generation pets. You need to look forward not back.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Enlightened One on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
Thank You!
Your encouragement has really made me feel better and has also shown me that my situation isn't unusual or rare.
Great advice about the snacks, my Storm Wizard has plenty of seeds but I really didn't think about gardening in relation to pet hatching/training.
Can you tell me what T/DOAP is please?
Is petnome part of Central or is it on another site?
Thank you for all your advice and encouragement Prince.
Petnome is another fan site. I think it is on the KI "official" links. I haven't spent much time there, as Central and M101 keep me very busy, but last I knew they had some good pet info and a meetup section. Duelist101 has a "how to" guide as well.

The Talent/Derby Ability Order Project = T/DAOP, is an ongoing effort to discover & share the order of talents on pets. This helps determine the talent pool of a hatched pet before training. It can get a bit complex, but let's say I want a pet with spell proof, spell defy, spritely, and fairy friend. I hatch a pet that has two of the talents with another pet that has the other two. I get an egg. Should i train it?

Suppose my hatched pet has only one rare talent between epic and an uncommon. That would indicate I got spritely OR defy, but not both, since both defy and spritely are rare and should be between epic proof and uncommon fairy. So I know this is not "the one" that has all my desired talents.

epic
rare
uncommon

Missing something, rehatch

vs

epic
rare
rare
uncommon

looking good, train

It isn't always possible to tell every slot, but it can often save you from training to epic or mega in vain hope of getting a talent that wasn't there in the first place.

We have no control over what we get from a hatch, so the best we can do is make informed decisions about what pets to hatch with, and what to train (and how far).

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Prince of Shadows on Jul 2, 2014 wrote:
Petnome is another fan site. I think it is on the KI "official" links. I haven't spent much time there, as Central and M101 keep me very busy, but last I knew they had some good pet info and a meetup section. Duelist101 has a "how to" guide as well.

The Talent/Derby Ability Order Project = T/DAOP, is an ongoing effort to discover & share the order of talents on pets. This helps determine the talent pool of a hatched pet before training. It can get a bit complex, but let's say I want a pet with spell proof, spell defy, spritely, and fairy friend. I hatch a pet that has two of the talents with another pet that has the other two. I get an egg. Should i train it?

Suppose my hatched pet has only one rare talent between epic and an uncommon. That would indicate I got spritely OR defy, but not both, since both defy and spritely are rare and should be between epic proof and uncommon fairy. So I know this is not "the one" that has all my desired talents.

epic
rare
uncommon

Missing something, rehatch

vs

epic
rare
rare
uncommon

looking good, train

It isn't always possible to tell every slot, but it can often save you from training to epic or mega in vain hope of getting a talent that wasn't there in the first place.

We have no control over what we get from a hatch, so the best we can do is make informed decisions about what pets to hatch with, and what to train (and how far).
Thanks Prince,
This is basically the system I have been using without realising it. I have been hatching my Deep Leviathan with a Sea Dragon for Spritely and it's other Universal Stats. I have been writing down which talents the new pet has (Epic,Ultra Rare etc) In this way I bred out the selfish Deep Levy talents and replaced them with either rare, ultra rare epic etc.
I wrote down which talents each pet had so I knew which talents may manifest, always hoping for Spritely. I did have two or more rare spots in the talent pool so I knew there was a good chance of gaining Spritely. So far I haven't gotten this talent although it is dormant within my Deep Leviathian's talent pool and I have done the same with my Balance Sabertooth, so just a couple of questions....

1 At what age should I stop training if the talent I want hasn't manifested but is already dormant?
2 Should I keep using my Sea Dragon to hatch with my 3rd 4th etc gen Deep Leviathan and Sabertooth if both the Saber and Levy already have a talent pool of rare, ultra rare and epic.

this second question is always the part that tends to shake my confidence in hatching and continuing as it seems a matter of luck at this point, oh BTW even though I would like other talents like Defy, Proof etc atm I am only concentrating on trying to achieve my first success with a healing talent (spritely)
Thank You for all your valuable insight Prince

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
I'm always willing to hatch when people need help.

