Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Will Wizard101 ever get old?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 09, 2010
I've been playing Wizard101 for a long time, about 3-4 years, and I got back on a couple months ago noticing where did everyone go? I missed those times where you're just roaming the streets of Krokotopia, Marleybone, Mooshu, Dragonspyre, Celestia, Zafaria, Avalon, Azteca, or Krysalis, GH, WT, WYST, and you just see all those other people doing there own quest and business. But now... "I walk a lonely road, the only road that I had ever-" haha.. anyone? Well lets get back to the point. Also, isn't a level 100 cap kinda pushing it for any game? I mean, I'd never get tired of playing this game but what about other people? It's also getting to the point where everyone is so OP and if they want a challenging game they need SUPER high health and a whole bunch of cheats. I miss those times and I wish it could just come back in a snap. I learned the ways of a solo player and I'm finding friends on Aquila but now let me ask you the question, Do you think Wizard101 will get old?

Level 91
Justin HawkHunter

Defender
May 11, 2012
I think it will be different for each player. The ones that want a more hard-core gaming experience will tend to stick around. The ones who started playing Wizard for the fun, easy-going gaming experience that it used to be may find it getting old, because it seems the game has gotten far away from what it once originally was. I have been playing for about 3 years now, and I find it getting old. I use to be on Wizard every chance I got (sometimes a couple times a day); now it's once every 3-5 days, and I don't always stick around long. I have been stuck for so long, it's more frustrating than fun anymore, and even if I manage to get by where I am now, the cheating bosses and hours long dungeons hold no appeal for me (not to mention I don't have the time to run any of them). I have actually already found a new MMO game that I have started playing that holds the easy magic, joy, and fun for me that Wizard once did, and I find myself playing that daily now instead of Wizard. If Wizard ever gets back to it's original roots, I will come flying back in a heartbeat, but for now, I am slowly saying bye bye. And as much as I love seeing new bundles come out (and have seen so many I would buy if I knew I was going to stay), I won't be putting any more money into the game.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
thatw10oneguy on Jun 26, 2014 wrote:
I've been playing Wizard101 for a long time, about 3-4 years, and I got back on a couple months ago noticing where did everyone go? I missed those times where you're just roaming the streets of Krokotopia, Marleybone, Mooshu, Dragonspyre, Celestia, Zafaria, Avalon, Azteca, or Krysalis, GH, WT, WYST, and you just see all those other people doing there own quest and business. But now... "I walk a lonely road, the only road that I had ever-" haha.. anyone? Well lets get back to the point. Also, isn't a level 100 cap kinda pushing it for any game? I mean, I'd never get tired of playing this game but what about other people? It's also getting to the point where everyone is so OP and if they want a challenging game they need SUPER high health and a whole bunch of cheats. I miss those times and I wish it could just come back in a snap. I learned the ways of a solo player and I'm finding friends on Aquila but now let me ask you the question, Do you think Wizard101 will get old?

Level 91
Justin HawkHunter
You kind of answered your own question when pointing out that no one is around.
Yes, it's gotten old. Yes, lots of long-time users are nowhere to be found anymore.
Though I see nothing wrong with the level cap... why continue to play if you aren't going to level up or have a goal?

Survivor
Jun 16, 2014
I haven't played that long but I see allot of people...Just switch to a crowded realm.

Defender
May 23, 2009
For me, my muse is still with W101. W101 has become a nostalgia for me. I started playing at "adult" age. However, I was considered as an adult with no maturity and had zero social experience at that time. I discovered W101 in 2009, just after my Internet trolling and hacking days ended because I had nothing to do after work. This may sound ridiculous, but I had to plan the way I would play with my family such as (what gear my wizards would wear at certain levels, should I play in stints and so on.) Every decision made in the game was ridiculously delicate and immaculate. The most "weirdest" decision was for me to create a guy myth wizard. I guess they wanted to know if the perception of myth reminded of my old self. However, to prevent me from reverting to my old ways, my myth was created as a guy. At the very least, I would have to act somewhat differently. I always get a good laugh from playing this game, even though I am no longer experimented by my own family. Wizard 101 has a very magical touch.

