Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

That awkward moment when....

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jan 27, 2010
That awkward moment when someone breaks your trap....how do you react/feel when someone uses your trap without permission.

Defender
Jul 11, 2013
I'm okay with people who "break my trap". I allow players to use my traps as they wish to. But if I put a lot of traps on an enemy and/or boss, and someone else uses it, then I get a little mad.

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
I don't mind if someone uses my trap on a large damage spell. My pet peve is when someone uses it on a wand spell or a small damage spell. Sometimes I point it out to the person who did it, sometimes I don't. It depends on the situation and the person who did it. In the beginning levels you have to take into consideration that some people don't know better, I was like that when I first began playing and did not know what everything did or pay attention to what was on. Luckily for me I met a person who took the time to explain things and let me know when I made mistakes so I finally learned to pay attention and learn when to and when not to attack. So some discernment and understanding my be in order.

Scarlet ShadowStone Level 74
Scarlet SwiftRiver Level 20

Defender
May 11, 2012
Frustrated at first, but sometimes goofs happen. Sometimes there are so many things swirling around the enemy, you can't really tell what is what. I've goofed and used traps belonging to another wizard myself by mistake, but I always apologize and take special care so that it doesn't happen again and put a new trap up for the person if I can.

If a person keeps intentionally using the traps I have put up, then I get upset, especially if I have specifically asked the wizard not to use them.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
As long as they don't use a wand hit, I don't care. To me, a placed trap is fair game. I never say anything about someone using my traps. In fact after I place a trap I tell them they can use it. Getting angry about someone using your traps is petty and really not worth the effort.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Surround yourself with mature/skilled players,and you will never have to address this issue.

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
If they are a menu chatter: I'm mad but I know that they are just a kid so I just say "Please do not use up my traps" and let it slide.

If they have text chat (or are muted): I either react the same way I do with menu chat or tell them to not do it again. Either way though, I'm really mad ... especially when I'm stacking for a huge attack and they use all my traps up AND everyone else in the battle says: "wow" or "nice"

Sarai Thunderstrider
Master

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
If they are a menu chatter: I'm mad but I know that they are just a kid so I just say "Please do not use up my traps" and let it slide.

If they have text chat (or are muted): I either react the same way I do with menu chat or tell them to not do it again. Either way though, I'm really mad ... especially when I'm stacking for a huge attack and they use all my traps up AND everyone else in the battle says: "wow" or "nice"

Sarai Thunderstrider
Master

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I try not to take the "game" serious enough to let things that happen in it bother me. Back when I started the game no one seemed to really know how to play so a lot was just let go. To bad we all don't have that attitude now.

Mary

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
the people I quest with put traps to be used and none of us care who uses them. Many of us carry feint spells so we just replenish what we use and try very hard not to wand them away lol

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
It doesn't get on my nerves unless someone breaks what was legitimately the last trap in my deck.

Explorer
May 29, 2014
It is a little annoying i was about to cast one million on a lost soul and then some menu chatter joined the battle and killed the lost soul :/ all the wasted traps and blades.... GONE
But some people do that to play around and i don't find it funny at all
Saffron life

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
OMG I want the one in a million badge so bad....

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
My first wizard was balance, early on it became clear that when playing in a group I was hardly ever going to get to use my own traps. That's because balance traps are triggered by any school's damage, not just the same school's damage like other schools. I adapted, and eventually quit worrying about doing damage in a group, I support with blades, healing, traps and shields and let the other players do the hitting. Occasionally I accumulate a full set of pips in front of me and toss in a judgement to use them up, that's about it.

Lately I've been leveling a storm wizard; with storm it's a little different. My storm traps don't get burned much, because I rarely group with another storm. When they do, I don't get upset -- IF the attack defeated the creature. I DO get annoyed when someone throws an attack too weak to defeat the creature and burns my trap in the process. With storm there's just no excuse for that. Your attacks are plenty strong enough to defeat any target in one shot, why the heck are you burning traps with an inadequate attack? Leaving a creature damaged but undefeated is just lame. Typically it will find a way to heal the damage and you just have to start over again.

Some players seem to have a "thing" about generating big damage hits, its some sort of power trip for them. I don't give a hoot, I just want the enemy defeated. I don't care if I launch the attack, some one else does, or what. But when you do things that make the fight take longer, like burn traps with a lame understrength attack, you are going to tick me off.