While I am still missing the elusive SPUDF ( sprite, proof, unicorn, defy, and fairy), I have many other "good" pets. I have had many many many fails in pursuit of this pet, but I will get there eventually. I keep getting side tracked and working on other projects.

I do have the following pets that are considered good "healing" pets.

Eyebendito - fairy, sprite, proof, defy, may cast tower shield

Mythic Beast - fairy, sprite, proof, defy, may cast vengeance.

I also have several pets with 2 heals various combinations of sprite, fairy, unicorn, and healing current and various mixes of other talents, damage, resist, etc

Just let me know if you would like to meet up in game. Please choose a time and date more than 24 hours from when you post, (so it has a chance to be approved and I have a chance to see it). Make sure you include a place to meet, a realm, and time (make sure you include the time zone.). Hatches with either of those pets depending on what you use typically cost around 40,000+. Make sure you have enough gold and an available hatching timer.

Hope to see you in game!

Calamity PixieShade, level 100

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Calamity PixieShad... on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
I'm always willing to hatch when people need help.

While I am still missing the elusive SPUDF ( sprite, proof, unicorn, defy, and fairy), I have many other "good" pets. I have had many many many fails in pursuit of this pet, but I will get there eventually. I keep getting side tracked and working on other projects.

I do have the following pets that are considered good "healing" pets.

Eyebendito - fairy, sprite, proof, defy, may cast tower shield

Mythic Beast - fairy, sprite, proof, defy, may cast vengeance.

I also have several pets with 2 heals various combinations of sprite, fairy, unicorn, and healing current and various mixes of other talents, damage, resist, etc

Just let me know if you would like to meet up in game. Please choose a time and date more than 24 hours from when you post, (so it has a chance to be approved and I have a chance to see it). Make sure you include a place to meet, a realm, and time (make sure you include the time zone.). Hatches with either of those pets depending on what you use typically cost around 40,000+. Make sure you have enough gold and an available hatching timer.

Hope to see you in game!

Hi Calamity,
Thank you for your kind hatching offer, you have certainly hatched some very worthwhile pets for yourself. Any pet that has two heals and effectively "doubles" my chances at gaining a healing talent would be most welcome ( and the chance of perhaps getting an Eyebendito soulds pretty good too lol)
One of the main problems I have with hatching is my time zone. I live in Australia and the problem I had before was that a kind player from the forums offered to hatch with me and we roughly worked out the time difference and picked a realm but alas, she wasn't there, so even being a little out can mean we will miss each other, not to mention that here in Australia we are a day ahead of the United States and Europe.
When someone says I will meet you in X realm at 10.30pm Aussie time on Friday I need to know wether they mean my Friday or their Friday.
Should we be able to overcome these small obstacles I'd love to hatch with you Calamity and thank you once again for your kind offer.
James Dreamweaver
Michael Stormhammer Exhalted

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Firstly let me say that this post is not meant to come across as sour grapes or spitting venom, it is purely and simply born out of frustration and yes perhaps a little anger too.
I've been playing this game now for three years and I'm quite content with almost every aspect of it...except pet hatching and talents (or more accurately lack of them)
The oldest wizard on my account, James Dreamweaver, Balance had no luck getting a healing talent on any of his school pets, even after numerous hatches so I bought an Evil Sandman for him, still no heal and nobody willing to hatch with me...I ended up buying four Sandmen at a cost of nearly 10,000 crowns until I got spritely. Same thing happened with my Harpy and Pirahna Hunter, np I thought, these things happen its random etc, better luck with another wizard...wrong!
Pyromancer...no spritely from Phoenix or Efreet...hatch Efreet five times..still no heal. Try for a heal with Fennec Fox...nope so I go back to using Availing Dragon from the old Dragon pack that I've had for three years.
Storm Wizard...still having to use Triton since continuous hatches of Deep Leviathan gave zip. Frankenbunny...nada.
Life Wizard...forced to "borrow" my Storm Wizard's Night Hawk from Hawkrider bundle..A life Wiz without a life healing pet..what a joke.
And so on and so on. My point is....yes I know talents are random..yes I know it can take countless hatches but c'mon KI six wizards with numerous pets and nothing???? Either I am very very unlucky or KI has it in for me. It has gotten to the stage where despite the temptation I won't bother trying to hatch or spend more crowns on useless pets. I'd rather pay crowns to gaurantee the talents I want rather than to continue this farsical situation.
James Dreamweaver
Michael Stormhammer
and others
I really would like to try to meet up again. I am sure we are getting the time zones messed up.