Grace Skullshade, Level 100 .
Mycin Skullshade, Level 98 .
Destiny Skullshade, Level 90 .
Jose Skullshade, Level 70 .
Valerian Skullshade, Level 21 .

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Autumn Rain on Jun 26, 2014 wrote:
I think it will be different for each player. The ones that want a more hard-core gaming experience will tend to stick around. The ones who started playing Wizard for the fun, easy-going gaming experience that it used to be may find it getting old, because it seems the game has gotten far away from what it once originally was. I have been playing for about 3 years now, and I find it getting old. I use to be on Wizard every chance I got (sometimes a couple times a day); now it's once every 3-5 days, and I don't always stick around long. I have been stuck for so long, it's more frustrating than fun anymore, and even if I manage to get by where I am now, the cheating bosses and hours long dungeons hold no appeal for me (not to mention I don't have the time to run any of them). I have actually already found a new MMO game that I have started playing that holds the easy magic, joy, and fun for me that Wizard once did, and I find myself playing that daily now instead of Wizard. If Wizard ever gets back to it's original roots, I will come flying back in a heartbeat, but for now, I am slowly saying bye bye. And as much as I love seeing new bundles come out (and have seen so many I would buy if I knew I was going to stay), I won't be putting any more money into the game.

My sentiments exactly.

I have played for 3 years now. used to spend 12+ hours in-game a day; now, I play only on weekends, when I know that the help and company I need to make the upper levels less boring are available.

I loved the magic of the first arc. I've been a Potterhead ever since I was little (I risk dating myself here, but I was 12 when the first book came out), which is why I started playing this game. But it's just veered so far from its original aim: gone are the days of quality writing and lighthearted fun that kept me going through a lot of IRL stuff.

Enter poor storytelling (sorry, KI, but Morganthe is/was the worst, most-underdeveloped character in the history of ever), time-consuming cheats, elitism, a greater reliance on luck and pay-to-win than actual strategy, and catering to pvp'ers who do nothing but whine that *insert spell here* is overpowered.

My subs are done in 6 months; unless some drastic changes are made, I will not be returning.

Defender
May 09, 2010
Indeed, there are those specific times, but truthfully: Nothing lasts forever. The dinosaurs (And Aztecasaurs ) serve as Grim reminder that not everything is "Invincible." There are hundreds of games out there, with each, it's own supporters. Who knows? Maybe the COD Franchise will come to a halt. As another example, World of Warcraft has been going for a long time, and updates are very rare and uncommon in that specific game.

And Besides, maybe you're not looking in the right place! Keep in mind that there are various realms, and many worlds. Wizard city is where most of us reside (obviously) and there are always people exploring other places. And not everyone can be on 24/7 and what-not.

Blaze Stormmancer

Defender
May 11, 2012
oneflaw on Jun 26, 2014 wrote:
I haven't played that long but I see allot of people...Just switch to a crowded realm.
Yes, in the crowded realms there are people to be found, but it is usually in the free to play areas or somewhere in the first arc worlds. You have been playing for about 10 days or so. Wait until you get up into Avalon, Azteca, and the other higher level worlds. Crowded realm or not, the players are few and far between.

Respectfully,

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
This is my first time using this message board after many years of playing. I felt the need to speak my mind after reading posts about people saying this game may be getting too old.

As far as I am concerned this game will NEVER get old or boring as long as they keep adding content. I am always looking forward to the new spells, new pets, new levels, new equipment, new quests, and more that is added to the game.

I suspect it is only a matter of time until they add a new school of magic for wizards to play, new equipment slots such as charms, trinkets, and even new statistics for items.