Explorer
May 29, 2014
@BalancePrincess I can you help you if you want :D

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
Aw thx ur too kind but no thx....i don't even think i can do it without treasure cards at this point LOL

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
Meh, high attack attack, don't care. Meh, low attack, annoyed. Wand, are you crazy I think you should flee.

Yeah, those are my reactions over stuff XD

Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
I get really MAD!!!

every time I lay a trap I'm going " don't use the ice spells!" (as I am ice)
once when I was in 4v4 pvp i lay ice traps for all 4 people for a treasure card (frost giant). then someone did a blizzard and used all my 4 ice traps and i had none left in my deck (because i can only have 4 copies of each spell in my deck) and i was really mad! :)

Kaitlyn Ironhammer, level 46 Thaumaturge ()

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
I'm a Balance wizard so I put my traps and blades out there for everyone to use.
But if they brake the trap with a no-pip spell like the kind you get from your wand...That's not cool.

Myrna Dragoncloud, Grandmaster.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I rarely use traps; I find them a waste of time.

That said, if I'm in a group with friends and the instance requires traps, they are there for everyone to use. As much as I like doing the damage myself (probably why I love storm so much), if the person beside me can kill the boss, then I will help her do it.

Different story if I'm alone and you port to me uninvited. In that case, don't you dare touch a thing; I've spent forever setting up, and I'll be darned if you ruin it with a wand hit.

@Balance princess~ my balance wizard got the badge before the release of Azteca (meaning that I had no potent traps or sharpened blades); your best bet is to buy an off-school treasure card and find a friend of another school to help you, since the other schools all boost against each other and have more blades than we do.

My balance wizard did it with a Centaur tc. My Life friend and I visited Lord Nightshade, who is death; my Death wizard also went to see Nightshade, but he used a colossal prismed wraith and brought an Ice friend (to put the dark pacts on him); Storm soloed hers at level 64, with a leviathan, versus a lumbering troll in Cyclops Lane.

Good luck!

-von

Laura
Valerian
Sestiva
Tavia
Patrick
Tara
Angie

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
Dr Von on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:

That said, if I'm in a group with friends and the instance requires traps, they are there for everyone to use. As much as I like doing the damage myself (probably why I love storm so much), if the person beside me can kill the boss, then I will help her do it.

Different story if I'm alone and you port to me uninvited. In that case, don't you dare touch a thing; I've spent forever setting up, and I'll be darned if you ruin it with a wand hit.

@Balance princess~ my balance wizard got the badge before the release of Azteca (meaning that I had no potent traps or sharpened blades); your best bet is to buy an off-school treasure card and find a friend of another school to help you, since the other schools all boost against each other and have more blades than we do.

My balance wizard did it with a Centaur tc. My Life friend and I visited Lord Nightshade, who is death; my Death wizard also went to see Nightshade, but he used a colossal prismed wraith and brought an Ice friend (to put the dark pacts on him); Storm soloed hers at level 64, with a leviathan, versus a lumbering troll in Cyclops Lane.

Good luck!

-von

Laura
Valerian
Sestiva
Tavia
Patrick
Tara
Angie
Thx for the tip Dr.Von and yeah I'm balance so it's pretty much open season on anything I put out there Too

Explorer
May 08, 2014
It depends on situation and things they used for that trap... i dont use traps a lot either and consider blades priority, depending on situation again. But usually if someone used my trap its cause of accident or that moment when both of you choose to pick a card same time.

Survivor
Dec 01, 2013
Dr Von on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:

Good luck!

-von

Laura
Valerian
Sestiva
Tavia
Patrick
Tara
Angie
I agree with you about the wasting time thing.

Explorer
May 29, 2014
Balance princess on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
Aw thx ur too kind but no thx....i don't even think i can do it without treasure cards at this point LOL
Lol I have balance treasure cards because I have a mastery Amulet XD you can use them :3

Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
Well I spent 8 turns getting a potent and normal feint on each Morganthe (with help with one other person because the max amount of feints I could have in my deck was 6) . Then a fire just used rain of fire
randomly, which kind of wasted the traps because the first hut on the attack doesn't really do much damage unless it goes critical, it's the overtime that matters.