Mary

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
Enlightened One on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
Hi Calamity,
Thank you for your kind hatching offer, you have certainly hatched some very worthwhile pets for yourself. Any pet that has two heals and effectively "doubles" my chances at gaining a healing talent would be most welcome ( and the chance of perhaps getting an Eyebendito soulds pretty good too lol)
One of the main problems I have with hatching is my time zone. I live in Australia and the problem I had before was that a kind player from the forums offered to hatch with me and we roughly worked out the time difference and picked a realm but alas, she wasn't there, so even being a little out can mean we will miss each other, not to mention that here in Australia we are a day ahead of the United States and Europe.
When someone says I will meet you in X realm at 10.30pm Aussie time on Friday I need to know wether they mean my Friday or their Friday.
Should we be able to overcome these small obstacles I'd love to hatch with you Calamity and thank you once again for your kind offer.
James Dreamweaver
Michael Stormhammer Exhalted
Being in Australia does make it a bit more complicated arranging a time to meet but my schedule is fairly flexible.

I guess my first question is are you playing the game on the American servers so it's even possible to meetup?(Are there Australia servers? I don't even know).

If you give me the date and time in Australia (just make sure to include your time zone) I can convert it to my time zone, no problems. I have no problems meeting in the middle of the night if that is the time you select. I have very young children and one has me up around the clock anyway :-D.

I'll be happy use the Eyebendito if you like. (I know unicorn is in his talent pool also just didn't develop. Many of this "kids" get that ability, healing current isn't in the talent pool though...just extra info)

Just let me know,

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
I really would like to try to meet up again. I am sure we are getting the time zones messed up.

Mary
Hi Mary,
Yes you are the "kind" player I was refering to
Would you like to try for another meeting time and realm, perhaps we might have better luck this time lol.
It is so tantalizing having offers of hatching with some great pets only to miss the chance by perhaps a matter of less than half an hour.
Lets see if we can work out a solution (perhaps another player from my time zone has hatched with a player from the States and can provide us with answers.
Best Wishes
James Dreamweaver
Michael Stormhammer

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Calamity PixieShad... on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
Being in Australia does make it a bit more complicated arranging a time to meet but my schedule is fairly flexible.

I guess my first question is are you playing the game on the American servers so it's even possible to meetup?(Are there Australia servers? I don't even know).

If you give me the date and time in Australia (just make sure to include your time zone) I can convert it to my time zone, no problems. I have no problems meeting in the middle of the night if that is the time you select. I have very young children and one has me up around the clock anyway :-D.

