Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is it possible some spells could be "reworked"?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 05, 2013
I think that every spell in the game should be useful in some situation. Unfortunately, many spells have become obsolete and useless. Would KI ever consider changing a few spells to either make them relevant to higher level wizards or make them more unique?
To better explain my idea, I have a few examples.
Power play is pretty much useless. There is no reason, even when you first learn the spell, you would waste 4 pips to give both you and your opponent higher power pip chance. Even in pvp, doom and gloom is better used to win the bubble war (if you REALLY don't like that darkwind or whatever). I'm not really sure what other kind of bubble would fit balance, but power play needs to be changed.
Stormzilla is not unique at all. It is essentially a slightly weaker and cheaper triton. Not only this, but triton is learned before stormzilla. This creates a feeling of "wait, aren't I supposed to be getting more powerful spells?" and encourages players not to use it. I feel like stormzilla should be a DOT, give a blade after it hits, or something like that to differentiate it from other storm spells.
So does anyone agree/disagree with changing some spells? I really feel like this is something the game developers should look into.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
This is my favorite kind of thread, it's actually about brainstorming and generating ideas!

Spells not only can be reworked, they probably should be.
  1. I agree with the original poster, Power Play serves little purpose and costs too many pips. I see extremely low level players use it to make PvP bouts faster, and usually the party that casts Power Play ends up losing as they lose so many pips. Hard to think of alternative functions, but here's one: reduce all hits by 25% power. A weakness bubble.

2. KI has purposefully never given storm a learnable DoT spell, for better or worse--people obviously will shield against storm, and without multiple strikes to remove shields, that just encourages spam bolting behavior which everyone hates. Perhaps KI should consider giving certain Storm spells a 25-50% chance of striking twice, and then revise the damage dealt to make the spells appropriately weaker. (Example, Storm Snake currently deals something like 115-135 damage, but could be reworked to have a 50% chance of dealing 45 damage and then 45 more damage in two hits.) Or, maybe just give certain Storm spells a chance of a single round DoT effect--there's no reason DoT all have to be 3 rounds. Developers could also use these principles to revise Wild Bolt if they wanted. The main reason people overuse it is because they are tired of endless shields interrupting them.

3. I don't see practical use for Reduce Threat spells in PvP. Although yes, you could use them on a minion, no one actually carries these in deck except for new players who don't understand the spells and end up wasting their turn. Remove all Threat spells from PvP.

4. Make Humongofrog faster. And not only is it slow, it's confusing. I can't even tell what it's hitting with, is the barf acidic and that's what hurts, or do the barf bubbles just explode with a megaton blast?

Maybe more later, running out of characters.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Sorry i disagree KI may tweak the damage of spells like stormzilla but may never happen because it was one of the original spells same with powerplay yeah it may be a bit useless but low pip chance wizards use it all the time

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
whatsup76 on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
I think that every spell in the game should be useful in some situation. Unfortunately, many spells have become obsolete and useless. Would KI ever consider changing a few spells to either make them relevant to higher level wizards or make them more unique?
To better explain my idea, I have a few examples.
Power play is pretty much useless. There is no reason, even when you first learn the spell, you would waste 4 pips to give both you and your opponent higher power pip chance. Even in pvp, doom and gloom is better used to win the bubble war (if you REALLY don't like that darkwind or whatever). I'm not really sure what other kind of bubble would fit balance, but power play needs to be changed.
Stormzilla is not unique at all. It is essentially a slightly weaker and cheaper triton. Not only this, but triton is learned before stormzilla. This creates a feeling of "wait, aren't I supposed to be getting more powerful spells?" and encourages players not to use it. I feel like stormzilla should be a DOT, give a blade after it hits, or something like that to differentiate it from other storm spells.
So does anyone agree/disagree with changing some spells? I really feel like this is something the game developers should look into.
Power Play should just be replaced by a spell people will use; no reworking, just remove it and replace it with something real. It's like Balance doesn't even get a spell at that level.
Doom and Gloom, pretty much the same thing.

I have no problem with Stormzilla but it should be given before Triton.