I will personally play this game with my family as long as it is around.

Ian - 85 Death Wizard

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
I don't think it will. Sometimes I take a break, but there's always something fun to do when I come back.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
I have been playing for a long time (just under 2 years) and I still enjoy playing. I don't think it is getting old.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
lettup on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
Indeed, there are those specific times, but truthfully: Nothing lasts forever. The dinosaurs (And Aztecasaurs ) serve as Grim reminder that not everything is "Invincible." There are hundreds of games out there, with each, it's own supporters. Who knows? Maybe the COD Franchise will come to a halt. As another example, World of Warcraft has been going for a long time, and updates are very rare and uncommon in that specific game.

And Besides, maybe you're not looking in the right place! Keep in mind that there are various realms, and many worlds. Wizard city is where most of us reside (obviously) and there are always people exploring other places. And not everyone can be on 24/7 and what-not.

Blaze Stormmancer
I have 3 exalted wizards in Khrysalis. I am also an adult with a job.

I work odd hours and therefore cannot play at peak times; this, coupled with the fact that my time-zone puts me 2-4 hours ahead of most other players, means that finding a group is usually not an option. Most of the time I'm online, the words are empty and I have entire servers to myself. Unless it's a popular dungeon on a weekend, I have never gotten any results from the Team Up feature.

But yes, there are hundreds of other games out there. And I may be looking for this one's replacement soon.

Explorer
May 29, 2014
I been playing since I was little I never get tired of this game.Hopefully Wizard101 won't lose anymore
players and not shut down .This Game is My Childhood.

Saffron Life
Magus
Theurgist

Survivor
Jun 16, 2014
Autumn Rain on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
Yes, in the crowded realms there are people to be found, but it is usually in the free to play areas or somewhere in the first arc worlds. You have been playing for about 10 days or so. Wait until you get up into Avalon, Azteca, and the other higher level worlds. Crowded realm or not, the players are few and far between.

Respectfully,
I suppose that's so, either way I have r/l help to help me, so I know I can get help later on in the higher area's but I do realize that others may not have that help.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
It's what you make of it, I think there should be harder worlds/more worlds for that matter, and new spells added often along with new schools now and then. I get it would be hard work, but in my opinion it would make the game better. But thats just me. Others might prefer other things, but notice, this is most likely not going to happen. If you decide that there's more for you to do once you've maxed out multiple accounts , then go for it, have fun. But if you feel like there's nothing left for you, then obviously turn it off, walk away from your computer and don't play anymore. Like i said, it's what you make of it.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
It got old for me.

Maybe that's because I played other games and got more into them.
So yes, it will get old.
-Molly 90

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Wizard101 got old already. I still play because I'm hoping a few strategic changes will happen to revitalize it, that's part of the reason why I'm lobbying so hard on the boards.

But instead of going back and fixing outdated, broken features of the game, KI's team seems to prefer to just pile more new stuff on top of the old, while ignoring the player base that offers up good ideas for improvement.

Did anybody even ask for fishing? I don't remember that post. I remember seemingly hundreds of posts about fixing PvP and fixing old glitches and balance issues though.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I have found certain aspects of the game have gotten "old" for me.

Defeat and do not collects, farming, too many things being "chance to get" or luck. I do seek my level in the game and now pick and choose more of what I will and will not bother with. After level 60 I am not happy with lack of proper general base gear as worlds progress in difficulty and I don't seem to be able to match proper gear for it. I am tired of looking it up online to figure out "how to do" things in the game. As things started to loop to dependance on another such as pet training, gardening, crafting and farming I let that go for the most part.

I want a lot less out of a game then Wizard101 now presents me with. I am a very low keyed gamer with a non gaming mentality. I have abandoned all 3 of my upper world wizards in AZ and KS and opt now to end game in Zafaria or at most Avalon with new wizards. After creating/deleting and recreating every school a few times now even that is getting old.

Mary