I'll be happy use the Eyebendito if you like. (I know unicorn is in his talent pool also just didn't develop. Many of this "kids" get that ability, healing current isn't in the talent pool though...just extra info)

Just let me know,

Hi Calamity,
As far as I know there are no Australian servers, just The America's and Europe. ATM I am keener than ever about hatching. I hatched my Deep Leviathan with someone's Avenging Fossil and got a Deep Leviathan with almost exactly the same number of talents (Epic, Ultra Rare etc) in almost exactly the same slots but even knowing Spritely is there it still hasn't manifested so before I go training to another level and getting the exact same talent again (both parent and offspring have manifested gives Tower Shield, Spell proof) I would much rather meet up with you and add potentially more heals.
How about we try and meet outside the hatchery (by the lamp post) in Vampire Realm. I could met you there at say 6pm Australian Eastern Standard Time on Tuesday 8th of July which will actually be your Monday, please let me know if this is enough notice for you Calamity.
Thanks
Michael Stormhammer level 100 (The wizard that needs to get a heal for Deep Levy )
P.S. If you're agreeable we can always friend each other so we can see when we are online together for any future hatchings

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
That should be my 3am tonight! So I will see you then :-D

~Calamity PixieShade

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Calamity PixieShad... on Jul 6, 2014 wrote:
That should be my 3am tonight! So I will see you then :-D

~Calamity PixieShade
Hi Calamity,
I just thought I'd let you know on the progress of our "offspring" lol and to seek your advice.
Sir Jasper has the following talents/slots
Epic
Rare
Epic Gives Tower Shield Card
Rare
Epic Spellproof (6%)
Rare
Epic Piercemonger Gives one pierce card)
Epic
Epic
Ultra Rare
As you can see, no healing talent so far Do you think I should keep training him to the 1000exp mark or just use him to rehatch?
Michael Stormhammer
P.S anyone elses opnion is also welcome

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
Enlightened One on Jul 11, 2014 wrote:
Hi Calamity,
I just thought I'd let you know on the progress of our "offspring" lol and to seek your advice.
Epic
Rare
Rare
Epic Spellproof (6%)
Rare
Epic
Epic
Ultra Rare
As you can see, no healing talent so far Do you think I should keep training him to the 1000exp mark or just use him to rehatch?
Michael Stormhammer
Rehatch, let me know if you want to set up another time :D

~Calamity PixieShade

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Hi Calamity,
Epic
Rare
Rare
Epic Spellproof (6%)
Rare
Epic
Epic
Ultra Rare
Michael Stormhammer
Hatch again. Spell Proof is good, but you don't need those cards (since both are easy to get as TC) and 1000 EXP is a lot to gamble on one heal. Try hatching that pet with one that has Proof and a couple heals, but does not have the unwanted talents in its pool. I have pets like that you are welcome to hatch with. It's easier to set up hatches through Central though, since it is real time. My name there is the same if you want to contact me.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Hi Calamity,
Epic
Rare
Rare
Epic Spellproof (6%)
Rare
Epic
Epic
Ultra Rare
Michael Stormhammer
Well I now see my time difference problem - it's a day not just hours that have to be considered. My non-worldlyness is showing, LOL. I am glad you were able to meet up with someone though.

You should stop training any pet when you do not receive a wanted talent by Adult. The idea is to build in wanted talents and hatch out unwanted ones.

Mary

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Calamity PixieShad... on Jul 11, 2014 wrote:
Rehatch, let me know if you want to set up another time :D

~Calamity PixieShade
Thanks Calamity and Prince,
I was a little confused about this point since I've read some posts by people who have said they would have missed out on the talent they wanted if they hadn't trained to Epic and beyond.
Mary, don't feel bad about the full day lag thing, it was something I didn't even think about mentioning lol.
I would love to hatch again, I'm facing the same problem with my Sabertooth as I can't find anyone with healing talents to hatch with.
To make it as easy as possible for everyone (hopefully) I will meet up with anyone in the Vampire Realm by the lamp post out side the hatchery at 9pm every Monday. This is United States time and date I've calculated which I thought would still be a reasonable hour.
Calamity is already friend with my Storm Wizard (Michael Stormhammer) but I will also bring along my Balance Wizard (James Dreamweaver)
Oh and could you tell me Calamity (or Mary or Prince) since we have hatched with the potential of two heals manifesting, will we lose those potential talents next hatch or will we be increasing our chances even more, I'm not really sure how the stat thing works
Thank you everyone for your fantastic support and offers,
James and Michael

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Every hatch with a pet that has what you want improves your odds of getting it. So most of us hatch, train only to adult, hatch again, train to adult, hatch again before training more. You might get a wanted talent at epic or mega, but since EXP and energy cost go up with every level, it actually costs less in snacks and training time to hatch again, rather than train a pet with unwanted talents to a higher level.

My typical pattern would be:

Hatch one: My 1st generation pet X "perfect" pet = my second gen baby. Train to adult

Hatch two: My 2nd gen pet X "perfect" pet = My third gen baby. Train to adult.

Hatch three: My 3rd gen pet X "perfect' pet = My 4th gen baby. Here's where the questions start:

Does my talent pool appear to contain everything I want? Are the stats high enough for my goals?

If yes, train to teen. If no, hatch again.

At teen - is that a wanted talent? If yes, train to adult. If no, hatch again.

At adult - is that a wanted talent? If yes, train to ancient. If no, hatch again.

From there on, keep training if you keep getting wanted talents. Stop and rehatch if you don't.

The US has 4 major time zones, so I'm not sure which 9pm you are meaning. Monday 9pm CDT (which is middle US and Kingsisle time) would be Tuesday noon AEST. I can try to catch up with you then.

Delver
Nov 05, 2011
I don't think the evil sandman even has spritely...
Anyways, training for will makes your pet more likely to have a may cast.
At least it works for me.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
MadisonWinterHorn on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
Yes Madison,
Evil Sandman does have Spritely, Mr Bentely, my Sandman is my second oldest pet and has that talent.
Even as I get towards the end of Krysallis I still use him for his healing even though as a Balance Wizard I do have healing spells.
It's just a little "extra" insurance
Cheers
James Dreamweaver and Mr Bentley

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Prince of Shadows on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
Every hatch with a pet that has what you want improves your odds of getting it. So most of us hatch, train only to adult, hatch again, train to adult, hatch again before training more. You might get a wanted talent at epic or mega, but since EXP and energy cost go up with every level, it actually costs less in snacks and training time to hatch again, rather than train a pet with unwanted talents to a higher level.

My typical pattern would be:

Hatch one: My 1st generation pet X "perfect" pet = my second gen baby. Train to adult

Hatch two: My 2nd gen pet X "perfect" pet = My third gen baby. Train to adult.

Hatch three: My 3rd gen pet X "perfect' pet = My 4th gen baby. Here's where the questions start:

Does my talent pool appear to contain everything I want? Are the stats high enough for my goals?

If yes, train to teen. If no, hatch again.

At teen - is that a wanted talent? If yes, train to adult. If no, hatch again.

At adult - is that a wanted talent? If yes, train to ancient. If no, hatch again.

From there on, keep training if you keep getting wanted talents. Stop and rehatch if you don't.

The US has 4 major time zones, so I'm not sure which 9pm you are meaning. Monday 9pm CDT (which is middle US and Kingsisle time) would be Tuesday noon AEST. I can try to catch up with you then.
Hi Prince
The 9pm I was refering to was KI time. I based it on this because when KI goes offline for maintenance it is 3AM CDT which correlates to 6pm here in the Eastern Australian States and of course, because we are 16 hours ahead of the U.S. it would be Tuesday here but Monday KI time and day.
I hope I'm not confusing everyone even more lol
Cheers
Michael and James

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
MadisonWinterHorn on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
Sorry, but that is all false.

Spritely is the rare talent in position #5 on the Evil Sandman.

Attributes have no effect on what talents your pet gets. Pet talents are all determined at hatch. Training for Will or anything else will not change your chance of getting a talent, or of the cast rate once you have it.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
James Dreamweaver
Michael Stormhammer
and others
Um I have two ghost dragons(one's a hybrid) and my first one got spritely when he was an ancient and my second one got it when she turned into a teen...so...it's been pretty easy for me, I usually get what I want.